Jules

In Production: Spirit 111

Probably some of the most beautiful modern production boats, Spirit is working on a 111 now.  There are pictures of the hull about to be splashed - pretty boat!

Spirit-111-launch.thumb.jpg.b00d44ae2678582c241b4c754db43a61.jpg

But the interior has yet to be done.  All they have right now are 3D CAD drawings.  I have seen interiors of other Spirits and am usually impressed.  But this?

Spirit-111-Interior-Owners-Cabin-3.thumb.jpg.f89f3d29a1f9e03e9ede260a674ebae8.jpg

Boat is being trialled (weather permitting) at the moment in/near Ipswich/Harwich.

More here: https://spirityachts.com/sailing-yachts/the-superyacht/spirit-111/?fbclid=IwAR17tK6qvEh24e36abjLJ6MqDCQ2fPVAUYtO-ve5Zr-512JPgVZ0qznimJY

And from pictures I've seen, the interior renderings are pretty much spot-on representations of real-life.

Rig arrived at yard in September: 

• Like 1

I'm sure much bigger brains than mine have worked this stuff out, but man, that sure doesn't look like a lot of lateral resistance to my eye. 

Spirit-111-launch-credit-Ian-Roman-Water

Of course, who would ever go to weather in a boat like that?

17 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I'm sure much bigger brains than mine have worked this stuff out, but man, that sure doesn't look like a lot of lateral resistance to my eye. 

How ever many millions of dollars have gone into the planning and design of this yacht...and THAT's the keel they through on it!??!  Did they not want any struggles with calculating the center?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sailman said:

How ever many millions of dollars have gone into the planning and design of this yacht...and THAT's the keel they through on it!??!  Did they not want any struggles with calculating the center?

Thx... now i have coffee all over the desk... :D:lol:

• Like 1

i don't know shit from shortcake, but I'll bet that on a boat that size part of the design brief will be a maximum draft based on the proposed cruising area. So once you've got max draft all you can really do is make the chord as long as necessary to get the thing to sail?

• Like 1

The interior has so many clean lines and no obstructions, I feel bad for any paid crew that will need to pickup all the crap off the cabin floors. 

11 hours ago, Willin' said:

Is that really "state of the art"?  Or in keeping with the retro look of the boat did they just scroll back to the best thinking of the 1950's for the underbody?  

Maybe they plan to have a diver all geared up just hanging in a closet to go clear crap off that thing. 

• Like 1

Keel does look a bit of an afterthought..."Oh sh*t, we forgot the keel!  Here, this ought to do..."

• Like 1

I like what I see but yes she looks like she might go sideways a bit beating in a good caribbean trade wind.

My bet will be mods, within 6 months of splash, did I mention said mods might be another level expensive yeah I just mentioned it.

Name it Linda Lovelace and Go deeper.

18 hours ago, Willin' said:

Don't worry, it's not meant to be sailed, but parked at some fancy Mediterranean  port.

Das Boot! C'est magnifique! A moi!

12 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Is that really "state of the art"?  Or in keeping with the retro look of the boat did they just scroll back to the best thinking of the 1950's for the underbody?  

Maybe they plan to have a diver all geared up just hanging in a closet to go clear crap off that thing. 

It's only a yacht. Don't overthink things.

(my 1st thought was yours too--wtf with that kelp ketcher?)

So lotsa comments on the keel.  What would you geniuses do differently?

• Like 1

the interiors of these new super yachts look interesting but don't look to be designed to be used whilst sailing

Was refering to hull etc; interiors vary, as tastes do, though Liquid knows also..."hanging ..." and sailing are not the same things, are they? As long as head is not in center.

11 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Full Martini glass work?

1 minute ago, BobBill said:

Full Martini glass work?

Hmmm you hafta fill me in on that one (or not). Not sure what you mean.

13 minutes ago, bgytr said:

i have a feeling they would end up with something that draws 18ft - this is 13, and i think we can be pretty sure that minimizing draft  - without lifting or canting - was a request of the client.

so, to make the exercise realistic.., we should ask the geniuses what they would do while still staying within the design constraints

• Like 1

keel.thumb.png.9dd03e3ebf6b91f1cc5e9323105f6f56.png

25 minutes ago, us7070 said:

i have a feeling they would end up with something that draws 18ft - this is 13, and i think we can be pretty sure that minimizing draft  - without lifting or canting - was a request of the client.

so, to make the exercise realistic.., we should ask the geniuses what they would do while still staying within the design constraints

2 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

image.thumb.png.024a7cd6daf84e2a26e4f71e0c1a78e4.png

Ya you might get a bit of extra performance there, a few secs per mile upwind, if you engineered the shit out of it.  I'm guessing that the original rectangle planform is a fabricated shape, which makes the build a hell of a lot easier, and might also have a sump and/or tankage in it.

