On The Hard

Cars you dream about owning someday

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, dacapo said:

you post that and no pic... shame...  shame on you, shame on your ancestors ,  Dishonor on your whole family! 

if dodge did that, they sell a few , i'm guessing..

 

img-20181029-133742-1540919603.jpg?resiz

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like ALL the Big 3 muscle car reincarnations, and I've been a Chevy guy my whole life, but, man oh man, Chrysler has NAILED it w/the Challenger and Charger.  4 doors CAN be cool! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you post that and no pic... shame...  shame on you, shame on your ancestors ,  Dishonor on your whole family! 

if dodge did that, they sell a few , i'm guessing..

 

img-20181029-133742-1540919603.jpg?resiz

mea culpa ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you post that and no pic... shame...  shame on you, shame on your ancestors ,  Dishonor on your whole family! 

if dodge did that, they sell a few , i'm guessing..

 

img-20181029-133742-1540919603.jpg?resiz

That fixes the one thing that was wrong with the original Charger - it's size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1966 427 Cobra ccobra.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you post that and no pic... shame...  shame on you, shame on your ancestors ,  Dishonor on your whole family! 

LOL, seene Mullan lateley?                                 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

LOL, seene Mullan lateley?                                 :)

not the new one, i heard they took the captain out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

1966 427 Cobra ccobra.jpg

But would you ever fell safe pushing it hard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trovão said:

i'll give a hint - it's in the model's name (karmann ghia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrozzeria_Ghia);)

There were many designers associated with the COACHBUILDING firm of Ghia, though some were designed in-house.

Return hint to you:-

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1ASUC_enAU593AU593&sxsrf=ALeKk00EqmQ7AqGNrONM2fFMjCAz4Qz3PQ%3A1583441199605&ei=L2VhXpXVJLOR4-EPtsSVEA&q=ghia+designers&oq=ghia+designers&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i30.12925.12925..13470...0.1..0.199.199.0j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.nsClVGlaxl8&ved=0ahUKEwjVqOaRmoToAhWzyDgGHTZiBQIQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

carrozzeria

[karrottseˈria]
FEMININE NOUN
1. (Automobiles) (rivestimento) bodywork  body  coachwork (British)
carrozzeria portante chassis
2. (Automobiles) (officina) body shop

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you post that and no pic... shame...  shame on you, shame on your ancestors ,  Dishonor on your whole family! 

if dodge did that, they sell a few , i'm guessing..

 

img-20181029-133742-1540919603.jpg?resiz

Having owned a 69 Charger...these iterations remind me of taking a classic song and putting it to Hip/Hop or Rap.   Just does not look, sound or feel right.    Yea I know...get off my lawn..yada yada yada.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, warbird said:

But would you ever fell safe pushing it hard?

Just starting one is unsafe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

1966 427 Cobra ccobra.jpg

Love the car, for a collection this, for a driver, I would go with a Factory Five.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, warbird said:

But would you ever fell safe pushing it hard?

gotta find out....a guy in my HS (class of 67) had a red one. The parking lot had other assorted tricked out Vets and muscle cars of the day probably worth a million these days. The Cobra boy died in the early 70's wrapped it around a tree ....I had a 61 VW :) and spun that out on a wet curve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of these for a year or so in the UK in 93/94 before I moved to the USA and had to sell it. 

I'd buy one tomorrow if I had the dosh (and a good Italian mechanic nearby.)

1991 Maserati 430.  A serious sleeper.

Image result for maserati 430

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, warbird said:

But would you ever fell safe pushing it hard?

On a track... yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nacradriver said:

On a track... yes

I watched Vic Edelbrock trying to herd his original 427 around Westwood at The Last Race.

It was a full comp car with huge slicks but whenever he tried to get it out of a corner all it did was spin the wheels - couldn't get any power down until it was pointed straight and moving.

Point and squirt.

I'd much rather have a 289 FIA. I almost bought one once - Webers on a 289, side pipes, flared fenders etc.

I felt it was too overpriced at $7200. :rolleyes:

Too soon old, too late smart - isn't that the saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 7:25 AM, Snaggletooth said:

1969-alfa-romeo-1750-gtv-1.jpg

Thisse worke?                           :)

Bumped this just because it's so beautiful. All-aluminium DOHC engine with two huge Weber carbs, double brake servos and big discs all round, a 5-speed gearbox ( back when only Ferrari-type cars had 5), the best gear change ever, safe excellent handling.

