Sign in to follow this  
sailm8

Clive Cussler DTS

pic_oregon01.jpg.1f3acf11000c11c4ddb3745a0681d860.jpg

RIP Juan Cabrillo 

Raise the titanic

one of my favorite books

• Like 1

His books were my favorites growing up.  Sad day indeed.

• Like 1

The literary pot will boil a little less briskly.

Great snowed-in reads.  

Have to admit it, I’ve never read one of his books.  I remember seeing bookshops covered with them, but never picked one up for some reason....maybe I should  

1 minute ago, mad said:

Have to admit it, I’ve never read one of his books.  I remember seeing bookshops covered with them, but never picked one up for some reason....maybe I should  

They are silly adventure hero novels, but, enjoyable, and there's always a cool car mention. 

• Like 3

Gotta agree with Chessie on this. Not much on style but great content to entertain the idle mind. Submarines, underwater fights, exotic travel, always done seamlessly. I outgrew it prolly in my 20s, but they were fun reads.

One of them involved escaping in a 1930s era Cord FWD car B)

I think they will still be written, didn't the series get farmed out to ghost writers years ago?

He is the only author I know that puts himself in every story. Just weird shit.

RIP, popcorn books but entertaining.  He owned every car he wrote about and was a legit treasure hunter. Life well lived.  Fair winds..

Just now, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You never heard of Alfred Hitchcock? 

His writing was good, so different level.

1 minute ago, Gissie said:

He is the only author I know that puts himself in every story. Just weird shit.

That came later. Start back at the 1st book, the earlier ones are best. I forget which one he started doing the get into my own book shit in, but stuff would happen like the heroes are stranded out in the middle of the ocean swimming for their lives and "Clive Cussler" would show up in his boat and save them.

42 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

They are silly adventure hero novels, but, enjoyable, and there's always a cool car mention. 

I think I read a back cover and came to the same conclusion many years ago, I don’t feel like I’ve missed that much. 
Any particularly good ones to read?  I’m not reading all of them, that’s for sure. 

1 minute ago, mad said:

I think I read a back cover and came to the same conclusion many years ago, I don’t feel like I’ve missed that much. 
Any particularly good ones to read?  I’m reading all of them. 

The 1st was good - Mediterranean Caper.   Apropos of current events?  Sahara.  Odessa Sea was interesting for the local historical insights. 

Night Probe, and of course Raise the Titanic 

Don’t bother with fiction after 1985, but the Sea Hunters is interesting.

They used to be called "airport books". The kind of thing you grab at an airport newsstand to read on the flight.

So my mom is a cussler fan...  two weeks ago she donated about 20 first printings of Clive’s novels....to a local church. 

Fuck....me...

she saved one... iceberg...

he will be missed...  dirk Pitt was the venerable James Bond to Ian Fleming. 

The Lee Child of a previous era.

Absolutely a one flight, leave it in the seat in front of you kinda books.

3 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

The Lee Child of a previous era.

Absolutely a one flight, leave it in the seat in front of you kinda books.

No,  Lee has nothing on Clive...I put clive above  Tom Clancy.  IMHO.  

12 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

Yeah I put my Cussler books right up there with the Clancy books I have and also love.  Thats just me though.

I like the ones coauthored with Justin Scott, a retro series.   They take place a century ago and seem more plausible.    The original ones were fun when I was a kid but didn’t age well imo.

Brainless airport books but enjoyable in the right setting/niche. Nothing wrong with that. I read a few. Fair winds. 

good grief people , it's entertainment .

13 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

You never heard of Alfred Hitchcock? 

He didn't write everything he put himself in....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

Sorry, Clive has a place, but I find Child more compelling, as there are fewer characters to keep track of.

At one point, I had all of Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy & Stephan King novels in hardback.

Fair Winds Mr. Pitt...

Never quite realized that his first stuff was written in the 70's...  Read most of the ones written by mr Cussler.  Beach reads basically.  A good Tom Clancy book drew you in by the details and all the plausibility.  Cussler was pure fantasy, James bond, Jacques Cousteau and John Wayne with connections rolled into one...  What was the fat marine museum guy's name pit and gordino used to go see whenever the story got too crazy.  Julien??  

2 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Never quite realized that his first stuff was written in the 70's...  Read most of the ones written by mr Cussler.  Beach reads basically.  A good Tom Clancy book drew you in by the details and all the plausibility.  Cussler was pure fantasy, James bond, Jacques Cousteau and John Wayne with connections rolled into one...  What was the fat marine museum guy's name pit and gordino used to go see whenever the story got too crazy.  Julien??  

Perlmutter

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mad said:

Any particularly good ones to read?  I’m not reading all of them, that’s for sure. 

any of the early ones might surprise you... towards the end they became rather formulaic. \

Like Clancy, most of the books he wrote solo were pretty good.. the collaborative(ghost written) .. good beach read, but probably wont keep you up all night turning pages.

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

any of the early ones might surprise you... towards the end they became rather formulaic. \

Like Clancy, most of the books he wrote solo were pretty good.. the collaborative(ghost written) .. good beach read, but probably wont keep you up all night turning pages.

Thanks, i'll pick one up and give it a try sometime.

• Downvote 1

Entertaining storyteller. Read most of them. For the naysayers, you can't tell me you wouldn't want Juan Cabrillo's ship The Oregon?? Pure nautical science fiction, but great escapism when you don't feel like reading Shakespeare or Castenada

WL

• Like 2

Some very cool cars, including a 4 seater Bugatti coupe

https://www.cusslermuseum.com/autos

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

I think Clancy's best work was Red Storm Rising, co-written with Larry Bond.  Have the internet handy if you don't have a copy of Jane's Fighting Ships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, White Lightning2 said:

Entertaining storyteller. Read most of them. For the naysayers, you can't tell me you wouldn't want Juan Cabrillo's ship The Oregon?? Pure nautical science fiction, but great escapism when you don't feel like reading Shakespeare or Castenada

WL

Loved the leg..  seemed like Juan tried to get a bomb/knife/torpedo/axe/hook/bazooka in that thing somewhere in every story.  Brilliant!!!!

6 hours ago, shaggy said:

Perlmutter

15 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:

Always liked his timepieces strapped to his wrist... a real diver. Everybody has a Rolex.

http://www.doxa300t.com/misc/clivewatch.htm

clivewatchv.jpg

Man, always wanted one of those, but either couldn't find / afford one. So I settled for this:

174924198_CitizensOrangeFaceR2.jpg.37cd85ff7928864dcc3f87db14a52916.jpg

Need to have the battery replaced (again)!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tax Man said:

I think Clancy's best work was Red Storm Rising, co-written with Larry Bond.  Have the internet handy if you don't have a copy of Jane's Fighting Ships.

Concur, with Clear And Present danger and Without Remorse in a close tie for second place.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

you mean  An old vehicle crashes, plane, boat, car train, ect....  fastFwd  to some random event that puts the world in peril.  Dirk saves the day, whiles at the same time finding the long lost vehicle, that is somehow used in the plot to help dirk save the day.  Dirk gets woman, and Al is the ride along pudgy sidekick who steals cigars.  Oh and in every book somehow clive wrote himself in as some obscure character.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 4:46 PM, mad said:

Early ones...

You forgot about using all the resources of NUMA and Sandecker stepping in whenever things went south...  Oh yea, can't forget about the treks to Julian Purlmutter's house sometime mid tome...  

Cussler's Dirk Pitt was an annoyance.

All wise, powerful and invulnerable... and boring. 

Then again, Mister Cussler has sold millions and millions of books.  ;)  RIP.

5 hours ago, TonkaToy said:

Man, always wanted one of those, but either couldn't find / afford one. So I settled for this:

174924198_CitizensOrangeFaceR2.jpg.37cd85ff7928864dcc3f87db14a52916.jpg

Need to have the battery replaced (again)!!!

Yup those Original Sub300T Pros are vintage and super rare now.

He was one of a kind in original adventure plots with the historical twists.  The writing was good to pretty bad, but he really was unique in his ability to come up with the stories.  The never ending Indiana Jones meets James Bond.

He had exceptionally good taste in old cars.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:43 AM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Cussler's Dirk Pitt was an annoyance.

All wise, powerful and invulnerable... and boring. 

Then again, Mister Cussler has sold millions and millions of books.  ;)  RIP.

Matthew McConaughey was annoying as Dirk Pitt. The books were written for entertainment. From cover to cover they are non stop action adventure and some Intellectual and Tech talk interspersed. 

His website says over 100 millionn in print. I wonder how much $$ ber book he gets?

They are pure entertainment and a great way to escape the monotony of today politics.

• Like 1