mundt

Best sailing lakes North America?

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

parameters please,  

size boat ?

recreation ?

racing ?

camping ?

partying ?

getting lost on ?

I don't know why Mundt asks, but I would like to know for daysailing my Weta and possibly occasionally camping.  Nice, soft beaches to drag the boat up on and consistent winds are a high priority.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are over 250000 lakes in Ontario alone. Maybe narrow your search. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, basketcase said:

There are over 250000 lakes in Ontario alone. Maybe narrow your search. 

And 250000 squared black flies in the summertime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too vague.  I mean, Superior, Huron, Michigan, Erie, and Ontario are great (ahem), and in New York alone there are dozens of awesome sailing lakes--the Finger Lakes, Blue Mountain Lake, Champlain, Lake George....

Here's my question: what are the best no motor / limited hp motor sailing lakes in the US?  I'd love to be able to sail on a nice lake without being waked or having to listen to 1,000 watt stereos, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lake Ray Hubbard outside of Dallas.  Elevated reservoir, no breeze obstruction and a honking Southerly thermal, (all the way from the gulf) that runs like 80% of the year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clarification?  Specification?  I said SAILING, damnit, meaning a boat, on water, being propelled by wind!  So yes, the parameters to be measured would certainly include the quality and quantity of both wind and water as well as ambience, amenities, accessibility et. al.  Thanks again for your kind consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parameters of minimal to no power boats, and camping will tend to limit you to canoe/kayak lakes. 

Try reservoirs where they may prohibit gas engines. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm prejudiced but my vote is for Lake Michigan.  Usually no issues with depth.  Sailing can be anywhere from a dead calm to as frightening as you want.

Lots of harbors to visit.  From as big as Chicago to great little stops like Leland.  It has Green Bay to the west and Little and Grand Traverse Bay to the east with a few islands in between. 

If heading north, you can go to Mackinac Island and up into the North Channel.  There's Lake Huron access without any locks and Georgian Bay north of that.  You can spend years cruising and never tire of it.

Only negative - it gets a bit nippy in the winter. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

And 250000 squared black flies in the summertime.

X probably trillions. That said, to generalize they're more of a nuisance in N Ontario. To be specific, they are really only active for about 1 week a year as late spring gives way to the earliest signs of summer...after that they're pretty much done biting til next season. 

Maybe for the OP, check out the North Channel and surrounding areas.

http://www.boatinggeorgianbay.com/channel.html

 https://www.northernontario.travel/algoma-country/cruising-the-north-channel-lake-superior-boating-list-of-algoma-marinas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks really nice but I was thinking of a place where you could swim several months a year without freezing your wiener off.  There are some very nice mountain lakes here in Cali but all may be permanently dried up boneyards soon and most are very chilly 10 months a year.  Seems like it they are comfortably swimable they're likely overrun with jet skis and stinkers bent on mayhem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caney Creek Lake in (and for ) North Louisiana. Forgetting all other factors,has most reliable wind in the northern part of the state. No personal prejudices.  One of the major reasons we built our home on its shores was because of the wind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a star North Americans at lake George in upstate New York and it was beautiful 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll mention the Bras d’Or Lakes on Cape Breton Island only because I have always wanted to sail there. I have been in Baddeck only for a day but I didn’t want to leave. Technically not a true lake but still in North America. Swimmable water. Long summer daylight. Nicest people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, Jules said:

I'm prejudiced but my vote is for Lake Michigan.  Usually no issues with depth.  Sailing can be anywhere from a dead calm to as frightening as you want.

Lots of harbors to visit.  From as big as Chicago to great little stops like Leland.  It has Green Bay to the west and Little and Grand Traverse Bay to the east with a few islands in between. 

If heading north, you can go to Mackinac Island and up into the North Channel.  There's Lake Huron access without any locks and Georgian Bay north of that.  You can spend years cruising and never tire of it.

Only negative - it gets a bit nippy in the winter. 

DITTO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big Huntington Lake regatta was a blast back in the day.  So many boats, so many crews, great fun camping.  I don't know if it's still going on.

Lake Tahoe is beautiful, but cold, especially with a Laser.

