gkconnor91

Want to get into Finn (open to suggestions, though)

Hello! So I am interested in learning to sail Finn. I’ve never sailed before, but I’ve been interested in sailing for a while. So, a little about me, I’m 26, I live in the Bay Area of Cali, I’m 225lbs/102kg. I’m 5’10”. So, before I’m told to lose weight and sail Lasers, I’m a competitive Olympic weightlifter, so losing weight would mean losing muscle for me. Im not sure if it matters, but I squat 410lbs/186kg, deadlift 495lbs/225kgs, snatch 100kg and clean and jerk 120kg. I’m adding this info, because it seems some boats are a bit more strength reliant. Like I said, I’m interested in sailing as a whole, and would definitely love to be competitive within it. I’d even be interested in learning a crew boat. Thank you all for your time!

• Like 2

Congrats on the big lifts, I don't think I was even close to those numbers when I played high school ball (longer ago than I remember it being...)

Your height and weight are good for Finns and you would be competitive in all conditions. The fleet is in a bit of flux at the moment since the boat won't be in the Olympics after this summer, so recruiting and retaining young sailors is a big priority for the class especially since it will be very Master-heavy when the National team guys start moving on.

However, it is a fun, physical boat that has a lot of very tactically good guys on the line and I absolutely love the class.

I don't know if the Finn is the best boat to learn to sail from square one. I'm sure people have done it and survived, but there exists the potential for either very bloody or very expensive learning processes. (falling on the centerboard, shattering masts, ripping sails, trying to right a 260lb boat in the very chilly Bay with the tide going out...)

I'd advise that you go find a mentor at the club most convenient to you or a sailing school operation and learn how to sail on a Sunfish/Laser/J/24/Colgate 26/whatever and figure out tacking, gybing, capsizing, mark rounding, et al, and once you're comfortable with the basic racing format and your seamanship skills then come out and play with the big boys, we'd love to have you. There are a couple loaner boats in California off the top of my head (including one with a Very sexy cheetah-print deck) so you wouldn't have to start blowing cash right out the gate, but obviously eventually you'd get your own boat to tweak to your needs.

Treasure Island Sailing Center was started with heavy involvement by Caleb Paine, the 2016 Finn Bronze Medalist, and he shows up there sometimes, he currently lives in the Bay but I'm sure is very busy gearing up for the end of the Trials and Tokyo later this summer, it's a US Sailing sanctioned operation so that could be a good jumping off point (https://www.tisailing.org/)

There's a lot of class activity in Long Beach/San Diego but there are some guys in the Bay, shoot an email to norcal@finnusa.org and Michael will get you sorted out, paging @Amati @some dude @View from the back they probably have a better handle on what's going on in the Golden State.

Also make sure to like North American Finn Class, California Finn Association, Great Lakes Finn, etc. on Facebook, lots of information comes out first that way before it makes it to the national site (http://www.finnusa.org/)

• Like 4

Finn sailing dies. It require much strength. It requires the ability to endure long periods of exertion.

in weightlifter terms??

*Consider holding a weight for six minutes. 
*consider holding  a Leg lift with eighty pounds for six minutes

*stop your sit up when your shoulders are two inches from the floor and stay in that  position for six minutes

*sit on a long simple bench.( preferably one that is very heavy or bolted to the floor  Hook your toes in under the bench and slide back until your butt is off the bench. 
if it is a heavy bench lean back and lift the other end just barely off the floor.

lift that other  end up and down without letting it touch the floor. 

Go to try bank, withdraw $30,000 Hand it to someone and then get $5,000 back.

