On The Hard

Cars you dream about owning someday

I'm really not looking for pics of a $2 million Bugatti or modern supercars. Really interested in under the radar cars that you still wish you had.

I'd love a '71 Mercedes 280 SL and a 1958 Corvette, but everyone wants those and the prices reflect it. I'll start with a '65 Buick Riviera. (I still think those headlight covers are sexy!)

69754982-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=68

• Like 2

I'd love an old school manual BMW M3.  A subaru WRX would be fun too.

i got cheap tastes

first pick I want back my 66 ford mustang 200ci straight six with a 4 speed,  or my old 1980 el camino, hell I even enjoyed 84 fiero GT, or my 94 impalla ss  pretty sure I can get any of those car for under 10K  easy...  but i want a boat too...so...gotta pick the hobby

I want the 66 Chevelle Malibu I had back in high school. Before I fucked it up.

It was the true little old lady car. I paid $500 for it.

I'm an idiot.

17 minutes ago, sailingk8 said:

I'd love an old school manual BMW M3.  A subaru WRX would be fun too.

I have a 2.5 2013 wide body WRX 5 spd manual, awesome car, and also great for towing dinghies, doesn’t even know the trailer is there, the economy  sucks a bit though especially when you have 2 boats on the trailer. It is amazingly cheap on tyres because of the AWD.

Also would love an M3, or a A45 AMG Merc or an S4 Audi, but don’t think you can put a tow bar on the Merc so  that probably rules it out.

As of now I have a 1968 beetle drop top.What I really want is a 1969 hemi road runner519E07A5-AD68-4AB8-B9EE-0C22F52795A7.thumb.jpeg.26d412d2fb7870a42d099495230396be.jpeg

• Like 2

Austin-Healey 3000 Mk. III 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, On The Hard said:

That Riv was Bill Mitchell's masterpiece IMO.

To think he was designing that bit of tasteful elegance when this was being built & sold.

image.thumb.png.2fe939cbee6f995d6048e92b45271b23.png

I want the first car I bought back again.

1965-Jaguar-E-type-Series-I-FHC-Rear.jpg

• Like 3

So many cars, so little time.  

Maybe a Sunbeam Tiger driver  for sunny days.  I used to autocross one when i was in college (not mine.  Belonged to a friend). 260 V-8 grunt would be a lot different than the S-2000 that is currently in the garage for nice day driving.    

For legging it out on the highway?  Really hard to choose between a really competent GT car or a reliable supercar (new NSX).  Fun all around fun, a 69 LWB 911T is a great option but collectors have driven good ones to $150K.  Really sorry I sold the one I had back in 85.  Never going to afford another.    

I built a 6 car garage for a reason.  Just need the coin to fill it.  

• Like 1

I had a Mini Cooper S Rally 'back in the day.' 

Most fun you could have on four wheels, especially honking round the twisty country lanes in the Isle of Wight.  You just had to hope you didn't meet a tractor towing a load of hay round the next bend.

Something like this one.  But without the light on the roof.

Image result for mini cooper s original rally

• Like 1

1st car just got me out of high school, worked 2 jobs all summer to buy one like this. 327, 4 spd.

4-3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a boat guy, cars never did anything for me, until these two cars:

Audi R8 (Lamborghini drive train in a German car)

image.png.68058afe58c9652f4f2a70a174e40ef5.png

1932 4 Seat V-16 4-Door Cadillac Touring Convertible, if you could see the seats in this, they're amazing.

image.png.342de92ad6aeb475e1cd229a8d6ab511.png

2 hours ago, On The Hard said:

I'm really not looking for pics of a $2 million Bugatti or modern supercars. Really interested in under the radar cars that you still wish you had.

I'd love a '71 Mercedes 280 SL and a 1958 Corvette, but everyone wants those and the prices reflect it. I'll start with a '65 Buick Riviera. (I still think those headlight covers are sexy!)

This, but in black. With better hubcaps. 

I'd also like mine to be a resto-mod, totally stock exterior but with an LS-3 e-rod crate motor, 6-speed auto, 4 wheel disks, and a modern HVAC system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

I had a Mini Cooper S Rally 'back in the day.' 

