Pretty cool multi lineup.... an 80' Ultim, 3 MOD70s, Paradox/Shockwave, Fujin, Rapido 60, and the 8-digit $$ built Allegra cat that all but came 1st in the ARC. No Gunboats though -- I guess the era of cruisable boats in this race is over, it's went into the black hole arms race.

Light winds... on one hand the relatively cruisy Shockwave, Rapido, Allegra, and Fujin might suffer due to weight. On the other soma's nav magic may prove more important. 

1 minute ago, Wess said:

Tracker is here:  http://caribbean600.rorc.org/Tracking-Players/2020-fleet-tracking.html

Interesting group of boats.  Don't know that I would call Shockwave cruisy LOL.  AC I think but not much else.

The Ultimate Trimaran Cruiser!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, boardhead said:

The Ultimate Trimaran Cruiser!

If you mean Shockwave, much as I like the boat and people on it... NO.  Not cruising that with the wife even if it was given to me for free.  The really interesting bit for me will be to see how well the Rapido 60 does against Fujin... given we know how well they do against the various GB and similar. 

On that list @EarthBMthe wifey says you gotta get below 1.53 LOL. And I always agree with the wife (we have 5 boats and at one stage had 10 so...)...

1 hour ago, Wess said:

If you mean Shockwave, much as I like the boat and people on it... NO.  Not cruising that with the wife even if it was given to me for free.  The really interesting bit for me will be to see how well the Rapido 60 does against Fujin... given we know how well they do against the various GB and similar. 

I reckon if I was offered Shockwave/Paradox for free I could talk my 67 year young, mom of two, into some sort of cruising!

Those boats do reef you know and then if I was ten years younger ———but certainly agree 60 feet and change is pretty big for two!

• Like 1

Think we are off course here. To each his or her own and do whatever you like.  I am more interested in an interesting race!

all 4 race tris seem to have hit a wall in Barbuda's lee... 1-3kt speeds

this should give the cruisers time to catch up when trade winds pick up in an hour or so

• Like 1

Is the tracker telling porky pies or did Allegra cut the mark?

• Like 1

Looks to be where it should be. It was outsailing its rating before, and looks like ghosting straight on the rhumb line near the island paid off, compared to soma loooking for more wind further west

That Allegra is doing very well for a luxury cruising cat. Very impressive.

Fujin has some catching up to do.

In the $$$/speed/comfort trade off Allegra seems to have gone big for the latter two

Fujin does not go well in the 'super light'.

I'm surprised to see her behind the Rapido 60 but trimarans do seem to manage the light conditions better than cats?

Also the foils are obviously not doing their thing and become 'draggy'.

At St Barths in 2017, what turned out to be the final race was very light and we actually beat Fujin on the water by 40mins in a 4hr race.

Under 5kts and they just seem to shut down.

But hey, wish we were out there tonight...one day!

Man, Allegra is really impressing me. As the breeze comes up and we start reaching a bit more hopefully we can leg out on her. 

28 minutes ago, Wess said:

Rapido is miles and miles behind Fujin and the rest of the fleet at this stage.  Pretty surprised.

if it is the same owner and the program isn't too different from stuff like Heineken last year, I'm surprised they're still ahead of the 40-footers...

7 minutes ago, lostmydetailsagain said:

if it is the same owner and the program isn't too different from stuff like Heineken last year, I'm surprised they're still ahead of the 40-footers...

Don't know them but if its a Corinthian crew my hat is off to them.  They are down there doing that and having fun.  And judging from the play back they did very very well vs Fujin until they either broke something or got stuck in the lee St. Kitts whereas Fujin escaped (just barely but it was a critical escape).  I don't think the Rapido has broken anything as the various monohulls around them seem to be similarly "stuck."  I would say they have done pretty well on the both the upwind and downwind legs until Kitty snagged them and didn't let go.

• Like 1

I noticed the Polish VO70 who were leading Wizard last night also appear to have gotten stuck and not escape...I'm not entirely sure who is on what boat either but there are some pro teams right in line with the Rapido and they are at or faster than VO65's and VO70's on this reach, with a full cruising interior, so to bash the team seems a little premature at this point...curious how they go upwind to St. Barths, Fujin looks to be on a similar angle to Allegra, but 9.8kts vs. 10.5kts to Allegra...expected on this point of sail I would think as waterline is still king upwind in a blow and sea state!

@Wess and @samc99us

First and foremost, they (the Rapido60 "Ineffable") are out there and I am not so they have beaten me already. And as such my post was not supposed to be negative with regards to the crew or the boat. However, my experience with them is (or should I say was) that they aren't the most experienced and have not fully gotten to grips with the boat.

I believe the boat and team have got significant potential but in the light (which is much harder, in my opinion) and with limited time racing so far, I expected bigger losses in the lee of St Kitts. 

