Sign in to follow this  
nlmasopust

What design is this?

Meant to post this a while back.  Neat looking ocean cruiser I saw on Apponaug Cove in Narragansett Bay Rhode Island late last summer.  Anyone able to ID this?

Most interesting is that it looks to be production boat, but has a built in trim tab for self-steering.  I have always thought these make the most sense for self-steering, most protected from damage IMHO.  Could be a custom engineering job, but if it is, whoever did it executed the project brilliantly.  Beautiful system.

Apologies for slightly blurry, washed-out images, shot through a waterproof phone case from my kayak.

Many thanks!

IMG_20190831_074734005.jpg

IMG_20190831_074614382.jpg

IMG_20190831_074544108_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Wow, thanks!  That appears to be her.  Only 30 of them built...

Not that I'm looking to enter it, but it appears she qualifies for Golden Globe Race, for anyone interested in that sort of thing.  Salty-looking design!

Many thanks for this!

Yep a Gale Force. Great little boats. The guy who built them died a year or so ago but his son is still around and may even be on this site. I think there's even a molded Hulya and deck somewhere if you want a new one/

• Like 1

Very unusual hull to deck joint as I recall. I met Mr. Kaiser many years ago. Nice guy. I liked his boat.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Bob Perry said:

Very unusual hull to deck joint as I recall. I met Mr. Kaiser many years ago. Nice guy. I liked his boat.

Mr. Perry, would you be able to describe it?  Hopefully unusual in a "no expense spared" sense as some descriptions online say...

Probably not as good as the Carbon Cutters, I'm sure.

She sure is curvy.  I do like those :)

What is that "sheer clamp" on the trunk cabin version made out of?  If wood, not sure it would be a good idea to have high stressed stuff lag screwed into it from above.  Would probably never see a leak until it all rotted out.

Many thanks for this rstone!

This place sure has a wealth of knowledge...

On 2/26/2020 at 10:25 AM, bridhb said:

What is that "sheer clamp" on the trunk cabin version made out of?  If wood, not sure it would be a good idea to have high stressed stuff lag screwed into it from above.  Would probably never see a leak until it all rotted out.

That was my first thought! "If that crosshatched core is wood, you've just done a spectacular job trapping all the water that's going to leak into it thru the fastener penetrations."

Doesn't the Westsail 32 have a similar bulwark design, with lots of associated problems?

Ok, the last and first time I saw a Kaiser Gale Force was probably 1976, 44 years ago. But here is what I recall seeing.

In short, there was no hull to deck joint as we think of them. The hull was laid up in a female mold and included bulwark and side deck integral with the hull laminate. You removed the "hull" from the mold and you had a boat with a deck and a big hole where the cabin trunk would be joined. A typical lap joint was applied at the junction of the side deck and the cabin side. lapping down onto the side deck.

I could be wrong but it did leave an impression on me at the time.

The four carbon cutters have no hull to deck joint at all. It's all one piece bonded with carbon inside and out.

“We don’t need no stinking hull to deck joint!”

• Like 1

Bob,

That sort of looks like the hull/deck joint that PSC used on the 63. Seemed like a lot of bother at the time but maybe it will finally get a test in the real world!