My GTV was slightly lowered, had slightly wider 5-spoke wheels, small corner bumpers in front, no ugly wing mirrors on the doors. And I could fit a Vox AC30 amp and two guitar cases in the trunk.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

 

Too soon old, too late smart - isn't that the saying?

.....or as ex MIL used to refer to me "too smart by half ":lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I watched Vic Edelbrock trying to herd his original 427 around Westwood at The Last Race.

It was a full comp car with huge slicks but whenever he tried to get it out of a corner all it did was spin the wheels - couldn't get any power down until it was pointed straight and moving.

Point and squirt.

I'd much rather have a 289 FIA. I almost bought one once - Webers on a 289, side pipes, flared fenders etc.

I felt it was too overpriced at $7200. :rolleyes:

Too soon old, too late smart - isn't that the saying?

 

just goes to show how good a driver Carroll Shelby was , wining races with one of those..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m somewhat surprised this hasn’t come up. Have always wanted one. Fortunately my son is building a Haynes Roadster and it should be auto cross ready by the end of this month. Less than 1400 lb, 2 liter Ford engine and a Miata transmission. It’s going to be fun!

5C9BE015-246A-43A6-8A26-F200206D6216.thumb.jpeg.2205d8db937d826e37da75cd5b685ec6.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I covet a MB SLK350 for my next toy car.  302 HP.

 

Vehicle Full Photo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 6:43 AM, BravoBravo said:

shhift.jpg

 

Looks like your overheating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

 

just goes to show how good a driver Carroll Shelby was , wining races with one of those..

Shelby didn't drive them - he retired due to heart problems before he started building the Cobra.

Also, they raced the 289, not the 427.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 3 favorite cars I will likely NEVER own (unless I win the Lotto.)

Aston Martin One-77

Aston Martin Vulcan

and the Aston Martin DB5.

Ok.... I've always wanted to be Bond.  Leave me alone.

aston-martin-one-77-for-sale_100562151_h.jpg

Aston-Martin-Vulcan.jpg

li1269170_t5e2911.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Shelby didn't drive them - he retired due to heart problems before he started building the Cobra.

Also, they raced the 289, not the 427.

With out looking it up, I am pretty sure Shelby was a driver , perhaps before the AC Shelby collaboration. A chicken farmer too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, warbird said:

With out looking it up, I am pretty sure Shelby was a driver , perhaps before the AC Shelby collaboration. A chicken farmer too?

He won Le Mans in '59 while chewing nitro pills like candy - then he hung his helmet up.

That was when he started working towards building the Cobra. Obviously he drove them but not in anger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warbird said:

With out looking it up, I am pretty sure Shelby was a driver , perhaps before the AC Shelby collaboration. A chicken farmer too?

 

38 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

He won Le Mans in '59 while chewing nitro pills like candy - then he hung his helmet up.

That was when he started working towards building the Cobra. Obviously he drove them but not in anger.

Right , he was a driver,  then a builder, promoter etc. My youngest daughter is Shelby :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, warbird said:

With out looking it up, I am pretty sure Shelby was a driver , perhaps before the AC Shelby collaboration. A chicken farmer too?

i looked it up, he didn't drive the cobra,    but he did drive a MG-TC,  Maserati,  Ferrari, etc..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're interested there's a documentary about him on Netflix.

IIRC it's called Shelby American.

Dan Gurney had a good comment about him - "He didn't suffer from an excess of honesty" (or words to that effect).

Said with a smile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, warbird said:

But would you ever fell safe pushing it hard?

I have a 1975, I rarely drive it because of what you write there, it's a death trap ... no crumple zone, no diversion to keep the engine from sliding into the cab, no shoulder harnesses, no roll bar, no top. It's just a dohc airplane engine shoved into a lightweight rally car.

Instead I drive the little 2013 Mazda 2 that I got for my away-from-home daughter. It looks like an economy car, but it drives like a really good roadster.

A lot of those classic cars drive like dog shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 6:25 PM, 42 South said:

Hadn't seen one of those before, but a beautiful body - designer?