Go back to the bank and get $5000 every few weeks and burn that $$$

if all this seems like fun... you may want a Finn 

**+ have a friend throw buckets of ice water at you while you do that bench balancing thing. If that increases your fun, you may like Finn sailing in San Francisco Bay 

***Get in a  cussing match with six of your friends. If you can use a 33 syllable cuss word that offends their mothers, girlfriends, sisters, their religion, and suggests they have never met their real fathers.... without either running out of breath or letting the feet on the other end of the bench touch the floor, you might be able to get a good start. 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Nobody is paying $30k for a starter boat and certainly nobody outside of national teams are spending $5k every other week. There is a starter boat on the class site for $4k all inclusive and a very nice boat for $7.5k all up. Used Aeros are going for similar numbers.

55 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

***Get in a  cussing match with six of your friends. If you can use a 33 syllable cuss word that offends their mothers, girlfriends, sisters, their religion, and suggests they have never met their real fathers.... without either running out of breath or letting the feet on the other end of the bench touch the floor, you might be able to get a good start. 

I think there was ONE protest in North America in FY2019 which involved room at a windward mark and a collision that resulted in minor damage; the protest was filed for insurance purposes.

• Like 1

Check out an OK too. Good international scene that's is only a notch below the Olympic Finn, but probably isn't too dissimilar to what the Finns will be like post Tokyo. However, because they haven't have 70 years of Olympic level refinement they're quite a bit cheaper.  

Not as heavy a boat, so easier to move around on shore... not that you need much help moving weight! 

In fact, get a finn, forget about sailing, just car top it to events, rig and de-rig and push up and down the slip... perfect cross training with no need to get wet! 

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/10/14/ok-dinghy-class-reborn-in-the-usa/

4 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Where did I write anything about protests?? 

You insinuated that starts were uncouth screaming matches; starts and races in general have been very civilized, gentlemanly affairs.

2 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

In fact, get a finn, forget about sailing, just car top it to events, rig and de-rig and push up and down the slip... perfect cross training with no need to get wet! 

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2019/10/14/ok-dinghy-class-reborn-in-the-usa/

Sounds like a recipe for a crushed roof and a hernia! :wacko:

Work Smarter Not Harder!

E2B4C1B8-1523-46FA-BA04-87B4CD09F04D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Damn!! I miss the days when Finn sailors had a sense of humor!!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Finn sailing dies. It require much strength. It requires the ability to endure long periods of exertion.

in weightlifter terms??

*stop your sit up when your shoulders are two inches from the floor and stay in that  position for six minutes

*sit on a long simple bench.( preferably one that is very heavy or bolted to the floor  Hook your toes in under the bench and slide back until your butt is off the bench. 
if it is a heavy bench lean back and lift the other end just barely off the floor.

**+ have a friend throw buckets of ice water at you while you do that bench balancing thing. If that increases your fun, you may like Finn sailing in San Francisco Bay 

WTF ?  Ignore all of gouversnails rant. I don't know why he feels that he has to trash the finn in order to support laser sailing. Finn sailors don't discourage anorexic midgets from sailing the laser along with the ladies and children. His estimation of costs are completely and outrageously false.

Finns are awesome boats ( not boards like lasers sunfish etc ) that have proven themselves over many decades and will thrive whether or not they remain in the olympics. The finn can handle big breeze and big seas better than any other dinghy by far.  Nice  entry level boats are like 5K . Like someone above mentioned, look on the finn website for more info. The big fleet on the west coast is down south but if you get in touch with them, they will hook you up. 

I have been sailing for many years and the finn class is no doubt the best group and most fun group of sailors that I have ever been around ( star is close second ). I sailed the master worlds last year with 270 boats and there was 1 protest all week. Finn sailors respect each other because they know how physical the boat is.

Great boat to learn on. Good luck, feel free to pm me for more info.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

Damn!! I miss the days when Finn sailors had a sense of humor!!

Sarcasm is hard to discern over text, especially in a thread started by someone new to sailing who might take everything you said at face value.

I know how much you've done to grow and support the sport, some of your posts come across as more than good natured-fun and guys like @surf nazi and I who care a lot about the boat tend to come out guns blazing.