Lake Garda is on my bucket list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 4:48 PM, Jules said:

I'm prejudiced but my vote is for Lake Michigan.  Usually no issues with depth.  Sailing can be anywhere from a dead calm to as frightening as you want.

Lots of harbors to visit.  From as big as Chicago to great little stops like Leland.  It has Green Bay to the west and Little and Grand Traverse Bay to the east with a few islands in between. 

If heading north, you can go to Mackinac Island and up into the North Channel.  There's Lake Huron access without any locks and Georgian Bay north of that.  You can spend years cruising and never tire of it.

Only negative - it gets a bit nippy in the winter. 

And if you formerly sailed in salt water,  not having to wash down the boat, sails, gear, etc. at the end of the day is wonderful.  The potential downside is that it gives you more time to drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

The big Huntington Lake regatta was a blast back in the day.  So many boats, so many crews, great fun camping.  I don't know if it's still going on.

Lake Tahoe is beautiful, but cold, especially with a Laser.

Lake Garda is on my bucket list.

FYI:

High Sierra Regatta

 

and if you are a multi huller (beach cat or weta) there is the Commodore's classic June 20 & 21

Commodore's Classic

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, Left Shift said:

And 250000 squared black flies in the summertime.

Ya, but summer is only a week and a half. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel lucky to sail on Lake Champlain.

1118896387_VIPERCHAMPLAIN2019-037.thumb.jpeg.384c71aabbea6bfd12bde154a7093c50.jpeg

Photo Credit: Gerry Davis

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 3:24 PM, RobbieB said:

Lake Ray Hubbard outside of Dallas.  Elevated reservoir, no breeze obstruction and a honking Southerly thermal, (all the way from the gulf) that runs like 80% of the year.

as long as you're not downwind of the water treatment plant  or the sounds of the power plant..  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 3:30 PM, The great unwashed said:

Looking at Lake Ray Hubbard sat photos, and all the huge marina boathouses, I'm guessing you can walk from shore to shore on motorboats on a summer weekend?

not really..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lake Champlain looks very nice.  Which of all the surrounding towns would be best to live in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many months a year would a weak, southern California sissy boy have to leave due to coldish weather?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mundt said:

How many months a year would a weak, southern California sissy boy have to leave due to coldish weather?  

Most of them!

:P :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a look at the average temps in that area.  Holy shit!  Don't you people realize that mammals aren't designed to function in that type of weather!  What is wrong with you savages?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, mundt said:

Name and explain, please.  Thanks.

What matters to you in a sailing lake?

  1. Sailing culture; the presence of other sailboats, races, sophistication of taste in sailboats and watercraft generally
  2. Shoreside facilities; marinas with travelifts, shore power, pumpouts, clubs with reciprocal privileges
  3. A meaningful past; the presence of historical boats from prior centuries, an appreciation of history and context
  4. Seasons, or perhaps the lack of them if you prefer; ice boat racing in the winter, a rhythm of building in the winter and sailing in the summer
  5. Safety; smaller sailing lakes offer shelter readily at hand and a short fetch that means offshore conditions will never occur
  6. Adventure; there are those lakes where remote shorelines and difficult conditions are their own reward
  7. Size; there are smaller lakes that offer excellent sailing yet lack the opportunity for exploration
  8. Sailing focus; as there are those lakes that have fantastic sailing but which also attract cabin cruisers, PWCs, etc

Depending on all that you might like Lake Lanier, but it didn't exist until 1956 and there are lots of power boats.  But it has a long season

Or you might like Lake Superior where people have been sailing since 1650, you'll be by yourself and have all the challenge you want, you'll never get bored, but it gets kinda cold

Been on both

And there's plenty in between

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lake of the Woods on the Minnesota-Manitoba-Ontario border. Thousands of islands, remote and underpopulated.  Lots of small harbors with small sand beaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mundt said:

I had a look at the average temps in that area.  Holy shit!  Don't you people realize that mammals aren't designed to function in that type of weather!  What is wrong with you savages?  

Viking descendants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 4:30 PM, The great unwashed said:

Looking at Lake Ray Hubbard sat photos, and all the huge marina boathouses, I'm guessing you can walk from shore to shore on motorboats on a summer weekend?

