Not for nothing

Warning to all my fellow sailors! SELL

In 2006 Ludlow said we're in a goldilocks economy , and then !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today: Trumps $$$$$ guy; Larry Kudlow says US has contained the coronavirus and the economy is holding up nicely as the market down another 800 pts 

warning signs : Inverted curve, Repro , QE, Feds printing $$$$$$$$$$$$ fake record highs on the market, 

Just my thought for the day! I sold monday morning as I did in 2006. 

May not be so valid when rogue capital exceeds working capital already.  How much applied energy can gold really absorb?  Is there really a place for capital to go?

2 minutes ago, Laker said:

May not be so valid when rogue capital exceeds working capital already.  How much applied energy can gold really absorb?  Is there really a place for capital to go?

It depends on how much money the hedge funds created (via securitized debt) on the way up. If they start having to pay back security backed funds capital disappears.

Just now, Raz'r said:

It depends on how much money the hedge funds created (via securitized debt) on the way up. If they start having to pay back security backed funds capital disappears.

This will be interesting.  I don't think there will be a free fall, because of so much capital held in things like gold.  It will be more the cat scratching at the wall on its way down.  Recovery will depend more on a social intervention, ala New Deal, than anything the Fed can do or especially Trumpian economics.  I am betting on the social intervention.  

4 hours ago, garuda3 said:

Trying to time the market is a mugs game.

Trump says this is a buying opportunity. So there is that.

I’m holding on in oil, booze and tech. But not bcuz of the financial genius of Trump. 

15 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

as a boomer playing the market game is too stressful, I did sell about a year ago then got back in alittle in sept. for reasons I'd rather be in a fixed income,

Yes timing the market , doesn't work , Watch a movie "the Hummingbird Project, " These funds/banks/ brokerage houses  are dealing in 10's of microseconds , 

also the old adage buy low sell high , How many record highs before the bubble pops? remember you only make money when you sell the rest is just jagged lines on the computer screen

13 hours ago, garuda3 said:
13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

as a boomer playing the market game is too stressful, I did sell about a year ago then got back in alittle in sept. for reasons I'd rather be in a fixed income,

Yes timing the market , doesn't work , Watch a movie "the Hummingbird Project, " These funds/banks/ brokerage houses  are dealing in 10's of microseconds , 

also the old adage buy low sell high , How many record highs before the bubble pops? remember you only make money when you sell the rest is just jagged lines on the computer screen

post-30927-0-23007500-1393640202_thumb.jpg

Entirely too much of the finance world is run on this basis.

- DSK

Market down over 10% , didn't some time traveller tell everone to sell, I guess some did!

On 2/25/2020 at 3:51 PM, Laker said:

I like silver usa coins common date

every one knows what they are so they hold value

so eazy to trade for a can of soup

something gold is way too high value to do and soup trading maybe a coming thing soon

but maybe better to invest directly in cans of soup

Surgical mask futures...  The next ball bearings.....

If you have been doing your homework all along now is the time to hold.  Selling at a loss doesn't make you any money.

This is fear driven.  Take all the reported cases in any one country (including China) and compare it to population.

Then compare it to common flu cases in the US

From https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1). The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness6.

The virus is the " black swan " The real problem is the debt that the government and individuals have, I just read that car loans have hit  1 trillion dollars of closurers ?                 Some of the other problems is the low interest rates, the inverted curve , the REPRO borrowing to meet the daily borrowing, the Feds and big 6 banks keep printing money,       A fake economy based on debt. The fake stock market was hitting new highs ( bubble).                           All so Trump will get relected, The matter is once he gets reelected will he care about the economy or the stock market NOT, OR if the Dems get elected and the market is not pushed up, and interest rates come back to normal, either way we're fucked.

Remember the only  time you make money in the market is when you SELL!, the true meaning of MAGA= Mircosoft,Apple ,Google,Amazon and that was straight out a drump meeting

6 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

:lol:  God I hope he gets wiped out

My thoughts and Prayers for him, when he get it!