So 1) poor use of language at my end and 2) they are outperforming my expectations. Therefore, my apologies and good on 'em! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lostmydetailsagain said:

@Wess and @samc99us

First and foremost, they (the Rapido60 "Ineffable") are out there and I am not so they have beaten me already. And as such my post was not supposed to be negative with regards to the crew or the boat. However, my experience with them is (or should I say was) that they aren't the most experienced and have not fully gotten to grips with the boat.

I believe the boat and team have got significant potential but in the light (which is much harder, in my opinion) and with limited time racing so far, I expected bigger losses in the lee of St Kitts. 

So 1) poor use of language at my end and 2) they are outperforming my expectations. Therefore, my apologies and good on 'em! 

No apologies needed. They are there and we are all here (sadly) as you note LOL.  They already won!!

Interesting to watch the Argo vs Powerplay battles (also largely played out in the various lees).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lostmydetailsagain said:

@Wess and @samc99us

That was a gracious clarification of your earlier post. Good on you.

• Like 3

Come on multihull forum!!

wheres the passion?

no reply for 19 hrs with Argo and Powerplay slugging it out at the front separated by boat lengths...Allegra still sniffing at the heels of Shockwave, Fujin not far behind.

Cammas and Peyron must be loving it, along with the owners and crews.

It looks set to be a grandstand finish with about 40 miles to go.

• Like 3

Not so great for foilers apparently!

Why is Powerplay giving Argo time,thought they were level.That battle almost looks fake knowing the record is out the window from the gun,3 days of match racing.

Powerplay have Argo by the balls now 10miles to go.Is this the old blue Consise?

1 hour ago, racinginparadise said:

Come on multihull forum!!

wheres the passion?

no reply for 19 hrs with Argo and Powerplay slugging it out at the front separated by boat lengths...Allegra still sniffing at the heels of Shockwave, Fujin not far behind.

Because it is utterly irrelevant to anyone who can't afford multimillion dollar toys.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

Because it is utterly irrelevant to anyone who can't afford multimillion dollar toys.

Yup that in itself has killed racing in the islands.You need to show up with a 3 million lump of carbon and a pro crew or forget it.Gone are the glory days of Antigua Tobago PSV witsun week St Vincent of the 70-80,big fleets "nuff nuff" fun and rum

• Like 1

And alas ,the “Live coverage” does not even cover the finish of the multis ....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Tug said:

Yup that in itself has killed racing in the islands.You need to show up with a 3 million lump of carbon and a pro crew or forget it.Gone are the glory days of Antigua Tobago PSV witsun week St Vincent of the 70-80,big fleets "nuff nuff" fun and rum

Huh?  I don't understand your or @ProaSailor comments.  Have you seen this thread?  The ultimate DIY and they are hardly the type you describe.

Why does the participation of an expensive big boat stop anyone else from participating @The Tug? Is it really about the "fun and rum" as you say or about line honors and trophies?  because if its really rum and fun there is nothing stopping you but you, no?

I don't own a multimillion dollar toy but still find the race interesting and relevant.  Speaking of which back to it...  Some interesting results already and still more to come in both the multi and monohull fleets.

• Like 2

Giddy’up!!! Arriba arriba, ondele!!

i love this shit!

4 minutes ago, soma said:

Giddy’up!!! Arriba arriba, ondele!!

i love this shit!

You should have been saying that in the wee hours trapped in the lee LOL.  But yea, get around the corner already and go stretch those legs on the reach home...

I wouldn't call it irrelevant, but I agree with Proa. There really aren't any underdogs to root for, just Fujin, and that't only because it's cool as hell and my buddy designed it. I did this race back when it was called the Tradewinds race (it was 800 miles back then) in a boat that cost less than $1,000 and we kicked ass on the long leg. I miss races like the OSTAR, where the underdog could pull out a surprise win, or do better than anyone thought.

• Like 4

Russ, was that old tradewinds race you did on the little cat called SCRAP? Or was that the proa from Gold Coast? I remember seeing photos of a tiny cat with what looked like two Hobie 16 rigs on it maybe 24' LOA. 

Agree with Russell, nobody to root for or against, and watching dots move on the screen hasn't been fun since late last century.  It would be interesting to find out $/performance and relative merits of paid crew(s).

44 minutes ago, MultiThom said:

It would be interesting to find out $/performance and relative merits of paid crew(s).

^^^^ that!

forget about ratings, put a $$$ budget limit, the first over the line on $1m spend wins. Then you’ll see real innovation.

The Race was kind of like this (With unlimited budget). R2AK was kind of like this when anyone could buy the winning boat for a fixed amount.

Wondering if Fujin broke something or is hanging it up? Course suggests one or the other.

