NZK

Mountain bike anarchy...

OK - I'm looking for 2nd hand mtn bikes and choices are quite limited locally but I have found these two:

2017 Specialized Enduro Elite Carbon - 27.5" wheels, SRAM 1x gears, XT brakes, rockshox front and back

2018 Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy 29er - X9 2x drivetrain, Fox rear and Rockshox up front. 

They're within a couple of hundred of eachother, no massive difference. The Enduro looks to be a higher spec - details are scant on the adverts so I'm going to look at them both

The 29er Stumpjumper is theoretically better suited in terms of wheel size, geometry etc for the majority of riding I'm likely to do but with the Enduro being carbon and (I think) better spec'd I can't decide if it's the better choice for the money...? 

Anyone ride either of these and got feedback? Will the Enduro really struggle on longer rides or is it just a bit more to muscle uphill and get results for the descent? I can't find any recorded weights of the Stumpy but the Enduro comes in around 14kg/30lbs - any info ont he alloy stumpy weights?

Enduro.JPG

Stumpy.JPG

Its always buyer-beware with a carbon frame. If its been ridden hard by the previous owner there could be hidden damage.

Stumpjumper is a well-proven tough bike. 

Specs are good on paper but often make little difference for a rider who is smashing about at the weekends. 

I ride an Orange Five Pro but the Stumpjumper was in my top three when I made the purchase.

• Like 1

Not to derail this thread but I like the trend of calling these "gravel" bikes for the rest of us.

lots of very good quality 26'' mt bikes out there CHEAP

REALLY MATTERS WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH IT AND WHERE

race or just ride how far ect

my gary fisher is under 25 lbs with a rock shock on a hard tail alloy frame

minor repair bent rear derailed hanger and some spokes about $50 all in cheap

Rode hell out of my Stumpy 29’er h/t.  You get them down to 27# and with the right rubber they are fairly precise all-rounders if you want that old school  h/t ride.  Easy to work on.   Built tough.

Stumpjumper for me. Rode one around the Derby trails in Tasmania 18 months ago. Was a lot of fun...until I came off and broke a collarbone :o

23lbs of joy and simplicity. Too bad the motor is getting old.

100_7201-XL.jpg

Friends don't let friends buy used carbon frames.

28 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Stumpjumper for me. Rode one around the Derby trails in Tasmania 18 months ago. Was a lot of fun...until I came off and broke a collarbone :o

SOP for bicyclists. Like running aground, 

24 minutes ago, bmiller said:

100_7201-XL.jpg

Loves me my hardtail.

This thread has inspired me to fix-a-flat. Damn. The glue went South since the last time!

20200210_114323.jpg

Went for the Stumpy - thanks all for helping common sense prevail. Fuck me 29ers are big rigs, wheeled it into the appartement and immediately realised I had underestimated how much space it takes up...

@bmiller that is a classy looking ride 

11 minutes ago, NZK said:

Went for the Stumpy - thanks all for helping common sense prevail. Fuck me 29ers are big rigs, wheeled it into the appartement and immediately realised I had underestimated how much space it takes up...

Yea but watch how they climb.  More rubber = more grip and the rest up to you.  Lite wheelset the way to go if weight an issue.  Stans tubeless wheelsets were pretty ok on most terrain.

I had one of the first factory 29'ers, a Diamondback Overdrive Comp hardtail, steel. It had the whole set of Suntour GreaseGuard components so you could flush all the bearings in the hubs, freewheel, and pedals with clean grease in about 5 minutes. I commuted on it for thousands of miles in Seattle's shitty weather and went through multiple cassettes, chainrings, and chains. What a great machine.

1 hour ago, NZK said:

Thanks, it's my first 29er and first single speed. You're going to like your new ride. Congratulations.

14 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

SOP for bicyclists. Like running aground, 

Loves me my hardtail.

This thread has inspired me to fix-a-flat. Damn. The glue went South since the last time!

20200210_114323.jpg

Straps on a HT MTB?? Man that'd be too much trouble switching from uphill to downhill. And if you forget before the downhill and get messy that'd get messy really quick. At least with SPD cleats you can clipout quickly.

4 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Straps on a HT MTB?? Man that'd be too much trouble switching from uphill to downhill. And if you forget before the downhill and get messy that'd get messy really quick. At least with SPD cleats you can clipout quickly.

I switch back and forth with the clipless depending on the intended use. 

On 2/10/2020 at 10:15 AM, bmiller said:

100_7201-XL.jpg

Fuck, my vintage Italian road bike weights 23 lbs. 

On 2/10/2020 at 1:15 PM, bmiller said:

100_7201-XL.jpg

That's a sweet looking bike especially at that weight and the single speed helps with that. 29r or 27.5? 

Here's a single speed fly wheel 29r with semi slick tires, while its not technically a mountain bike, I did manage to city ride the sh*t out of for 5 or six years. One of the best rides I've had. Stomps major urban potholes, great climber, rips off the line for acceleration and over all sweet ride. Only draw back is one break and big slick wheels no good for downhill trails or any snow or mud. Weighs in with a big honking frame at 29 pounds. Note the fatter BMX style pedals. I don't ride with anything else.

IMG_0555.thumb.JPG.a7cfb9bfee9d1de27d3aae0019113ad1.JPG

To make up for the lack of downhill ability in mud or snow, this is my B-team all season glorified commuter. Like my above ride, from SE Racing, this bike also has BMX roots and is made by Haro. Its a great sub 1K get around bike that can handle city streets and happy trails, but might not be a billy goat or hard core downhiller(though actually pretty good for mellow steep grade downhill, the 27.5 wheels are great). These days, the rear cassette technology allows for a decent 8 speed with single medium/small front chain ring with no derailleur...this is becoming popular on a lot of casual commuters and, unless your super hardcore competing, these set ups are becoming the less complicated way to go. Generally, I'd say unless you're going strictly downhill/chairlift kind of stuff, go hardtail. 

Brooks seats on both of these bikes. I really don't see any other option as I ride casually to get around and comfort supersedes any weight penalty.

IMG_0970.thumb.JPG.dc4c36a920530bff62d8d595bf258e25.JPG

Can't help with the OP cause I'm a Surly luddite.  One year in, two wheelsets, man I love this bike.  And BMiller's, that's purty!

IMG_5982.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Owen said:

Can't help with the OP cause I'm a Surly luddite.  One year in, two wheelsets, man I love this bike.  And BMiller's, that's purty!

IMG_5982.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg

Slick bagger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owen said:

IMG_5982.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg

Awesome looking bike. What's the contraption under the seat?

And thanks, I like my SS 29er. Simplicity, if it's too steep I simply walk it up. Some days it's just a very expensive hiking accessories.

Thanks!  contraption= Cane Creek Thudbuster.  smoothes the ride a bit, I like it.  Not pretty though!