Thought I'd start this to show a little history. Alan Gurney for a beginning point. The Wolverine, a 33 footer, Nepenthe, and WP.

The Wolverine design dates from about 1962. 

Wolv28.jpeg

G33.jpeg

Nepenthe.jpeg

WP:3:69.jpeg

• Like 1

The there is Bill Tripp (the Elder). Here is the old 57' Ondine from 1959, Columbia 50, and Mercer 44.

OndineII.jpeg

Col50:yac_orig.jpg

M44.jpeg

• Like 1

Here are few designs from C&C; the old C&C. 

C&C36R.jpeg

C&C43.jpg

C&C50.jpeg

• Like 1

And here are the 1969 Canada's Cup boats, Manitou and Niagara (from S&). These were published in the design section together, October 1969.Manitou is in the UK; Niagara has disappeared from history, last reported in Florida. These 2 boats were a leap in to the future with racing vs cruising features, but were very heavy vessels.

Manitou1969.jpeg

Niagara1969.jpeg

Scan.jpeg

• Like 1

And here are a couple from Charley Morgan, the 45 and custom 60' Maradea. The 45 is s striking looking boat, it is reported that about 12 were built by Morgan. He is still active, living near the Gulf Coast of Florida. And yes, he once bestowed a "God Bless You, Jeff" upon me as he did for Bob Perry. Although not at all religious, the way he stated it meant something deeper and I went away with a very appreciative feeling.

M45.jpeg

Maradea.jpeg

• Like 1

Very interesting. Thank you. 

Are are a few from Bob Director, Salty Tiger (46'), Slaty Goose (54'), and an earlier boat Figaro IV (50'). All are very original in concept.

ST:Derecktor.jpeg

WG:Derecktor.jpeg

WG:pg2.jpeg

Fig:Derecktor.jpeg

• Like 1

And here is Gary Mull's Improbable, along with the first Dora

Imprbbl1.jpeg

Imprbbl2.jpeg

Imprbbl3.jpeg

• Like 1

Liked the wolverine, small alu...

The site stopped loading up images, so must wait until tomorrow. There are many more of these I have, and thought it would be interesting to post them. Hope there are a few yacht design history buffs out there!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Liked the wolverine, small alu...

Leo, you are in The Netherlands, where there seems to be a lot of interest in aluminum boats! Thanks, enjoy!

If anyone would like more info, feel free to send questions. There is more than a single page on many of these designs.

Over next few weeks will be post many more. The files will be handed off to Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum later this year. They are building up a research library.

• Like 1

other Improbable pages:2

Imprbbl4.jpeg

Imprbbl5.jpeg

And here is the 55' Dora from Mull:

Dora.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crotalus46 said:

other Improbable pages:2

Imprbbl4.jpeg

Imprbbl5.jpeg

Great story of Improbable's design evolution.

And who could forget Gary's, beautiful Chico 30 design?

• Like 1

Somewhere there is a thread on the restoration of Improbable by Haji (Bruce Schwab). I’m sure he would appreciate those pages

A couple of days ago, dug in to the files and scanned a few from German Frers and Scott Kaufmann. Frees produced some really elegant designs under IOR. Just as a historic note, German had a first cousin from Argentina named Ernesto Guevara, better known as Che. Yes, the revolutionary from Cuba.

Frers first:This 39 foster was from the early 1960s, and think it was Frers the elder, flooded by the 46 and 49 footers of the mid 1970s.

Frers:39.jpeg

Frers46.jpeg

Frers49.jpeg

• Like 1

Next is Scott Kaufmann's AJIII, which was a neat boat, saw it is Annapolis many years ago. It has since disappeared from any records.

AJIII.jpeg

Here is a select from Britt Chance. First a 42 footer that he drew up, but was never informed if any were built. Then the famous Equation, at 68'). Britt would seek the most complicated systems for adjusting things; and constantly brought revisions while a boat was being built. In all honesty, I might have been one of the few people that got along with him, and can say that I was not always patient with some people.

Here they are:

Chance42 copy.jpg

Chance:EQ.jpeg

^^
Equation, that mizzen, nice experimental.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I was fortunate to sail on many of these.

Bill Lapworth's Cal 40. These are still potent boats for racing or can be cruised without much change.

An attempt to load the Cal 48 did not work, so will try later. The 48 is a big sister, but not many were built. The Cal 40s production run went to around 200 boats.

Cal40.thumb.jpeg.72512fc9cdd3b36e6cf10d3dcbfe07c8.jpeg

That's a pretty boat. Soon as we figure out why SA won't upload a .jpeg image, will be posting more.

23 minutes ago, Crotalus46 said:

That's a pretty boat. Soon as we figure out why SA won't upload a .jpeg image, will be posting more.

open the image in paint then save as ......

Trying to get some help with this from SA admin. This might take a while....

Great thread but personally very scary.

I still have most of the mag's those came from. :wacko:

Today, it's allowing the upload! Here is a really old one published in 1960. This little vessel became very well known, and fostered a number of sailors and designers.

Enjoy!

1557.jpeg