Sign in to follow this  
Schakel

Blackcat 30 Multihull supercat by McConaghy

Better get used to it,

Super yachts are more common than in the old days.
It might have shown bad taste in the past. Not in this case.
And without any doubt you're one of the fastest is you go for this one.
1196113461_Blackcat8.thumb.PNG.f82bd6566bdb624766e7e915aaf9da4e.PNG
BlackCat-30-interior.jpg.618121f4c8295144fa0fa96be813601f.jpg
Black_cat.thumb.PNG.2ed9845a2d9a30d24a9253acab10b17f.PNG
48422367_Blackcat6.PNG.0b76bfcc4989b151bfeea389afb91048.PNG
1028597843_Blackcat4.PNG.f083fdab416080be06d45b081a639dda.PNG
321146262_Blackcat3.PNG.05cabefb4db2cee25fb10ccb217ffa20.PNG
526563530_Blackcat2.PNG.c67f24980bb155b1c360b7019991574e.PNG
1920416951_Blackcat9.thumb.PNG.9870ce9640fb85dd726322b02a1c7384.PNG
1128804098_Blackcat7.thumb.PNG.603614f89a3ee5b22b1b7058fc42bbb4.PNG

Mitch Booth was one of their consultants.
http://www.malcolmmckeonyachtdesign.com/yachts/blackcat-50

https://www.mcconaghyboats.com/blackcat-superyachts

Black cat 5.PNG

• Like 2

Wow, I like them.  Three sizes:

30 m:

• Length: 30.40 m (100 feet)
  • Beam: 12.20 m (40 feet)
  • Draft keel up: 1.85 m
  • Draft keel down: 4.10 m
  • Displacement: 60 Tonnes

35 m:

• Length: 35 m (115 feet)
  • Beam: 14 m (46 feet)
  • Draft keel up: 1.6 m
  • Draft keel down: 3.5 m
  • Displacement: 70 Tonnes

50 m:

• Length: 50.4 m (164 feet)
  • Beam: 18.5 m (61 feet)
  • Draft keel up: 2.8 m
  • Draft keel down: 5.0 m
  • Displacement: 193 Tonnes

• Like 2

I'd totally hate to be the yacht master on this craft.  There's a huge blindspot from whichever helm you're at (not an uncommon failing of large, luxury cats).  While on passage you'd have to have 2 crew on watch at all times just to cover the lookout role.  Without any inside helm station, it'd be like the clipper ships of old, iron men and foulies.  (yes, I'm a wuss.... I mean, who really wants THAT duty these days?)  It's great for the owner but....  impractical for the poor sods who end up working on this thing.  They'll curse the owner and the designer for as long as they are aboard...

On 2/27/2020 at 9:32 PM, ProaSailor said:

Wow, I like them.  Three sizes:

30 m:

• Length: 30.40 m (100 feet)
  • Beam: 12.20 m (40 feet)
  • Draft keel up: 1.85 m
  • Draft keel down: 4.10 m
  • Displacement: 60 Tonnes

35 m:

• Length: 35 m (115 feet)
  • Beam: 14 m (46 feet)
  • Draft keel up: 1.6 m
  • Draft keel down: 3.5 m
  • Displacement: 70 Tonnes

50 m:

• Length: 50.4 m (164 feet)
  • Beam: 18.5 m (61 feet)
  • Draft keel up: 2.8 m
  • Draft keel down: 5.0 m
  • Displacement: 193 Tonnes

The 50 meter version looks even more like a floating lounge.
In the video presentation the helmstations are even more without a clear vision.
1761550117_HelmBlackcat50.PNG.1f27e183f2395a4e12d2d16d105abd73.PNG
The platform is what you expect on a floating palace.
231166484_PlatformBlackcat50.PNG.651ddaf925dd5fbcf7670aabb02245da.PNG
Still, very luxurious.

If you're on watch you sit in the owners cabin with auto pilot remote in your pocket. Radar is set up with guard zones. And yeah I think you need another crew member to be a second set of eyes. But standing at the wheel for hours? I don't think so.

But will they ever be built, especially the big one? 

As they’re just at render stage, I’m sure helm stations, cockpit layout etc  can be tweaked. 

If I every truly make it, you'll see me in one of these with a pair of moths lashed on deck. 

Are we allowed cameras for the blind spots? Actual crew, yes, when docking or moving in a tight marina, but for regular sailing cameras should be alright.

53 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Mere Megalomarans the are...

Ssst, it's stylish.
Or cocaine barons looking for their pimp ride..

17 hours ago, Zonker said:

If you're on watch you sit in the owners cabin with auto pilot remote in your pocket. Radar is set up with guard zones. And yeah I think you need another crew member to be a second set of eyes. But standing at the wheel for hours? I don't think so.

Mebbe the owner's wife wouldn't actually mind that arrangement......

(but truthfully, it still only give you a narrow fwd arc of visibility. You won't see things aft of 2 or 3 pts from ahead due to the fwd house extensions/fairings)

1 hour ago, Veeger said:

Mebbe the owner's wife wouldn't actually mind that arrangement......

