shaggy

Movies that messed you up as a kid

I will start...  Fucking Willy Wonka chocolate river boat scene...  Still can't watch that part..  f'd up

Jaws, (and I was on the damn swim team).  Dreamed of sharks coming out of the grates and under h20 viewing places every frigging lap.  Still crosses my mind today.  

well not a kid perse but i don't watch horror movies of any genre in no small part to seeing the Omen in 1976

Not a movie, but BBC TV's "Dr Who." When the Daleks turned up I hid behind the sofa.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Not a movie, but BBC TV's "Dr Who." When the Daleks turned up I hid behind the sofa.

Tom Baker!   The scariest doctor of them all.

The Daleks were fine. Davros and his shrunken head did it for me  

• Like 2

some dim fuck of a babysitter thought it would be great if me (6) and sis (9) watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  I don't think my sleeping ability ever quite recovered

• Like 2

The Wizard of Oz.

The fucking flying monkeys haunt me to this day.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Henley Hornbrook said:

Sleestaks from land of the lost always got me 

Frontpage

Oh crap, I just got the chills.  Hate Bees to this day because of that damn show...  

33 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Hah..The Daleks ..I stopped watching Dr Who from when they turned up. that "voice" and them suddenly appearing around corners absolutely fucking terrified me. (Well I was only four or five.) I only started watching again when Tom Baker turned up :D 

The British film, "A night to remember" (sinking of the Titanic) I blame for my fear of sailing open water. Fears that only resurfaced in my 20's.

The British TV show "The Prisoner" gave us all nightmares.

• Like 1

Planet of the apes movie where the religious nuts peeled off their skin

Jaws still hear that theme every time I'm within a few inches of deep dark water

Friday the 13th when Jason came out of the water at the end 

Zombie, when the hand crashed through the wood shutters and pulled the kids head into it. The wood sliver piercing the eyeball.

Hmmm, apparently I have issues.

:)

WL

Hitchcock's "The Birds".  The guys with the pecked out eyes - (shivers).  Freaked me out for a couple of years.

Jaws of course,  Really put a crimp on late night skinny dipping.  Thanks a lot Spielberg, you douche.

Yup, Jaws....the fear worked well with keeping me onboard several times!

21 minutes ago, Nettles said:

Hitchcock's "The Birds".  The guys with the pecked out eyes - (shivers).  Freaked me out for a couple of years.

Jaws of course,  Really put a crimp on late night skinny dipping.  Thanks a lot Spielberg, you douche.

Yes, "The Birds".  I'm not sure if it was the pecked out eyes, or my mom  walking in and screaming.  You see, she had orithnophobia and my mom wasn't one to ever show fear, but that blood curdling scream when I was about 6 haunts me.

And of course the goddamn flying monkeys from Oz.  Mind you, they were kinda birds with teeth.

Jaws. We lived on the GA coast and were on the beach at St. Simons Is. every weekend it was warm enough. We didn't go in the water much above our knees for a couple of years after that movie came out. We had some great sand castles, though. 

Fucked me up for years as a kid.  Still don't like clowns......

913N63RRIFL._SY445_.jpg

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

The Wizard of Oz.

The fucking flying monkeys haunt me to this day.

You beat me to it. 

They're just nasty. 

12 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

Jaws. We lived on the GA coast and were on the beach at St. Simons Is. every weekend it was warm enough. We didn't go in the water much above our knees for a couple of years after that movie came out. We had some great sand castles, though. 

I saw Jaws the summer it came out. I was in Newport RI for a Half Ton NA and saw it in a small old theater within walking distance of the waterfront. The place was packed and the crowd experience was really special as everyone reacted in unison. I was a big diver and very comfortable in the water but have to admit Jaws was always in the back of my mind after that.  

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

some dim fuck of a babysitter thought it would be great if me (6) and sis (9) watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  I don't think my sleeping ability ever quite recovered

This movie terrified my wife when she was a little girl.  Went to the movie with her family, and when she went to bed that night she looked under her bed.  She freaked when she saw her brother's football.  She was sure it was a pod.