29 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

If you have been doing your homework all along now is the time to hold.  Selling at a loss doesn't make you any money.

This is fear driven.  Take all the reported cases in any one country (including China) and compare it to population.

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1). The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness6.

Yes compare it to the common flu... when it's both more contagious (by an unknown factor) and approximately 4X more deadly.

If it were only just as contagious as flu, the new coronavirus will kill over 130,000 USAneans this season

But hey, the important thing is that Mike Pence will pray for your soul if you voted for Trump and get coronavirus.

- DSK

24 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

My thoughts and Prayers for him, when he get it!

Control the narrative so they don’t look bad & thoughts and prayers for the inevitable preventable deaths is the plan.

Republicans will lap it up.

57 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

So, plain old flu has a .1% mortality rate. Corona is at about 2%. That’s 20x higher than flu. Let’s hope it doesn’t spread like regular flu does. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

If you have been doing your homework all along now is the time to hold. 

Now is the time to buy.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Now is the time to buy (quality companies)  ;)

Fixed it for ya.......

3 hours ago, Saorsa said:

That doesn’t matter. China shutdown hitting supply chains? That matters a lot. No new phones, cars, Walmart plastic crap, etc. hello recession.

5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

That doesn’t matter. China shutdown hitting supply chains? That matters a lot. No new phones, cars, Walmart plastic crap, etc. hello recession.

China shutting down hitting Chinese demand matters a lot too. And it’s repeating in South Korea, and Japan, and coming to a place near you. Shocks to both sides.

course, nothing really matters to the nihilists

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

China shutting down hitting Chinese demand matters a lot too. And it’s repeating in South Korea, and Japan, and coming to a place near you. Shocks to both sides.

course, nothing really matters to the nihilists

The burn it down folks must be celebrating

Warren Buffett says that the stock market is the transference of money from the impatient to patient.  It will be interesting to see if he is right this time.  He may be.

• Like 3

Too late.

But Trump has it all under control. The economy is the best ever, and if you don't vote for a democrat, it will continue to flourish like no one has ever seen. If he's re-elected, he projects that the stock market will surge 4,000 points before the end of January 2021.

But......

If a democrat is elected, the DOW will plummet, like it is right now, because of what democrats said during the debate on Tuesday..... It's all Biden, and Sanders, and Bloomberg's fault! They're trying to ruin him!

It's a case of evil v.s. god!

:rolleyes:

On 2/25/2020 at 11:29 AM, garuda3 said:

In 2006 Ludlow said we're in a goldilocks economy , and then !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today: Trumps $$$$$ guy; Larry Kudlow says US has contained the coronavirus and the economy is holding up nicely as the market down another 800 pts 

warning signs : Inverted curve, Repro , QE, Feds printing $$$$$$$$$$$$ fake record highs on the market, 

+1

On 2/25/2020 at 12:51 PM, Laker said:

That is the question, no?  

Trump is good at this stuff.  Cash is kind of static, depending...

7 minutes ago, Amati said:

That is the question, no?  

Trump is good at this stuff.

The Chinese exchange has already started its way back up.  I am worried that the slope of the North American recovery will not be as steep if it happens at all.

7 hours ago, Sean said:

So, plain old flu has a .1% mortality rate. Corona is at about 2%. That’s 20x higher than flu. Let’s hope it doesn’t spread like regular flu does. Time will tell.

That's a 1% over the duration of the entire outbreak.

We've been through these outbreak crises before.  Swine Flu, Bird Flue, Ebola, Mad Cow Disease, SARS, HIV/AIDS, MRSA.

Every one seemed to threaten to end humanity.  In every case, they were brought under control.  In the case of flu's there is continuing research into the evolution of the virus' to create immunizations.