(but truthfully, it still only give you a narrow fwd arc of visibility. You won't see things aft of 2 or 3 pts from ahead due to the fwd house extensions/fairings)

Imagine yourself with nice compagnion lounging in the cushions, doing 25 knots while comfortably protected by the glass roof.
Must be an extraordinairy experience.
299200049_Blackcat5.PNG.0c6a21d1aad5ceeaa2c92eb4686ca3a2.PNG

7 hours ago, Schakel said:

Imagine yourself with nice compagnion lounging in the cushions, doing 25 knots while comfortably protected by the glass roof.
Must be an extraordinairy experience.
299200049_Blackcat5.PNG.0c6a21d1aad5ceeaa2c92eb4686ca3a2.PNG

I bet it gets hot in there with all that glass.

On 3/1/2020 at 6:40 AM, Zonker said:

The visibility doesn’t look too bad. I’d say from the size of the wheel and height of the saloon roof that you’d have to be fairly short not to see over it, if you can’t see over it all you need to do is a few steps forward and your up a step. Some sun protection at the Helen would be nice. It’ll likely get some small Bimini's made in time but I’ve crossed many an ocean with exposed helms like that and for professional crew on a sail yacht it’s just all part of the job, some large super yachts like Wallys don’t even have helm seats this things luxurious! People that don’t like sailing and exposed helms normally go and work on MY’s. 

Helming from the owners cabin?? Can’t imagine a professional crew helming a boat like this from the cabin but if you own it you can do as you please I’d check the insurance though as holding a proper watch is normally written in the fine print a radar alone definitely won’t cut the mustard. 

Guess that the boat runs with four crew looking at the cabin arrangements and layout. Main issue will be trying to run a powerful/high tech boat like this with four crew. Keeping the interior, exterior and engineering running with up to eight guests can be full  on even with six crew especially on a boat of this size and volume. Lots of moving parts to keep running and exterior and interior surfaces to keep shiny. Can be done just wears the crew out and slowly the boats condition declines. 

Hopefully it’s got some solar as that amount of saloon deck would negate the use of a generator when you had full sun. You’d think it would be easy if the boats designed around efficient systems to run off solar during daylight hours. 

Looks cool. It’s about time that Super Yacht design got a large sexy multihull, for some reason those Sunreefs have never been able to cut the mustard. 

• Like 2

I 'd like to think the glass is same sort as the windows of the Boeing 787 - just turn the knob and they go from clear to solid black....

15 hours ago, trispirit said:

Main issue will be trying to run a powerful/high tech boat like this with four crew

Yup. Captain, cook, 1 deckhand, 1 stewardess. Not a lot of bodies.  Maybe the owner has to get his/her own drinks?

• Like 2

they look way too narrow - like they don't have  enough beam to support a powerful rig

i guess i don't know how the scaling should work, but they look narrower, for their length, than the GB 68

• Length: 30.40 (100 feet) and Beam: 12.20 m (40 feet)... so 40% B/L ratio.
  • Length: 35 m (115 feet) and abeam: 14 m (46 feet)... so 40% B/L ratio
  • Length: 50.4 m (164 feet) and Beam: 18.5 m (61 feet)... so 37% B/L ratio

Good eye. A little narrower than most cruising cats at 50%. Then again, few cruising cats are THIS big. I wonder I'd this reflects more about where you might slip or side-tie such a beast? 

4 hours ago, randii said:
  • Length: 30.40 (100 feet) and Beam: 12.20 m (40 feet)... so 40% B/L ratio.
  • Length: 35 m (115 feet) and abeam: 14 m (46 feet)... so 40% B/L ratio
  • Length: 50.4 m (164 feet) and Beam: 18.5 m (61 feet)... so 37% B/L ratio

Good eye. A little narrower than most cruising cats at 50%. Then again, few cruising cats are THIS big. I wonder I'd this reflects more about where you might slip or side-tie such a beast? 

This is the top 3:
All three with different atmoshere

Biggest is Hemisphere with a luxury hotel atmosphere.
Length 44.20m, (145 feet) and Beam 16.6m (54 Feet) so 36% B/L Ratio

Douce France resembles a racing Schooner.
15 / 42 = 35 %

Necker Belle (Former Richards Branson Cat) resembles a leisure centre.
14/32 = 43 %

Trans atlantic record holder Banque Populair V Carbon foiler with little comfort.
But  that is not a touring cat anymore.
23/40 = 57%

I have to agree with Randii, If you want a very fast yacht on steroids, a wider beam looks to give more power by Newtons Law of momentum.

• Like 1

I dunno if I could ever be happy with a super yacht lacking an elevator crows nest like on Necker Belle's mast. 

2 hours ago, guysmiley said:

I dunno if I could ever be happy with a super yacht lacking an elevator crows nest like on Necker Belle's mast. 

It's silly, I agree.