I hope you have a great turnout at the Easter Regatta and other AYC events this year and that the Laser and Aero fleets continue to grow and mature just as the Finn fleet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

I hope you have a great turnout at the Easter Regatta and other AYC events this year and that the Laser and Aero fleets continue to grow and mature just as the Finn fleet.

I think the Laser fleet is doing all that it can to avoid maturing just as the Finn has.;)

But well into its 40s, it is surely at least middle aged?

697314149_LaserMasters.thumb.jpg.f399151457e01000dfd0d14a8ae108dd.jpg

I appreciate all the help gents! I emailed the NorCal Finn club, so I’m just waiting on a word back from them. Currently going through the sailing clubs to see what their fleets offer! I really appreciate the help (I’m military, so I can handle snide ass sarcasm ;) ) Thanks everyone!

1 hour ago, gkconnor91 said:

I appreciate all the help gents! I emailed the NorCal Finn club, so I’m just waiting on a word back from them. Currently going through the sailing clubs to see what their fleets offer! I really appreciate the help (I’m military, so I can handle snide ass sarcasm ;) ) Thanks everyone!

FWIW, a softer mast will make your introduction to the Finn a lot easier. A Finn is delightful with a soft mast, but not usually as fast.  We’re living up north now, so I can’t be a lot of help with the No Cal scene.  Enjoy the boat!  Tiller extension feel is ridiculously good.

In all seriousness.. Finn sailors have always been proud of the fact they are the tough guys sailing on the brutal boats and the “32 syllable cuss word  to get a decent start” has been a standard Finn sailor joke since at least the sixties when I was told,  “One of the reasons you can’t sail A Finn is you are only 179 lbs. if you get up to 210 you will be too fat to sail a Finn. 
And, Until you master the use of an effective 32 syllable cuss word you will be spit out the back at the start.”

another relatively honest description? 
sailing most boats well is a lot like figure skating. Hockey players sail Finns.

Another:

the Finn fleet will never really get the right US athletes to be dominant in the world because there is way more money to be earned playing middle linebacker 

• Like 4

On 2/11/2020 at 11:02 PM, Gouvernail said:

in weightlifter terms??

You sound soft

On 2/11/2020 at 4:23 PM, gkconnor91 said:

Hello! So I am interested in learning to sail Finn. I’ve never sailed before, but I’ve been interested in sailing for a while. So, a little about me, I’m 26, I live in the Bay Area of Cali, I’m 225lbs/102kg. I’m 5’10”. So, before I’m told to lose weight and sail Lasers, I’m a competitive Olympic weightlifter, so losing weight would mean losing muscle for me. Im not sure if it matters, but I squat 410lbs/186kg, deadlift 495lbs/225kgs, snatch 100kg and clean and jerk 120kg. I’m adding this info, because it seems some boats are a bit more strength reliant. Like I said, I’m interested in sailing as a whole, and would definitely love to be competitive within it. I’d even be interested in learning a crew boat. Thank you all for your time!

Finn is a lot of race car if you're starting from scratch, but you are the right size. PM me and let's talk.

5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

In all seriousness.. Finn sailors have always been proud of the fact they are the tough guys sailing on the brutal boats and the “32 syllable cuss word  to get a decent start” has been a standard Finn sailor joke since at least the sixties when I was told,  “One of the reasons you can’t sail A Finn is you are only 179 lbs. if you get up to 210 you will be too fat to sail a Finn. 
And, Until you master the use of an effective 32 syllable cuss word you will be spit out the back at the start.”

another relatively honest description? 
sailing most boats well is a lot like figure skating. Hockey players sail Finns.

Another:

the Finn fleet will never really get the right US athletes to be dominant in the world because there is way more money to be earned playing middle linebacker 

Strong like bull

Smart like tractor 

• Like 3

#%*%#?$@$@#%*)@@$”€^%#*+!|>€#&)@%}*+!!!!!!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Old Yeller said:

#%*%#?$@$@#%*)@@$”€^%#*+!|>€#&)@%}*+!!!!!!