Just now, bgytr said:

Ya you might get a bit of extra performance there, a few secs per mile upwind, if you engineered the shit out of it.  I'm guessing that the original rectangle planform is a fabricated shape, which makes the build a hell of a lot easier, and might also have a sump and/or tankage in it.

It's all about the kelp. And if saving pennies on the keel for a 20 million dollar yacht is in store, then do this:

image.thumb.png.340e20aabc377c5fcf19effc86ca2581.png

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

the interiors of these new super yachts look interesting but don't look to be designed to be used whilst sailing

They aren't - they're daysailors.

24 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

It's all about the kelp. And if saving pennies on the keel for a 20 million dollar yacht is in store, then do this:

Do they have kelp in the Med?

7 hours ago, McGyver said:

Don't worry, it's not meant to be sailed, but parked at some fancy Mediterranean  port.

Or used as a prop for the next James Bond movie.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Do they have kelp in the Med?

Figure of speech. And boats this size tend to get around....I honestly find it absolutely amazing that nobody notices the problem that torpedo bulb creates. You go from a relatively minor problem of clearing a fouled lobster trot line to having a significantly bigger problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

with interiors built to the preference and approval of the guy writing the check   

• Like 1

Part of the foil issue is the visual bulk of all that overhang. Subtract the bow and stern and compare the keel to the wetted surface and it looks a little more appropriate. It still has a problematic shape, but  as long as the crew does not spill the owners martini backing down off stuff it should be OK. I also suspect the design called for a pretty stiff boat, and the hull itself does not have a lot of inherent stability, hence the big bulb.

25 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I feel for the delivery crews...

26 minutes ago, Liquid said:

I feel for the delivery crews...

Why? Its not suppose to have any crew at all apparently 
It's a custom one off built of wood to owners spec/design .
I  dont think you will see a one design fleet 
Think piece of art rather than 15 knot shit box
Its eco friendly, except they tore down a forest to build it.   
If his wife likes it the guy probably had no problem spending $30m to keep her out of his hair 

SPIRIT 111

Beauty, performance and sustainability

At the request of her overseas buyer, the Spirit 111 has been designed and built in-house by Spirit Yachts to be one of the most environmentally friendly sailing superyachts ever created. The sloop-rigged yacht is also the largest single-masted wooden yacht to be built in the UK since Shamrock V in the 1930s.

Spirit Yachts worked collaboratively with leading marine and automotive suppliers to deliver on the owner’s eco brief.  A Torqeedo electric propulsion system using a 100kW motor will propel the yacht silently for up to 40nm at eight knots from battery power alone.  Whilst sailing, the propulsion system will regenerate the four BMW lithium battery banks by rotating the propeller shaft whilst the yacht is under sail. All power-consuming components have been carefully selected to be highly efficient and will use minimal energy without impacting performance or comfort.

Using electric propulsion to regenerate the batteries whilst sailing, the yacht will be able to operate for up to four days at anchor without having to plug into shore power or start the two onboard generators.  When the yacht crosses the Atlantic, as long as there is adequate wind, she will not need to consume any fossil fuels.

The air conditioning uses variable speeds with eco options via battery or shore power and the galley has been designed with ultimate efficiency in mind.  The fridge and freezer were built with Cryogel insulation to ensure minimal power consumption whilst holding low temperatures.  Water is heated using a Webasto system, which only heats water on demand ensuring no wasted water or energy, and the heated water is stored within high density insulation and high efficiency transfer coils for rapid heat transfer and temperature retention.

The Spirit 111 is also one of few superyachts capable of cruising without professional crew.  Energy efficient Lewmar hydraulic deck hardware and OneSails GBR (East) 4T Forte sails made from recyclable materials will be fitted to a Hall Spar carbon fibre mast and in-boom furling to facilitate short-handed sailing.

