eiasu

Android app to track and record boat speed

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I've just bought an old class A catamaran, I'm having a lot of fun and learning how to handle it.

I was wondering if there is an app for my Android smartphone that could record the path and the boat speed.

I'm using Strava that is mainly for runners, is out there any app more specific for sailing?

Thank you very much,

enjoy sailing

Eiasu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iregatta,  sailracergps , sailracer.net 

also, you could look for some bicycle gps apps  if you're only interested in speed..

there's an ongoing thread on sailracergps  right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raceqs is good if you can mount the phone flat, give heel angles and a nice replay. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much guys, I'll try them and will figure out the more suitable for my needs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

iregatta,  sailracergps , sailracer.net 

also, you could look for some bicycle gps apps  if you're only interested in speed..

there's an ongoing thread on sailracergps  right now

that should have been  sailfreegps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RaceQs will give you some pretty good performance detail aside from normal tracking when you replay your tracks on their web interface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that should have been  sailfreegps

Ok thanx, that's why i couldn't find it, actually it looks pretty cool. I've also to find out which app is using less battery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OldmateFred said:

How about some reviews as you try them out :)

Sure ✌️✌️✌️

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used opengpstracker. You can edit settings to increase the track points.

Also have an app on windows 10 that edits the track file so I can remove the 'ends' , ie getting to the start and getting from the finish.

With raceqs I could never get it to work, maybe it was the early days but ended up not bothering.

They are all going to use GPS objects which will use up battery more, consider getting a backpack power source to strap to the phone. Turn off the display while in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To do it properly you probably need to use a Garmin device where you can see video with speed shown on the screen.

But that requires buying stuff.

For my tracks I use a Sony Tipo in a bag.

I don't think a phone is going to be of use on deck as the light isn't good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I'm back sailing after the lockdown.

i tried raceqs but i couldnt recall the track, it only shows distance and max speed.

i would like to see the path and the boat speed in every point.

During sailing, I'm solo and i don't manage to pay any attention to the mobile, neither look nor touch it in any way. I just start tracking when going in water and stop it when I'm back on the beach.

Maybe it's me that i didn't find the option, but raceqs doesn't show me the detailed track sailed.

Is there any app that can do this?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, eiasu said:

Hi all,

I'm back sailing after the lockdown.

i tried raceqs but i couldnt recall the track, it only shows distance and max speed.

i would like to see the path and the boat speed in every point.

During sailing, I'm solo and i don't manage to pay any attention to the mobile, neither look nor touch it in any way. I just start tracking when going in water and stop it when I'm back on the beach.

Maybe it's me that i didn't find the option, but raceqs doesn't show me the detailed track sailed.

Is there any app that can do this?

Thanks

RaceQs is what you need. It's entirely possible to get all the information that you want, SOG, VMG, heel and drift if you replay your recorded track in a browser afterwards. You need to click the small speedometer in the lower left corner, when replaying your recorded track and a hover-menu will appear with the above mentioned recorded values, which you can then choose to be displayed. For more information, have a look through this: https://raceqs.com/race-analytics/

I find Keep Sailing better as an overall cruising log, but RaceQs are better for racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 9:26 AM, Misbehavin' said:

RaceQs is what you need. It's entirely possible to get all the information that you want, SOG, VMG, heel and drift if you replay your recorded track in a browser afterwards. You need to click the small speedometer in the lower left corner, when replaying your recorded track and a hover-menu will appear with the above mentioned recorded values, which you can then choose to be displayed. For more information, have a look through this: https://raceqs.com/race-analytics/

I find Keep Sailing better as an overall cruising log, but RaceQs are better for racing.

Finally i managed, thank you very much.
The kew sentence is " if you replay your recorded track in a browser ", i was trying to replay directely from the app ;)

ok that's it, looks like a great app, i will use it!
bye

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, eiasu said:

Finally i managed, thank you very much.
The kew sentence is " if you replay your recorded track in a browser ", i was trying to replay directely from the app ;)

ok that's it, looks like a great app, i will use it!
bye

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that you've got a hang of it :-)


By the way, if you don't know, you can share your recorded tracks for other to replay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great app, Raceqs i love it, simple and clear.
One question, when i watch the 3d replay on the browser, i would like to see the speed all the time, but it appear and disappear, is it possible to keep it visible all the time?
 

thank you

 

My first sail:
https://raceqs.com/tv-beta/tv.htm#userId=1164115&updatedAt=2020-06-14T15:15:21Z&dt=2020-06-14T13:50:09+02:00..2020-06-14T17:13:22+02:00&boat=Cenerentola&time=1592137483848&focus=Cenerentola&tab=fleet&view=auto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It shows here all the time,  what browser are you using?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

It shows here all the time,  what browser are you using?

Windows 10 

Google Chrome 
Versione 83.0.4103.106 (Build ufficiale) (a 64 bit)
The speed id shown only when i select the view AUTO (cycle view) it appears once in a while, then the view changes and the SOG disappear, and after it is shown again, cycling

Another question i would like to modify wind direction, it is always 360°, it is customizable?
Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you start off by beating upwind RaceQs should calculate the wind direction and display it (somewhat) correctly.

It is possible to enter it directly but I think you need to set up a racecourse (put in some marks) first. I like RaceQs a lot and use it frequently, but it is pretty much purpose-built for sailboat racing, not general tracking.

In the replay mode in a browser, click on the > symbol on the left and the menus for regatta setup will slide out. It will probably offer you some tutorials first, which are worth watching and explain how to use the panes on that menu.

Incidentally, I don't think it used to be possible to run the replay in a browser on a mobile device but now you can.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

If you start off by beating upwind RaceQs should calculate the wind direction and display it (somewhat) correctly.

It is possible to enter it directly but I think you need to set up a racecourse (put in some marks) first. I like RaceQs a lot and use it frequently, but it is pretty much purpose-built for sailboat racing, not general tracking.

In the replay mode in a browser, click on the > symbol on the left and the menus for regatta setup will slide out. It will probably offer you some tutorials first, which are worth watching and explain how to use the panes on that menu.

Incidentally, I don't think it used to be possible to run the replay in a browser on a mobile device but now you can.

Thanks,

i added a regatta marks and then i could setup which info i want to be displayed, now i have SOG and can also modify wind direction, if needed. Thank you

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now