But, fear is such a great political motivator, let no crisis go to waste.  The idea that the US did nothing is bullshit.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/health/wuhan-coronavirus-timeline-fast-facts/index.html

From the cite

January 23, 2020 - At an emergency committee convened by the World Health Organization, the WHO says that the Wuhan coronavirus does not yet constitute a public health emergency of international concern.
January 29, 2020 - The White House announces the formation of a new task force that will help monitor and contain the spread of the virus, and ensure Americans have accurate and up-to-date health and travel information, it said.
February 25, 2020 - The NIH announces that a clinical trial to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the antiviral drug remdesivir in adults diagnosed with coronavirus has started at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. The first participant is an American who was evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Japan.
January 30, 2020 - The US reports its first confirmed case of person-to-person transmission of the Wuhan coronavirus. On the same day, the WHO determines that the outbreak constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).

Like most of the flu's, it hits those who become frail from age.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

From the cite

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

I'm up in that 8% box so the odds of survival are 12 to 1 in my favor.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:37 PM, El Boracho said:

Trump says this is a buying opportunity. So there is that.

I’m holding on in oil, booze and tech. But not bcuz of the financial genius of Trump. 

I've been pretty heavily invested for income.  I figure I'll just keep on with my personally managed dividend reinvestment program.   (all dividends paid into my account, I decide what to do with them.  DRIPS are for drips.

33 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I've been pretty heavily invested for income.  I figure I'll just keep on with my personally managed dividend reinvestment program.   (all dividends paid into my account, I decide what to do with them.  DRIPS are for drips.

Yep, you got yours. You are a greedy old  fuck.

The stock market is for suckers. I've got this shit covered like a jimmy hat...

2ebb6c53-c4ff-43cf-876f-6969f1867b50_1.4

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saorsa said:

one in ten people got flu in 2019? Yikes There's something very wrong in the USA

13 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Influenza affects single persons. No resulting effects on the industry.

Corona makes production temporarily to be stopped. The avalanche in unavailability of some products effects the whole production chain.

the first one is sad. The second one hurts economy.

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Now is the time to buy.

Buy what? Oh you must be talking about those stock thingies or something, not my job/problem, I have a pension.

I'm so glad I don't have to worry about my future income.

The highs, the lows...the stress.

I watched my inlaws hoard their superanuation (Very healthy too) carefully invest in Blue chip shares, take notes, preuse daily trends, rave about their tranches of Telstra..and it sat there for 25 years..breathing..in out in out (or up down up down) while they had no fun.

7 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Like most of the flu's, it hits those who become frail from age.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

From the cite

80+ years old
14.8%
70-79 years old
8.0%
60-69 years old
3.6%
50-59 years old
1.3%
40-49 years old
0.4%
30-39 years old
0.2%
20-29 years old
0.2%
10-19 years old
0.2%
0-9 years old
no fatalities

That's the kind of bullshit we've come to expect from Trump.  You do realize that the odds are not random within each age group, right?

9 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Great.

So if I get you a 12-shot revolver, you'd be cool to sit down a play a few rounds of Russian Roulette?

- DSK

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

That's the kind of bullshit we've come to expect from Trump. Saorsa  You do realize that the odds are not random within each age group, right?

I fixed it. Soreass is a sick old fuck who’s goal is to make “the kids today” more miserable than he was.

5 hours ago, Knut Grotzki said:

Influenza affects single persons. No resulting effects on the industry.

Corona makes production temporarily to be stopped. The avalanche in unavailability of some products effects the whole production chain.

the first one is sad. The second one hurts economy.

The reaction to Corona does that not the physical effects of the disease.

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

That's the kind of bullshit we've come to expect from Trump.  You do realize that the odds are not random within each age group, right?

That's right, there are other factors other than age.  That was just the mortality once infected.

My odds are probably better at NOT getting the disease because I live in a suburban area and not one of the Chinese rabbit warren mega-cities.

2 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

My odds are probably better at NOT getting the disease because I live in a suburban area and not one of the Chinese rabbit warren mega-cities.

SAORSA - brags about global travel to Hong Kong etc.

also SAORSA - says he’s less at risk because he doesn’t live in those places 

the stupid, it burns. Yup man, mixing with thousands of people around the globe leaves you less at risk

According to The NY Times, the fatality rate for infected patients is at 3.3% globally. 