You have to use it in a sentence that includes a demand for a certain space on the water and do so in a manner that would make a typical OK Dinghy sailor cry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

You have to use it in a sentence that includes a demand for a certain space on the water and do so in a manner that would make a typical OK Dinghy sailor cry.

Ok I’ll practice on some of the juniors at frostbite this weekend.

• Like 1

Speaking of aggressive starts. I’ve seen my share in the Laser class. It usually involved Europeans. My first taste of it was at CORK,  ‘88 or’89. Very large fleet like 70+ boats on the line if memory serves. Starts were 3-4 rows deep. Boats jammed up against each other, people screaming in foreign languages. People started pushing boats off of theirs. Off course they pushed them back off the line. People started defending themselves by whacking their tiller extension on people’s hands as they tried to push them back. Quite a show for a 17 year old kid! We looked up to the Finn sailors like legends. I still want to be one when I grow up.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 9:34 AM, Old Yeller said:

Ok I’ll practice on some of the juniors at frostbite this weekend.

No no no!! Finn sailors are manly men and would never pick on anybody under 40

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

No no no!! Finn sailors are manly men and would never pick on anybody under 40

Or sailors with all their teeth.  

• Like 1

Another oldie: 

How do you select the finn sailors from a line-up.....?

Throw bricks at them...the ones who dodge the bricks....they'll be the 470 sailors

Those that don't flinch......they'll be the Flying Dutchie boys

The ones that head but the brick back at you...!!!...Yep, you found the Finn sailors!

• Like 6

On 2/12/2020 at 2:02 AM, Gouvernail said:

in weightlifter terms??

6 hours ago, Couta said:

Another oldie: 

How do you select the finn sailors from a line-up.....?

Throw bricks at them...the ones who dodge the bricks....they'll be the 470 sailors

Those that don't flinch......they'll be the Flying Dutchie boys

The ones that head but the brick back at you...!!!...Yep, you found the Finn sailors!

this thread has some hilarious posts - i love it! reading this i'd be proud to be a finn sailor

• Like 1

Let's go up you fucking cunt let's do it before the wet from your mother's snatch dries and the rash from your sister the nun starts to itch again!

^ Like that?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slim said:

Let's go up you fucking cunt let's do it before the wet from your mother's snatch dries and the rash from your sister the nun starts to itch again!

^ Like that?

On 2/13/2020 at 7:23 AM, Gouvernail said:

That’s because the OK, in some ways, is harder to sail.  Really hard to think of a long inventive cuss when that chine digs in.  ‘Fuck’ or ‘Shit’ really have to do. Although Axel claimed a choked little boy scream worked, and after mulling that one over, I realized I had heard it, especially in a chop, but then realized it was me.....

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:23 PM, gkconnor91 said:

While you you are a little on the heavy side for the Laser, 102 kg isn't the end of the world. My concern is that the Finn is very complex for a beginner - you have all of the adjustments (when sailing) that a Laser has, then a whole lot more. Making mistakes (and you will) on a Laser, will be more forgiving on your bank balance. In the Bay area you have lots of options, though it is particularly well set up for the Laser. There are plenty of people to race against, always other beginners, top coaches who won't teach you bad habits... and the people there are helpful and more about fun (though deadly serious at big events) than many other areas.

I've raced the Laser weighing 110 kg, was a little slower downwind and in some conditions - but I was sailing against some very good sailors. Still had a blast.

If there is a great club in the Bay area that caters for Finns (or some other class), has a good fleet - then go for it! :) 

On 2/11/2020 at 7:23 PM, gkconnor91 said:

Those numbers help. You will win races if the start line is near the dock. With those numbers, you can just throw the boat, then do a flying leap aboard and you'll already be doing 5 knots.

Also you would be a great star boat crew. You could even launch the boat by hand if the car loses a gearbox.

