On The Hard

Cars you dream about owning someday

On 8/19/2020 at 2:13 PM, Bump-n-Grind said:

bugs were a little easier to wrench on than the Sq back.  particularly if you had no idea what you were doing and your tool bag was mostly rusty crescent wrenches and vice grips

And had your spiral bound copy of "How to keep your VW alive for the complete idiot"

60's era Mercedes Unimog with tractor wheels on it

Jaguar "D" type

Porsche 917

1920's Type 35 Bugatti

A huge vintage Hispano-Suiza convertible

Ferrari 250 California

Ferrari Daytona Convertible

Shelby 427 Cobra

Mercedes Gull Wing

the list goes on.....

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Any guesses where this will end? 

I remember the first time I saw one as a kid. Walked by in a parking lot in SoCal and fell in love.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-shelby-mustang-gt350-5/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-09-01

1965_shelby_mustang_gt350_1596999752e771

Just a bump, pushing a quarter million.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Any guesses where this will end? 

I remember the first time I saw one as a kid. Walked by in a parking lot in SoCal and fell in love.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-shelby-mustang-gt350-5/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-09-01

1965_shelby_mustang_gt350_1596999752e771

226K now, and how much to ship to mainland or east coast??  I drove a Shelby 500 Mustang in Florida years ago when I was part time mate on a 50 knot Shelter Island 50. Investment Tycoon Owner had a building in West Palm with over a dozen cool cars, including a very rare old 50's racing Ferrari with a headlight in the front center.  The Mustang had great power, but the brakes and handling were for shit!!

1 hour ago, slap said:

500 HP LS3 swap ND miata.

Yeh BABY That's the shit I'm talkin' bout!!  Gives me serious WOOD!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

Yeh BABY That give me serious WOOD!

did not need to know that...seriously  :P

Just now, chester said:

did not need to know that...seriously  :P

It was a figure of speech, man!!  Must I use the purple satire font every fucking time???

• Like 1

My first vehicle was a 1950's era bread truck. Didn't get far in it... Now this one I would reconsider and just add a barstool at the helm!

30 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

It was a figure of speech, man!!  Must I use the purple satire font every fucking time???

:D yes

7 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Damn, I owned 2 of these in the past. An 83 and 88. Miss them dearly. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-ford-bronco-44/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-11-14

1996_ford_bronco_16047985321c976a628c372

Its incredible what the market is now for these, even beaters demand crazy prices.

There was a 1970's K5 Blazer on the show "Junkyard Empires" the other day.  Andy Cohen bought one with some surface rust, but solid body, for 15 grand.  Put new wheels, orange paint, new interior, removed the roof, and sold it for 30 large!!

16 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

There was a 1970's K5 Blazer on the show "Junkyard Empires" the other day.  Andy Cohen bought one with some surface rust, but solid body, for 15 grand.  Put new wheels, orange paint, new interior, removed the roof, and sold it for 30 large!!

I loved my K5, but it turned into a bit of a death trap when the frame cracked close to the steering box. The vehicle had a big dead-spot of about 30 degrees each way on the wheel, which made driving interesting until I figured out what was going on. I could not get anyone reputable to fix the frame (liability) so I ended up taking it to a grungy rollup with no sign other than "se habla espaniol" outside. They didn't have a problem welding whatever I wanted wherever I wanted and the truck went on for many more years making trips up to the mountains for skiing and backpacking. Great vehicle. 