For mr it was Alien .  We were coming home from a get away without the kids and had time to kill so we went to the movies.  Knew nothing about the film and when that chest buster popped out we freaked along with a theater full of people.

in no order

the shining

exorcist 

let's scare jessica to death (try watching this one alone in a dark room)

alien 

and Jaws of course...

North by Northwest - I had nightmares about Mount Rushmore for years.

Psycho - like that entire generation I have never been 100% comfortable in the shower since.

Hitchcock was The master.

• Like 3

Surfing in Santa Cruz, I just had to block that Jaws shit out.

But when that kelp floated up and bumped your board or your foot, it sure gave you the Willies

• Like 1

This has potential........

81RUR17qZ+L._SL1500_.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jkdubz808 said:

This has potential........

81RUR17qZ+L._SL1500_.jpg

I have that in my B Movie collection

When I was a kid?...........nothing really. I can't think of any (of course we're talking the 50's) from when I was a kid. We didn't ever go to the movies though. I went to some when I was a teenager and old enough to go alone....but those were like 007 movies etc. So I guess.........none.

19 minutes ago, Point Break said:

When I was a kid?...........nothing really. I can't think of any 

Nor can I.

I remember having those spine-chilling moments, but as for being "messed up", that didn't happen, AFAIK.

[involuntarily jerks head]

1 hour ago, See Level said:

Exorcist

giphy.gif

Yup, that one, saw it when I was 14, definitely too young & didn't sleep well for quite a while.

I didn't see "wait until Dark" until I was much older. But that was a creepy movie, no doubt.

"Jaws" I saw something like 28 times in 2 weeks.... (I was the projectionist at the local movie theater) and the only thing that got me was when Hooper was pulling the tooth out of the half sunk boat, and the dead guy's head rolled out..... That made everyone in the theater scream just as I was threading reel #3..... It fucking got me every time, even though I knew it was coming.

Kind of embarrassing, but for me it was "Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein." In fairness, I was pretty young.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Kind of embarrassing, but for me it was "Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein." In fairness, I was pretty young.

I'm assuming it was Costello that terrified you.....

4 hours ago, Henley Hornbrook said:

Sleestaks from land of the lost always got me 

Frontpage

Holy shit those were my favorite.  Holly was a piece of ass to this 7 year old

Can't believe nobody mentioned the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  Terrified me.

The Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, 2slow said:

Can't believe nobody mentioned the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  Terrified me.

The Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz.

Nailed my top two. I kinda liked the bats. But that witch and the child catcher looked way too much like real people in my neighborhood to let me sleep nights.

The Day After kinda fucked me up, sharks didn't scare me as much as nuclear war. And the book 1984 still terrifies me, though not the movies. Orwell perfectly captured paranoia and fear in that book.

makes you wonder. All those innovative "special effects" (that terrifying bouncing blob in  "The Prisoner" was a white balloon with a air bloer to make it wobble)

Gave us nightmares, I must ask my kids if any of the sophisticated special effects of the naughties had any lasting effect. I've suspect over exposure breeds contempt. I know the "hounds" and the wolf in "Neverending story" scared them. 

On Dr Who.

I haven't watched for over 20 years.

This discussion provoked a mild interest.

So.. the full series 10 is currently screening on ABC IVEIW, I thought I's have a peek.

That theme music, just provoked the biggest grin..back to twenties bliss .

Bye 

Yeah, "The Birds".  I was in elementary school at the time it came out and have no idea what my mom was thinking taking me to see it in the theater.  I think I ended up puking.  Thankfully I got over it and enjoy watching a "murder" of crows interacting.

I still get out surfing, SUP and skin diving occasionally.  Sitting on your board in NE FL, most times you can't see your legs below your knees from all the fine silt in the water.  To this day, I still have not seen JAWS and don't plan on it.  "Sharknado" maybe :-)

"

Dontchya still think that you'll be swallowed up by quicksand with all of the cartoons you watched? That shit is everywhere!

• Like 1

House on Haunted Hill.  Especially this rope scene. 

I was about 7 when my sister convinced our mom to let us go see some movie about an Indian and his horse.  This was back in the double header days.  The other movie was House on Haunted Hill.  My mother forbade us to see it so we had to promise her we wouldn't go into the theater while the movie was playing.  She even timed our departure so we'd arrive at the theater just before the Indian movie began.  But we still got there early.  And my sister insisted we go in.