For the finn, you can car top without that tractor upthread. Just lift it up and put it there. Piece of cake. IT only weighs 260 lb.

On the serious side, I think your geometry is favourable to the finn for sure. Star too.

I know two stories concerning Finn sailors, both on Sydney Harbour many moons ago.

One concerns an older sailor thrashing himself upwind in a stiff NEer, his body aching from the hiking and receiving the odd bruise or two he got from thrashing around in the boat. He passed a 30 ft yacht with the crew lounging back scoffing the odd beer or two, and downing some home cooked cuisine. That looks so much better than this stuff, he thought, so a few weeks later he sold the Finn and joined a local yacht club... The moral of the story here, Finns are a hard boat to sail in strong winds, especially as you get older.

Then there was the time when a Finn sailor called starboard on a 18 foot skiff, the skiffies told him to get stuffed, and sailed past, so the Finn sailor leaned out and grabbed their leeward tiller extension and sent them into the drink, "Next time when I call starboard I mean STARBOARD you pricks!" Never mess with a disgruntled Finn sailor!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

I know two stories concerning Finn sailors, both on Sydney Harbour many moons ago.

One concerns an older sailor thrashing himself upwind in a stiff NEer, his body aching from the hiking and receiving the odd bruise or two he got from thrashing around in the boat. He passed a 30 ft yacht with the crew lounging back scoffing the odd beer or two, and downing some home cooked cuisine. That looks so much better than this stuff, he thought, so a few weeks later he sold the Finn and joined a local yacht club... The moral of the story here, Finns are a hard boat to sail in strong winds, especially as you get older.

Then there was the time when a Finn sailor called starboard on a 18 foot skiff, the skiffies told him to get stuffed, and sailed past, so the Finn sailor leaned out and grabbed their leeward tiller extension and sent them into the drink, "Next time when I call starboard I mean STARBOARD you pricks!" Never mess with a disgruntled Finn sailor!

IF that second story is true I want to see the video!!! That's hilarious!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sneaky Duck said:

IF that second story is true I want to see the video!!! That's hilarious!!!

Tall-Tales-620x400.jpg

Image may contain: one or more people, boat, ocean, sky, outdoor, water and nature

Henry looking pretty good winning his 3rd Legends Trophy at the 2019 Finn World Masters. 75 years young!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Image may contain: one or more people, boat, ocean, sky, outdoor, water and nature

Henry looking pretty good winning his 3rd Legends Trophy at the 2019 Finn World Masters. 75 years young!

he was 17th overall in a fleet of 248 Finns, at 75 years of age! unreal!

• Like 1

Henry was my mentor when I started sailing seriously at the Long Beach Naval Station sailing facility. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me in my life at the time. I was just starting High School and the Naval Sailing Club had been gifted with Henry as the club sailing coach. He was still on active duty as a part of the Apollo recovery team and was officially assigned to the Swim Recovery Team on the USS Ranger but had been given TAD (Temporary Additional Assignment) to the NSC and it was a blessing. I worshipped him at the time and still do to this day. He used to come up with the best sailing drills evey for the Navy brats like myself who were lucky enough to be part of his program.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

In this pic,  he is leading the fleet at the first mark in last year's world masters. Big breeze and seas.  I was way behind him. He is truly amazing. He had some awesome starts.   

1 hour ago, surf nazi said:

In this pic,  he is leading the fleet at the first mark in last year's world masters. Big breeze and seas.  I was way behind him. He is truly amazing. He had some awesome starts.   

How did you finish? 

On 4/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, Rasputin22 said:

How did you finish? 

Not near as good as Henry. I'm not really experienced in starting in the huge fleets ( 130 boats on the starting line ). It was my first time in a monster big finn fleet, lots of contact, lots of bad words, booms flying by your head, realizing why the europeans wear helmets, cold water , big seas. It just took me a while to handle the chaos.  By the last day, I finally figured it out and was ready to sail the regatta...oops too late.   Top third overall, top 20 in age group ( don't ask ).  Not what I had hoped for but it could have been much worse. 