59 minutes ago, EarthBM said:

^^^^ that!

forget about ratings, put a $$$ budget limit, the first over the line on $1m spend wins. Then you’ll see real innovation.

The Race was kind of like this (With unlimited budget). R2AK was kind of like this when anyone could buy the winning boat for a fixed amount.

Time to turn the c600 into a Claiming Race?

41 minutes ago, Wess said:

Wondering if Fujin broke something or is hanging it up? Course suggests one or the other.

Nevermind.  Geeze that was a private Idaho hole if they weren't dealing with some sail damage.  Snakes and ladders.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

Time to turn the c600 into a Claiming Race?

exactly! Won't happen with C600 of course because of the golden rule, but this is what can make races more exciting in general. Or apply it to new sails, foils for similar one-design type boats.

Fujin is behind because soma's not on it  

• Like 2

Don’t call it a comeback! We’re on the march! Some squalls up this leg forcing us up/down, but we are fast fast fast! Top speed in the last hour is 33 knots. Approximate eta of midnight. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wess said:

Huh?  I don't understand your or @ProaSailor comments.  Have you seen this thread?  The ultimate DIY and they are hardly the type you describe.

Why does the participation of an expensive big boat stop anyone else from participating @The Tug? Is it really about the "fun and rum" as you say or about line honors and trophies?  because if its really rum and fun there is nothing stopping you but you, no?

I don't own a multimillion dollar toy but still find the race interesting and relevant.  Speaking of which back to it...  Some interesting results already and still more to come in both the multi and monohull fleets.

You need to win in order to celebrate with a bottle of rum,that you are not going to do against multi million dollar canting keeled carbon boats sailed by pro sailors.The last gang were the boys from Trinidad in a Kerr called Dingo who won class in Antigua maybe 2yrs ago,they tossed in the towel.The only regatta left of those mentioned is Antigua which was consider'd a competitive event but low on the fun list.Every regatta in the southern islands is now dead caput finito with the exception of Grenada which has a low turnout.I live here and have raced them all won plenty and drank a barrel of rum.

14 hours ago, The Tug said:

You need to win in order to celebrate with a bottle of rum,that you are not going to do against multi million dollar canting keeled carbon boats sailed by pro sailors.The last gang were the boys from Trinidad in a Kerr called Dingo who won class in Antigua maybe 2yrs ago,they tossed in the towel.The only regatta left of those mentioned is Antigua which was consider'd a competitive event but low on the fun list.Every regatta in the southern islands is now dead caput finito with the exception of Grenada which has a low turnout.I live here and have raced them all won plenty and drank a barrel of rum.

Mr. Tug, you paint a very bleak picture. In the monohull world you have a point. Having raced the Caribbean circuit for the last 25 years I've seen how 'older but sporty' monos with symmetrical kites have become 'also rans' against modern assym monos. I can't think when a displacement dead downwinder last won a big prize in a modern fleet. In the multihull world it is different.

Look at 'Tryst' at 50yrs old, she just won her class in the Caribbean Multihull Challenge'. 

We went to St Barths in 2016 in then 37yr old 'Triple Jack' and won every race against a MOD 70 and a top Gunboat and Fujin. We had new sails, great conditions and a lot of determination. We certainly enjoyed the rum!

Right now in the BVI's the IC24 class has gone (sad because I built them all) but it's been replaced by a bunch of sport multihulls. 2 are new but 4 are old Corsairs. All owners are having a blast without spending a fortune. I see only a very bright future for Corinthian multihull teams here in the Caribbean, there is nothing stopping them taking trophies against the big money teams. And when they do there's nothing but respect from those teams. It helps having the CSA multihull rating formula being intelligently managed.

So, don't despair, just find a cheap old multi, fix it up and make it lighter and join the fun!

• Like 9

11 hours ago, racinginparadise said:

So, don't despair, just find a cheap old multi, fix it up and make it lighter and join the fun!

I know of an old F40 that needs some attention...

• Like 1

For those who don’t know there has been a healthy Triple Jack vs Soma rivalry going on for many years. So tight I’m not even sure who was on top before Irma! We have a sportsman’s bet going now to see who makes it back to a start line first. Soma needs way less work than TJ so interested parties, you know who to speak to.

it would be great to see Soma return to the Caribbean racing scene!

• Like 4

At 57 seconds into this video (Wrap Film | RORC Caribbean 600), Fujin takes a flying leap off a wave.

Fujin57a.thumb.jpg.db064fe2fae2b02ae54c102765a55470.jpg

Fujin57b.thumb.jpg.fd62ce1e2507d53cd82492f806f5f56e.jpg

At 8:46:

Fujin8_46a.thumb.jpg.12f340c9a3a3c13403f642868a0f1214.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty cool vid that. Interesting to see GB 6801 condor at anchor near the end