On 9/1/2020 at 9:51 AM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

60's era Mercedes Unimog with tractor wheels on it

Jaguar "D" typeSee the source image

Porsche 917

1920's Type 35 Bugatti

A huge vintage Hispano-Suiza convertible

Ferrari 250 California 206See the source image

Ferrari Daytona Convertible

Shelby 427 Cobra GT40See the source image

Mercedes Gull Wing

the list goes on.....See the source image

5 hours ago, warbird said:

I guess if I had to pick one it would be the "D" type jag. Ferrari is sexy though. Still the 427 Cobra is just one of those cars. You get the GT40 on roids with the 917

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I guess if I had to pick one it would be the "D" type jag. Ferrari is sexy though. Still the 427 Cobra is just one of those cars. You get the GT40 on roids with the 917

my picke..............         :)

1966_ford_gt40_mk1_0194_bh.jpg

Ide race throuh the Interstate Systme pretendeng to be filmeng remacke of 'Vanisheng Pointe'                                  :)

Playeng thisse guitte offten...............                   :)

sombodey helpe me..........              :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ide race throuh the Interstate Systme pretendeng to be filmeng remacke of 'Vanisheng Pointe'                                  :)

Granted...but...to me... the 206:wub:

1 minute ago, warbird said:

Thast OK, I'll juste waite foire you at eache stoppe.                    :)

Granted,  I am less in a hurry these days.... it is the journey, not the destination...:lol:

6 hours ago, warbird said:

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

9 minutes ago, warbird said:

6 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thast OK, I'll juste waite foire you at eache stoppe.                    :)

I am not so much in a hurry these days...it is the journey, not the destination. The 206 is an early mid 60's 2 litre V6.  Likely a lovely sound at full chat.  The GT40 would likely be much faster even in the 289/306hp guise(a car worthy of lots of lust).

2 minutes ago, warbird said:

I am not so much in a hurry these days...it is the journey, not the destination.

I thick you mentte to sayr;

3 minutes ago, warbird said:

I am not so much in a hurry these days...it is the journey................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................not the destination.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, warbird said:

I am not so much in a hurry these days...it is the journey, not the destination.

Yes, but kind of like an infamous yacht designer poster here said about sailing faster boats, being more fun than slower boats.. same principal...

7 hours ago, warbird said:

1 minute ago, billy backstay said:

Yes, but kind of like an infamous yacht designer poster here said about sailing faster boats, being more fun than slower boats.. same principal...

I have a B32.  Fast is fun. I need a crew to leave the dock.  How fun is that?  The GT40 is a lovely car as I posted in#615.  More amazing is that you could buy one at your Ford dealer if you were smart.  The 206 is a lovely car as I posted in #615.  Both are "rare as hen's teeth"  I have never been a "Ferrari" guy except that 206.  Muira Lambrogini another favorite, most other Lambos, blah.  We all have favorites and the "Unimog" mention above brought a smile to my face. While this is not a "Random" thread , it is fun to see what trips everybodies trigger.

27 minutes ago, warbird said:

I have a B32.  Fast is fun. I need a crew to leave the dock.  How fun is that?  The GT40 is a lovely car as I posted in#615.  More amazing is that you could buy one at your Ford dealer if you were smart.  The 206 is a lovely car as I posted in #615.  Both are "rare as hen's teeth"  I have never been a "Ferrari" guy except that 206.  Muira Lambrogini another favorite, most other Lambos, blah.  We all have favorites and the "Unimog" mention above brought a smile to my face. While this is not a "Random" thread , it is fun to see what trips everybodies trigger.

I reckon the properly built, very high spec, performance, Austin Mini Cooper resto-mod that I have my eyes on, if it is still available, when I have the funds to pull the trigger, maybe next year, will be satisfying enough, if it ever happensl   And if suitable spare funds are available, a 2019 Miata Anniversary edition for topless sunny days...

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

slut

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

miss the bulldozer by the way, I implore you

3 hours ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Everyone who ever raced a 917 said it was the most terrifying experience of their lives.

55 minutes ago, Laker said:

0907_01_z-future_vehicles_technologies_eVaro-open_door.jpg

Everything old is new again.

image.png.24325e0efa1689751e0a61528ce10582.png

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 12:20 PM, Bus Driver said:
On 2/29/2020 at 12:03 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

or a 69 tr6

1968_triumph_tr6_152937979998764daDSC005

Next door neighbor has one, just like that.  It was up on jack-stands in his garage when we moved in.  He meticulously tore it down and rebuilt it with authentic parts.  I had the opportunity to help on a few items, and that car is perfect.  Took about 5 years, all told. 