What I learned about starting was to either set up way early and hold your spot for 3 minutes or do a dip start. Dip start was the easiest way to go . I'll be ready next time !!  

• Like 2

Good for you sn. How big a fleet is there on Mobile Bay/Fairhope these days? When I lived in Fairhope long before I sailed off to the Caribbean, I bought a Force Five and trained hoping to go to the big regattas in that class. Alec Thigpen, a Mobile sailor won the Nationals a couple years I recall. 

23 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Good for you sn. How big a fleet is there on Mobile Bay/Fairhope these days? When I lived in Fairhope long before I sailed off to the Caribbean, I bought a Force Five and trained hoping to go to the big regattas in that class. Alec Thigpen, a Mobile sailor won the Nationals a couple years I recall. 

We have a great fleet on Mobile Bay sailing out of Buccaneer yacht club. There are 10 active sailors and maybe 15 boats. We host a national event at least every other year and generally have a fleet of 25 or so for those events with as many as 35 every once and a while. The US finn fleet loves coming to mobile bay as it's a convenient venue with a nice seabreeze most of the year ,  great facilities at both BYC and FYC for launching and recovering and both clubs are very friendly and enjoy having the finns race here on a regular schedule. 

Besides the racing, our fleet sails 3-5 days a week with  usually 5 boats or more. Other than San Diego, we are the biggest finn fleet in the US and we travel. Two of us went to copenhagen last year for the world masters and 5-9 competed in nationals and/ or north american masters. It's really the only active one design fleet on Mobile Bay and the most active on the entire northern gulf coast.   Yes, I love it. 

• Like 2

If I were to live in Mobile I would certainly sail a finn--even though I never have! Thanks for briefly describing the positive active fleet there.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:50 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Henry was my mentor when I started sailing seriously at the Long Beach Naval Station sailing facility. Probably the best thing that ever happened to me in my life at the time. I was just starting High School and the Naval Sailing Club had been gifted with Henry as the club sailing coach. He was still on active duty as a part of the Apollo recovery team and was officially assigned to the Swim Recovery Team on the USS Ranger but had been given TAD (Temporary Additional Assignment) to the NSC and it was a blessing. I worshipped him at the time and still do to this day. He used to come up with the best sailing drills evey for the Navy brats like myself who were lucky enough to be part of his program.

I’m closing the deal, hopefully, tomm on his old #828.    I feel lucky.   And, having learned how to sail in Finns back on the Charles River in the ‘70’s, theres no better boat to get back into racing and have some fun.  I missed racing and guys like Henry.  I’m amped.

Finns rule.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

I’m closing the deal, hopefully, tomm on his old #828.    I feel lucky.   And, having learned how to sail in Finns back on the Charles River in the ‘70’s, theres no better boat to get back into racing and have some fun.  I missed racing and guys like Henry.  I’m amped.

Finns rule.

Where?

2 hours ago, some dude said:

Where?

Looks like Mission Bay and prolly ABYC.  

11 hours ago, some dude said:

Where?

It’s real quiet out there.   No word about summer series or just informal stuff.

Where you at and what are you hearing?

25 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

It’s real quiet out there.   No word about summer series or just informal stuff.

Where you at and what are you hearing?

OC. We've been going out-I'll PM you

On 2/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, gkconnor91 said:

I believe you mentioned you haven't sailed before?  Do yourself a favor and get some sailing lessons, (like a lot of them) first on a stable sailing platform.  Otherwise you'll end up breaking someone's Finn and you won't like the cost of fixing it.  People who think sailing is simple, (like motor boating) jump into a boat, get humiliated and never come back.  So, do it the right way and you might just fall in love with it.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:50 PM, surf nazi said:

Not near as good as Henry. I'm not really experienced in starting in the huge fleets ( 130 boats on the starting line ). It was my first time in a monster big finn fleet, lots of contact, lots of bad words, booms flying by your head, realizing why the europeans wear helmets, cold water , big seas. It just took me a while to handle the chaos.  By the last day, I finally figured it out and was ready to sail the regatta...oops too late.   Top third overall, top 20 in age group ( don't ask ).  Not what I had hoped for but it could have been much worse. 

