Sign in to follow this  
sealion

Perfect £150k single/double handed boat

Cutting across lots of threads but...  

what would you buy if you wanted a modern fast boat if you had £150k to spend. 

For single or double handed racing but also has some accommodation for cruising-ish and maybe now and again round the cans with crew. 

Would it be a cat, tri or monohull. 

Pogo 30

dehler 30 OD

sunfast 3300

jpk1030

dragonfly 25

seacart 30

all seem to fit the bill. What cats are there? I love multihulls. Upwind speed and power reaching at nearly twice what a mono could do. But the new breed of 30 footers are putting monohulls back in the limelight. 

What would you get and why??

You won't get a Dehler 30 OD, Sun Fast 3300 or JPK 1030 for £150k by the time they are delivered, equipped (sails, electronics safety gear), commissioned, launched - great boats though they all are, they are too new to be avialable on the used market yet. You will be able to get the following competent and proven used monos with sport performance for the budget - Sun Fast 3200 & 3600, JPK 1010, J105. I don't muh about the Cat market in this area, but there are more racimg opportunities with the monos.

Depends on location. I’m guessing Europe from the boat list. Also you didn’t specify how much offshore versus inshore racing. Definitely factors that have affected my choice of boat for the same purpose and price range. 

Used jpk 1010....3200 r2 very cool. I think the trans Quadra winning bepox still for sale if u fancy a reaching machine. A tarted up a31 with twin rudders bulb keel carbon mast all new sail and electronics.  There is a sunfast 3600 available from Adrianl a user on here that is pretty much the most boat u can buy for that money if you are in the states. 

If u r you young and strong yes a used class 40. But you better also be a darn good sailor. And have another 50k over next 2 years.

Dragonfly and Seacart.....? It would be a monohull.

As a Waarschip owner, I have to drag you here. Sorry.

A bit smaller (surely more space than a Dragonfly), Waarschip 27 CR. Surely a small 2-handed weapon to tow-away.

Waarschip-27-CR-voor-1.jpg

More seriously in this order:

J/88

Finnflyer 34 GT if you can blackmail the owner to give it away.

Archambault 31 or even A35, but mind you: OEM is gone. 

Dehler 34 (new versions) also already becoming available in this price range, more comfy and beamy in the back.

HP 1030 if you can find one.

JPK 9.60 maybe?

Question to OP - Why pick a price point that has less relevance than ever. There are way too many boats that come in for less than 50k that are capable of doing everything you want.

Some interesting boats being suggested. I guess I picked 150k as that was around where I was thinking the new breed of thirty footers were without taxes. 

Agree that there are older boats with some investment can make a great choice.

I do like the look of the Dehler 30od. Will have to see where they are priced in a couple of years when they start showing up on the second hand market. I suspect they will be pretty rare like pogo30’s. 

3 hours ago, Black Jack said:

Question to OP - Why pick a price point that has less relevance than ever. There are way too many boats that come in for less than 50k that are capable of doing everything you want.

I know this is not for everyone. Seeing Gordie Nash's boat Arcadia at the CYC midwinters last week reminded me that we make get a fast unique boat that runs far below the 150K. He did his work mostly himself. An old Santana 27  rated at PHRF 211...

santana_27_photo.jpg

Now a bit more modern - she now rates a quick 123. :o

Arcadia-2008-TBF.jpg

http://www.norcalsailing.com/entries/2011/05/10/arcadia-files.html

While I haven't sailed one, if I were looking to spend around $150k I would go pick up an L30. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2018/shipman-l30-one-design-3497226/

I have a preference for self-sufficiency (no yards for lifts or cranes), and to be able to travel with the boat to go to different events and still knock out an ocean passage here and there in my life which adds a beam restriction for roads. 

If you want maximum performance and ”bang for the buck” from a solo/double hand perspective i would recommend a Fareast 31 R GRP (ie not the carbon one). Fully equipped with sails, instruments, AP and trailer for less than 150k for a brand new boat. Faster than most 45-50 footers, easy to sail singlehanded. Super happy with my boat! Not for cruising though! Two births could be installed but it is practically just an empty shell inside.

When I shifted from an 1986 36 foot boat i wanted something new. I looked into trimarans but there were so few racing where i live so i ended up with a really fast keelboat i stead that could fit for both single/double handed as well as full crew. The bulb on this is huge (1,2 tons) which means you trade off some ”sporty” feel in the heavy breeze but on the other hand you have excellent righting moment sailing solo or double handed.

6AC8E9E8-B338-480D-B817-65D39FB1A327.jpeg

3715083D-D597-4689-97AF-31FC0368D844.jpeg

52D71413-5245-433C-8A54-8C2BE2E3C41B.jpeg

542CD77F-06FF-41FD-B677-0D61A06F82EC.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 8:45 PM, sealion said:

Agree that there are older boats with some investment can make a great choice.

Just make sure you buy something where the previous owner has put in the investment rather than doing it yourself.

Hard to beat a <£50k J/105 that has been sorted properly by someone else for bang for buck. Good spec J/88s also seem surprisingly cheap secondhand in the UK?

6 hours ago, Snowden said:

Just make sure you buy something where the previous owner has put in the investment rather than doing it yourself.

Hard to beat a <£50k J/105 that has been sorted properly by someone else for bang for buck. Good spec J/88s also seem surprisingly cheap secondhand in the UK?