I lot of people dish the Porsche Boxster, but it has been one of the best investments we ever made and after three years of ownership haven't spent a cent on any mechanical issues other than routine service - and the sound of that flat six is something else

 

Bothwell.jpg.439c1b03cb467fc72ffffa2a41b65267.jpg

 

 

Couldn't agree more.

1821290003_IMG_0337copy.thumb.jpg.6ecae92f0cf83d58de484feaf5212913.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 4:08 PM, CyberBOB said:

Love the car, for a collection this, for a driver, I would go with a Factory Five.

 

Why Factory five?  A friend had an ERA big block and a small block narrower body model, and he said that ERA were superior to all the others?  Could be like a Ford vs. Chevy argument!! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 3:31 PM, warbird said:

But would you ever fell safe pushing it hard?

 

One of my mates had his 427 ERA up to 160 on Route, with another mate as passenger.  Got pulled over by a state cop, but just a verbal warning.  The passenger had some political pull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monsoon said:

 

Couldn't agree more.

1821290003_IMG_0337copy.thumb.jpg.6ecae92f0cf83d58de484feaf5212913.jpg

Even though I am German, I am an anglophile with cars.   Respect, but do not covet, Porsches.  The Boxster, on the other hand, was different.   IMHO one of the nicest driving (balanced) and sounding modern Porsches that has come out of Stuttgart.  Flame away when ready.

Nothing, however, beats the Jag/Triumph/MG etc exhaust symphony...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sail69 said:

Even though I am German, I am an anglophile with cars.   Respect, but do not covet, Porsches.  The Boxster, on the other hand, was different.   IMHO one of the nicest driving (balanced) and sounding modern Porsches that has come out of Stuttgart.  Flame away when ready.

Nothing, however, beats the Jag/Triumph/MG etc exhaust symphony...

Way back in 1976 my first car was a 1969 GT6+.  Very hard to find a decent GT6 these days. Boxsters are are a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 4:08 PM, CyberBOB said:

Love the car, for a collection this, for a driver, I would go with a Factory Five.

IIRC, the 289 is faster on a road course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sail69 said:

Even though I am German, I am an anglophile with cars.   Respect, but do not covet, Porsches.  The Boxster, on the other hand, was different.   IMHO one of the nicest driving (balanced) and sounding modern Porsches that has come out of Stuttgart.  Flame away when ready.

Nothing, however, beats the Jag/Triumph/MG etc exhaust symphony...

I drive a friend's Boxster on occasion. As a pure sports car, my old 914 was better, but for any use involving heat, air conditioning, defrosting, ABS, or being able to hear the radio the Boxster is awesome :D :D  It really is everything I loved about a mid engine car plus modern technology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 6:33 AM, Henley Hornbrook said:

1991 BMW 318is , I regret selling the one I had 

 

318is.jpg

So I went out and acquired one this weekend 

 

 

318is.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotus esprit sport 350....  would be nice....:)

 

image.thumb.png.f047293b22772a5d13f902f32115fe35.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can fit in it.

Chapman's biggest failing, aside from making everything too light on his street cars, was making them of a size that no-one bigger than his 5'5" could fit in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

If you can fit in it.

Chapman's biggest failing, aside from making everything too light on his street cars, was making them of a size that no-one bigger than his 5'5" could fit in.

This. At 5’11 and size 12 feet, I could not come close. Thought about buying an Esprit back in 86. Sitting height too tall to fit under the roof and feet large enough that I covered both brake and clutch or brake and throttle with one foot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Henley Hornbrook said:

So I went out and acquired one this weekend 

 

 

318is.JPG

Look at this!  Taking action and making it happen.  Hope this thread helped.  
 

enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I drive a friend's Boxster on occasion. As a pure sports car, my old 914 was better, but for any use involving heat, air conditioning, defrosting, ABS, or being able to hear the radio the Boxster is awesome :D :D  It really is everything I loved about a mid engine car plus modern technology.

So this weekend we travelled over to the west coast of Tassie across some of the best driving roads in the country. She’s a bit dirty but that’s because we just did 40kms on dirt roads. That mid engine and excellent balance 47/53 is just so easy to control. 
A5F26F83-E606-4396-B2F3-AE4DB8E3D601.jpeg.ae4c832a47ba1bcdc0d92ba8f1f7b3cb.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

This. At 5’11 and size 12 feet, I could not come close. Thought about buying an Esprit back in 86. Sitting height too tall to fit under the roof and feet large enough that I covered both brake and clutch or brake and throttle with one foot. 