Well. Not back in 2001.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

as long as you're not downwind of the water treatment plant  or the sounds of the power plant..  

Forgot about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, Mundt is clearly a pussy when it comes to temperature, he should just shop South of the Mason Dixon Line. He clearly doesn't have the stones to sail in Canada or on the great lakes. Nor finger lakes, or Champlain etc.

Too bad, they are beautiful.

Mundt, if you lived on Champlain you could get some excellent ice boating in too.

Or nut up and join the polar bear club to expand your range of acceptable swimming temperatures.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having spent month there in summer 2019, I can attest to the waters around Traverse City Michigan as among the best protected sailing in the continent.  In the weeks we were there we sailed pretty much all of it from Harbor Spring$ to TC and in between.  The water is deep enough and warmish in summer.  Winds ranged from dead calm to 25 knots and were never the same, so good variety.  The towns are beautiful and easy .5 to 1 day sail between if you want to junk-hole.  Prices ranged from ridiculous to plain cheap.  People were nice and the scenery beats most everywhere.  Dock the bike, stroll into town and grab concert on the lawn and dinner.  Ride bikes, hikes, see museums.  Race and regatta every weekend if that's your gig.  Just like a Preachers dick at a wedding...you just can't beat it!  At least June through October.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Forgot about that!

it's a decent lake to be on,  multiple marinas,  Rush Creek runs lots of regattas,  several restaurants you can sail up to and dock... always a breeze at night, powerboats or watercraft never bother you as they are on the north side of rt 30.    better for bigger boats,  friend had a tartan 27 on the lake and that fit nicely another friend has a bene 32.. large enough lake you can get a couple hour sail and not be doing circles all day...  saw a bald eagle grab a big ass fish out of the water one evening...    pretty much sailing year round if you want..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

Having spent month there in summer 2019, I can attest to the waters around Traverse City Michigan as among the best protected sailing in the continent.  In the weeks we were there we sailed pretty much all of it from Harbor Spring$ to TC and in between.  The water is deep enough and warmish in summer.  Winds ranged from dead calm to 25 knots and were never the same, so good variety.  The towns are beautiful and easy .5 to 1 day sail between if you want to junk-hole.  Prices ranged from ridiculous to plain cheap.  People were nice and the scenery beats most everywhere.  Dock the bike, stroll into town and grab concert on the lawn and dinner.  Ride bikes, hikes, see museums.  Race and regatta every weekend if that's your gig.  Just like a Preachers dick at a wedding...you just can't beat it!  At least June through October.

 

i saw in a UP state park a telephone pole used to measure snow height, it went up to 40 feet..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i saw in a UP state park a telephone pole used to measure snow height, it went up to 40 feet..

Didn't say: a) I was in the UP.  Northern Michigan is not the UP and b) I disqualified the winters months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 7:43 PM, mundt said:

Looks really nice but I was thinking of a place where you could swim several months a year without freezing your wiener off. ....

So you now have a season length criteria...(by the way I've happily swum in Georgian Bay June - October, May a bit brisk). You might be surprised about relative temp of Northern shores of great lakes....read up on Ekman spiral and tilted thermocline

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love lake sailing.  The sailors are dedicated and competition can be at high.  In the inter mountainwest we can have entire seasons on hold however because of low lake levels.  I grew up sailing on Elephant Butte Reservoir in New Mexico.  

Here's my rundown of my favorite lakes...

Bear Lake, UT/ID  - my home port.  Active club and good racing with 5-12 boats for a given regatta or series.  Beautiful location.  Lot's of acre feet of water to sail on.  The lake is free of crowds in the shoulder seasons.  The boat ramp and marina are crowded from June-Aug.  But there's always plenty of water to sail on.  There is a distinct lack of anchorages however.  And the marina is maxed out with years long wait lists for slips.  Dry sailing is ramp only but doable for sure.

Jordanelle Reservoir-  Home to Park City Sailing Association, THE club in Utah for growing the sport.  Awesome youth and weeknight racing programs.  The lake itself is beautiful but forget sailing on summer weekends...way too crowded.

Utah Lake - shallow and prone to algae blooms but there's a dedicated group of sailors.