Most fun you could have on four wheels, especially honking round the twisty country lanes in the Isle of Wight.  You just had to hope you didn't meet a tractor towing a load of hay round the next bend.

Something like this one.  But without the light on the roof.

Image result for mini cooper s original rally

In high school, a couple of friends and I took an 850 mini, ripped out the interior, lowered it and flared fenders.  Shoved in a tuned 1100 engine and stuffed Goodyear racing tires in it. Of course, we painted a British flag on the top.  Enough of a muffler to put some street tires on it and get it to auto crosses. We were always defending it against protests but I think the steward gave us credit for being 16/17 YO, long haired sports car nuts in Dallas in 1970 so we got to run it.  We co-drove it and each drove our own cars (my MGA, an MGB and the rich kid’s 427 Vette.). Didn’t keep us off the streets but kept us busy between school, work (to pay for car stuff) and wrenchIng and driving, they knew generally where we were and what we were up to so they let us have our fun. 

International Scout.  My older siblings had one while growing up, and it sat for years.  I wanted to take it over when I found out my sister and her husband sold it.  Drop top International Scout....someday.

IMG_12811-940x705.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

This, but in black. With better hubcaps. 

I'd also like mine to be a resto-mod, totally stock exterior but with an LS-3 e-rod crate motor, 6-speed auto, 4 wheel disks, and a modern HVAC system. 

Black, silver, white & pewter gray are the only colours for that car.

Every time I see one of them it makes me think of tuxedos and ball gowns. Probably the most elegant "night at the opera" car of "modern" times. The American equivalent of the Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

• Like 2

More like a fond memory than a dream car. When I came home for Christmas in 1973 my Dad had bought Mom a silver 1973 Opel Manta Luxus as a  25th anniversary gift. It was as if Opel got tired of hearing how the GT was a poor man's Vette and tried to make a more mature version of that car. Every thing about it was clean, classy and tight. She let me drive it back and forth to the base over the holidays and I was in love, except it didn't have a radio/ tape deck. I had to drive with the windows open wide and the heater on full blast to stay awake on those late night runs.

Unfortunately, my kid brother totalled it before it was a year old.

• Like 1

I had this exact car when I was 18, down to the hubcaps. It had an ANSI exhaust but was otherwise stock. Stuffed it under a bus on a rainy day... sigh. I'd like another one just like it. 

609593.jpg

• Like 2

Wish I had never sold my ‘84 Audi rally coupe.

28 minutes ago, MisterMoon said:

609593.jpg

Beautiful cars. I've seen some that were converted to roadsters - Nissan really missed the boat by not making a production version.

image.png.72f252d8e30d5d6592bf825724e4a642.png

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Beautiful cars. I've seen some that were converted to roadsters - Nissan really missed the boat by not making a production version.

Nevere sawe oune, lookes beatifulle.                                                :)

I liked the Datsun 2000 or 3 whichever it was 

1957 Chevy Nomad...but I still have my 66 VW bus, my third one, I bought in 1974.  Wish I had the money to buy a hundred of them, and retire in style.

This is what I dream for

levine_sl_301.ashx?modified=20190327134120&mw=1440&hash=2BD4C3A5E12767813F0AB29D6EFDA018F3CE4884

This is affordable now, but really don't have a place to keep it

Image result for mercedes benz 280 sl

This is what I probably get to keep peace with the home front

Image result for 1974 vw karmann ghia

Or

f5e5f0016fd10b65a72c86af08f30a3f6278548e.jpg?auto=format&fit=fill&fill=blur&trim=auto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warbird said:

61184710-770-0@2X-1.thumb.jpg.5a7924360db97b427e4dd27c157439fb.jpg

I had the Euro version of this one at 1600 cc's with no smog crap, just hummed right along. Lighter and wider wheelbase than the 2002's that got sent to the US. Tough little car and didn't need to be babied like the BMW's of today. 

3 minutes ago, foamy1946 said:

1957 Chevy Nomad...but I still have my 66 VW bus, my third one, I bought in 1974.  Wish I had the money to buy a hundred of them, and retire in style.