"More than 83,000 people in at least 53 countries have been infected, and more than 2,800 have died. New infections outside China are now outpacing those within the country, the site of the first and by far the largest outbreak.

“This virus has pandemic potential,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director general of the World Health Organization, warned late Thursday. “We are actually in a very delicate situation in which the outbreak can go in any direction based on how we handle it.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/world/coronavirus-news.html

The cheery at the top of EVERY Bull market is shorting...where as much money that was made in the multi-year run up is made in the 4-6 month drop in the bear market...

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Great.

So if I get you a 12-shot revolver, you'd be cool to sit down a play a few rounds of Russian Roulette?

- DSK

No.  That would be entirely avoidable.  The first thing I would do is open it to make sure there was only one bullet in it.  Then, I'd make sure that it was in the position just before the barrel, point it at the instigator of the game  and pull the trigger.

Just now, Sean said:

According to The NY Times, the fatality rate for infected patients is at 3.3% globally. 

"More than 83,000 people in at least 53 countries have been infected, and more than 2,800 have died. New infections outside China are now outpacing those within the country, the site of the first and by far the largest outbreak.

“This virus has pandemic potential,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director general of the World Health Organization, warned late Thursday. “We are actually in a very delicate situation in which the outbreak can go in any direction based on how we handle it.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/world/coronavirus-news.html

You know, we don't have enough test kits for those numbers to be believable.  I find the numbers to be suspect until we have more rigor in testing.

Look at the instance of the woman who left the cruise ship where there had been no proven cases who went to Malaysia and then tested positive, then didn't, then she did, then she didn't. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=westerdam+proven+coronavirus+cases

There is a lot of misguided information out there.

Just now, Saorsa said:

You know, we don't have enough test kits for those numbers to be believable.  I find the numbers to be suspect until we have more rigor in testing.

Look at the instance of the woman who left the cruise ship where there had been no proven cases who went to Malaysia and then tested positive, then didn't, then she did, then she didn't. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=westerdam+proven+coronavirus+cases

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

SAORSA - brags about global travel to Hong Kong etc.

also SAORSA - says he’s less at risk because he doesn’t live in those places 

the stupid, it burns. Yup man, mixing with thousands of people around the globe leaves you less at risk

Right.  Except, I I never went to Wuhan and my last day in China was Dec 21.

5 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

No.  That would be entirely avoidable.  The first thing I would do is open it to make sure there was only one bullet in it.  Then, I'd make sure that it was in the position just before the barrel, point it at the instigator of the game  and pull the trigger.

In other words, you're full of shit and cannot face your Dear Leader's fuckups... just trying to cover up with empty bluster about your odds and ignoring very real consequences

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:

Right.  Except, I I never went to Wuhan and my last day in China was Dec 21.

Yeah, you'll be fine.

- DSK

13 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

That's right, there are other factors other than age.  That was just the mortality once infected.

you racist bastard.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Your Baghdad Bob act is not helpful.

27 minutes ago, Sean said:

Your Baghdad Bob act is not helpful.

Oh, goody, back to name calling.

Meanwhile, even by your NYT figures (as believable as the Chinese) 95% of the infected will survive and we haven't had time to come up with adequate diagnostic testing for COVD19.

32 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

you racist bastard.

OK, just rabbit warren cities anywhere although, the specific disease might differ based on local conditions.

But, the name calling proves the point. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

OK, just rabbit warren cities anywhere although, the specific disease might differ based on local conditions.

But, the name calling proves the point. 

And you're correction proves mine.

Jesus christ, are you not aware of what this virus is doing to ethnically chinese businesses or of  the abusive behavior people of Asian appearance are suffering all over the world?

. Watch what you type if you don't want to be called a racist.

You've just been to China..some Americans, or Australians, or British who have Chinese relatives have just been to china. Are you less likely to be infected than they?

45 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Jesus christ, are you not aware of what this virus is doing to ethnically chinese businesses or of  the abusive behavior people of Asian appearance are suffering all over the world?

You've just been to China..some Americans, or Australians, or British who have Chinese relatives have just been to china. Are you less likely to be infected than they?