The interior of the Spirit 111 was created in partnership with Rhoades Young, which is Spirit Yachts’ first collaboration with an external design agency. Rhoades Young developed the initial concept for a unique, curved interior, which Spirit Yachts’ design team developed and brought to life together in the final plans.

Down below, walls and bulkheads flow in an ‘S’ shape through the interior, which has a natural look and feel thanks to the combination of exposed Sipo, teak and American Walnut timbers on show.  A bespoke, curved American Walnut seating arrangement takes centre stage in the open plan saloon-galley and C-shaped arrangements created from steamed timber curve over the beds in the owner’s and VIP cabins. Discreet doors with hidden, sensor-activated recesses, rather than visible door handles, ensure smooth lines and a contoured look throughout.

The interior lighting is controlled by ambient light sensors and a GPS clock to control the brightness and warmth of light ensuring there is no difference between outside and inside. There will be no pockets of shade and light as you would normally have.

The interior will have almost no light switches; motion sensors will turn lights on and off during the day.  At night, sensors under the beds will detect if someone is up and light the way to the nearest ensuite.  If a guest starts to go elsewhere within the interior, the system will deduce which way they are going and light the relevant areas in a very soft warm light.

With no requirements for crew accommodation, guests have the choice of two double ensuite aft cabins or a starboard side double VIP cabin.  The forward cabin holds the spacious master suite, complete with curved sofas built into the side of the hull, double bed and ensuite.  All heads have rounded, solid timber sinks integrated into the worktop and power showers.

56 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

This one will probably be a motorsailer beating to windward.

15 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

This one will probably be a motorsailer beating to windward.

Which, if it turned out to be, whould be a "failr" relative to the design concept.

That's a slippery hull. The keel is pelnty big to do a good job to windward. There isn't much displacement, and the rig is carbon and efficient. She'll go to windward just fine methinks.

"No crew accommodations"???  Relying on sailing guests to push hoist and trim buttons and for those buttons to always work seems to be just on the edge of pushing the "unintended consequences" button.

• Like 1

Is the keel retractable and in the UP position right now?

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

even if i was rich, i don't know if i'd have a sailboat where i needed someone else to do all the sailing... kind of pointless..  basically it'll be sailed around by a professional crew so some fucktard can have their personal hotel at some event / location...

Using electric propulsion to regenerate the batteries

this makes no sense..

one of the most environmentally friendly

a rich fucktard's mentality on  environmentally friendly

I agree with Left, the forces on a huge sloop rig do not leave much margin for error. I also wonder about maneuvering and docking a 111 foot long 58 ton boat with no professional help. Perhaps they will dingy crew aboard as they approach port?

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

image.thumb.png.340e20aabc377c5fcf19effc86ca2581.png

Ya that shape seems sensible.  Never did like the t bulb for anything other than all out racers.

20 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

"No crew accommodations"???  Relying on sailing guests to push hoist and trim buttons and for those buttons to always work seems to be just on the edge of pushing the "unintended consequences" button.

And the environmental damage caused by all the rainforest clear cutting to supply the teak!

I’m disappointed that this website, which has a stellar record of trashing environmentally wasteful practices , would promote such a project on its pages. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Greta said:

And the environmental damage caused by all the rainforest clear cutting to supply the teak!

I’m disappointed that this website, which has a stellar record of trashing environmentally wasteful practices , would promote such a project on its pages. 

th.jpeg

1 minute ago, Saint Greta said:

only a fucktard think we're promoting this floating hotel..

2 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

only a fucktard think we're promoting this floating hotel..

So why is it on the Front Page?

3 hours ago, Left Shift said:

That's what I wonder about those monsters with hydraulic everything.

What do the man & wife crew do when the hydraulic furler on their 100 footer blows up in a rising wind?

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

even if i was rich, i don't know if i'd have a sailboat where i needed someone else to do all the sailing... kind of pointless..  basically it'll be sailed around by a professional crew so some fucktard can have their personal hotel at some event / location...

this makes no sense..

a rich fucktard's mentality on  environmentally friendly

Like the ones that fly in on their personal jets to attend conferences on climate change.

It would be fascinating to hear their rationalizations.

Some years back I ran across some statistics on Al Gore's energy use. He spent more energy heating the swimming pool at one of his huge houses than my wife & I spent in total on energy.

And his was created from coal or nuke while ours is hydro.