Don't have too... Fluffy already has them all

4 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I had the Euro version of this one at 1600 cc's with no smog crap, just hummed right along. Lighter and wider wheelbase than the 2002's that got sent to the US. Tough little car and didn't need to be babied like the BMW's of today. 

In the late 60’s I had a friend with a tricked out 65 BMW  and I drove with him from Miami to Annapolis and back.. what I remember was that car just hummed and tracked the Interstate at 80 MPH so comfortably, unlike any car I had ever ridden in. Typical American car 80 MPH you felt like you were pushing it

Bought this in 1976 and I still own it. The only other car I’ve owned but would like back is the 1968 Road Runner.

5FACCB73-CDFB-4510-8CA2-8BC234115654.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, warbird said:

61184710-770-0@2X-1.thumb.jpg.5a7924360db97b427e4dd27c157439fb.jpg

Bingo!

Best car I ever had. 

Would love to have another one. 

I'd like to have back: my 53 Jeep M38a1. My 1990 Honda CRX Si. My 1975 Karman Ghia 1600. My 1969 and my 1973 VW Kombi's. I'd like to have back my 1980 VW Dasher diesel wagon. I'd like to have back my 1991 Ford F150.

Pretty much I'd like to not have gotten rid of the best vehicles I ever had, but........ Time and circumstance take their toll........ Oh! And My 1980 VW GTI...... That was a fucking ROCKET!

I had a 69 1602 and a 70 2002 basically the same car with a 1600cc or 2000cc motor both very good cars

width was in the wheel offset most likely as the cars were the same but people stuck all kinds of wheels on them

I want a 2002 with the first M3 4 banger motor

liked the 65  1800ti a bit bigger 4 door semi trick version I had before the 2002

current project fiero 5 speed with a 4.6 300hp v8 swap [caddy north star alloy 4 cam]

19 minutes ago, nota said:

current project fiero 5 speed with a 4.6 300hp v8 swap [caddy north star alloy 4 cam]

Wow.... I’ve heard of folks doing the 3.8 swap that was pretty much a drop in over the 2.8 that came from the factory in the gt and se    Shoehorning a v8. Fun ride.

the fiero came too soon and missed out on the two seater craze.   The 2.5 L fires didn’t help

4 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

I had this exact car when I was 18, down to the hubcaps. It had an ANSI exhaust but was otherwise stock. Stuffed it under a bus on a rainy day...

Great car, and you're a lucky one not to have been decapitated.

I'm looking at Teslas. Just looking.

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

4 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

In the late 60’s I had a friend with a tricked out 65 BMW  and I drove with him from Miami to Annapolis and back.. what I remember was that car just hummed and tracked the Interstate at 80 MPH so comfortably, unlike any car I had ever ridden in. Typical American car 80 MPH you felt like you were pushing it

3 hours ago, Dorado said:

Bingo!

Best car I ever had. 

Would love to have another one. 

2 hours ago, nota said:

I had a 69 1602 and a 70 2002 basically the same car with a 1600cc or 2000cc motor both very good cars

width was in the wheel offset most likely as the cars were the same but people stuck all kinds of wheels on them

I want a 2002 with the first M3 4 banger motor

liked the 65  1800ti a bit bigger 4 door semi trick version I had before the 2002

I drove mine LA to Alberta burning oil bad. I had just installed recaro imitations and road manners were great. In Alberta I pulled the motor amd semt it to Edmonton. A shop there lightened the flywheel, normal overbore, balance and blueprint.  New pistons at 9.6 : 1 rreplaced the 8.5:1 of the clean air motor (76). They reground the cam to 305 degrees duration  (lumpy idle) with more lift. I got a tii cylinder head and exhaust to replace the smog shit and an Anzi exhaust.  A big weber 2 barrel and a really trick electronic distributor made that baby sing pulling hard 500  beyond stock redline. Bottom end was so so,  driveable and smooth but things got interesting at 3000 rpm. Beltline and window trim blacked out looked good on black rims, silvermist grey body. I had the rear seats upplstered in the same fabric as the recaro imitations.  Sweet ride.

