Sign in to follow this  
PIL66 - XL2

No Rorc Caribbean 600 thread..?

it wouldn’t be a SA race forum without some sort of BS results prediction so I may as well start it off.

multi line honours: Argo, powerplay, Maserati 

mono line honours: prospector, Wizard, Outsider

Mocra: shockwave, Argo, powerplay

irc: Outsider, Teasing machine, prospector, Albator

1 hour ago, JL92S said:

it wouldn’t be a SA race forum without some sort of BS results prediction so I may as well start it off.

multi line honours: Argo, powerplay, Maserati 

mono line honours: prospector, Wizard, Outsider

Mocra: shockwave, Argo, powerplay

irc: Outsider, Teasing machine, prospector, Albator

Mono =  Triple Lindy or the Tp

Privateer Retired according the Tracker.! A bit light for the Volvo 70's ATM too. Prospector leading the mono's and Argo and Powerplay smoking Maserati

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Privateer Retired according the Tracker.! A bit light for the Volvo 70's ATM too. Prospector leading the mono's and Argo and Powerplay smoking Maserati

dont tell you know who ... :lol:

Privateer hit an uncharted rock..! Instruments showing 20 feet of water and bang. They broke the rudder clean off. That's a real bummer. I would love to know what chart plotter they were using? 

23 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I would love to know what chart plotter they were using? 

then we would know what not to use.

Prospector leading the monos. Got parked up but has now punched through while a lot of them still parked. TP52 doing very well ahead of the Volvo70's. All 3 tri's racing boat for boat at the head of the fleet.

If it stays light until the bigger boats finish I'd put money on Jangada the JPK 1010 placing well

So there is no "production cats" (like outremers or TS) in the Mocra class this year ?

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

So there is no "production cats" (like outremers or TS) in the Mocra class this year ?

Minimum MOCRA rating to enter is 1.200, how would a standard Outremer or TS rate? Looking at the MOCRA website I can't see any of either make with a current rating.

Looks very painful and frustrating in the lee of the islands  ... for some.

2 hours ago, SteveJH said:

Minimum MOCRA rating to enter is 1.200, how would a standard Outremer or TS rate? Looking at the MOCRA website I can't see any of either make with a current rating.

But last year, the TS42 Guyader won in Mocra, no ?

Jangada still stuck in the lee of the island, if only they could have escaped along with the the irc 1 and 2 crowd they’d be laughing by now but still stock doing 1.2kts, On a long hot offshore race it would be enough to drive someone insane!

33 minutes ago, JL92S said:

...stock doing 1.2kts, On a long hot offshore race it would be enough to drive someone insane!

Those of us luxuriating in the office will now take a minute of silence in sympathy for those currently suffering the vicissitudes of Caribbean sailing.

We thank our abundant good fortune to not be  experiencing such hardship.

Blessed are the few, the brave, the noble, that sail the cruel Caribbean so we can tarry behind, relishing the luxury of cube land.

You are a better man than me Gunga Din

• Like 5

Pip Hare is apparently doing the race... For the fifth time... 

Wizard come to a stop facing the wrong way on the Tracker Zero knots?

What is the deal with Powerplay handing time to the other Mod 70's,thought Argos and her were level and the Italians paying for the foils.

Wizard now gaining on Prospector which makes sense . Volvo 70 canter vs 68 fixed keel. Argo just ahead of Powerplay with Maserati separated further back. Still enough miles and tricky conditions to go though

Meanwhile the "little" TP52 keeps sliding along.  

The guy narrating the start called them out as his favorite to win it all.  Seems like he knew something.

Wizard on a perfect angle overtaking

Grace O'mally overtakes Triple Lindy

Maserati goes the wrong side of Marie - Galante and loses big time

Question... I've not been there in many years but..........Why don't they give the lee of Guadeloupe a very wide birth....?

PS.. Allegra is one impressive cruising multi

36 minutes ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

Wizard on a perfect angle overtaking

Maserati goes the wrong side of Marie - Galante and loses big time

Question... I've not been there in many years but..........Why don't they give the lee of Guadeloupe a very wide birth....?

PS.. Allegra is one impressive cruising multi

Maybe it's because you have to go waaaaaay wide or hug the shore and try to pick up downdrafts coming off the mountain.  Short and slow is deemed better than looooong and faster and ending up miles downwind.

• Like 2

Wizard smoking Prospector now, going 3 knots faster. Maserati definitely stuffed up. Argo and PP having a battle royale lead changing all the time. The TP52 is on fire. Interesting as it seems this team had an Elliot 52 Canter and recently changed to a JV TP52. They don't mention this on their FB page?

Wizard smoking Prospector now, going 3 knots faster. Maserati definitely stuffed up. Argo and PP having a battle royale lead changing all the time. The TP52 is on fire. Interesting as it seems this team had an Elliot 52 Canter and recently changed to a JV TP52. They don't mention this on their FB page?

I believe they still have the 52SS, but got the 52 (ex-Platoon I believe) just before the 2018 IRC/ORC Worlds in The Hague. 

• Like 1

These multihull guys out front have been banging on each other for three days,it's almost to a point where they look like they might be putting on a show knowing the record is out of reach from the start. 

On 2/25/2020 at 3:32 AM, terrafirma said:

Privateer hit an uncharted rock..! Instruments showing 20 feet of water and bang. They broke the rudder clean off. That's a real bummer. I would love to know what chart plotter they were using? 