I tried out a Super Seven once.

The top of the windshield was level with my chin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I tried out a Super Seven once.

The top of the windshield was level with my chin.

Get rid of the windshield and use a aero screen, or brooklands screens. You get less wind buffeting as well.

My mates at 6'3" and 6'2" respectively manage to squeeze themselves in with some regularity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 42 South said:

 That mid engine and excellent balance 47/53 is just so easy to control. 
 

A mate and his father won the regularity section of Targa Tas for several years in a row in a boxster - a big part of that was how easy it was to maintain speed in the car. (And how reliable it was). Almost boring to drive at 9/10ths and decent speeds.

A lotus 7 type has much greater sense of speed, and seems more of an adventure. You need to be young and dumb to drive one hard on Tasmanian roads though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 1:24 PM, BravoBravo said:

1966 427 Cobra ccobra.jpg

Looks like it owes something to the MGA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dog said:

Looks like it owes something to the MGA

both beauties !...I used to love the old XKE's but for some reason not so much these days....I'd rather have one of these they seem to have stood the test of time better to my eye...my dads friend had one back in the day

JagX.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If you can fit in it.

Chapman's biggest failing, aside from making everything too light on his street cars, was making them of a size that no-one bigger than his 5'5" could fit in.

I'm. 6'1" and 130kg, my daily driver is a 2009 lotus elise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last one of these I recall being sold went for over 1mil... Guess I'll never be getting one.. 

 

 

xy-falcon-gt-ho-the-big-three.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People here on SA really seem to love the Porsche Boxters.

While I really have no opinion on the car itself (never driven one), they seem cheap as chips locally.  What am I missing?

The maintenance I hear is the reason.  Even as a DYI guy, the parts and schedule are supposed to be quite daunting.

I'm with @austin1972 , the FJ40 is the way to go.   To each their own.  Enjoy your zippy Porsches!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bowman81 said:

I'm. 6'1" and 130kg, my daily driver is a 2009 lotus elise. 

Chapman died 38 years ago - I don't think he had a lot of input into that car. :D

The Esprit was built under his guidance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Windward said:

People here on SA really seem to love the Porsche Boxters.

While I really have no opinion on the car itself (never driven one), they seem cheap as chips locally.  What am I missing?

The maintenance I hear is the reason.  Even as a DYI guy, the parts and schedule are supposed to be quite daunting.

I'm with @austin1972 , the FJ40 is the way to go.   To each their own.  Enjoy your zippy Porsches!  

A friend has had one for years. Fun sport car for tight windy roads. Less so on bigger roads.

Service can be Porsche ridiculous. $800 oil changes - supposedly because it's a dry sump. :rolleyes:

Servicing is mostly from underneath as well so not shade tree friendly unless your tree has a hoist attached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Windward said:

People here on SA really seem to love the Porsche Boxters.

While I really have no opinion on the car itself (never driven one), they seem cheap as chips locally.  What am I missing?

The maintenance I hear is the reason.  Even as a DYI guy, the parts and schedule are supposed to be quite daunting.

I'm with @austin1972 , the FJ40 is the way to go.   To each their own.  Enjoy your zippy Porsches!  

They sold a bunch of Boxters 1999-2005, the first water cooled engines and IMS bearing years.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing_issue All flat 6 engines of that era have the IMS bearing failure “stink” on them. Only had catastrophic failures on a small percentage,  but those that fail are a $15,000 rebuild. Only way to be sure if it’s had a fix is to drop the transaxle and pull the flywheel.  911s of those years (996 series) are down in the low $20K range due to the engine questions and styling of the “fried egg” headlights. Boxters run 5-10K less and are a great deal at that price. 

Parts and service are expensive but not hard for the DIY or non dealer shop. Service intervals are not excessive. At the price, an early 2000’s Boxter is a great car at a very affordable price. 

As an aside, 997 series 911s have depreciated to very good prices and are reliable enough to serve as daily drivers. My son drives one. A DIY oil change with full top grade synthetic runs him about $120 in parts/supplies. Not that hard to do but does require lifting the car on stands or a lift.  His has 67K miles now and repairs have been limited to shift cable set, coil packs and plugs, brakes, an airbag sensor ($100) and routine fluid changes.  Oil sample results report an engine in great condition.   Then there is the cost of tires..... he autocrosses it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bowman81 said:

The last one of these I recall being sold went for over 1mil... Guess I'll never be getting one.. 