• Like 1

Of all the cars I've owned, the one I miss most is my '68 Spit Mk3.  Not my pic, but mine was identical (including the divot in the bonnet where a deer ran into me one night).   It was a fun little car, including the time I changed the clutch on the side of the freeway.

image.thumb.png.03eff924c79cfdfb5e3e987f43b4dc23.png

I'm currently looking for the right E46 M3.  Of course, I want all the non-desireable features...softtop, SMG. 

12 minutes ago, Que said:

Of all the cars I've owned, the one I miss most is my '68 Spit Mk3.  Not my pic, but mine was identical (including the divot in the bonnet where a deer ran into me one night).   It was a fun little car, including the time I changed the clutch on the side of the freeway.

I'm currently looking for the right E46 M3.  Of course, I want all the non-desireable features...softtop, SMG. 

Changed the clutch through the passenger seat? Dont ask me how I know but I had a brand new Light Blue corduroy/dark blue naugahyde/dark blue carpet interior stitched up for my GT6 right before a shift fork failed. The shop smeared tranny oil over the brand new upholstery.

23 minutes ago, Que said:

You were luckier than a friend who had a horse jump on top of him in his spitfire, cost him several weeks in hospital and the car.. 

Me,  I miss the Triumph 2000s I've had,

but I've ways wanted a proper Landrover and I've got one.  It's a 1984, 110.  I've updated it with a galvanised chassis,  Stainless exhaust, rock sliders,  200tdi engine and discovery transfer box.

Also sound proofing insulation,  and a few mods for towing front and rear..  It started out similar to this one even the colour ,.

land1-500x373.jpg

11 hours ago, Gangbusters said:

Bought this in 1976 and I still own it. The only other car I’ve owned but would like back is the 1968 Road Runner.

That stern is perfection

13 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

In high school, a couple of friends and I took an 850 mini, ripped out the interior, lowered it and flared fenders.  Shoved in a tuned 1100 engine and stuffed Goodyear racing tires in it. Of course, we painted a British flag on the top.  Enough of a muffler to put some street tires on it and get it to auto crosses. We were always defending it against protests but I think the steward gave us credit for being 16/17 YO, long haired sports car nuts in Dallas in 1970 so we got to run it.  We co-drove it and each drove our own cars (my MGA, an MGB and the rich kid’s 427 Vette.). Didn’t keep us off the streets but kept us busy between school, work (to pay for car stuff) and wrenchIng and driving, they knew generally where we were and what we were up to so they let us have our fun. 

My first of many Minis was a 66 Mk1 Cooper S, that was and Ex-C Sedan SCCA race car.  No interior but for the front seats. I installed a milder cam, muffler and drove on the street all summer on the racing slicks.  Sold it, needing CV joints for $1,500 the year before I went off to run race boats for 5 years.  Restored, it would be worth big bucks today.  For about 10 years, much later on, I was importing and selling Minis I imported from the UK, OZ and Canada.  Nearly a dozen altogether.  The one keeper that I wish I still had, was  72 MkIII Cooper S resto mod, with 1380cc high performance engine, and 5 speed Jack Knight close ratio gearbox, that I had bespoke finished for me in England with tan seats, and  9-clock Burr Walnut dash with magnolia Smiths gauges.  Won 3rd fastest in my class doing Solo 1 laps, at Blackhawk race track outside of Chicago at Mini Meet East meets West, some years back. Had to sell it when the economy tanked and we had kids college fees to pay.  Would love to buy it back, if I could find it.  sold it for 23 grand many years ago, and it might fetch nearly double that today....

35 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

My first of many Minis was a 66 Mk1 Cooper S, that was and Ex-C Sedan SCCA race car.  No interior but for the front seats. I installed a milder cam, muffler and drove on the street all summer on the racing slicks.  Sold it, needing CV joints for $1,500 the year before I went off to run race boats for 5 years.  Restored, it would be worth big bucks today.  For about 10 years, much later on, I was importing and selling Minis I imported from the UK, OZ and Canada.  Nearly a dozen altogether.  The one keeper that I wish I still had, was  72 MkIII Cooper S resto mod, with 1380cc high performance engine, and 5 speed Jack Knight close ratio gearbox, that I had bespoke finished for me in England with tan seats, and  9-clock Burr Walnut dash with magnolia Smiths gauges.  Won 3rd fastest in my class doing Solo 1 laps, at Blackhawk race track outside of Chicago at Mini Meet East meets West, some years back. Had to sell it when the economy tanked and we had kids college fees to pay.  Would love to buy it back, if I could find it.  sold it for 23 grand many years ago, and it might fetch nearly double that today....

