Sign in to follow this  
K-MART

Too Young to be a Snowbird?

I live up north and am tired of the fucking cold winters.  I am looking for suggestions for places to spend the winter.  I work remotely so I can be pretty much anywhere with solid phone and internet connections. I plan to do 3-6 months down there starting next year.

My requirements:

• Place to easily launch a small foiling dinghy, moth, UFO, Waszp etc. (local fleets a plus)
  • Wind!
  • Within an hour or two of a decent sized airport
  • Active big boat fleet that races in the winter would be nice but not the biggest concern
  • Not terribly expensive ie I can rent a modest place for less than a grand- $1,500

Flame away!

19 minutes ago, K-MART said:

I live up north and am tired of the fucking cold winters.  I am looking for suggestions for places to spend the winter.  I work remotely so I can be pretty much anywhere with solid phone and internet connections. I plan to do 3-6 months down there starting next year.

My requirements:

• Place to easily launch a small foiling dinghy, moth, UFO, Waszp etc. (local fleets a plus)
  • Wind!
  • Active big boat fleet that races in the winter would be nice but not the biggest concern
  • Not terribly expensive ie I can rent a modest place for less than a grand- $1,500

Flame away!

SC

everything was looking good for a recommendation on the southern west coast of the u.s., right up until you said "a grand-$1,500".

...take the rent variable away, and long beach and san diego would have foiling boats and nearby airports.

27 minutes ago, full circle said:

everything was looking good for a recommendation on the southern west coast of the u.s., right up until you said "a grand-$1,500".

...take the rent variable away, and long beach and san diego would have foiling boats and nearby airports.

I would love to live in Socal but man it is pricey!

Friend of mine was from Northern Michigan.  Wound up living and working in New Orleans.  Asked him how that happened.  Simple, he said.  Put a snow brush on the dashboard of my car and when I got to a place and someone said “what’s that?” I knew I was where I needed to be.

• Like 3

Florida. There is a thread in GA about  sum sum of our neighbors 

12 hours ago, K-MART said:

My requirements:

• Wind!

Flame away!

AustraliaB)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rambler said:

AustraliaB)

Yeah, even in Sydney you can still find a modest place for less than a grand - $1500 a week! ;)

• Like 1

Bali

Thailand

probably plenty of others.

I left Seattle for SF three years ago. I pay well over 3x in rent, but had a cheap place with no rent increases for 10 years up north. I’m in tech, and the increased wages more than make up for the stupid cost of living and the utter shit quality of real estate. I don’t think there has been any maintenance other than sloppy painting since the ‘70s in my current SV condo. The sailing community, wind & weather (except the firestorms) are fantastic.

Bonus: a 30’ slip costs a bit less than a car parking space in the city. If you can get either.

23 hours ago, K-MART said:

My requirements:

• Wind!

Flame away!

22 hours ago, full circle said:

I had already ruled out SoCal before he got to reasonable rent.  His second bullet point is "Wind."  No wind in SoCal in the winter unless a front blows through.  Haven't seen one of those since 2019.

Friend has started to winter in Nicaragua , his apt is $400 month, surfs every morning. Actually very safe and he's a remote internet guy so all he needs is a high speed connection. He says his costs for medical ins, rent, baseball club, food and internet is under 2k a month. Goes for 3 months at a time. 

If you’re ‘working remote’ situation allows for the time zones,  then.. almost anywhere in NZL will have the wind and dinghy/foiling conditions and globally enviable sailing culture.   Several places, from Nelson on the S.Island to well north of Auckland will have a big boat weekend scene and be driving distance to an airport.  Auckland itself is victim to the money laundering driven real estate boom afflicting many Pacific rim metropolises but you dont need to get too far outside for reasonable rents/values.  

On 2/7/2020 at 11:35 AM, K-MART said:

I would love to live in Socal but man it is pricey!

Raise your rates. 

Medical is another good reason to go international. Very low costs, particularly if you go someplace like the Philippines where US parents are occasionally or regularly ignored. But start with basics before you need major treatment so you learn how the system works, who is legit & who isn’t.

Ignoring the increased Bay Area pay and generally poor quality of housing, I was shocked by how much regular sun increased my quality of life, after 20 years in Seattle (and little to no sailing - regular sailing definitely contributes to my overall sense of well-being).

Edit: if Sailing wasn’t next to impossible there, I’d move to Japan in an instant.

In another 16 months, I can quit the daily working rat race, and like the OP, I do NOT enjoy the cold, wintry weather in New England!  Fortunately, both daughters relocated to Charleston, SC some years ago, for college, and then both stayed there, along with quite a few of their classmates, from our Regional tri-town high school.  In a perfect world, we could go there right after Thanksgiving, or Christmas for 2-3 months, until Frostbite racing starts again in March.  Not plugged into the sailing scene down there, but I believe there is winter racing down there on several levels. Charleston is definitely worth investigating, for the OP.  It is very cosmopolitan, for a large southern city, where the first shots of the Civil War were fired.  Unlike Boston, or Manhattan, with towering skyscrapers, creating a shadowed concrete jungle, they never allowed buildings taller than their Church spires, except for a few 4 story Medical buildings, in downtown Charleston.   I would not want to be there, in the oppressive heat and humidity of July or August, but for the "Snowbird" months, it's damn near perfect, IMHO!!   I never look on Facebook, but my profile pic is both daughters and me sailing around Fort Sumter, in a borrowed Colgate 26, drinking beers, Christmas day, some years back......

Warmest place in Canada in the winter, is the Gulf Islands. Meets all your requirements, except, the water is too cold for dinky sailing. The power can go off sometimes ( last night ) and the cable can go down ( yesterday ) But the Hydro crews are good, and Christmas of 2018, they had us reconnected in a week. You could probably rent half my Island within your budget. Otherwise, Panama.