 

 

xy-falcon-gt-ho-the-big-three.jpg

The laste V8 intterseptorre?                                    :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

The laste V8 intterseptorre?                                    :)

 

I think Interceptors were all Police Specials, no??

Wiki entry...

"Allan George Moffat OBE (born 10 November 1939 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada) is a Canadian-Australian racing driver known for his four championships in the Australian Touring Car Championship, six wins in the Sandown 500 and his four wins in the Bathurst 500/1000. Moffat was inducted into the V8 Supercars Hall of Fame in 1999.

Moffat and his long-time friend and rival (and later co-driver) Peter Brock are the only drivers to have won The Great Race at Bathurst in both its 500-mile and 1000-kilometre formats.

In October 2018, he was inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame.[1]""XY Falcon GT  -HO: The Big Three"

 

Looks nothing like the US spec, '65 Falcon Wagon, that Mom owned and I drove as a newly licensed 16 YO driver.  I had 3 younger brothers and she worked 7 days most weeks managing a yacht brokerage.  As soon as I got my license, she would hand me a 20 dollar bill and tell me to take my brothers to McDonald's, and don't come back for at least an hour, so she could have some brief moments of peace and quiet....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

I think Interceptors were all Police Specials, no??

That's where the name came from. Could have used Pursuit as well I guess. At least one of the Detroit companies had a "Police Pursuit Package".

As long as it's got a 440 cubic inch plant, cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension and runs on regular gas it's a cop car. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 10:19 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you post that and no pic... shame...  shame on you, shame on your ancestors ,  Dishonor on your whole family! 

if dodge did that, they sell a few , i'm guessing..

 

img-20181029-133742-1540919603.jpg?resiz

Car like that and they put in seats like this?

seats.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That's where the name came from. Could have used Pursuit as well I guess. At least one of the Detroit companies had a "Police Pursuit Package".

As long as it's got a 440 cubic inch plant, cop tires, cop shocks, cop suspension and runs on regular gas it's a cop car. ;)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dodge had a Charger concept car around the turn of the century that was freakin' gorgeous. It drew some design bits from the '71 as well as earlier models.

Don't know why they never used the body instead of that ugly fucker they have the name on now. If you look close you can see that it's even a 4 door.

image.png.4ea76ccc2b998e208828a0ae648b8a35.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

 

1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Aerosedan.

47CHV1.thumb.jpg.66e570fe4645d90b8bcf2ddd3e3e2e18.jpg47CHV2-1024x524.thumb.jpg.a3318ec949ec31497178832e85efdc7c.jpg

 

Just think of the back seat on that car and all the possibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Laker said:

Just think of the back seat on that car and all the possibilities.

Mate never thought about it . Lived it with my first car as 18yr. old.Ahh those were the days. Made a good surfin wagon as well. My one had same duco reversed.

22BFEA46-B093-417A-A7A2-A42A190E95EE.jpeg

DCE29C66-B791-4923-BE0B-99A7A5C4F5CD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Laker said:

Just think of the back seat on that car and all the possibilities.

Make a great gangster car - you could stack bodies like cordwood in that trunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

They sold a bunch of Boxters 1999-2005, the first water cooled engines and IMS bearing years.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing_issue All flat 6 engines of that era have the IMS bearing failure “stink” on them. Only had catastrophic failures on a small percentage,  but those that fail are a $15,000 rebuild. Only way to be sure if it’s had a fix is to drop the transaxle and pull the flywheel.  911s of those years (996 series) are down in the low $20K range due to the engine questions and styling of the “fried egg” headlights. Boxters run 5-10K less and are a great deal at that price. 

Parts and service are expensive but not hard for the DIY or non dealer shop. Service intervals are not excessive. At the price, an early 2000’s Boxter is a great car at a very affordable price. 