Lots of J88s going cheap in the UK, I’m gonna be entering some solo and double handed sailing in a J88 in the UK this year. Specs of the boats vary slightly but one has an extra battery as well as a furling headstay, the others are all on foils. The J105 continues to be an exceptional offshore short handed boat, the 2 handed class in the Fastnet was won by one not long ago

On 2/24/2020 at 9:35 AM, JL92S said:

Lots of J88s going cheap in the UK, I’m gonna be entering some solo and double handed sailing in a J88 in the UK this year. Specs of the boats vary slightly but one has an extra battery as well as a furling headstay, the others are all on foils. The J105 continues to be an exceptional offshore short handed boat, the 2 handed class in the Fastnet was won by one not long ago

Wish they made a J88 with an option for a lifting keel...  I feel like the boat could have built a bigger following. They are certainly fun to sail and a lot packed into a small package. 

1 hour ago, JoelGreatLakes said:

Wish they made a J88 with an option for a lifting keel...  I feel like the boat could have built a bigger following. They are certainly fun to sail and a lot packed into a small package. 

J boats would have sold more than 1,000 boats if they marketed FT10 as J/101.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoelGreatLakes said:

It would have raised the price of an already very expensive 29 footer from new. In the UK it’s too small to be a big boat but too big to be a small boat (2 jibs and 3 kites, all 3Di upwind sails), not racy enough to make the hardcore racers happy and not comfy enough to make the furniture racers happy. Having said all that it’s great fun to race, that’s the stupid thing!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JL92S said:

It would have raised the price of an already very expensive 29 footer from new. In the UK it’s too small to be a big boat but too big to be a small boat (2 jibs and 3 kites, all 3Di upwind sails), not racy enough to make the hardcore racers happy and not comfy enough to make the furniture racers happy. Having said all that it’s great fun to race, that’s the stupid thing!

In the UK big boats have to go offshore, otherwise you are committed to bashing around the Solent every weekend, which soon gets boring. If you want to spend £100k on an inshore toy, you might as well spend a bit more and go HP30.

I would consider buying a detuned furniture version rating <1.020, OSR 2, proper rudder (not transom hung) for a stock-mounted pilot ram and alu mast to keep costs down. That would be a fun offshore 1H/2H boat.

6 hours ago, Snowden said:

In the UK big boats have to go offshore, otherwise you are committed to bashing around the Solent every weekend, which soon gets boring. If you want to spend £100k on an inshore toy, you might as well spend a bit more and go HP30.

I would consider buying a detuned furniture version rating <1.020, OSR 2, proper rudder (not transom hung) for a stock-mounted pilot ram and alu mast to keep costs down. That would be a fun offshore 1H/2H boat.

And we arrive back at the J105!

the Seacart 30 needs modification to deck layout to become shorthanded capable (yep done that) plus a top end pilot (i'm running B&G H5000)

- but it is a fantastic weapon 

where on the planet are you based??
In the UK we have a very active 2H fleet (RORC) and Solo fleet (SORC) with lots of crossover and lots of sailors open to share and assist

On 2/25/2020 at 1:30 PM, JoelGreatLakes said:

Andrews 28 is this and more. 

Greg

On 2/22/2020 at 6:37 PM, JoelGreatLakes said:

While I haven't sailed one, if I were looking to spend around $150k

OP said £150K. More like US$200K.

So after taking part in an Olympic mixed doubles class training event over the weekend in the J88 I can tell you they’re still a handful in big waves and big breeze! Training along side 2 Sunfast 3600s a Sunfast 3200 and First 40.7 some things became clear. A few people envied they lower loads on our boat, they however did not envy us being in a 2.3T boat in a big wind over tide! The 2 3600s has about a 0.6 - 0.7kt advantage over us on the beats. The 3200 we could match upwind but pull away from downwind. It is unknown wether the Olympic equipment will include an autopilot in which case the J88 would be an exhausting boat to race hard. This could make it a more challenging boat for sailors. 

• Like 1

PHRF ratings seem to stay the same for full crew vs single/double-handed. I believe PHRF ratings are based on the assumption of 500+ lbs of crew weight on the rail upwind.

Is it favorable for shorthanded sailing, to pick a skinny, lighter boat with a moderately deep heavy keel (modified hobie 33? olson 30?), or other form factor that crew weight doesn't impact the rating as much? A ship that rates 70 with 5 people on the rail might theoretically rate 85 with just the skipper at the helm, while another narrow boat with 8' keel that rates 70 with 5 people on the rail might rate 75 single-handed? Is that possible?

I was chatting with a short handed sailor, his secret weapon was to run the autopilot via remote control and then hike out at the shrouds for longer legs. Putting even one "crew" on the rail in a single handed race seems like a decent advantage.

11 hours ago, Hadlock said:

I was chatting with a short handed sailor, his secret weapon was to run the autopilot via remote control and then hike out at the shrouds for longer legs. Putting even one "crew" on the rail in a single handed race seems like a decent advantage.

Fore and aft trim probably more relevant than marginal righting moment increase? Especially if you are sailing something with a fat arse in light winds.

12 hours ago, Hadlock said:

Varies between boats, skippers, autopilot being used etc I would say. If I’m 2 handing the J88 then I send my crew to the rail as soon as possible. The SF3600 does better with someone trimming the main more actively as it’s pretty powered up in anything over 10kts of wind. Single handed it could well pay to get some rest on the rail and leave the pilot to work if it’s a fast pilot and you have a tippy boat. Again with the 3600 in a lumpy upwind leg I found it was faster to trim the main and let the pilot steer, it’s a H5000 pilot and very good. It’s like trimming the main for a very predictable helmsman in the way that it alters course to keep speed high.