B.J. Porter

My Big Mushy Boat Listing - Selling a Boat in Motion

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

No doubt a 70 or so da passage from NZ to NA would take a lot of prep.  (And likely rely on a bit of luck to be successful.)

Weather window luck: Transiting two (or three?) tropical storm corridors. I think my longest solo ocean passage was 22 days. Majuro to Kauai. That was plenty long. Somewhere around a month the food, health and maintenance planning gets overly burdensome. A slacker like me can fake their way thru a few weeks. 70 days I would not attempt, myself.

Plenty of rough water on the usual NZ-Tahiti-Hawaii-NA route. Weak things are going to wear out and fail underway. Having been around a bit I would route from NZ to SE Asia and never bother sailing back to cold, expensive, nervous, NA.

8 hours ago, El Boracho said:

and never bother sailing back to cold, expensive, nervous, NA.

I think a long, nonstop passage is one of those real rites of passage for a sailor - but, yes, luck favours the well prepared.

Nervous North America certainly is (and look who’s running the USA right now...) especially the east coast (US) generally.  But the Canadian Gulf Islands —very chill, man!  (Yes, a bit cold in winter, but not bad, especially if you like skiing.)

2 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I think a long, nonstop passage is one of those real rites of passage for a sailor - but, yes, luck favours the well prepared.

We've done a couple of those, if you count 16+ days and 3,000 miles as long...

I figure it's 45-50 days of sailing from here to Seattle, more or less. What stretches it out is time stopped. Planning a non-stop trip of that length has a whole host of other issues. Like fuel, for one. Much of the trip from here is getting east by any means necessary, which includes motoring when you have to to get over there. Could be a lot of motoring nearer the equator.

Anyway, I hope we don't have to do it. It's not really how I want to end this whole thing.

16 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

We've done a couple of those, if you count 16+ days and 3,000 miles as long...

I figure it's 45-50 days of sailing from here to Seattle, more or less. What stretches it out is time stopped. Planning a non-stop trip of that length has a whole host of other issues. Like fuel, for one. Much of the trip from here is getting east by any means necessary, which includes motoring when you have to to get over there. Could be a lot of motoring nearer the equator.

Anyway, I hope we don't have to do it. It's not really how I want to end this whole thing.

I’ve long thought of a multi-month kinda passage - I’m just curious how I’d hold up.  Like, say, Europe to Australia, or beyond.  60 or so days at sea.  I imagine the Golden Globe sailors, or Jeanne Socrates, at sea for months on end.   As Robin Knox-Johnston titled his book, “A World Of My Own”. 

You’ve got a big, comfy luxury boat, BJ - go for it :-) :-)

8 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I’ve long thought of a multi-month kinda passage - I’m just curious how I’d hold up.  Like, say, Europe to Australia, or beyond.  60 or so days at sea.  I imagine the Golden Globe sailors, or Jeanne Socrates, at sea for months on end.   As Robin Knox-Johnston titled his book, “A World Of My Own”. 

You’ve got a big, comfy luxury boat, BJ - go for it :-) :-)

I don't love passages enough to do that willingly.

10 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't love passages enough to do that willingly.

Fair enough.  It’s hard work.  (And unpaid! :-) )

Just now, The great unwashed said:

Good luck on the sale.  Heartbreaking, but life moves on.

Thanks. Yeah, it sort of feels like turning out a family member. This is way more heartwrenching than selling my house was.

How many weeks left before you have to go North?

4 hours ago, Panoramix said:

How many weeks left before you have to go North?

The theory is May, so not nearly enough. There was some...frustration...with the brokerage as we listed this formally three weeks ago but there were some challenges getting it up to Yachtworld.

In practice, there may not be anyplace North that will want to let us in come May. Our visas are good until early June, but with conditions as they are an emergency extension may be necessary.

The ad copy and accompanying photos are very well done.  This is a fine boat with an excellent pedigree.  I wish you much success.  

Please do not take this as criticism but simply borne of my wish to help.  Two observations (and pardon my pedantry):

1.  In the specifications section it states:

"One Stainless steel holding tanks with deck pump outs and valves for overboard discharge"

That should be "One stainless steel holding tank with deck pump outs..."

2. Onboard parts inventory

My guess is that you have a small fortune in boat-specific tools and parts (fuel filters, oil filters, seals, gaskets, etc.).  I don't see that mentioned in your ad.  I also don't see listed dock lines, fenders, safety equipment, etc. Given that the boat is in sail-away condition, is it worth mentioning that it includes what might be needed to start?  A new owner wouldn't want to think the first thing they have to do is drop a load of money to stock up on these necessities.  These small items can really add up for a new buyer. If you have omitted this for some valid reason not apparent to me, that is entirely understandable.   

If I had the means, I would be your buyer.  Best wishes and thanks for sharing so much here.  

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

The theory is May, so not nearly enough. There was some...frustration...with the brokerage as we listed this formally three weeks ago but there were some challenges getting it up to Yachtworld.

In practice, there may not be anyplace North that will want to let us in come May. Our visas are good until early June, but with conditions as they are an emergency extension may be necessary.

Yes, that's a bit short... Presumably in your home country, they would let you in.

4 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Yes, that's a bit short... Presumably in your home country, they would let you in.

They should, eventually. However we'd rather not sail directly from New Zealand to the U.S. It's a bit long for a nonstop.

They should, eventually. However we'd rather not sail directly from New Zealand to the U.S. It's a bit long for a nonstop.

There are quite a few US territories in the middle ? (Hawaii, Marshall islands, midway and I must forget some...)

2 hours ago, Bugsy said:

The ad copy and accompanying photos are very well done.  This is a fine boat with an excellent pedigree.  I wish you much success.  

Please do not take this as criticism but simply borne of my wish to help.  Two observations (and pardon my pedantry):

1.  In the specifications section it states:

"One Stainless steel holding tanks with deck pump outs and valves for overboard discharge"

That should be "One stainless steel holding tank with deck pump outs..."

2. Onboard parts inventory

My guess is that you have a small fortune in boat-specific tools and parts (fuel filters, oil filters, seals, gaskets, etc.).  I don't see that mentioned in your ad.  I also don't see listed dock lines, fenders, safety equipment, etc. Given that the boat is in sail-away condition, is it worth mentioning that it includes what might be needed to start?  A new owner wouldn't want to think the first thing they have to do is drop a load of money to stock up on these necessities.  These small items can really add up for a new buyer. If you have omitted this for some valid reason not apparent to me, that is entirely understandable.   

If I had the means, I would be your buyer.  Best wishes and thanks for sharing so much here.  

Thanks. I'll pass the feedback back to the broker, it's his listing. I don't think we even mentioned things like dock lines and fenders (which we have and I always sort of assumed a boat came with) in the equipment listings I was asked for. I'll look into it.

----------------------

Cruisers selling boats are always in a quandary with it comes to all the boat bits.

Our boats are WAY more equipped than your average coastal sailor when it comes to "stuff" you could easily sell at a cruiser's swap. So it's not uncommon for pretty much every boat out there to have a "yard sale" list when they go on the market of things that are worth a fair bit of money they'll see no value for if they leave it on the boat. We've bought things like our Sailrite this way, plus various other boat bits and a whole box of random davit parts. When they decide to sell the boat, they start flogging the list on the VHF nets and people pass them around buying what they need.

For example I've got four handheld VHFs - one still new in the box, multiple GPSs, AIS Rescue gear for life vests, a PLB, etc. etc. Plus that Sailrite, a handheld depth sounder, etc. etc. $thousands worth of stuff that makes negligible impact on a boat listing and less impact on the selling price because a buyer may not want it or know with it is when they pull it out of a locker. I know I chucked valuable stuff out from the PO when I bought this boat because I didn't recognize what it was.

And spares...don't get me started on spares. I've got thousands of dollars worth of spares, from high-output alternators to pumps, starters, filters, impellers, zincs, etc. etc. Too much to list on a listing.

Just now, Panoramix said:

There are quite a few US territories in the middle ? (Hawaii, Marshall islands, midway and I must forget some...)

There are indeed. And the question is - which ones, if any, will let us pull in to refuel, take on provisions, and get a couple of nights solid sleep? The answer right now is...indeterminate.

https://www.noonsite.com/news/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-special-procedures-being-introduced-in-ports-of-entry-worldwide/

Marshalls are too far West unless we were going to Alaska (we aren't). So it's likely one of these rough paths:

1. Australs  - Tahiti - Line Islands - Hawaii - Seattle
  2. Rartatonga - American Samoa - Line Islands - Hawaii - Seattle
  3. Fiji - Samoa - Lines - Hawaii - Seattle

Hawaii's got to take us...eventually. The rest are a bit of a crap shoot at the moment.

19 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Midway takes very special permission, as do a few other places like Palmyra. Johnston Atoll is closed, I think. You have to apply in advance, know when you're coming, and there's very little there if you get permission.

Technically, Tahiti and new Caledonia are part of the EU I think, so may be it is closed like the rest.

23 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Technically, Tahiti and new Caledonia are part of the EU I think, so may be it is closed like the rest.

New cal is the wrong direction anyway.

Nice listing BJ boat shows well.  If only...

Any chances you would deliver to Dutch Harbor AK? asking for a friend.....

I'm pretty sure a Viking landing would go your way on Palmyra...not much resistance there, maybe a stern lecture on the environmental impact of your two stroke outboard.  

13 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Nice listing BJ boat shows well.  If only...

Any chances you would deliver to Dutch Harbor AK? asking for a friend.....

I'm pretty sure a Viking landing would go your way on Palmyra...not much resistance there, maybe a stern lecture on the environmental impact of your two stroke outboard.  

If your friend is seriously interested I'm open to all sorts of options.

That is a long sail though.

Sorry for the missleading facetious bit, I'm currently in Dutch Harbor......

4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Thanks. I'll pass the feedback back to the broker, it's his listing. I don't think we even mentioned things like dock lines and fenders (which we have and I always sort of assumed a boat came with) in the equipment listings I was asked for. I'll look into it.

While your chatting with the broker you might mention that your listing doesn’t turn up in a search for used HR 53s for some reason.  Here is the specific search:

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?man=Hallberg%2BRassy&is=false&type=(Sail)&luom=126&fromLength=53&toLength=53&fromYear=1980&toYear=&pricderange=Select+Price+Range&Ntt=&fromPrice=0&toPrice=&searchtype=homepage&cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&Ntk=boatsEN&currencyid=100

this returns 3 boats, one each in Italy, California and Virginia. 

Good luck, that strikes me as a pretty good deal.

21 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

While your chatting with the broker you might mention that your listing doesn’t turn up in a search for used HR 53s for some reason.  Here is the specific search:

https://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?man=Hallberg%2BRassy&is=false&type=(Sail)&luom=126&fromLength=53&toLength=53&fromYear=1980&toYear=&pricderange=Select+Price+Range&Ntt=&fromPrice=0&toPrice=&searchtype=homepage&cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&Ntk=boatsEN&currencyid=100

this returns 3 boats, one each in Italy, California and Virginia. 

Good luck, that strikes me as a pretty good deal.

The LOA is actually 53' 11", so I think that gets rounded to 54' which is what this listing shows.

If you set your parameters to a range from 53 to 54 you'll get about 14 boats, several of which are duplicate listings.

I've discussed this with the broker, but it hasn't been set to 53' yet.

13 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I really doubt you'll have a problem getting an extension on the visa in NZ. Even here in the land of hostile border farce you can just appeal a refusal to extend and wait until the tribunal makes a determination. Meanwhile you get a special bridging visa. Costs $$$ but works. I know a couple of Canadians who did this here a year back - they eventually left for Nelson in May last year.

FKT

24 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I really doubt you'll have a problem getting an extension on the visa in NZ. Even here in the land of hostile border farce you can just appeal a refusal to extend and wait until the tribunal makes a determination. Meanwhile you get a special bridging visa. Costs $$$ but works. I know a couple of Canadians who did this here a year back - they eventually left for Nelson in May last year.

FKT

Especially in light of the whole pandemic thing, yes I expect we won't have too much trouble getting a three month extension. We've already done the FBi checks because we've exceeded 500 days in country in our lives, but we'll probably need chest X-Rays.

Compared to Oz, the visa extensions are cheap here. But you can't get as much time.

BJ

What did you do with all of your stuff whilst the photos were being taken? The boat looks fantastic but all I could think of was where the cruising clutter was?

1 hour ago, Pipe Dream said:

BJ

What did you do with all of your stuff whilst the photos were being taken? The boat looks fantastic but all I could think of was where the cruising clutter was?

What? Nah, we normally live like in a catalog picture...

We're clever. You can pick up all the...appearances of life...and stick them in another cabin or area when you're taking the pictures. Then stage the pictures, shoot, and rotate the crap around to the next room.

I had an industry (primary industry dependant on imported labour)  meeting today and understand that all visas have been given an automatic extension until the end of September BJ. You may not want it, but it looks like you may have  a bit more breathing space. I know that that’s getting a bit close to the  beginning of the South Pacific cyclone season though...

• Like 1

I feel your pain and anxiety.  Good luck with selling.   We just sold our boat, which was sad but happy as we are moving up, not out.

11 hours ago, Rangi said:

I had an industry (primary industry dependant on imported labour)  meeting today and understand that all visas have been given an automatic extension until the end of September BJ. You may not want it, but it looks like you may have  a bit more breathing space. I know that that’s getting a bit close to the  beginning of the South Pacific cyclone season though...

Good to know, I will enquire.

1 minute ago, MauiPunter said:

I feel your pain and anxiety.  Good luck with selling.   We just sold our boat, which was sad but happy as we are moving up, not out.

Thanks.

Perfect time to take the long way home. Wait a month or so and head non stop to Seattle. By the time you arrive Coroavirus will be all gone...maybe.

Seriously it's shitty timing for you and my condolences. My daughter just flew back from eSwatini. Took her 7 days with waiting for a flight. She flew through HKG and they just closed airport for even transit passengers. Only HK  residents allowed in now.

3 minutes ago, Zonker said:

Perfect time to take the long way home. Wait a month or so and head non stop to Seattle. By the time you arrive Coroavirus will be all gone...maybe.

Seriously it's shitty timing for you and my condolences. My daughter just flew back from eSwatini. Took her 7 days with waiting for a flight. She flew through HKG and they just closed airport for even transit passengers. Only HK  residents allowed in now.

Yeah, we're just going to lay low for the 4 week shutdown and see how things shape up. I hate the idea of that long sail if we can avoid it, so we'll see.

Not listed on SA classifieds but kind of that’s going to limit your market.

50 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Not listed on SA classifieds but kind of that’s going to limit your market.

We discussed this with the broker; if you look at the 50+ footers up there, we're really not in the same market at all with those.

If I was on better terms with Scot I might have done it anyway, but for now there's not a lot of cruising sailors perusing the SA classifieds for boats like this.

13 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

We discussed this with the broker; if you look at the 50+ footers up there, we're really not in the same market at all with those.

If I was on better terms with Scot I might have done it anyway, but for now there's not a lot of cruising sailors perusing the SA classifieds for boats like this.

I got zero hits from my SA classified ad, but got a shit ton from FB forsale ads.  The guy who bought my boat found it through my FB posting and contacted my broker and then proceeded from there.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, Zonker said:

Perfect time to take the long way home. Wait a month or so and head non stop to Seattle.  By the time you arrive Coroavirus will be all gone...maybe.

Maybe.  A long stretch maybe.

I’m no doctor, but if the so-called Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918-20 is any rough guide, we’re in for a hard, long haul.  This is really good article, and scary (and wait until you get to the very end, where the author describes his role in training large city public health officials —in Los Angeles— in pandemic disaster planning mock scenarios - and reveals that said senior officials deceive the public in the exercises...very damning, and eye opening).  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/journal-plague-year-180965222/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Maybe.  A long stretch maybe.

I’m no doctor, but if the so-called Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918-20 is any rough guide, we’re in for a hard, long haul.  This is really good article, and scary (and wait until you get to the very end, where the author describes his role in training large city public health officials —in Los Angeles— in pandemic disaster planning mock scenarios - and reveals that said senior officials deceive the public in the exercises...very damning, and eye opening).  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/journal-plague-year-180965222/

Jud, I ran across that magazine the other day and posted about it.  There are 2 other very interesting (shorter) articles in that edition that are worth reading.   I gave the links to them in this post.   Its mortifying (sorry) to see what they knew/thought about an inevitable pandemic, (that we are now seeing).  Hopefully it will not be as bad as 1918.