JBoater

VC17 (Premixed 1yr old)

I have a half can of pre-mixed VC17 from last year in a soda bottle.  Has anyone used year old VC17 that has been mixed with the copper powder.  

It takes me 1.5 quarts to put a coat on the bottom of the boat.  So if I can use this half quart, it will save me $70 this spring.  Thanks for your help.

My experience is that the copper powder settles to the bottom of container and form a more or less solid mass....I have never ben able to mix it up again..

I mix my VC17 in a Ketchup bottle and poor it directly on the roll.  A bit like your soda bottle. I always have a leftover in the bottle when the boat is done and always managed to remix it the next spring. Sometime I use a stick to free the copper from the bottom before shaking it.

A new quart costs about $60. 
two quarts is a minimal coating on a J-22 and not enough on any other J boat

i won’t insult your intelligence by suggesting you attempt to save $30 on a bottom job by using old paint they should have been applied the day it was mixed. 

I will suggest this:

Buy two quarts and use it all!!!!

Premixed year old VC-17 is okay, but I prefer the 12 year barrel aged Baltocote.  It has delightful coppery notes, a fulsome mouthfeel, and an earthy finish that lasts about 24 hours or until your diver shows up to scrub the barnacles and slime growth from the dangly thing at the back of your mouth.  It pairs nicely with small discs of cured West system, thickened with microballoons, served on some chunks of aged glass from a derelict Triton.  

Despite all that, the 7 Year VC Offshore infused with Petit 120 (The Governour Private Barrelling) is extremely popular with the critics and won the Newport Paintstravaganza tasting event yet again last fall, but the hoity-toity tastes of Newport folks are a bit too extravagant for me.  

I recommended the Baltocote served on the rocks, in a Glencairn glass if you want to experience the full bouquet.  It has great legs, and the tulip shaped glass really opens up the paint's aromatics.   

• Like 3

When I need half a tin to coat, I mix half the powder with half of the liquid. The rest i mix next time.

14 hours ago, Lex Teredo said:

Premixed year old VC-17 is okay, but I prefer the 12 year barrel aged Baltocote.  It has delightful coppery notes, a fulsome mouthfeel, and an earthy finish that lasts about 24 hours or until your diver shows up to scrub the barnacles and slime growth from the dangly thing at the back of your mouth.  It pairs nicely with small discs of cured West system, thickened with microballoons, served on some chunks of aged glass from a derelict Triton.  

Despite all that, the 7 Year VC Offshore infused with Petit 120 (The Governour Private Barrelling) is extremely popular with the critics and won the Newport Paintstravaganza tasting event yet again last fall, but the hoity-toity tastes of Newport folks are a bit too extravagant for me.  

I recommended the Baltocote served on the rocks, in a Glencairn glass if you want to experience the full bouquet.  It has great legs, and the tulip shaped glass really opens up the paint's aromatics.   

Somebody needs a better exhaust fan 

• Like 1

you have to stir stir stir any copper bottom paint before you dip the brush in it

and stir stir stir while using it also

if sealed up 1 year old paint should be ok

I would mix it with the fresh quart and stir stir stir both before and while applying

btw a coat hanger bent up on a battery powered drill works very well as a stirrer

just DON'T rev it up go slow or paint flys