As an aside, 997 series 911s have depreciated to very good prices and are reliable enough to serve as daily drivers. My son drives one. A DIY oil change with full top grade synthetic runs him about $120 in parts/supplies. Not that hard to do but does require lifting the car on stands or a lift.  His has 67K miles now and repairs have been limited to shift cable set, coil packs and plugs, brakes, an airbag sensor ($100) and routine fluid changes.  Oil sample results report an engine in great condition.   Then there is the cost of tires..... he autocrosses it. 

Like a lot of european cars, there is a huge market outside of the traditional dealer network to get parts. When I purchased the car a few years ago I bought 10 oil filters, new drilled disc rotors all round, new pads etc etc from a well known Porsche crowd in Sydney - I get our local german trained mechanic to do the service and I supply the parts. Car is out of warranty, so no hassle with maintaining that relationship anymore and a normal oil service costs me about $AUS 250 plus whatever parts I give him. Our other cars are an X3 and a turbo Fiat 500 cab and they cost more to insure and service than Box.

The only thing I insist on is using Mobil1 oil and opening up the oil filter each time to check oil condition - we service about every 5,000Kms or 12 months.

Sure, there is the IMS issue but the risk is about 4.5% on this year model car over the life of the vehicle (not per annum), which at the discounted purchase price it is a risk I can live with - there is more chance of it being stolen or bent than the IMS going on me. The thing to do is to use them and don't let them become a garage queen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

I think Interceptors were all Police Specials, no??

Wiki entry...

"Allan George Moffat OBE (born 10 November 1939 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada) is a Canadian-Australian racing driver known for his four championships in the Australian Touring Car Championship, six wins in the Sandown 500 and his four wins in the Bathurst 500/1000. Moffat was inducted into the V8 Supercars Hall of Fame in 1999.

Moffat and his long-time friend and rival (and later co-driver) Peter Brock are the only drivers to have won The Great Race at Bathurst in both its 500-mile and 1000-kilometre formats.

In October 2018, he was inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame.[1]""XY Falcon GT  -HO: The Big Three"

 

Looks nothing like the US spec, '65 Falcon Wagon, that Mom owned and I drove as a newly licensed 16 YO driver.  I had 3 younger brothers and she worked 7 days most weeks managing a yacht brokerage.  As soon as I got my license, she would hand me a 20 dollar bill and tell me to take my brothers to McDonald's, and don't come back for at least an hour, so she could have some brief moments of peace and quiet....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_XY_Falcon_GT#GTHO_Phase_III

Billy got it mostly.  is an iconic Aussie car, with  decent track history.

The interceptor from mad max was an XB so a few years later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 42 South said:

Like a lot of european cars, there is a huge market outside of the traditional dealer network to get parts. When I purchased the car a few years ago I bought 10 oil filters, new drilled disc rotors all round, new pads etc etc from a well known Porsche crowd in Sydney - I get our local german trained mechanic to do the service and I supply the parts. Car is out of warranty, so no hassle with maintaining that relationship anymore and a normal oil service costs me about $AUS 250 plus whatever parts I give him. Our other cars are an X3 and a turbo Fiat 500 cab and they cost more to insure and service than Box.

The only thing I insist on is using Mobil1 oil and opening up the oil filter each time to check oil condition - we service about every 5,000Kms or 12 months.

Sure, there is the IMS issue but the risk is about 4.5% on this year model car over the life of the vehicle (not per annum), which at the discounted purchase price it is a risk I can live with - there is more chance of it being stolen or bent than the IMS going on me. The thing to do is to use them and don't let them become a garage queen.

Absolutely. We buy all of our supplies from secondary market suppliers. OEM coil packs for the 911 were about 50% of dealer price. The airbag sensor was over $200 from the dealer and 2-3 hours labor.  Secondary market for the OEM air bag sensor was $105 and it took us the same 2-3 hours to pull the bumper cover, change the part and put it all back together. 
 

As far as the IMS, I’d you are prepared to roll the dice, you get a big value benefit. Smart to replace it when you replace a clutch just in case. As you suggest, some folks say if you periodically drive it vigorously, it supposedly reduces the chance of a bearing failure. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Absolutely. We buy all of our supplies from secondary market suppliers. OEM coil packs for the 911 were about 50% of dealer price. The airbag sensor was over $200 from the dealer and 2-3 hours labor.  Secondary market for the OEM air bag sensor was $105 and it took us the same 2-3 hours to pull the bumper cover, change the part and put it all back together. 