Yes.  My last day in China was Dec 21.  More than 60 days ago.

10 hours ago, bhyde said:

The stock market is for suckers. I've got this shit covered like a jimmy hat...

2ebb6c53-c4ff-43cf-876f-6969f1867b50_1.4

:lol:

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

You really have a messed up way of looking at some things - you sound like a perpetual victim. 

last words ,Edward J. Smith, the captain of the Titanic, said his last words to the crew: “Well boys, do your best for the women and children, and look out for yourself.” He was planning on retiring after the voyage.
As compared to present Coward in Charge: It's the Dems fault, it's the virus, it's my lawyers , it's the stock market, it's all the people that I fired (too many to name) it's my bone spurs, it's my x wives, it's my hooker GF's , IT'S MY CADDY
Well Donnie your the POTUS act like one !

19 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Yes.  My last day in China was Dec 21.  More than 60 days ago.

You aren't saying that means you had zero chance of coming into contact with the virus, are you? 

The day COVID-19 was first identified only means that prior to that date it hadn't been identified.

10 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Yep, you got yours. You are a greedy old  fuck.

And dividends won’t dry up.  No sir!  I mean, look at yields climbing up & up!  It’s a long term cash bonanza, I tell you!  :lol:;)

4 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

More like the POUTIS. 

8 minutes ago, garuda3 said:
last words ,Edward J. Smith, the captain of the Titanic, said his last words to the crew: “Well boys, do your best for the women and children, and look out for yourself.” He was planning on retiring after the voyage.
As compared to present Coward in Charge: It's the Dems fault, it's the virus, it's my lawyers , it's the stock market, it's all the people that I fired (too many to name) it's my bone spurs, it's my x wives, it's my hooker GF's , IT'S MY CADDY

While I don't think that there's as much wrong with the direct actions taken in response to this virus as folks like to suggest - you're quite right that Trump again has made this all about HIM - and is ignoring an opportunity to actually do what a leader SHOULD do in a crisis:  Keep the focus on mitigation, provide a clear path forward, and do what they can to actually help people traverse that path. 

20 minutes ago, garuda3 said:

If only we could upload Trump et al into a self contained VR, where they would believe they were still in charge.  Then watch them on Netflix, as the producers turn the screws back to the current reality.  That would be reality TV, baby!  

I'm going back to drool over Sonderboats.  I didn’t know that Teddy Roosevelt was involved in the class.  L95’s look to be a modern expression?

http://www.bootswerft-glas.de/documents/EN-MGlasGmbH-L95/index.html#4

10 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

While I don't think that there's as much wrong with the direct actions taken in response to this virus as folks like to suggest 

AGITC doesn’t pay attention but is convinced everyone’s wrong. It’s how Trump survives in a nutshell. Take people who already believe the libs are wrong, and convince the believers that they are correct in their belief. Without this ecosystem - people who want to believe, and the whores feeding them things to confirm belief, Trump falls apart.

40 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

While I don't think that there's as much wrong with the direct actions taken in response to this virus as folks like to suggest - you're quite right that Trump again has made this all about HIM - and is ignoring an opportunity to actually do what a leader SHOULD do in a crisis:  Keep the focus on mitigation, provide a clear path forward, and do what they can to actually help people traverse that path. 

You maybe right , if only he would stay focus , stop your name calling/blaming of the people he dislike , it makes him look like a grade school insecure person. 

10 hours ago, animeproblem said:

Buy what? Oh you must be talking about those stock thingies or something, not my job/problem, I have a pension.

Is that all you have?

5 hours ago, Jules said:

You aren't saying that means you had zero chance of coming into contact with the virus, are you? 

The day COVID-19 was first identified only means that prior to that date it hadn't been identified.

They’ve pushed the first sighting back to Dec 1. 

34 minutes ago, Amati said:

Oh, they knew about it when Soreass was in China - they’d sequenced it by the time he left I believe. The broader point was If you are traveling about the globe in flying Petri dishes, through airports with thousands of others, and spending time at an ever changing array of hotels/eatery’s/etc you are exposed to far more pathogens. Because, you know, movement. Everyone that travels knows that. I certainly did.