HHH_ropescene.jpg.371d04c2348ab18af25bedf63f690fc9.jpg

I had my own bedroom at the time and every night I imagined this rope coming in my window.  There was a small bathroom off my bedroom that had a drippy faucet and made all kinds of sounds.  I was convinced there was a skeleton in there.  I was absolutely scared shitless every night.  And I couldn't tell my mom.

The beast from 20,000 fathoms , 

saw it then slept in a ( tried to) room over looking east chester bay , waiting for the monster to surface,

Image result for beast from 20 000 fathoms

Jaws - wouldn’t jump in Lake Michigan without my dad in the water first for a LONG time. 

The Hitcher - final scenes were plenty enough for me.

13 minutes ago, PatsyQPatsy said:

The Deer Hunter  Never stopped thinking about it and never thought the same.

Mau !...mau!!...mau !

16 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Yup, that one, saw it when I was 14, definitely too young & didn't sleep well for quite a while.

yep

2 hours ago, Fisher said:

Jaws - wouldn’t jump in Lake Michigan without my dad in the water first for a LONG time. 

The Hitcher - final scenes were plenty enough for me.

pool-shark-4.jpg

ok boomer, 1956 Invasion of the body snatchers,, The 1978 was also ok , Talk about not going to sleep at night

watch the Critics'pick for the true meaning of the movie from Communism to the Ike president

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Dontchya still think that you'll be swallowed up by quicksand with all of the cartoons you watched? That shit is everywhere!

That never scared me. But those portable holes the Roadrunner throws in front of you. Man, I hate those things. 

• Like 2

Screw scary movies.  I was 8 years old during the Cuban Missile Crisis and lived on the Easy Coast of Florida, a few miles south of Patrick AFB, where U-2's and what seemed to be every fighter plane in the country were operating from during that time.   My bedroom window faced South and I didn't really understand it all but do remember sitting sleepless and looking out the window wondering when I'd see incoming missiles...

20 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

North by Northwest - I had nightmares about Mount Rushmore for years.

Psycho - like that entire generation I have never been 100% comfortable in the shower since.

Hitchcock was The master.

Agree, but this tells our age....  Dr Phibes was fairly freaky, too

Too many to recall them all! First came King Kong (tRex!!!) and  the Frankenstein, Werewolf and early vampire movies. Maybe not traumatic but disturbing. Let's not forget all the forgettable cheesy shlock flicks like The Crawling Eye and Invaders From Mars. After IFM I actually started watching my parent's behavior when I thought they were being excessively... parental.I can still remember being scared shitless about Mummies and the Yeti while having to walk the dog at night in suburban NJ circa early 60s.

I saw Jaws with 2 girls that left claw prints in my arms that night. I went night surfing the next night to prove I wasn't afraid. I lied.

Probably the last movie that really scared me before I finally grew up enough was Alien. I hated being alone in the dark for quite a while after that one. And I was in my late 20s then.

Deliverance. I was 12. Still can't see Ned Beatty without thinking about mountain men.

The original Aliens. Was 16, bumming around Newport with a buddy. We met two girls that day. Found some beers and some weed, then went to the 9pm show. I was seriously frightened the entire movie. When the alien exploded out of the guys stomach I think I nearly broke her hand.  Could barely look at the screen after that. No sleep that night, no second date. 

Too many to count.

The Fog
The Thing
Jaws
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Exorcist
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Hellraiser

Fuck it.  Why did I watch horror movies?

MS

Had no fucking idea what this movie was about. Harvard Square theater,  Hippies at the ticket booth would let anyone in including 15 year olds. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=pink+flamingos&oq=pink+flamingos&aqs=chrome..69i57j46j0l2.8905j0j7&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=9zfiNgAxII

12 minutes ago, Xlot said:

As a four year old, Bambi

Well if we are going there, Old Yeller

1 hour ago, Monkey Butler said:

Had no fucking idea what this movie was about. Harvard Square theater,  Hippies at the ticket booth would let anyone in including 15 year olds. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=pink+flamingos&oq=pink+flamingos&aqs=chrome..69i57j46j0l2.8905j0j7&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=9zfiNgAxII

Whoa! 