The one thing he did that seemed odd, but makes sense, was to omit installing a pin (something like a clevis) that retains the shifter in the transmission.  It's his "anti-theft device".  Out for a drive, stops to get a 6 pack, parks it in a parking lot, off goes the ignition, out comes the shifter.

He is giving it to his kids.  New paint, and minor improvements.  Trying to convince him I am related.

IMG_1732.jpeg

IMG_20200610_133956.jpeg

Ford Falcon XY GT HO Phase III

Just 300 Phase IIIs were built and less than half are believed to survive. Vermillion Fire is the most common colour (68 built) with Onyx Black and Vintage Burgundy Metallic the rarest (one of each). Prices today hover around the $500,000 mark.

1971 Ford Falcon XY GT HO Phase III specs:
Engine: 5763cc V8, OHV, 16v
Power: 224kW @ 6150rpm
Torque: 515Nm @ 3400rpm
Weight: 1524kg
0-100km/h: 6.6sec (est)
Price: new $5250

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/1971-ford-falcon-xy-gt-ho-phase-iii-quick-history-lesson

On 11/14/2020 at 8:49 AM, billy backstay said:

geeze, in 98 I bought an '86 Bronco with 50k miles on for $1300. out another hundred on it and gave it away. Those and K5's were throw away cars to me then.  In hindsight I wish I just dropped another engine in mine and kept it.. The other one I really regret selling was a 2001 Excursion with 7.3l diesel in it. Shoulda kept it till it dissolved out from under me. i'd buy another one of those.... 

On 11/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, warbird said:

I know the first page is WAY back there, but the point of the thread was cars that a middle class shlump like me could realistically acquire, not the $1 million+ cars, or the $10 million + cars!  Sure I'd love a 50's era MB Roadster (not the gullwing), but that's not the point.

Having said that, cool stuff on this thread........................carry on..........

50 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

I know the first page is WAY back there, but the point of the thread was cars that a middle class shlump like me could realistically acquire, not the $1 million+ cars, or the $10 million + cars!  Sure I'd love a 50's era MB Roadster (not the gullwing), but that's not the point.

Having said that, cool stuff on this thread........................carry on..........

yeah, as soon as someone says anything Italian, or German that starts with a "P" my eyes roll into the back of my head. The exception to that is the old Porsche 912... looks like a 911 but has a 4 banger souped up bug motor. I priced out insurance between the two once with USAA.. any 911 with a turbo on it, my insurance would compare to real estate taxes.. the 912 only added about $500/yr to my insurance bill. it helped that I had a small fleet of cars insured with them already, and two houses.. but I drove a couple 912s, and given the roads we have to drive on here on the east coast, it woulda been a fun car to own and operate as a daily driver. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, On The Hard said:

$18k on Jalopy Journal classified,  Driver, ready for paint. SBC and auto:D Choose your colorss-l1600-jpg.4836165

18 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

yeah, as soon as someone says anything Italian, or German that starts with a "P" my eyes roll into the back of my head. The exception to that is the old Porsche 912... looks like a 911 but has a 4 banger souped up bug motor. I priced out insurance between the two once with USAA.. any 911 with a turbo on it, my insurance would compare to real estate taxes.. the 912 only added about $500/yr to my insurance bill. it helped that I had a small fleet of cars insured with them already, and two houses.. but I drove a couple 912s, and given the roads we have to drive on here on the east coast, it woulda been a fun car to own and operate as a daily driver. 

The 912 Targa with the soft rear window would be fun on a pretty day. And, I could conceivably afford this.

image.png.612453a0b7ac4e217584f9cc0196c481.png

• Like 1

I had a couple of 912's years ago.