If it was truly an uncharted rock, it doesn't matter what plotter they were using.

Howeger, if it's a charted (i.e. known about) rock that wasn't shown on screen, then yeah it's a different question (although I suspect the charts comapny would be the bigger aspect)

It's probably one of those quantum rocks.  The kind where as soon as you try to measure it, you can't tell where it is.

Wizard 50 miles ahead of Prospector now. That's a massive turnaround from being 10-15 miles behind Prospector. Without knowing the weather forecast Wizard could easily win IRC overall if the smaller boats are slowed in the run to the finish. The guys on Wizard making a habit of great results proving the Volvo 70's are well worth a look in terms of bang for buck with Ocean racing in mind. If wizard doesn't win overall it could well be the German TP52 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, JL92S said:

I predict someone will start bagging Whitty or Richo.

20 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

So that's why they sold the Cookie 40 to upgrade to the 50. I will guess that as they are in IRC 0 it must be a canter.

Bought in the US?

13 hours ago, DFL1010 said:

If it was truly an uncharted rock, it doesn't matter what plotter they were using.

Howeger, if it's a charted (i.e. known about) rock that wasn't shown on screen, then yeah it's a different question (although I suspect the charts comapny would be the bigger aspect)

The tracker shows them ploughing over the top of the rocky shelf east of Exchange Bay.

They were the only boat to go that far in.

Headed home soon after.

4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Wizard 50 miles ahead of Prospector now. That's a massive turnaround from being 10-15 miles behind Prospector. Without knowing the weather forecast Wizard could easily win IRC overall if the smaller boats are slowed in the run to the finish. The guys on Wizard making a habit of great results proving the Volvo 70's are well worth a look in terms of bang for buck with Ocean racing in mind. If wizard doesn't win overall it could well be the German TP52 

Outsider had better scoot over those last 50 miles to save their 1,1,1,1 placing over Wizard.

Windy says the fading breeze is going to hang the small boats out to dry.

Whose sailing the Volvo 70 Telefonica Black? They are so far back & with the 40 footers etc? 

10 hours ago, Left Shift said:

It's probably one of those quantum rocks.  The kind where as soon as you try to measure it, you can't tell where it is.

Also known as a Heisenberg rock?

Whose sailing the Volvo 70 Telefonica Black? They are so far back & with the 40 footers etc? 

It’s a charter being lead by some people who once did a Clipper I believe

9 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Also known as a Heisenberg rock?

I can roughly point to the general location and/or the approximate depth of a couple around here.  

I can also give you a pretty good sample of what they are made of.  

There is a rock just off the Shirley Heights on Antigua just after the start line that has been hit more times that deserved. If you take the pin end of the start and take it right in under the bluff where the wind lifts and you are mostly out of the current you can make some nice gains when you finally tack over, hopefully crossing the fleet still on Stbd tack. UNLESS you hit the rock! I was flying into Antigua from St John (USVI not St Johns which is the Antigua capital) to join a nice Skye 51 that I had raced with first during BVI Spring Regatta. We had done well there and the couple that ran the boat was great and had the owners joining Race Week in Antigua who would be hosting a few of us from the BVI race success.  Airfare and expenses for Race Week! Who could say no?

I found myself sitting next to one of the Tortola local rock pilot racers as we boarded the plane in St Thomas and he asked me which boat I would be joining for Race Week and I told him I would once again be racing on KINDERSPIEL (German for 'childs play') the Skye. He raised his eyes and said, "Oh! Haven't you heard?" 

I said I had no idea what he was referring to and he said the word from Antigua was that KINDERSPIEL had been practising starts the day before and hit the rock which is the star of my story. He said the buzz was that they had smacked it pretty good and were taking on water and they immediately got hauled at the nearby TravelLift. The coconut telegraph made it pretty clear that the hull/keel joint was compromised and the boat would not be racing that year. 

I might have deboarded the plane if we were still at the gate but figured I could still maybe be a pier head jumper and get on another boat. First thing was to go have a look myself at the damage and there was a pretty good ding in the leading edge of the ballast and water was still dribbling out of the 'smile' at the back of the keel root. Skipper said I was welcome to bunk on board that night but the owners were not really in the mood to being bed and breakfast for the rest of the regatta. Moral on board the boat was not helped by some pranksters in here class who renamed the boat with electrical tape the night before from KINDERSPIEL to

SPLITHERKEEL. 

To make things worse, the pinnacle on which the boat had come to grief was now known as SPLIT HER KEEL Rock at least until the next boat claimed the naming rights.

On the positive side of the situation, as I walked dejectedly out of the boat yard after seeing the damaged boat I bumped into Carlo Falcone who asked who I was racing with that year. I glumly pointed over my shoulder and he winced and said, "Let's get you a drink!" and when we got to the bar where his crew was 'tuning up' he asked if I wanted to join them for Race Week! No hesitation on my part to join up but I don't think I ever raced on a boat where you just had to get your shit together.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

There is a rock just off the Shirley Heights on Antigua just after the start line that has been hit more times that deserved.

i didn't look this year, but when i did the race a few years ago, that rock was one of two specifically mentioned in the SI's

10 minutes ago, us7070 said:

i didn't look this year, but when i did the race a few years ago, that rock was one of two specifically mentioned in the SI's

Did they still call it SPLITHERKEEL Rock?