eiasu

Android app to track and record boat speed

Hi all,

I've just bought an old class A catamaran, I'm having a lot of fun and learning how to handle it.

I was wondering if there is an app for my Android smartphone that could record the path and the boat speed.

I'm using Strava that is mainly for runners, is out there any app more specific for sailing?

Thank you very much,

enjoy sailing

Eiasu

iregatta,  sailracergps , sailracer.net 

also, you could look for some bicycle gps apps  if you're only interested in speed..

there's an ongoing thread on sailracergps  right now

Raceqs is good if you can mount the phone flat, give heel angles and a nice replay. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys, I'll try them and will figure out the more suitable for my needs!

22 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

iregatta,  sailracergps , sailracer.net 

also, you could look for some bicycle gps apps  if you're only interested in speed..

there's an ongoing thread on sailracergps  right now

that should have been  sailfreegps

RaceQs will give you some pretty good performance detail aside from normal tracking when you replay your tracks on their web interface.

5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

that should have been  sailfreegps

Ok thanx, that's why i couldn't find it, actually it looks pretty cool. I've also to find out which app is using less battery

4 hours ago, OldmateFred said:

How about some reviews as you try them out :)

Sure ✌️✌️✌️

• Like 2

I've used opengpstracker. You can edit settings to increase the track points.

Also have an app on windows 10 that edits the track file so I can remove the 'ends' , ie getting to the start and getting from the finish.

With raceqs I could never get it to work, maybe it was the early days but ended up not bothering.

They are all going to use GPS objects which will use up battery more, consider getting a backpack power source to strap to the phone. Turn off the display while in use.

To do it properly you probably need to use a Garmin device where you can see video with speed shown on the screen.

But that requires buying stuff.

For my tracks I use a Sony Tipo in a bag.

I don't think a phone is going to be of use on deck as the light isn't good enough.

Hi all,

I'm back sailing after the lockdown.

i tried raceqs but i couldnt recall the track, it only shows distance and max speed.

i would like to see the path and the boat speed in every point.

During sailing, I'm solo and i don't manage to pay any attention to the mobile, neither look nor touch it in any way. I just start tracking when going in water and stop it when I'm back on the beach.

Maybe it's me that i didn't find the option, but raceqs doesn't show me the detailed track sailed.

Is there any app that can do this?

Thanks

59 minutes ago, eiasu said:

Hi all,

I'm back sailing after the lockdown.

i tried raceqs but i couldnt recall the track, it only shows distance and max speed.

i would like to see the path and the boat speed in every point.

During sailing, I'm solo and i don't manage to pay any attention to the mobile, neither look nor touch it in any way. I just start tracking when going in water and stop it when I'm back on the beach.

Maybe it's me that i didn't find the option, but raceqs doesn't show me the detailed track sailed.

Is there any app that can do this?

Thanks

RaceQs is what you need. It's entirely possible to get all the information that you want, SOG, VMG, heel and drift if you replay your recorded track in a browser afterwards. You need to click the small speedometer in the lower left corner, when replaying your recorded track and a hover-menu will appear with the above mentioned recorded values, which you can then choose to be displayed. For more information, have a look through this: https://raceqs.com/race-analytics/

I find Keep Sailing better as an overall cruising log, but RaceQs are better for racing.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:26 AM, Misbehavin' said:

RaceQs is what you need. It's entirely possible to get all the information that you want, SOG, VMG, heel and drift if you replay your recorded track in a browser afterwards. You need to click the small speedometer in the lower left corner, when replaying your recorded track and a hover-menu will appear with the above mentioned recorded values, which you can then choose to be displayed. For more information, have a look through this: https://raceqs.com/race-analytics/

I find Keep Sailing better as an overall cruising log, but RaceQs are better for racing.

Finally i managed, thank you very much.
The kew sentence is " if you replay your recorded track in a browser ", i was trying to replay directely from the app ;)

ok that's it, looks like a great app, i will use it!
bye

• Like 1

15 hours ago, eiasu said:

Finally i managed, thank you very much.
The kew sentence is " if you replay your recorded track in a browser ", i was trying to replay directely from the app ;)

ok that's it, looks like a great app, i will use it!
bye

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that you've got a hang of it :-)

By the way, if you don't know, you can share your recorded tracks for other to replay.