What I learned about starting was to either set up way early and hold your spot for 3 minutes or do a dip start. Dip start was the easiest way to go . I'll be ready next time !!  

Yeah man.  Those big fleet starts with International sailors are eye openers for sure!  Same deal with big Laser events.  I still haven't figured out how to get a great start in those big fleets....

On 2/13/2020 at 11:37 AM, Old Yeller said:

Speaking of aggressive starts. I’ve seen my share in the Laser class. It usually involved Europeans. My first taste of it was at CORK,  ‘88 or’89. Very large fleet like 70+ boats on the line if memory serves. Starts were 3-4 rows deep. Boats jammed up against each other, people screaming in foreign languages. People started pushing boats off of theirs. Off course they pushed them back off the line. People started defending themselves by whacking their tiller extension on people’s hands as they tried to push them back. Quite a show for a 17 year old kid! We looked up to the Finn sailors like legends. I still want to be one when I grow up.

I heard a story about a famous Finn sailor who used his paddle and broke the hand of some guy who was holding onto his boat during a start like this.  Long, long time ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobbieB said:

I heard a story about a famous Finn sailor who used his paddle and broke the hand of some guy who was holding onto his boat during a start like this.  Long, long time ago.

The gentleman was Patrick Pym aka Pym the paddle who died not too long ago. He didn't break the other dude's hand but injured his elbow and put a hole in his aft deck. The incident occurred in kiel week early 70's. Pym was UK's rep in the 72 olympics I think. Then went on to be a big part of the development of the needlespar mast for the finn and had quite an illustrious sailing career.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, surf nazi said:

The gentleman was Patrick Pym aka Pym the paddle who died not too long ago. He didn't break the other dude's hand but injured his elbow and put a hole in his aft deck. The incident occurred in kiel week early 70's. Pym was UK's rep in the 72 olympics I think. Then went on to be a big part of the development of the needlespar mast for the finn and had quite an illustrious sailing career.  

6 hours ago, RobbieB said:

https://www.hrsc.org.uk/article/patrick-pym-obituary-

8 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Yeah man.  Those big fleet starts with International sailors are eye openers for sure!  Same deal with big Laser events.  I still haven't figured out how to get a great start in those big fleets....

Practice your boat handling.  Sail every big fleet event.    All else fails:   move to Rhode Island and sail frostbite with fleet #413 in Newport.   Lots of reps there.

It’s part of the 10k hours thing.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:14 PM, blunderfull said:

Finns rule.

Which part of the 70’s?  I was out on the Charles on a sky blue #36 Newport (maybe legal? :lol:) - Bruder mast, North sail- early 70’s- when falling in = skin lesions.....

9 hours ago, Amati said:

Which part of the 70’s?  I was out on the Charles on a sky blue #36 Newport (maybe legal? :lol:) - Bruder mast, North sail- early 70’s- when falling in = skin lesions.....

Cool.   Yea, that would be somewhere between ‘73- ‘76??   CBC had 2-3 Finns.   Then they got their Laser fleet and never saw a Finn there again.  I trained out of CBC.  Worked near the Charles and would bike over after work with my own Laser sail, cb & tiller.   (Their inhouse Laser gear was....well... ‘made for abuse’.).    Good times.

Raced Techs (fiendish little tubs) & Lasers at MIT ‘83-‘93.   Great times.   Hatch Brown’s days at MIT.

The Charles water - yea,  I remember signs on shore prohibiting swimming.   Did they ever clean it up?