Just remembered Forbidden Planet. It was already an old movie when I first saw it right about the time I entered puberty.

Anne Francis, a cool robot, Leslie Nielson, pace suits and rocket ships, scary Id monsters, puberty. What could possibly cause a young man consternation?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/

On 2/19/2020 at 5:27 PM, Nettles said:

+100 on The motherfucking Birds... I was like 9 when that aired on tv one night... eliminated an entire genre of movies for me.

I still get the willies when I see big flocks of birds doin weird shit.

the exorcist was a comedy.. had way too much acid in my brain the night I saw that movie in the theater.. after the movie we all went down to the staircase in Georgetown.  all these other people with the same idea were there..  about a hundred of us ended up on the canal towpath partying that night.

5 hours ago, Willin' said:

Too many to recall them all! First came King Kong (tRex!!!) and  the Frankenstein, Werewolf and early vampire movies. Maybe not traumatic but disturbing. Let's not forget all the forgettable cheesy shlock flicks like The Crawling Eye and Invaders From Mars. After IFM I actually started watching my parent's behavior when I thought they were being excessively... parental.I can still remember being scared shitless about Mummies and the Yeti while having to walk the dog at night in suburban NJ circa early 60s.

I saw Jaws with 2 girls that left claw prints in my arms that night. I went night surfing the next night to prove I wasn't afraid. I lied.

Probably the last movie that really scared me before I finally grew up enough was Alien. I hated being alone in the dark for quite a while after that one. And I was in my late 20s then.

Invaders from Mars to a 7 year old was some scary shit. The Mummy like Martians, that big ray gun thingy, the sink hole. Freaked me out big time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Willin' said:

Just remembered Forbidden Planet. It was already an old movie when I first saw it right about the time I entered puberty.

Anne Francis, a cool robot, Leslie Nielson, pace suits and rocket ships, scary Id monsters, puberty. What could possibly cause a young man consternation?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049223/

Oldest movie in my collection, fair to say it would have had a bigger impact on my mother & her younger siblings, she would have been 18 at the time, still wonder if she knew it was based on "The Tempest", she also spoke frequently about "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" & "Psycho".

You should have heard the rant that Harlan Ellison went on when their was talk of re-making "Forbidden Planet", & I totally agreed, you could not make it any better than it already is!

I was 16 when Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho came out. I don't think I slept all night when I saw it.  

Twilight Zone - the episode about the invisible monster that killed people in the night.  I was afraid of the dark for many years.

38 minutes ago, Big Bob said:

I was 16 when Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho came out. I don't think I slept all night when I saw it.  

How are you in the shower? :D

On 2/19/2020 at 1:57 PM, Shortforbob said:

The British film, "A night to remember" (sinking of the Titanic) I blame for my fear of sailing open water. Fears that only resurfaced in my 20's.

The 1958 classic movie, and the very best Titanic one.  Well worth watching.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 10:40 PM, 2slow said:

Thanks for that.  So much for getting a good nights sleep for the next week or so.....

Image result for child catcher in chitty chitty bang bang

• Like 2

Or the more modern version......

Image result for child catcher in chitty chitty bang bang

• Like 2

Can’t you fuckers dial down the not so thinly veiled political comments?  G.Zeus, you have a whole fucking forum for that shit. Take it to PA!

12 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

Too many to count.

The Fog
The Thing
Jaws
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Exorcist
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Hellraiser

Fuck it.  Why did I watch horror movies?

MS

Image result for pinhead hellraiser

I'd forgotten how disturbing that film was until you mentioned it.:o

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

The Exorcist

Oh, yeah.  I think I was 21 when I saw this at the theater.  It made going to sleep at night very unsettling.

1972 "Horror Express" 

Those red eyes and the darkness...

Image result for horror express 1972 gifs

I wasn’t a kid, but I’ll second the HELLRAISER movies, and add PHANTASM, don’t think that’s been mentioned. Odd, now I look again, it’s not as scary