Roleur

Unofficial Salish Sea 2020 Short-handed Race Schedule

Below is the list of short-handed race options for the Salish Sea (basically Seattle to Vancouver) that I'm aware of.  Please reply with any that I've missed and I will update the list.  

image.png.89e23ec76d5d0504b711e23946819473.png

I count 11 races that are either specifically for short-handed racers, or will have dedicated DH divisions along with fully crewed divisions.  

The newest race on my radar is the SYC Double Dipper in September.  Shilshole to Port Ludlow on Saturday.  Port Ludlow to Shilshole on Sunday.  Sort of a mini version of Race to the Straits.  Last year was the first year.  I haven't been able to tell, did they do a pursuit start like RTTS?  The clever part for those that aren't based in Seattle is there is the STYC J&J race the weekend before, so you could deliver to Shilshole and get 3 days of dedicated DH racing over 2 weekends.  

• Like 1

Just saw a note that the Vendee Saltspring has been moved to July 11 & 12 so that it does not interfere with the SIN Regatta and M242 NA Championships.

Tiddly Cove Yacht Club also puts on their single-handed Passage Island Race (cancelled this year due to COVID).

They also run a Sailor of the Year challenge which is scored based on your best Single Handed, Double Handed, and Fully Crewed TCYC race.

@Roleur The Double Dipper also goes around Blake Island.  So Day 1 is Shilshole, Blake Island, Port Ludlow.  Day 2 is the reverse.  It's the same miles as RTTS but there is a much greater chance of getting both upwind and downwind legs on both days.

I heard there was an unofficial social distancing crew must live with you race last weekend out of Shilshole, but I didn't see any details except for photos after the fact.

Well it doesn’t sound like much racing into June.   Is this what everyone is hearing?

I just saw Hamachi posted on their Facebook page the Salish 200.  Up to 5 crew max, starts in Port Townsend, around the San Juan’s then down around Vashon Island and back to the start.  50 hour cut off.  Seems like an intriguing adventure.  

F0A63BAC-8371-4E42-9D63-8E2327140274.png

Round Orcas is happening in June. 11 SH/DH entrants so far.  

Seems like Vendee Salt Spring must have been cancelled in July?  The link is gone.

Definitely thinking about Salish 200 now. 

Round Orcas is up to 18 entrants, which is great this far out. 

If you haven’t heard, the Windermere Regatta in Anacortes in June is now mostly SH/DH, which while it is buoy racing it will be DH friendly. 

I suspect Shaw Island Classic and PITCH will have a lot of DH entries as well. 

Interesting times. Who would have thought a pandemic was the way to get more DH races in the Salish Sea?

Seems like this race is destined to be cancelled.  San Juan County does not want visitors right now.  Do you think this is going to change soon?   It doesn’t sound like things will change to me, given our governor’s very conservative approach to handling the virus.  I live in Olympia and we had 3 cases last week for the entire county, yet no changes seem to be on the horizon.  Frustrating that the entire state seems to have to live by the policy’s set for King County.  

6 minutes ago, Rainy Day Sailor said:

Seems like this race is destined to be cancelled.  San Juan County does not want visitors right now.  Do you think this is going to change soon?   It doesn’t sound like things will change to me, given our governor’s very conservative approach to handling the virus.  I live in Olympia and we had 3 cases last week for the entire county, yet no changes seem to be on the horizon.  Frustrating that the entire state seems to have to live by the policy’s set for King County.  

It won't be cancelled.  That said, there may not be any overnight moorage, but there is nothing against boats sailing around the islands.  And yes, we do expect things to change in the next month.  We've only had one new case in the last 5 weeks, so Phase 2 may be imminent.  I don't see that San Juan County is living by King County's guidelines at all.  Our policies seem to be specific to our island community with almost no medical facilities.  

FYI, 1 week ago there were 58 boats anchored in Echo Bay on Sucia.  

The Pt. Roberts Race next weekend (after Memorial Day Weekend) is on!  Took until now to get the green light, but registration is open and boats are signing up.  64 miles of fun and the first or second real race of the year for most of us in the area.  Looking forward to it.  How about Quantum Leap?  Endangered Species?  After missing out on Southern Straits, the Patos Island Race, and Swiftsure, this is a great way to start the summer race season.

On 5/11/2020 at 6:14 PM, Rainy Day Sailor said:

Well it doesn’t sound like much racing into June.   Is this what everyone is hearing?

I just saw Hamachi posted on their Facebook page the Salish 200.  Up to 5 crew max, starts in Port Townsend, around the San Juan’s then down around Vashon Island and back to the start.  50 hour cut off.  Seems like an intriguing adventure.  

F0A63BAC-8371-4E42-9D63-8E2327140274.png

Seriously doubt many will finish within 50 hours....

We are going to give the Salish 200 a go.  It may turn into a 100 miler, but the course is set up for that to work well.  I know of 6 boats faster than our J/111 that are interested, so I think there is some chance boats will make the 200.  

As for racing in June, our next 5 weekends are booked.  

Pt. Roberts Race

OIYC Opening Day Pursuit Race

Windermere Cup

Round Orcas

Sailish 200

All of these are predominantly DH races with some 5 crew or less entries.  

Looking forward to a summer of racing.

• Like 1

The organizers of the RNSA race had to shut down registration yesterday as they have topped out at the recommended 50 entrants. We have 26 SH boats and 24 DH entrants, including a OD fleet of 7 Melges 24s. With PHRF ratings from 244 to -12 and a pursuit start, this may be one of the longest start sequences we have seen around here in a very long time.

Should be an interesting day on the water next Saturday!

• Like 2

Round Orcas is now up to 37 registered boats.  Last year we 17 boats.  Also a pursuit start.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:59 AM, Goatish said:

The organizers of the RNSA race had to shut down registration yesterday as they have topped out at the recommended 50 entrants. We have 26 SH boats and 24 DH entrants, including a OD fleet of 7 Melges 24s. With PHRF ratings from 244 to -12 and a pursuit start, this may be one of the longest start sequences we have seen around here in a very long time.

Should be an interesting day on the water next Saturday!

Glad I'm at the high end of that spectrum :) enjoy sleeping in.

The Pt. Roberts Race was a success and plenty challenging with lots of sporty conditions.  Too bad more boats didn't enter, but understandable since the race wasn't officially a go until 2 weeks before the start.  We saw 3-21 knots upwind and 0-21 knots downwind.  Had a sweet ride from Lummi Rocks to Pt. Bob in 10-21 from behind and then a bumpy bash back to Lummi before we were able to crack off a little with lighter breeze and flatter water.  The ride back up from the south end of Lummi to the finish was sweet too.  Chris made the super call to go with the A3 in case things got even more sporty.  Turned out were at 90 degrees apparent from Eliza to the finish in 10-17 kts, so the A3 was perfect.  Even had to douse a bit before the finish as we got headed and wiped out twice trying to lay the finish (at 2am!).  Really great experience and lots of new conditions for us on our new boat.  

82186951_177173283766286_2924626493805953024_o.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roleur said:

The Pt. Roberts Race was a success and plenty challenging with lots of sporty conditions.  Too bad more boats didn't enter, but understandable since the race wasn't officially a go until 2 weeks before the start.  We saw 3-21 knots upwind and 0-21 knots downwind.  Had a sweet ride from Lummi Rocks to Pt. Bob in 10-21 from behind and then a bumpy bash back to Lummi before we were able to crack off a little with lighter breeze and flatter water.  The ride back up from the south end of Lummi to the finish was sweet too.  Chris made the super call to go with the A3 in case things got even more sporty.  Turned out were at 90 degrees apparent from Eliza to the finish in 10-17 kts, so the A3 was perfect.  Even had to douse a bit before the finish as we got headed and wiped out twice trying to lay the finish (at 2am!).  Really great experience and lots of new conditions for us on our new boat.  

Looking good! 

Glad things worked out.  All is quiet in terms of racing in the south sound.  Enjoy the new ride. 

A very successful short handed race event held last Saturday in Vancouver organized by West Vancouver Yacht Club and Royal Naval Sailing Association. Race report posted on www.sailish.com with photos from many sources, most from Drew Mitchell of North Sails. 

Any news or updates on Down The Sound?  Is it going to happen?  

I'm told an announcement will be made on whether it is a go or no this week.

Roleur, give us your report from the Salish 200.  I was wishing we could have gave it a go but there was too much going on with the family.  Maybe next year. 

Yep, definitely some good highlights due to the amazing breeze for the end of June:

• About 20 boats started from PT.  Only 2 went south, the rest north for the San Juan 100 first.
  • Only 2 boats finished the Salish 200, the two fastest boats, Dark Star and Ocelot.  Dark Star went north first and finished the 200 first, sailing double-handed.  
  • For the boats that went north we had 20-30 from the start to Rosario Strait.  Everyone was reefed as we crossed the Straits on a very close reach.  
  • The breeze got funky from James Island to the east side of Orcas as it got dark.  The fastest boat (18 PHRF or faster) got through pretty easily and were gone.  The rest of parked up for a bit in no wind and foul current listening to the music from a house party along the shore.  
  • Once we cleared Pt. Lawrence on the east side of Orcas we had good to awesome breeze the rest of the way around to the finish.  
  • We saw 20-30 again crossing the Straits to the finish.  My wife hit a new speed record of 16.7 kts coming in to PT.  Pretty stoked with that, given we've only had the boat for 2 months.
  • We finished the San Juan 100 in only 18 hours.  I think Dark Star did it in close to 12 hours and they completed the 200 in about 36 hours.  
  • Another highlight was that we sailed across the Straits 4 times in 48 hours faster than we could motor.  
  • This race may have inspired people to sign up for Northern Century which is seeing one of, if not the largest entry list ever. 

Pretty astounding conditions for the summer.

That sounds awesome thanks for the report.  Always fun to get your top boat speed.  We are considering the northern century on my friends f-28 “trickster”. We are hoping to do r2ak next year and this would be a great tune up.  

Did you have plans originally of going for the 200 or were you thinking right from the start of only doing the San Juan 100?  

On 7/17/2020 at 7:36 AM, Rainy Day Sailor said:

Did you have plans originally of going for the 200 or were you thinking right from the start of only doing the San Juan 100?  

I think most of the boats entertained the idea of the 200.  I believe all of the boats that finished the 100 ahead of us attempted the 200 (18 PHRF and faster).  Aside from Dark Star only one other boat made it past Shilshole and they gave up the next morning as they passed Shilshole going north.  Certainly the northern 100 offered far better breeze on this weekend.  For us, coming from the San Juans, we weren't going south of PT unless we had high confidence it would be a good sail down south.  

There are already 3 trimarans registered for NC100.  Pretty sure 4 would be a record.

On 7/15/2020 at 8:03 AM, Rainy Day Sailor said:

Any news or updates on Down The Sound?  Is it going to happen?  

Down the Sound is on.  It will be a one day event, but still and SH/DH and a pursuit race.  Seems like a reasonable alternative given the situation.  Hopefully, there is enough time to get a good turn out.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:19 AM, Roleur said:

Down the Sound is on.  It will be a one day event, but still and SH/DH and a pursuit race.  Seems like a reasonable alternative given the situation.  Hopefully, there is enough time to get a good turn out.

There is 22 entries so far as of Thursday afternoon.

Darn we made plans to go cruise for the weekend.   Oh well next year   Have fun, I hope there is a good turn out.