28 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Cool.   Yea, that would be somewhere between ‘73- ‘76??   CBC had 2-3 Finns.   Then they got their Laser fleet and never saw a Finn there again.  I trained out of CBC.  Worked near the Charles and would bike over after work with my own Laser sail, cb & tiller.   (Their inhouse Laser gear was....well... ‘made for abuse’.).    Good times.

Raced Techs (fiendish little tubs) & Lasers at MIT ‘83-‘93.   Great times.   Hatch Brown’s days at MIT.

The Charles water - yea,  I remember signs on shore prohibiting swimming.   Did they ever clean it up?

‘73-‘74, out of the Haaahvaaaahd club across the way. Techs were awful, but there were so many of them!  After a comparo between Lasers, Force 5s, and I think a Banshee (?), Harvard decided to sell the Finn. There was at least one of the CBC Finns that was pretty sorted out. Thought the Charles was cleaned up after that.  I did figure out there that it was possible to plane an Interclub- for about 30’.  So I was concerned about the water quality......:lol:

1 hour ago, Amati said:

‘73-‘74, out of the Haaahvaaaahd club across the way. Techs were awful, but there were so many of them!  After a comparo between Lasers, Force 5s, and I think a Banshee (?), Harvard decided to sell the Finn. There was at least one of the CBC Finns that was pretty sorted out. Thought the Charles was cleaned up after that.  I did figure out there that it was possible to plane an Interclub- for about 30’.  So I was concerned about the water quality......:lol:

Techs....haha,  they roll-tack like nothing else!  That fleet was very tough on big nites.   I crewed for Ron Sandstrom in his Star and  always got pummeled by him in Techs.   He really had Techs figured out.   I got some payback in Lasers - he’s a big dude for that boat.  

Got a chance to race with Hatch in Lasers in @ Cottage Park.   Memories flooding back - thx Amati!

Derek Mess is still active I see.   He’s all-around one of the better sailors I saw on the Charles.

What are you sailing these days?

This old Finn has me hyped up like Laser days.   Geez this is a fun sport.

5 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Techs....haha,  they roll-tack like nothing else!  That fleet was very tough on big nites.   I crewed for Ron Sandstrom in his Star and  always got pummeled by him in Techs.   He really had Techs figured out.   I got some payback in Lasers - he’s a big dude for that boat.  

Got a chance to race with Hatch in Lasers in @ Cottage Park.   Memories flooding back - thx Amati!

Derek Mess is still active I see.   He’s all-around one of the better sailors I saw on the Charles.

What are you sailing these days?

This old Finn has me hyped up like Laser days.   Geez this is a fun sport.

K1, L7 trimaran, Perry cruising sled. I kind of wish the Finn Class would ok Swedish Canoe type hiking seats but I know that’s heresy, the pain keeps Finn sailors happy.  :lol:

Or something like the Taifun?

E4683AAC-C55C-4441-8C7D-FE44F3A9F8A5.jpeg

• Like 1

Boatyard opens Tuesday and new gear arrives same.   Moving forward.

68B67B1A-097C-4BEE-AEA6-F64AA1A63147.jpeg

20 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Boatyard opens Tuesday and new gear arrives same.   Moving forward.

68B67B1A-097C-4BEE-AEA6-F64AA1A63147.jpeg

Congrats. Looks like a classic . Have fun.

30 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

Congrats. Looks like a classic . Have fun.

Thx.   Sorry about sail shape here - no battens, vang not setup, on and on.   Will throw some pics up on plywood floor (yes) and mast base plate which moves but no idea how its rigged.

After ckng out Devoti details I’d say, yes, ‘74 is a legit ‘Classic.’   Nite and day diffs aplenty.

Just buy a Finn you won’t be disappointed with the boat sailing in SF except if you want to race. Competition and race opportunities are plentiful but all in southern CA. I had my Finn in SF for several years and the conditions are excellent for this boat.