Great Salt Lake- beautiful place to sail once you get away from the shore.  15 keelboats typical of Wednesday night racing.  Lake is prone to drought however and the outlook isn't good.

Flathead Lake in MT.  Awesome place.  Wind is best in the a.m.

Lake Pleasant, AZ was pretty amazing 2 weeks ago.  Excellent weather and competitive PHRF fleet.

Lake Dillon in CO is pretty amazing as well.  Wind and weather is all over the place but the sailors are good and the fleets are big.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Blunted, yes, after having spent several decades soaking in coldish water I often long for H2O that doesn't require a wetsuit or extensive foulies.  Whenever I surf or sail in tropicalish locales I squeal and giggle like a little girl on crack.  Not being hypothermic with purple hands and feet when leaving the water is such a delight.  And yes, I am a pussy, having fought all manner of toil and trouble on land and sea for years, as Captain Ahab said, "I feel heaped upon"  from time to time.  I think I'd love sailing some of the northern lakes but when the average high is in the 20s for months on end that sounds like a recipe for cabin fever.  If I do run across any of you modern day Vikings I'll be more than happy to hoist a few with ye on our way to Vallhala!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mundt said:

Dear Blunted, yes, after having spent several decades soaking in coldish water I often long for H2O that doesn't require a wetsuit or extensive foulies.  Whenever I surf or sail in tropicalish locales I squeal and giggle like a little girl on crack.  Not being hypothermic with purple hands and feet when leaving the water is such a delight.  And yes, I am a pussy, having fought all manner of toil and trouble on land and sea for years, as Captain Ahab said, "I feel heaped upon"  from time to time.  I think I'd love sailing some of the northern lakes but when the average high is in the 20s for months on end that sounds like a recipe for cabin fever.  If I do run across any of you modern day Vikings I'll be more than happy to hoist a few with ye on our way to Vallhala!

That’s an entirely reasonable position to hold. May your swimming and sailing waters always be as warm as your pee.

im Canadian, I am obliged to defend cold water living despite my poor circulation in my extremeties and my aversion to ice over the bow

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always had a blast doing the mac races on Huron and Michigan.

I'm getting my boat fixed up and plan to cruise both for at least a couple summers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, mundt said:

I had a look at the average temps in that area.  Holy shit!  Don't you people realize that mammals aren't designed to function in that type of weather!  What is wrong with you savages?  

You can find multi season sailing north of the mason dixon line

You just have to be more broadminded about your atire. For example Kingston on Lake Ontario offers a range of seasonal experiences:

 

47050579_2133750803336876_80900759472203

2015-01-Iceboat-002.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KC375 said:

You can find multi season sailing north of the mason dixon line

You just have to be more broadminded about your atire. For example Kingston on Lake Ontario offers a range of seasonal experiences:

 

47050579_2133750803336876_80900759472203

2015-01-Iceboat-002.jpg

Kingston is some of the nicest sailing i have ever enjoyed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, basketcase said:

Kingston is some of the nicest sailing i have ever enjoyed. 

Kingston has a pretty consistent thermal effect that makes for good sailing, the other end of the lake (Toronto)...less so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Home lake is Fern Ridge reservoir out side of Eugene Oregon.....small but we have hosted Thistle nationals and Santana 20 nationals... 2 yacht clubs ...Thursday night club racing  will bring of on average 35 boats..Thistles, S20s Wavelength 24s and a PHRF class plus a mix of multihulls  plus a Social sail on Tuesdays open to all called the Beer can...a horn blows...a loose and friendly start at the 5mph buoys then sail on the outside of the Olympic circle for 30 min horn then blows again sail back and finish at the 5mph buoys...usually a 5 to 15mph breeze out of the north in early fall it smells like apples and pears from the orchards...some times we get bigger wind from the west ( 60 miles to the coast )….2 county owned marinas and one county campground and one privately owned...season last in-between April 1st to mid Oct. lake is drained for flood control....google Eugene Yacht club and Triton Yacht club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

surprised no one has mentioned the finger lakes in NY...    for bigger boats we have lake texoma up on the TX/OK border,   

here's a list of the biggest lakes in tx,  

https://travelartsy.com/10-of-the-biggest-lakes-in-texas-for-year-round-recreation/

then's there's the Ponchitrane in  La.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Kingston has a pretty consistent thermal effect that makes for good sailing, the other end of the lake (Toronto)...less so.

ya. im from toronto, i know all to well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, basketcase said:

ya. im from toronto, i know all to well.

at least the wind picks up in October...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KC375 said:

at least the wind picks up in October...