You can get a hell of a lot more car for the required money - or less.

I bought my first from the original owner - it was a '66 and he paid more for it - 92 rampaging stallions, rubber floor mats and all - than a new big block Corvette cost.

I had a rust through in the rocker panel. When I got it fixed they pulled a soaked shop rag out of it - German quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I had a couple of 912's years ago.

You can get a hell of a lot more car for the required money - or less.

I bought my first from the original owner - it was a '66 and he paid more for it - 92 rampaging stallions, rubber floor mats and all - than a new big block Corvette cost.

I had a rust through in the rocker panel. When I got it fixed they pulled a soaked shop rag out of it - German quality.

one of of my favorite cars of all time, that I've owned, was a 914. I've  never owned a 912 ... yet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, On The Hard said:

The 912 Targa with the soft rear window would be fun on a pretty day. And, I could conceivably afford this.

image.png.612453a0b7ac4e217584f9cc0196c481.png

Did a interior out, glass out restoration on a 69 912 LWB coupe.  Big bore kit, a moderate cam and Webers and it kicked ass in autocross  - enough to make me regional champ.  Less trailing throttle oversteer than the 911's due to less weight aft and right at 2,000# overall.  Rust?  A constant issue with the steel they used.  Had to replace 1/2 the forward pan (and torsion bar mount) and deal with lots of rocker panel corrosion.  That was in 1982 on a 13 year old car. 

I did love that car but sold it when I moved overseas with a plan to pick up a euro delivery 911 when I moved back.  Instead, I married an Aussie and bought he back.  That turned into an Accord and a chrome bumper, wire wheeled  MGB.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

one of of my favorite cars of all time, that I've owned, was a 914. I've  never owned a 912 ... yet

My 914 was a much better car than the 912.

I really wanted to get a Renegade kit and put a Chevy small block in it but life intervened.

Weight wasn't the limiting factor - you had to keep it under 300 Lbs of torque or you had to put a 930 trans in.

Pretty simple to get the weight of a SBC down to reasonably close to the Porsche/VW engine - aluminium heads, intake, water pump, tube headers...

An aluminium block if you had reasonably deep pockets.

The torque  limit on the trans was the biggy.

They also made a kit for a Chevy V-6 which was probably a better choice in the real world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Did a interior out, glass out restoration on a 69 912 LWB coupe.  Big bore kit, a moderate cam and Webers and it kicked ass in autocross  - enough to make me regional champ.  Less trailing throttle oversteer than the 911's due to less weight aft and right at 2,000# overall.  Rust?  A constant issue with the steel they used.  Had to replace 1/2 the forward pan (and torsion bar mount) and deal with lots of rocker panel corrosion.  That was in 1982 on a 13 year old car. 

I did love that car but sold it when I moved overseas with a plan to pick up a euro delivery 911 when I moved back.  Instead, I married an Aussie and bought he back.  That turned into an Accord and a chrome bumper, wire wheeled  MGB.    

Sorry but most of that is pearls before swine to me.

I did notice the bolded piece, though.

NTTAWWT.

2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

Sorry but most of that is pearls before swine to me.

I did notice the bolded piece, though.

NTTAWWT.

Yeah old eyes and typing on an iPhone sucks sometimes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Yeah old eyes and typing on an iPhone sucks sometimes. 

sometimes?

• Like 1

The whole "What car would I love to own?" thing has really run the gamut through life. 

• In my teens it was a GTO or Camaro.
  • In my 20s it was an MG TD
  • In my 30s it was a Cord
  • In my 40s is was a Porche 911
  • In my 50's it was something like a BMW 6 series (I was becoming less picky)
  • Now it's something well-built, quiet, comfortable and a great road car.  I'm thinking maybe a Bentley Mulliner.  That should take me well into my 70s.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jules said:

The whole "What car would I love to own?" thing has really run the gamut through life. 

