FinnFish

I'd like to thank the previous owner for...

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Clocking fasteners only works with machine threads where the nut can be tightened while the head is aligned.

Trying to do it with a cutting thread is idiotic for the reason you stated.

There are ways ...

Screws are made by machines - every one starts the thread at the same position relative to the slot.  If you find the starting point that results in the slot aligning the way you want when the screw is tight, you can use the same starting point for each successive screw and they will all align.  Use a scrap piece of the same timber to find the starting point.

Polishing the insides of the slot - now that's another level!

15 hours ago, Fleetwood said:

No one makes fine furniture any more?

That's what epoxy is for. You can add a couple screws to confuse the later owners.

Reminds me of the time I needed a plumbing fitting that I didn't have to get a new hot water cylinder installed. So I brazed 2 together, really nice neat job, looked like you could unscrew them but NFW.

I sold that house to a plumber. The memory still gives me a warm inner glow.

FKT

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Clocking fasteners only works with machine threads where the nut can be tightened while the head is aligned.

Trying to do it with a cutting thread is idiotic for the reason you stated.

All of that plus, these were rebated hinges on factory-hung doors set in metal jambs and hidden when the doors were closed and....there were approximately 5,000 of the beauties.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:53 PM, FinnFish said:

Protecting all the winches from corrosion by carefully packing each one with the three types of grease known to man. 

Brown heavy duty machine grease, over laid by blue trailer bearing grease, topped off with some form of white grease.

Love ya work. 

20200216_143943.jpg

They forgot the Brylcreem.  

43 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

That's what epoxy is for. You can add a couple screws to confuse the later owners.

Reminds me of the time I needed a plumbing fitting that I didn't have to get a new hot water cylinder installed. So I brazed 2 together, really nice neat job, looked like you could unscrew them but NFW.

I sold that house to a plumber. The memory still gives me a warm inner glow.

FKT

Excellent job Fah.  If you had done that to the fix N2 on the CO2 reg for the kegerator, that would be superhero status.

3 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Polishing the insides of the slot - now that's another level!

There are knife edge ceder disks for polishing the insides of screw slots on a bench polisher.  For extra points, cut a bevel on the edges of the slots and polish that too.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, xyzzy said:

There are knife edge ceder disks for polishing the insides of screw slots on a bench polisher.  For extra points, cut a bevel on the edges of the slots and polish that too.

Ooo-oo pretty!! Now I know my next project.... not

I often do work that I'm proud of, but also have a tendency to bodge things together any old way if it doesn't seem important, or I know I'm going to do it over.

FB- Doug

36 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I often do work that I'm proud of, but also have a tendency to bodge things together any old way if it doesn't seem important, or I know I'm going to do it over.

FB- Doug

Bash to fit, bog to fair, paint to match!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KC375 said:

Yes it's coming back to me now. He had a "little persuader" and a "big persuader".

An old mechanics saying - "Don't force it, get the bigger hammer".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Or.... we had to take the sump off , drop the pistons out and reach up thru the cylinders to take the spark plugs out 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:33 PM, Al Paca said:

Never been in a Harbor Freight, and never plan to either. And I prefer slotted screws over philips. More bearing surface with the blade

Buy a Bristol. You will be in slotted screw heaven with a stick-built interior with thousands (millions?) of slotted screws.

12 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Or.... we had to take the sump off , drop the pistons out and reach up thru the cylinders to take the spark plugs out 

You say this like you think there is another way of doing that job. After the second time I concluded that its cheaper and easier just to replace the whole engine.

4 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

You say this like you think there is another way of doing that job. After the second time I concluded that its cheaper and easier just to replace the whole engine.

Yeah well after running diagnostics the computer is telling us you need a new engine . the CPU and the engine are failing to communicate because the CPU is Chinese and the engine is American 

25 minutes ago, 44forty said:
14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You youngsters are so spoiled, you don't know how easy you have it.

We used to have to chew our way thru the pistons to get at the spark plugs, and then we had to carve our own replacement spark plugs out of wood.

FB- Doug

9 minutes ago, 44forty said:

Yeah well after running diagnostics the computer is telling us you need a new engine . the CPU and the engine are failing to communicate because the CPU is Chinese and the engine is American 

My American engine will never pass any data to your perfidious Huawei CPU, it is vital for my personal security that my data is only stolen by US corporations.

Oh wait, its a German engine, does that mean I covered by EU data protection rules?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You youngsters are so spoiled, you don't know how easy you have it.

We used to have to chew our way thru the pistons to get at the spark plugs, and then we had to carve our own replacement spark plugs out of wood.

FB- Doug

You had spark plugs?

Luxury

Why in my day we had to set of each individual piston with a match

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, 44forty said:

and then there was chaning the oil filter on an early land rover with diesel ... involved jacking the engine

13 minutes ago, Rambler said:

You had spark plugs?

Luxury

38 minutes ago, Rambler said:

You had spark plugs?

Luxury

Or a “cigarette port” in each cylinder of a Diesel engine to get the bugger started on a cold morning 

31 minutes ago, KC375 said:

and then there was chaning the oil filter on an early land rover with diesel ... involved jacking the engine

That sort of shit is why I installed remote oil filter kits on my engines. The Isuzu diesel in my 4WD isn't quite that bad so - so far - I've resisted.

FKT

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S/V Eva said:

I'll just leave this here.

Amateur - didn't even try to polish the screw slot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Amateur - didn't even try to polish the screw slot.

But did bevel the slot

On 2/20/2020 at 1:54 AM, MiddayGun said:

I feel like the rest of us are supposed to join in?

I'd like to thank the previous owner for this wiring job:
DSC_0002.thumb.JPG.cb7eb57f3b7145869e773d7be809930f.JPG

Someone in my previous owner history used metal tacks to attach the figure 8 wire to the bulkheads.  apparently didn't get perfectly centre in a few places.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:17 PM, Rambler said:

You had spark plugs?

Luxury

tenor.gif?itemid=4780653

On 2/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, Fleetwood said:

Ever seen a piece of fine furniture put together with Phillips screws? Slotted heads were invented for a reason.....

On 2/23/2020 at 2:59 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

because back in the 1700's , they didn't have the machining for a Phillips ?

most fine furniture, back in the day was done with  dowels..

Every Sunday on one of the Public Broadcasting stations, they have 2, 1/2 hour woodworking shows back to back. I love watching this stuff and get many ideas for the boat.