But soreass likes to step on the rake, smack himself in the face then say “eat shit losers, I won”

5 hours ago, Amati said:

If only we could upload Trump et al into a self contained VR, where they would believe they were still in charge.  Then watch them on Netflix, as the producers turn the screws back to the current reality.  That would be reality TV, baby!  

I'm going back to drool over Sonderboats.  I didn’t know that Teddy Roosevelt was involved in the class.  L95’s look to be a modern expression?

http://www.bootswerft-glas.de/documents/EN-MGlasGmbH-L95/index.html#4

That is a beauty. Didn't see anything about Teddy, I did notice the price though. Over 109,000Eu without any nice options... just the basic beautiful boat.

Bigger and sleeker than the Sakonnet 23 which has been one of my faovrites, long time... makes it seem like  bargain, maybe I should show Mrs Steam....

There was a short story in the Berserker sci-fi series (iirc originated by Saberhagen) where the humans had been reduced to living in little fantasy bubbles where they thought they were hunting, playing grand sports, etc etc.

- DSK

55 minutes ago, Amati said:

Considering it takes two weeks to be detected, A gets it and a week later passes it on to B who a week later passes it on to C and on it goes.  Add to that those who carry but are immune to the virus.  Until they find the source, they will never know for sure. 

Just keep clear of Saorsa.

oecon.jpg

48 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

That is a beauty. Didn't see anything about Teddy, I did notice the price though. Over 109,000Eu without any nice options... just the basic beautiful boat.

Bigger and sleeker than the Sakonnet 23 which has been one of my faovrites, long time... makes it seem like  bargain, maybe I should show Mrs Steam....

There was a short story in the Berserker sci-fi series (iirc originated by Saberhagen) where the humans had been reduced to living in little fantasy bubbles where they thought they were hunting, playing grand sports, etc etc.

- DSK

And there was the Soviet couple who wrote about a wonderful worker’s paradise, but actually everybody was high from LSD in the water supply- some people thought they were cars, so they would carry people around using their arms and shoulders, ecstatic they were automobiles!

Sakononnet 23!  :wub:  wasn’t Joel EB White’s kid?

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Considering it takes two weeks to be detected, A gets it and a week later passes it on to B who a week later passes it on to C and on it goes.  Add to that those who carry but are immune to the virus.  Until they find the source, they will never know for sure. 

We need to encourage him to go to a Trump rally!  Shake hands!  Chant ‘build the wall’ loud enough that spittle flies out of his mouth!  It’s proof of loyalty after all.  To be silent is to be a traitor!  Shower people with your spit!  It’s love, baby!  When does Trump have someone who sneezes ejected by the rest of the crowd?  When does he bolt, and cower in fear in the White House?  When does he stop vacationing at Mar a Lago?  When does he turn into a fat version of Howard Hughes?  A hermit terrified of GERMS?  Does he launch a preemptive nuclear strategy strike to cleanse China of the Corona Virus?  When does he outlaw Corona Cerveza?  IT’S ALREADY HAPPENING!!!

1 hour ago, Jules said:

Like we needed to be told.

9 hours ago, Jules said:

No, I'm not but I am well past all quarantine periods proposed to date.

I just don't plan on living in fear or encouraging the chicken little view of the world.

As of February 28th there are 15 confirmed cases in the US per the CDC.

From https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

Updated February 28, 2020

CDC is responding to an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus. The outbreak first started in Wuhan, China, but cases have been identified in a growing number of other international locations, including the United States. This page will be updated regularly on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Numbers close out at 4 p.m. the day before reporting.

COVID-19: Confirmed and Presumptive Positive Cases in the United States*

COVID-19: Confirmed Cases in the United States*†

Confirmed

Presumptive Positive**

Travel-related

Person-to-person spread

Total confirmed cases

Total tested

N/A

* This table represents cases detected and tested in the United States through U.S. public health surveillance systems since January 21, 2020. It does not include people who returned to the U.S. via State Department-chartered flights.