Years ago, i built myself a little 20 foot catamaran with a 32 foot stick on it (my avatar). After a few years of drifting around, i built a 37 foot mast. Its way too much in 20 knots of breeze, but killer in 5 knots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, basketcase said:

Years ago, i built myself a little 20 foot catamaran with a 32 foot stick on it (my avatar). After a few years of drifting around, i built a 37 foot mast. Its way too much in 20 knots of breeze, but killer in 5 knots.

design for the light and reef for the rest

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 5:07 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

as long as you're not downwind of the water treatment plant  or the sounds of the power plant..  

I'm in captain's cove marina so quite close to the power station.  I think the power station had only fired up for about 3 days in total over the last 3  years? 

I have more of a noise issue with a northerly carrying i30 noise down the lake. 

Occasionally get some water treatment whiffs though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shout out to Lake Norman (near Charlotte) too, maybe more racing there than the coast of NC.  Summer brings light air and powerboat wakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 9:18 PM, JohnK said:

Lake of the Woods on the Minnesota-Manitoba-Ontario border. Thousands of islands, remote and underpopulated.  Lots of small harbors with small sand beaches.

All true, fantastic lake in many ways.

But:

1) Lack of sailing-oriented shore facilities except for one marina in Kenora.

2) There are uncharted rocks.

3) Much of the lake is part of a "green zone" where it is prohibited to anchor overnight or camp on shore except for residents of Ontario.  I have been unable to find details on exactly where the green zone begins and ends or exactly what the enforcement situation is.

So you're pretty much reduced to daysails near Kenora in a centerboard boat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 5:51 PM, mundt said:

How many months a year would a weak, southern California sissy boy have to leave due to coldish weather?  

I dunno.  Is 30° coldish?  Is 0° coldish?  Is -20°?  

My definition of coldish back when I sailed in upstate NY:  When you have to run a powerboat around the racecourse to break up the sheet ice.  

That could happened November to March.  I left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I dunno.  Is 30° coldish?  Is 0° coldish?  Is -20°?  

My definition of coldish back when I sailed in upstate NY:  When you have to run a powerboat around the racecourse to break up the sheet ice.  

That could happened November to March.  I left.

If you can still run the power boat then that it is soft water season. A little colder comes the hard water season when you can go fast - 5 times wind speed.

You know it’s gotten cold when you don’t need any math to convert between Celsius and Fahrenheit (-40)...that’s also when the ice stops being slippery (or at least less slippery)...time to go in for hot coco or go to the ski hills as there won’t be any lift lines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no contest.  The Great Lakes.  Small boat sailors can take advantage of harbors and bays and big boat sailors can stretch it out for days.  There is nothing sweeter than summer in the upper Midwest.  I will go to my grave remembering some of those long overnight passages with stars and moon above me and a warm breeze behind me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 4:58 PM, Tax Man said:

Avoid Lake Erie

bessie.jpg.c5fa5df989bd8bd496c20331a08a2767.jpg

Oh yeah !!  Here there be monsters - best avoid western Lake Erie. 

Come to think of it. some times that power boat chop (due to our shallow waters) does sorta feel like being monster-ified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lake Dillon, CO. Great for 20-30ft boats and racing. There's not many places where you can sail at 9000' above sea level and be surrounded by 12-14 thousand foot mountains!

Lots of gusts keep you on your toes, it is a beautiful and scary place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give up the lake idea and take a trip to  Banderas Bay, México!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tibor.VSS said:

Lake Dillon, CO. Great for 20-30ft boats and racing. There's not many places where you can sail at 9000' above sea level and be surrounded by 12-14 thousand foot mountains!

Lots of gusts keep you on your toes, it is a beautiful and scary place.

yeah but that 500' anchor rode is a pain in the butt...