In the 80s I did a year stint in Cold Lake Canadian Forces Base, Alberta. The lake froze hard enough to plow a 1/4 mile oval.on the ice. The local dirt track racers with hobbystock and modified type cars would put studs on old dirt tires and have ice races on Saturday afternoons in winter. No classes, just run what you brung. Occasionally a mini would show up, stripped, gutted, just a drivers seat, with studded winter tires. What that mini lacked on the straights was made up in the corners. The dirt guys with loud V8s and not enough grip against the mini, plenty of grip not much power. Fun watching. The mini did well often.

32 minutes ago, warbird said:

In the 80s I did a year stint in Cold Lake Canadian Forces Base, Alberta. The lake froze hard enough to plow a 1/4 mile oval.on the ice. The local dirt track racers with hobbystock and modified type cars would put studs on old dirt tires and have ice races on Saturday afternoons in winter. No classes, just run what you brung. Occasionally a mini would show up, stripped, gutted, just a drivers seat, with studded winter tires. What that mini lacked on the straights was made up in the corners. The dirt guys with loud V8s and not enough grip against the mini, plenty of grip not much power. Fun watching. The mini did well often.

Buddy of mine who also had a Mini, when I got my first one at age 18 or so, and I bought a bunch of spares off some guy, including some from a stripped Ice Racing mini.  The dashboard had a plaque from an airplane installed that said, "Intentionally Spinning Prohibited", or something like that.  Used to love to go to the vintage races, and watch the Minis pass all the big block Corvettes and other muscle cars in the corners, only to be passed back by them on the straights....

20 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Buddy of mine who also had a Mini, when I got my first one at age 18 or so, and I bought a bunch of spares off some guy, including some from a stripped Ice Racing mini.  The dashboard had a plaque from an airplane installed that said, "Intentionally Spinning Prohibited", or something like that.  Used to love to go to the vintage races, and watch the Minis pass all the big block Corvettes and other muscle cars in the corners, only to be passed back by them on the straights....

We use to do the same thing racing endurance on a Suzuki SV 650.

I inherited a new type Mini S in a divorce.  Fun car but way too complicated.  Never got to drive one of the old ones, which of course, have almost nothing to do with the new ones.

15 hours ago, Jkdubz808 said:

International Scout.  My older siblings had one while growing up, and it sat for years.  I wanted to take it over when I found out my sister and her husband sold it.  Drop top International Scout....someday.

IMG_12811-940x705.jpg

My dad bought one of those after we totaled his mid 60's VW van.  I think his was one of the last of that body style made.  It hat a bolt on removable roof but I could ever talk him into removing it.  Neat car, terrible fuel mileage with the V8 but I guess that wasn't the point.  I think there were probably only 3 of them in Miami at the time (probably exaggerated but not by much).  He had planned on moving to Colorado with it but never made it.

My "dream" car when I had such dreams was a Volvo 1800 ES.  I am not very ambitious :-)  The Volvo and me are too old now to bother with.

10 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

always wanted a 67 vette

used-1967-chevrolet-corvette-427435-8031

Got one in the garage. 427 with 2,366 miles on it. Too bad it's my uncle's.

14 hours ago, Gangbusters said:

Nearly bought one of those but at 6'4", I just didn't fit in it. Second only to the XKE for best looking British car ever in my mind

• Like 1

10 hours ago, warbird said:

Changed the clutch through the passenger seat? Dont ask me how I know but I had a brand new Light Blue corduroy/dark blue naugahyde/dark blue carpet interior stitched up for my GT6 right before a shift fork failed. The shop smeared tranny oil over the brand new upholstery.

