knobblyoldjimbo

Fixing my beachcat rudders

I have two of these both in the same condition.

They are off my 4.3 m cat which I race (don't do too badly). The last time out it was up to 20 something knots so it's not really surprising.

The hole on the leading edge is for the downhaul which is pulled down via a 2:1 line which cleats onto CL257 auto release cleats.

So, how do I fix.

I'm thinking a flapwheel on my grinder to get rid of the cloudy Araldite then a cutting wheel to cut into the central join.

I'm then thinking I use epoxy and some triax mat that I have then clamp it all together.

Sound reasonable?

TIA

koj

IMG_20200213_124924.thumb.jpg.e0186e6762d6a32685a09b7f4697055e.jpg

IMG_20200213_124751.jpg

make sure you give it a really good wash with water, then acetone.

I'd suggest prizing that gap open and run a hand saw in it as deep as reasonable to get rid of the loose shit and roughen it up.

If its a big enough cavity, use chopped up glass mat and glue powder thickened epoxy for filler, else just glue powder-thickened epoxy. Clamp (only down to original width).

Is the stock wide enough to wrap some cloth around the trailing edge of the rudder head for mechanical support?  If you want it to be more solid, would be worth planing or grinding back a few mm either side of that aft top corner between the holes and putting a few layers of glass wrapped around.

If it was me I'd do something similar to what Duncan said but I'd use a hand saw with a decent set on it. Then clamp it just to  make sure I can close it up around 1mm narrower than original. Open the gap up and inject microfibre / resin mix to glue back together. Clamp to the original width minus 1mm. When the glue has cured   I would wrap a couple layers of glass on the bias around the leading edge and back as far as I can and still fair that back to original width. 

To add to the advise above , put an alloy tube through the knot acsess hole so that when you hit something hard enough it cuts the rope rather than splits the rudder head .

Suspecting that there is significant moisture in the core you may want to consider something like G-Flex epoxy once it's cleaned out.

So far so good.

I found some epoxy resin, I must have chucked the micro balloons.

Wet out some triax mat that I had.

Used the angle grinder and a cutting disk, filled in the gaps with the mat and then clamped them in tight.

I put packing tape (mylar) on the face of the blocks so I should be able to split them off.

Now I hope I've mixed the resin properly and that it cures properly.

IMG_20200216_170115.jpg

IMG_20200216_170056.jpg

You shoulda checked beachcats.com or .not...forget...epoxy with carbon or glass is strong, but it's sheer strenght is not the best, needs reinforcement. Am sure some other owners on the sight have have similar probs and info either way is always good.

Yes I should have looked.

The damage was caused by exceptional wind that I would not normally race in and that seems to have caused the cracking.

I'm pretty shure I can get second hand replacements if I need.

I always have worked on function over form so if this takes me to the end of the season I'm happy.

3 hours ago, knobblyoldjimbo said:

Oh, and I'd be wary of wrapping it because the class standard stocks wouldn't allow a thicker blade in.

As mad hatter said above - you could possibly clamp to a narrower dimension initially, or plane off a rebate on either side of the stock and lay a glass strap into that.

Sounds like its pertty sorted though.. reminds me of a centreboard slot fix I had to do some time back..

DSC_0629.jpg.09896aa72b3b2ca379849ee0bca5971d.jpg

Did I miss class of boat. Some have daggers, some have centers...now it looks as if repairs commenced...so?

It is also likely other owners of same boat have experienced a similar problem...

A few ways to fix, depending...it is cold here, but heat, at least 45-50 degrees for a period required, for most epoxies and epoxy adhesives, like G-Flex, if memory serves...If laminated already, might be impossible or impractical to reverse, Only fix, I can think of is dowels to strengthen...get to class and ask?

I use stainless tube in the hole so the rope and impact load cannot split the rudder apart. Works for the pivot as well.

fixed lots that way

Works til it doesn't...the/our motto.

Very good. We all do it. Can't count my "trys!"

Still, pays to look here, at club, and check the beachcat (if a cat etc), the bostdesign.net site also.

Lots of experience available for the asking. Boats and planes are fun and can be big trouble...

I raced two Sundays ago. Was all good rudders did their job.

It's a maricat so no centreboards, the rudders act as foils so a lot of pressure in the heavy winds that weekend.

Live the saw in the slot Duncan.