 

and mundt, you specifically looking for fresh water?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salinity is not an issue. I love Banderas Bay, spectacular venue.  Mostly just daydreaming about what would constitute the ultimate sailor's paradise, though we know that there are always tradeoffs and compromises.  Thanks for the continued input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lake Erie hits all the marks and also has an incalculable amount natural sandy beaches. Most years you can sail April - November/Early December. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canyon Lake Texas.  Sweet water year round.  Corp Engineers lake.  No docks or shore structures allowed except by rare permit.  Constant level lake.  Appears drought proof over last 20 compared to Austin and Dallas areas.  Cheap.  Few powerboats.  Decent winds.  Clean and clear.  Available slips and housing all around.  Won't last long.  In 20 it will be another miserable traffic nitemare and powerboat shitheads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just about any lake in the USA has a power boat problem 4th of july weekend. Try a Tuesday a few days later and the water will be smooth except for the "real" waves. 

Now, if you ask a fisherman for the best place to go fishing do you expect an honest answer? 

Look where the boats are and you will find the best water...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#1 Gull Lake Michigan.  

#2 Lake Ray Hubbard Texas.

#3 Jackson Lake Wyoming.

#4 Dillon Lake Colorado.

#5 Lake Hefner OKlahoma

I could go on but these are worth the effort and my top five. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Tremolino23 said:

Just about any lake in the USA has a power boat problem 4th of july weekend. Try a Tuesday a few days later and the water will be smooth except for the "real" waves. 

Now, if you ask a fisherman for the best place to go fishing do you expect an honest answer? 

Look where the boats are and you will find the best water...

There are some awesome lakes here in the west that are "no-wake".  Heron Lake in New Mexico is one.  Hosted a Adams Cup nad J/24 District Championship once upon a time.  i believe Dillon is no-wake as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

  i believe Dillon is no-wake as well.

Well that eliminates our Santana 20.  When the wind picks up, she makes quite a wake.  Guess Colorado really, really does want me to stay away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 3:16 PM, The great unwashed said:

Too vague.  I mean, Superior, Huron, Michigan, Erie, and Ontario are great (ahem), and in New York alone there are dozens of awesome sailing lakes--the Finger Lakes, Blue Mountain Lake, Champlain, Lake George....

Here's my question: what are the best no motor / limited hp motor sailing lakes in the US?  I'd love to be able to sail on a nice lake without being waked or having to listen to 1,000 watt stereos, etc.

The impoundment lake I sail on (Carlyle, IL) doesn't have a HP restriction, but it's like having your own private lake.  Hardly anyone out there, even in the Summer.  It's about 10 miles long and 3ish miles wide, and being in IL there's usually always wind because the surrounding area is flat.  Not much development around the lake, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 11:02 PM, Swimsailor said:

There are some awesome lakes here in the west that are "no-wake".  Heron Lake in New Mexico is one.  Hosted a Adams Cup nad J/24 District Championship once upon a time.  i believe Dillon is no-wake as well.

Is heron lake worth the drive from Santa Fe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, basketcase said:

Is heron lake worth the drive from Santa Fe? 

Heck yes!  We drove up from Albuquerque every other weekend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Swimsailor said:

Heck yes!  We drove up from Albuquerque every other weekend.

i ll give it a go when i get back down that way. right now, im in rhode island working, with my little supercat 17. back in santa fe, theres a puddle im looking forward to sailing on.... cochiti lake. ive been there a few times, but without a boat. its 15 minutes from the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, basketcase said:

i ll give it a go when i get back down that way. right now, im in rhode island working, with my little supercat 17. back in santa fe, theres a puddle im looking forward to sailing on.... cochiti lake. ive been there a few times, but without a boat. its 15 minutes from the house.

Coshitty?  Any water is good in a bind.  But Heron is gorgeous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swimsailor said:

Coshitty?  Any water is good in a bind.  But Heron is gorgeous.

i ll have a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 9:02 PM, Swimsailor said:

  i believe Dillon is no-wake as well.