** A presumptive positive case has tested positive by a public health laboratory and is pending confirmatory testing at CDC.

COVID-19: Cases among Persons Repatriated to the United States

COVID-19: Cases among Persons Repatriated to the United States†

Positive

Wuhan, China

Diamond Princess Cruise Ship

Cases have laboratory confirmation and may or may not have been symptomatic.

4 hours ago, Amati said:

Actually, a Doctor in Wuhan was complaining about a disease in November.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/wuhan-seafood-market-may-not-be-source-novel-virus-spreading-globally

And, COVID-19 is not the only Coronavirus.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/general-information.html

7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Is that all you have?

Well, to be fair there is always this house I'm sitting in, & being a mere lad of 60 if the right job came along I could return to work (& if I can ever get my sleep patterns sorted again).

I guess my fairly rich in laws would be the cherry on top.

11 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Bullshit, stick your racism accusations up your arse.  I don't like China but it has nothing to do with race.

Fucking up the Mekong alone would be enough to earn my digust.

I hate to have you look at your own country but how are those Chinese riots working for you?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-49159820

Hong Kong is now in its eighth week of street protests, which began with opposition to a controversial extradition bill but have spiralled into wider opposition to the government and Beijing.

As the situation grows yet more tense, the impact is also being felt overseas, particularly among the hundreds of thousands of mainland Chinese and Hong Kong students studying in Australia.

At the University of Queensland, the tensions spilled over into violent clashes last week, when a group staging a support rally for the Hong Kong demonstrators were confronted by pro-Beijing protesters.

Hundreds of protesters faced off against each other, yelling insults and abuse as the Chinese national anthem was blasted from a speaker.

Videos posted online showed pro-China supporters ripping posters from the hands of opponents, prompting shoving and physical confrontations.

Security officials quickly arrived to separate the groups but tensions remained high, said Nilsson Jones, a student journalist who filmed some of the clashes.

"Overwhelmingly, the [mainland] Chinese students were the aggressors," he said, adding that they had also turned out in greater numbers.

Hong Kong students who took part in the protests told the BBC they had done nothing to incite that response. Christy Leung, 21, and Phoebe Fan, 22, said they had helped organise a peaceful demonstration to support the pro-democracy protests at home.

"Our goal was for us to show support for the Hong Kong protesters, and to show we're against the extradition bill to China," Ms Fan told the BBC. "We didn't say anything about independence or anything like that."

Riots? Gimme a break. a bunch of a couple of hundred students chanting and hurling abuse at each other does not a riot make.

This is a riot

image.jpeg.390bfeade7f91430e4c2c934e0b399ba.jpeg

or this

image.jpeg.97c82c5c5549d9059e3fa8baeb0daa30.jpeg

this is not a riot. it's a rowdy protest

image.jpeg.a3849a50dccb541b3935cbdb6987681c.jpeg

These are scary?

Image result for chinese student riots australia

Really?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-24/uq-student-protest-anger-over-hong-kong-chinese-minorities/11343130

4 hours ago, Amati said:

And there was the Soviet couple who wrote about a wonderful worker’s paradise, but actually everybody was high from LSD in the water supply- some people thought they were cars, so they would carry people around using their arms and shoulders, ecstatic they were automobiles!

Sakononnet 23!  :wub:  wasn’t Joel EB White’s kid?

Huh... maybe, so never thought about that... EB White did write about sailing, though...

There was a great Kurt Vonnegut story about a guy who discovered a radio signal from outer space that amplified the human nervous system's feeling of happiness (the science was a little fuzzy, like a lot of his stories).

http://images.pcmac.org/SiSFiles/Schools/CT/NorthHavenSchools/NorthHavenHigh/Uploads/DocumentsCategories/Documents/The Euphio Question.pdf

For those that want to listen rather than read:

A whole city tripping on LSD would bring on a lot of problems, for some it would be paradise until they found out they really can't fly... they'd probably die happy though

- DSK