On 2/23/2020 at 8:31 AM, Jules said:

But the interior has yet to be done.  All they have right now are 3D CAD drawings.  I have seen interiors of other Spirits and am usually impressed.  But this?

Spirit-111-Interior-Owners-Cabin-3.thumb.jpg.f89f3d29a1f9e03e9ede260a674ebae8.jpg

So, you've got a bed that can only be used in harbor, yet that bed has no place to put your glass of wine, your paperback book or even your condom wrapper.  

Makes you wonder how the designer spends his/her nights.  Clubbing on ecstasy? 

And why the fuck doesn't that boat have port lights?  Don't want to see the dawn?

On 2/25/2020 at 6:26 AM, jdubes said:

The interior has so many clean lines and no obstructions, I feel bad for any paid crew that will need to pickup all the crap off the cabin floors. 

The Spirit 111 is also one of few superyachts capable of cruising without professional crew. 

With no requirements for crew accommodation,

https://spirityachts.com/sailing-yachts/the-superyacht/spirit-111/

Kind of a throwback, propulsion-wise - sails and a fixed single screw, no thrusters bow/stern (that I can make out)

Maybe this guy is a badass

• Like 1

Spirit have in the past built some lovely boats. For reasons that we're not aware of this one's a fuck up. I'm sure a future owner will be able to sort the mess out with a good yard and a cheque book, it's not terminal.

I did a snippet on this boat back in the Cruising section in December...

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/144942-coolboats-to-admire/&page=125&tab=comments#comment-6831216

I also came into contact last spring with some lovely peeps based in the Hamble that fiercly compete a smaller Spirit in the Panerai Cowes classics... its a jewel of a boat.

The only other builders that come to mind of this type of vessel are I think Hoek and the lovely folk at Dykstra....

https://www.hoekdesign.com/
http://www.dykstra-na.nl/

Beken of Cowes  are the go-to peeps for quality wall art for your beach club lounge...

Untitled-8.thumb.jpg.ae28d02b0551cdf550843ed4347a4536.jpg

900948986_Untitled-1(3).thumb.jpg.9796ac224ce57593d3b313f852c112c6.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bgytr said:

Hmmm you hafta fill me in on that one (or not). Not sure what you mean.

Love full keels, (wasn't Gretel a full hour glass?) with or without cocktail...

Always have been a fan of the Ynglings... Ensigns, 110s and Wylie's take...but need a slip or bouy which no gots

With or without cocktail face on leeward rail, near water...used to be sublime, not so nowadays with plastic flotsam everywhere. 

And why I have built a rather fun rig which is neither...sort of a White/Malibu outrigger combo...swillers win. 

Too, the longer the thing, to more chance to lose it...am an "Ironman." 

20 hours ago, Left Shift said:

So, you've got a bed that can only be used in harbor, yet that bed has no place to put your glass of wine, your paperback book or even your condom wrapper.  

And why the fuck doesn't that boat have port lights?  Don't want to see the dawn?

For that price the bed is probably gimbaled on a gyroscope. 

21 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Interesting. What happens swabs do not sail or poop. Geez, now swabs have to don helmets to avoid head-cracks above and below?

Didn't "Beau Vrolik" have a small spirit yacht in Santa Cruz?

2 hours ago, longy said:

Didn't "Beau Vrolik" have a small spirit yacht in Santa Cruz?

A 46'er.  Sagapo.  My only real complaint with Spirits are that the rig and keel seem to be disproportionately far forward.  But... it seems to work....

As far as the keel and lateral resistance is concerned, I am of the opinion that our eyes are perhaps deceiving us. The boat has so much overhangs on either end that it looks much bigger than she actually is. Try looking at her with boat ends chopped away. I mean LOA = LWL as most modern designs. Then the area of the keel doesn't look out of way.

I do not know the specs. But perhaps the keel has a mechanism to be lowered  as well.  

Steele has said the same thing before me. Saw it afterwards. Sorry for the repetition. 

Geist = Ghost.... Spirit 111 (finished) interior shots released... a master work of wood grain blends.... defo floating artwork....

uhNE6pUBSB2bcrPydvsS_Spirit-111-1-960x540.jpg.9fba811785519389648f3e05cf10ef17.jpg

PxsH8rgmRpq5KpjInmHH_Spirit-111-saloon-28-960x540.jpg.4382688c7782bd887c11cbb90ec2af51.jpg

Spectacular but that wood is too perfect - it looks like wood grain Arborite.