Not really, 

Keep at a wake-less speed when within 150 of any moored vessel, persons engaged in fishing, other moving boats, or within 100 of Marina areas and docks

It is a very nice reservoir but limited facilities and few if any places to anchor. Certainly not remote anywhere on the lake. I've kept a boat on the Frisco side for several years but not recently. Winds are fickle, to say the least. But from where I live it's the best, closest sailing lake.

i-cFSgL26-X2.jpg

 

i-DFg9rcv-XL.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of wake free zones, we have two kinds of folks in our “northern meaning North Louisiana” neck of the woods

1.  First group...Any speed below 70 mph is no wake (so mushing along just where the hull makes it’s maximum wake is really not a wake producing speed and that is ok) 

2. Second group...Any speed above ABSOLUTE ZERO (meaning where all molecular movement stops) is TOO much wake 

No one seems to know the difference or care.  The second group hates everyone (and expects the government to fix all their problems, meaning we taxpayers have to fix the lake so their below grade lake property won’t flood) and the first group is so brainless, they couldn’t care even if they wanted to.

And so ends the rant, especially considering the dangling participle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bmiller said:

Not really, 

Keep at a wake-less speed when within 150 of any moored vessel, persons engaged in fishing, other moving boats, or within 100 of Marina areas and docks

It is a very nice reservoir but limited facilities and few if any places to anchor. Certainly not remote anywhere on the lake. I've kept a boat on the Frisco side for several years but not recently. Winds are fickle, to say the least. But from where I live it's the best, closest sailing lake.

i-cFSgL26-X2.jpg

 

i-DFg9rcv-XL.jpg

Amazing views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bgytr said:

Amazing views.

Same lake, different season. Keystone in the distance.

i-bWWDTK4-L.jpg

i-msP3sdS-XL.jpg

This is all I have of twin lakes, just a little ways away.

i-fBCh9jh-XL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 11:14 PM, Swimsailor said:

Coshitty?  Any water is good in a bind.  But Heron is gorgeous.

so.... what makes cochiti shitty? i know its small, but every time ive been there, there has been breeze, and theres a sandy beach.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@basketcase Eh, That’s just what we called it growing up.  It always seemed like a big puddle.  Dirty water if any water at all.  Cochiti is primarily a flood control basin so lake levels are always changing.  Heron is another level of beauty and weather.  The New Mexico Sailing Club is based up there.  

When I was growing up there from the early 80’s to mid 90’s, those were the years where New Mexico lakes were the fullest they had ever been so I was kinda spoiled.  Cochiti was even almost full at times.

Like I said though, any water works, especially in the middle of the desert!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Swimsailor said:

@basketcase Eh, That’s just what we called it growing up.  It always seemed like a big puddle.  Dirty water if any water at all.  Cochiti is primarily a flood control basin so lake levels are always changing.  Heron is another level of beauty and weather.  The New Mexico Sailing Club is based up there.  

When I was growing up there from the early 80’s to mid 90’s, those were the years where New Mexico lakes were the fullest they had ever been so I was kinda spoiled.  Cochiti was even almost full at times.

Like I said though, any water works, especially in the middle of the desert!

Water level control and lack of charts are always issues.  Add to that any precipitation changes, which makes water control even more political, sometimes between tribes and government agencies,  the priorities motorboats can get, and sailboaters can be on the outside looking in.  In addition, private property rights and park rules can be woolly, not obvious, and not displayed.  I love lake sailing, and in some ways like it it better than salt water, but it can be damned difficult, even almost impossible in a lot of places.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Amati said:

Water level control and lack of charts are always issues.  Add to that any precipitation changes, which makes water control even more political, sometimes between tribes and government agencies,  the priorities motorboats can get, and sailboaters can be on the outside looking in.  In addition, private property rights and park rules can be woolly, not obvious, and not displayed.  I love lake sailing, and in some ways like it it better than salt water, but it can be damned difficult, even almost impossible in a lot of places.  

Story of our lives here in the Intermountain West.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 4:58 PM, Tax Man said:

Avoid Lake Erie

bessie.jpg.c5fa5df989bd8bd496c20331a08a2767.jpg

Nobody likes those huge old IOR broach coaches.  Not even mythical antediluvian sea beasts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Swimsailor said:

Story of our lives here in the Intermountain West.

No kidding.  One of the reasons we retired to salt water, which was some serious downsizing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now