• In my teens it was a GTO or Camaro.
  • In my 20s it was an MG TD
  • In my 30s it was a Cord
  • In my 40s is was a Porche 911
  • In my 50's it was something like a BMW 6 series (I was becoming less picky)
  • Now it's something well-built, quiet, comfortable and a great road car.  I'm thinking maybe a Bentley Mulliner.  That should take me well into my 70s.

Kind of like that old joke:

When I was in my teens I just wanted a girl with big tits

in my 20's I wanted a girl who was pretty and had big tits

In my 30's I wanted a girl who was pretty and smart

In my 40's I wanted a girl who was pretty, smart and had money

In my 50's I wanted a girl who was pretty, smart and still liked to F***

Now I just want a girl who wants to F***

Or something like that...

1 hour ago, Black Jack said:

this would be too cool - Brubaker box

Screen_Shot_2020-11-18_at_1_22.07_PM.png

Fender bender?  Just stop off at Home Depot on your way home.

11 hours ago, Jules said:
  • Now it's something well-built, quiet, comfortable and a great road car.  

2021-mazda6-carbon-edition-01-1598962559

Do youselfe a favore, Mazda 6                           :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, On The Hard said:

Now I just want a girl who wants to F***

Or something like that...

2900301_1_o.jpg

6 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Do youselfe a favore, Mazda 6                           :)

When did they start coming in colours other than beige?

Or do they catch beige from their owners?

I've just been skimming back over this thread - I gotta say some of you really need to start dreaming bigger.

Re-read the thread title - cars you dream of owning, not cars you're thinking of buying for day to day.

Chris has got the idea.

On 11/14/2020 at 11:04 AM, warbird said:
On 9/1/2020 at 7:51 AM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Jaguar "D" typeSee the source image

Ferrari  206See the source image

GT40See the source image

Mercedes Gull Wing

the list goes on.....See the source image

10 minutes ago, bmiller said:

cant you kill a tank with bottles of gasoline and styrene pellets?

Yacht club tow rig?

And clear out the anchorage from all those peasant owned boats.

And one of them is even good looking, not just sort of lumpy and odd.

I would love to get a car from the early 60's that had some muscle with an engine that would let me dust off my timing light.  No anti-pollution crap, no AC, AM radio.  Something to drive on weekends in the summer and work on, a car that you can actually work on.  

Something like a 1963 Dodge Dart GT, a Wolf in Sheep's clothing:

e5f865d935feb291d9a3b2e5cfbda78f.jpg

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I would love to get a car from the early 60's that had some muscle with an engine that would let me dust off my timing light.  No anti-pollution crap, no AC, AM radio.  Something to drive on weekends in the summer and work on, a car that you can actually work on.  

So were these

image.png.24760a296256a82fdffa87f702c1b9c6.png

image.png.fcc9c2836da9e097298c642239b1ff72.png

3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

That thing looks like a high end resto-mod, particularly with that custom plate.

Bring $$$ - 6 figures probably, even DIY.

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Damn.  If that were Danny DeVito, she'd be poking him in the eye.

I had a short friend who used to say:

Nose to nose, my toes are in.

Toes to toes, my nose is in.  

On 11/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, Cal20sailor said:
On 11/20/2020 at 4:45 PM, Bus Driver said:

Damn.  If that were Danny DeVito, she'd be poking him in the eye.

I had a short friend who used to say:

Nose to nose, my toes are in.

Toes to toes, my nose is in.  

My Dad once said "When a short man dances with tall woman, he gets bust in the mouth."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

My Dad once said "When a short man dances with tall woman, he gets bust in the mouth."

I thought that was an old Chinese proverb.

On 11/20/2020 at 9:35 AM, billy backstay said:

"Perky", indeed!!

I wonder if he has matching port and starboard bruises ...