A co-worker has a 911 and was pricing coil packs online today. If you have a good source I can send him to, I'd appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll ask C where he got his. 
 

edit. Been 6 months or more but he says he thinks it was ECS Tuning. Took some time to change them as you have to remove a couple of exhaust brackets and use extensions swear a bit to get a couple of try oils and plugs out.  Absolutely do the plugs at the same time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 2:14 PM, Laker said:

Just think of the back seat on that car and all the possibilities.

The possibilities in the back of my 47 Fleetmaster sedan were endless.

249584226_Scan5.thumb.jpeg.e807f18e1e858d9752a1d067671a7fa8.jpeg

 

Scan 2.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a 1948 Hudson in my past, owned by three of us.  It sure took a lot more gas than the VW 1500 notch back that was my daily driver.  Course, that was back when insurance was relatively cheap and there was no testosterone factor added to the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

The possibilities in the back of my 47 Fleetmaster sedan were endless.

249584226_Scan5.thumb.jpeg.e807f18e1e858d9752a1d067671a7fa8.jpeg

 

Scan 2.pdf

Cool ride, where is that, northland somewhere? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mitre cut said:

Cool ride, where is that, northland somewhere? 

Whitianga  Coromandel 1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

I’ll ask C where he got his. 
 

edit. Been 6 months or more but he says he thinks it was ECS Tuning. Took some time to change them as you have to remove a couple of exhaust brackets and use extensions swear a bit to get a couple of try oils and plugs out.  Absolutely do the plugs at the same time. 

awesome, thanks. I'll pass that on. Yeah, buddy is planning a bit of while you're in there projects for the car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to dream cars. No more. A good AWD 4dr Sedan with a few hundred HP is fine. 

Thanks for posting these cars, I just wish I wanted one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I used to dream cars. No more. A good AWD 4dr Sedan with a few hundred HP is fine. 

Thanks for posting these cars, I just wish I wanted one.

If I didn't know about your boat I'd say you sound like you're just waiting to die. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I used to dream cars. No more. A good AWD 4dr Sedan with a few hundred HP is fine. 

Thanks for posting these cars, I just wish I wanted one.

You have to decide if the car is your hobby or the car supports the hobby. Do you want an MG or a  wagon that can haul all your boat crap for example ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

If I didn't know about your boat I'd say you sound like you're just waiting to die. ;)

 

21 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

You have to decide if the car is your hobby or the car supports the hobby. Do you want an MG or a  wagon that can haul all your boat crap for example ;)

I live in a town with a bunch of car guys. I've driven a bunch of Ferraris, including a Daytona, and had rides in a GT40 and Bugatti, among others. My wife had a ride in a McLaren F1 (she was wearing a short dress and has great legs, the owner wanted to see her get in and out of the beast). My dad had an Aston Martin and a Rolls. My stepdad had a series of Porsches and a couple of Rolls. I've had much cooler homes and boats than either of them. I think I win. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of these once. Sometimes I think it would be cool to get another for nostalgia's sake...then I remember what a pain in the ass cars they are.

Photo-3-1973-MG-Midget-820x547.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A common interest in sports cars has kept my 25 YO son thinking I’m pretty OK for an old fart since he was 13 or 14 years old. Even made it through the puberty and unguided idiot young male period with a common interest. Lots of topics get talked about when you are wrenching under a car or planning the quickest way around a course together. 
 

as far as I’m concerned, that’s a win every time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one of these, but in black, back when I was a teenager. Luxury tank is probably the best description. Would not mind having it back. 

 

1966-Lincoln-Continental-american-classi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dog said:

I had one of these once. Sometimes I think it would be cool to get another for nostalgia's sake...then I remember what a pain in the ass cars they are.

Photo-3-1973-MG-Midget-820x547.jpg

 

I had one of these briefly.  It had been built for autocross by a body shop owner who welded the spider gears together for full lock rear end, and it was low Morris Minor gears for faster low speed racing.  Unfortunately, I was driving to work one day and the throttle stuck wide open.  I had to take my eyes of the road for a second to find the key in the middle of the dash, and we exited the road onto a berm which launched the car into the air.  I don't think it endo'd, but I was thrown free from the car, and other some battery acid spilled on my jeans, there was little injuries to my person, IIRC?  

Image result for bugeye sprite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites