Sign in to follow this  
cyclone

Lyle Mays

The Pat Metheny Group & Lyle’s solo work were the soundtrack for the 1980’s & ‘90’s for me.

RIP.

RIP Lyle Mays 1953-2020

12mays1-jumbo.thumb.jpg.aec9a01c1a6f5c283b989363b4de3991.jpg

An artist who’s mastery of less = more, knew no bounds…

(One of my fave keyboard players – ever)

Thanks for posting about this.  Had not heard, and I am a Wisconsinite as well.  He was kind of an idol growing up.  Played piano/keyboards for our high school jazz band and what was back then called swing choir -- now some other name.  I was a rebellious piano student growing up, always wanting to play jazz instead of practicing for classical recitals. As a result, never excelled at either.  But boy could he play.

Saw him with Pat Metheny at least five times in the 80's. The early tours up through the First Circle tour were super high energy and super tight.

Though I thought Mays was pretty good he really did not have a lot of improvisational depth to his playing imo. Sort of a one trick pony. I think he tried to move into movie soundtracks where he could use more of the layered ambient skills he was good at but never got the success he was looking for their I don't think.

Sucks he died so young.

Actually I did see another tour in the mid 90's where they had a bunch of singers doing Cambodian influenced music that was probably one of the best things I saw them do.

• Like 1