On 11/20/2020 at 9:54 AM, Cal20sailor said:

Public Service Announcement for classic iron freaks:

Muscle Car City is closing and most of the collection will be auctioned, per the owner's post this morning on FB.

Muscle Car City closing,
Word is spreading like wild fire and I want to explain what’s happening, I with heavy heart have decided it’s time to retire and Muscle Car City this year is going backwards because of COVID and lack of international tourists. It’s been a great 14 years for The business I’ve loved every minute of it, but I am 72 and beginning to feel like it. I will close on January 17th. And Mecum auctions will be selling about 3/4 of my collection and the rest I will take home and it will become my private toy box again. The auction will take place on January 22 and 23 I will be selling about 200 very fine cars, if there is anything in the collection you really like, now is the time entire collection in museum will be sold no reserve as well as all memorabilia. Thank everyone for all the support over the years I will leave Sting Rays bar and grill open and after it all settles will possibly do shows and Swap meets through that business, but for right now will be concentrating on getting the Museum closed and the space it’s taking up leased. When we decide how to proceed it will be on our site and Sting rays and my personal Facebook and social media. Swap meet for December will be on as usual and January car show will also happen, after that the cars will be sold.
Thanks all fo the great run
Rick

4 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

Public Service Announcement for classic iron freaks:

Muscle Car City is closing and most of the collection will be auctioned, per the owner's post this morning on FB.

We used to have drinks with him at the old Hacienda.  A nicer guy than his partner.

I'm trying to convince my boss to do the same.  They are the same age.

They made a bunch of money in the long term storage of construction debris.  I hope that the abandoned one on Jones Loop at Shell Creek does not hurt the WOTUS.

I got one of mine this fall. It was 20 years in the making.  All it took was for my son to quit college and enlist in the Navy. 

320 horsepower @ 29XX lbs, 6 speed manual, 0 to 60 in 4.6, all the worry taken care of and now all for me. Took the sting out of so much set backs, not racing the boat and general  lack socialization this year. 

• Like 1

Thinking now to swap out the WRX for a Hi Performance Resto-Mod Mini, and a Honda S2000.  On the very rare occasion I have more than one passenger, I've got Missus BB's 16 YO X3 Beamer.

16 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

We used to have drinks with him at the old Hacienda.  A nicer guy than his partner.

I'm trying to convince my boss to do the same.  They are the same age.

They made a bunch of money in the long term storage of construction debris.  I hope that the abandoned one on Jones Loop at Shell Creek does not hurt the WOTUS.

You mean Bruce? A friend had a T-shirt made with his mug shot. LMAO when I saw it.

My neighbors have worked for Rick for a long time. He's a good boss. One works in the restaurant, I guess the other will be looking for work soon.

Jones Loop is nowhere near Shell Creek, one reason Wash Loop is way better! ;)

This is the one I kick myself in the ass for routinely.

The true little old lady story. My dad was working at a local service station, this lady brought her 1966 Chevy Malibu in for regular service work. IT had 30K or so miles on it.  When it came time to sell it she asked my dad to find a buyer, she wanted $500. At the time, 1976, it wasn't a big deal to sell it for that much, not like I robbed her or anything.

I drove it through high school making mods along the way, which I now know only reduced it's value. I sold it for a small profit when I needed a truck.

I'd give most anything to have it back. What a fucking idiot I was.

20201221_102043-XL.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bmiller said:

This is the one I kick myself in the ass for routinely.

The true little old lady story. My dad was working at a local service station, this lady brought her 1966 Chevy Malibu in for regular service work. IT had 30K or so miles on it.  When it came time to sell it she asked my dad to find a buyer, she wanted $500. At the time, 1976, it wasn't a big deal to sell it for that much, not like I robbed her or anything.

I drove it through high school making mods along the way, which I now know only reduced it's value. I sold it for a small profit when I needed a truck.

I'd give most anything to have it back. What a fucking idiot I was.

20201221_102043-XL.jpg