On 3/3/2020 at 5:19 AM, Schakel said:

This is the top 3:
All three with different atmoshere

Biggest is Hemisphere with a luxury hotel atmosphere.
Length 44.20m, (145 feet) and Beam 16.6m (54 Feet) so 36% B/L Ratio

Douce France resembles a racing Schooner.
15 / 42 = 35 %

Necker Belle (Former Richards Branson Cat) resembles a leisure centre.
14/32 = 43 %

Trans atlantic record holder Banque Populair V Carbon foiler with little comfort.
But  that is not a touring cat anymore.
23/40 = 57%

I have to agree with Randii, If you want a very fast yacht on steroids, a wider beam looks to give more power by Newtons Law of momentum.

Boyz, boyz, boyz!  You all know better than this. This is a big cat, and even if kept light, it's multiple times more displacement.  Stability goes up bigly with increase in size/displacement.  The wide beam is not required.  Additionally, with beam comes an even greater weight and extra (i.e. more heavy) structural requirements.  Given that this is a luxury yacht, all that extra beam will be filled with, umm, extra luxury furnishings as well.  Also, bigger beam means greater relative bridge deck clearance requirements. Lastly, where ya gonna park or anchor a 70' wide cat except in a commercial shipping designated anchorage?

• Like 2

Is this thing even getting built or is it just vapoware like the aeroyacht?

1 hour ago, BeatmongerZ said:

Is this thing even getting built or is it just vapoware like the aeroyacht?

"just vaporware"?  Do you have any idea how much effort went into producing those models, images and videos?  You can't sell what you don't have so plans come first.  The money is the easy part, for those who already have it (and don't know what to do with it).  Expressing a vision like this is bold and brilliant.  Big boats for a big ocean make sense.

Personally, I wasn't able to afford this 35' Shuttleworth.  Quite small really, yet so expensive to outfit properly!

hanalei_20121008.thumb.jpg.615481f72186fa32b25e3c4a54883820.jpg
http://josephoster.com/malihini/pics/hanalei_20121008.jpg
http://josephoster.com/malihini/

An application of the wing sails as developed in the Americas cup gives the same propulsionpower with less mast height, capsizing momentum.
Resulting in less neccessarry beam, resistance close hauled.
Sciene fiction?  No,  reality, reseach development catamaran Energy Observer cruises the world with ocean wings and other innovative, yet applicable technology.
598583953_Energyobserveroceanwings.PNG.f4ce86d54638ba55047352782f207678.PNG
This year on her way to Japan and California.
Energy Observer site
Developed by VPLP:

Yes, it's a RM thing. As cats get really big they don't need the RM and so beam % decreases for structural / weight reasons. In other words, the narrower cats have ENOUGH RM that they don't need to go bigger.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, ProaSailor said:

"just vaporware"?  Do you have any idea how much effort went into producing those models, images and videos?  You can't sell what you don't have so plans come first.  The money is the easy part, for those who already have it (and don't know what to do with it).  Expressing a vision like this is bold and brilliant.  Big boats for a big ocean make sense.

Personally, I wasn't able to afford this 35' Shuttleworth.  Quite small really, yet so expensive to outfit properly!

Me neither sadly :(  I love the Shuttleworth designs too.  Don't get me wrong I'd love to see that huge cat sailing.  I just know that a similar boat was being offered by Aeroyacht for years on yachtworld and no one bit.  Here's to hoping having a more well known builder will be able to sell one of these and we can see it for real. 

16 hours ago, Zonker said:

Yes, it's a RM thing. As cats get really big they don't need the RM and so beam % decreases for structural / weight reasons. In other words, the narrower cats have ENOUGH RM that they don't need to go bigger.

Also, wave interference gets less of an issue as size increases. These cruising boats won't be flying a hull much, so can have proportionally more volume shared, so finer hulls, so narrower bow wave angle, etc., etc. Narrow beam with increased size comes out of the design spiral naturally.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 9:52 PM, Zonker said:

RM = Rightning  Movement?
The Ocean wings are in the right movement?

Yep, all kind of fantasictic talk.
I don't mind as long as they know themselfes where they are are talking about,

Believe me there are enough people to buy one  of these dreams.
But do they want to?

This as well fantastic dream is for sale.
It's in grasp of an greedy arm.
Might change the world
612-8.jpg.53e494b09f97049e4a4cc073eea2dae2.jpg611-8.jpg.ba5e9e92ba373bdb0fea4380a4e9cb85.jpg608-8.jpg.792480e59a9892fe1c675a16fb7200af.jpg610-8.jpg.a9cbc2e27a8825ad3db023fd599ca2e7.jpg

609-8.jpg

613-8.jpg

Yes RM = righting moment not "rich man" 

RM = k * L * D * W * W = k * L^ 4

Righting Moment is one of the few functions that scales to the 4th power 

On 3/14/2020 at 6:52 AM, Kenny Dumas said:

RM = k * L * D * W * W = k * L^ 4

Righting Moment is one of the few functions that scales to the 4th power 

In phantasy university, In plain words it's force times the length of the arm, leverage..
moment.PNG.e87d98c6bb793d3dc66fee6bcf956e17.PNG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque#Defining_terminology
That's why a wing gives so much more speed.
It doesn't need the long mast.