Needs patina. :D Some marks from wet sails being stuffed below and dings from the spinnaker pole being stowed in the main cabin off season should do it.

• Like 1

Wow.  Thats mind blowing.  I'd really need to see it in person to fully grasp this one. 

There is really no point mentioning the practicality of it in a seaway, thats not what this is.

I like it 1000% more than that Frank Gehry designed yacht.

• Like 1

Sorry.

I think it looks like a design for the TWA excelsior lounge from the 1960s.

It's awful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Wow.  Thats mind blowing.  I'd really need to see it in person to fully grasp this one. 

There is really no point mentioning the practicality of it in a seaway, thats not what this is.

I like it 1000% more than that Frank Gehry designed yacht.

^^this

2 hours ago, Matagi said:

Sorry.

I think it looks like a design for the TWA excelsior lounge from the 1960s.

It's awful.

Hey, that was a cool lounge.  :D   So, perhaps this design is retro, inside and out, just different eras.  

I remain "non-plussed."

Seems odd (to me)! 

All gonna be the same? Sail locker must be exquisite!

On 2/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Dilemma.jpg

Wear a mask from the 30s? To be honest, the pic lent itself to lazy jack problem I have been trying to solve, I thimk!

And am keel-sucker...big fan of old rigs, especially now-ancient 22 square metre rigs.

Being the contrarian that I am... those interior shots are not 'actual photos',  they look a lot like computer renderings to me....

• Like 1

The design brief was for it to be sailed without professional crew. Part of the reason that keel looks stubby is that it has a long chord length. It may not be a particularly efficient keel shape, but it will be hard to stall, which should be good for non-professional (read less experienced) sailors.

13 hours ago, BobBill said:

Wear a mask from the 30s? To be honest, the pic lent itself to lazy jack problem I have been trying to solve, I thimk!

And am keel-sucker...big fan of old rigs, especially now-ancient 22 square metre rigs.

we were talking about keels, not rigs..  best pic of a keel i would have

You left off the S111 vid GMD....

Those interior shots are not 'fake news'....

My only crit? The lack of portholes... down below... tis kinda wood art cocoons ville all LED lighting needed.

I once had a sweet gig solo looking after a newish Jenneau 51 (for 4 months or so) penned by Briand, some years back. I made Syracuse/Sicily my home base harbour (on hook) and having a Baroque backdrop of an eve... with perfectly placed lateral windows showing the water glistening with a horozon line made for mesmeric pondering while sat at the saloon table.

Ditto Oyster run seascape saloon windows for the same reason.

Who needs a TV for distraction?

GEIST is a joy to watch slipping along topside however IMO.

As you were

6 hours ago, Marinatrix447 said:

You left off the S111 vid GMD....

Those interior shots are not 'fake news'....

My only crit? The lack of portholes... down below... tis kinda wood art cocoons ville all LED lighting needed.

I once had a sweet gig solo looking after a newish Jenneau 51 (for 4 months or so) penned by Briand, some years back. I made Syracuse/Sicily my home base harbour (on hook) and having a Baroque backdrop of an eve... with perfectly placed lateral windows showing the water glistening with a horozon line made for mesmeric pondering while sat at the saloon table.

Ditto Oyster run seascape saloon windows for the same reason.

Who needs a TV for distraction?

GEIST is a joy to watch slipping along topside however IMO.

As you were

You are right.  I didnt notice that before.  They should have had more natural light below, maybe through sky lights atleast, but port holes would have been a nice touch.

In German, Geist has to meanings: Gespenst (Ghost) or 'Bewusstsein' , something that amounts to 'spirit', or 'sense' (probably meant here, given the boatyard's name).

For German eyes, I must say: it looks quite odd to see such a beautiful boat named 'Geist'. Normally, I'm all for puns, but this one ... nah, doesn't click.

• Like 1

Spirit make some amazing yachts, but it looks like they had an off year.

I guess the owner for what he asked for. Shows that you can't buy class.

• Like 1

Much smaller boat, much better loo. This is how wood and lightning go hand in hand.

WC-2000x2000px.jpg

Spirit makes boats that are just as beautiful on the outside as Sweden boats are on the inside.

WM_SPIRIT_111_SEA_TRIALS_059_DJI_0116.thumb.jpg.c40de3f888496ccd3e603727fb9799d2.jpg