You got it!  Coasted over to the side of the road...pulled tools out of the trunk (you don't drive a LBC without a full set of tools, right?).  Seats out.  Tunnel out.  Undo driveshaft/slave hydraulics.  Remove a gazillion bellhousing bolts.  Transmission out.  Run across the road to the NAPA.  Reassembly is the reverse of the above!

The smell of spilled 90w gear oil in a car is part of the appeal, right?

2 hours ago, bridhb said:

Never got to drive one of the old ones, which of course, have almost nothing to do with the new ones.

One is small and nimble,  the other is smaller and nimbler....

1 hour ago, Que said:

The smell of spilled 90w gear oil in a car is part of the appeal, right?

Except I had just spent good $ on a gorgeous interior while earning Lance Corporal pay:angry:

Lance Corporal

Why did you feel the need to capitalize "lance corporal"?

4 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Oops, got the mileage wrong.

5357670399_7f93e32d01_b.jpg

5358287994_f9999f4eff_b.jpg

• Like 1

I'm lucky, I have both of what I wanted now that I'm retired. Just finished resto mod of a 59 Apache short box side step. The other is a 58 356 Porsche cabriolet

56 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Now if you can just convince your uncle that he didn't leave it with you at 2,366 :-)

8 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

I am totally addicted to mid engine cars. I have put over 400,000 miles on them and would love to move up the HP scale a bit with this:

th?id=OIP.gyAfXLqLxR15DNUCM89C0wHaE9%26p

Much better looking than the new vet in my opinion.

To be fair, the new Vette has  to meat safety requirements that did not exist in the late 60s that Superperformance still avoids somehow.

We'll do new Corvette to new Ford GT for a fair test:

corvette-c8-intro.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

2020 Ford GT (not GT40, they lost the trademark to Superperformance)

2020-Ford-GT40-0-60-news.jpg

IMHO they both don't look as nice as the 1960s version nor the 2005 version.

2005:

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Actually the C8 looks like a prop from Star Wars to me.

My first car was a 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, bought at one year old for $3K. Beautiful design, great engineering, and it ate MGB's and BMW 2002's.  It was a freak Alfa,  totally reliable and rust-free. 

Nowadays a good restored one will run over $50K. 

Would someone who knows how please put up a pic, preferably a red one?

30 minutes ago, bridhb said:

Now if you can just convince your uncle that he didn't leave it with you at 2,366 :-)

Well, he just died and I believe it's coming my way. There's a '57 and '62 in the garage too. And a Kubota GS1800 sitting next to an Exmark 60" 0 turn (because everyone needs 2 mowers), my 1972 CB750 and a 2003 Honda Reflex and a Honda Foreman 500 all in the garage...And a mower blade sharpener. And a western saddle and tack set. Heck, there's all sorts of weird shit in the garage.

'62, '67 (covered), Kubota and used vegetable oil to make biodieel.

image.thumb.png.5d1848ea7db76bc5b88aa6d668fd820a.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy said:

My first car was a 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, bought at one year old for $3K. Beautiful design, great engineering, and it ate MGB's and BMW 2002's.  It was a freak Alfa,  totally reliable and rust-free. 

Nowadays a good restored one will run over $50K. 

Would someone who knows how please put up a pic, preferably a red one?

1969-alfa-romeo-1750-gtv-1.jpg

Thisse worke?                           :)

Thanks Snaggy!  

A buddy always referred to it as "the poor man's Ferrari", which was nice coming from a guy who later bought a Ferrari.........

19 minutes ago, Happy said:

Thanks Snaggy!  

I hade accesse to silvere oune fore abote 18 mounthes, loved it!                              :)

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

You are aware you can't drive that thing aren't you?

That low mileage originality is worth probably 6 figures more for the car compared to a restored one. If you have all the original documentation add 10's of $thousands more.

Sell it, buy a nice driver and retire on the $ difference. :D

3 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

It was the best he ever did.

3 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Like E1 Private,  E5 Sergeant  ,E3 Lance Corporal. 

26 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

It was the best he ever did.

E5 at 3 1/2 years.......

$25k  re up bonus and E6 Staff Sergeant promtion promised at 5yearz in 1980. Took the DD214 instead at the end of 4.:D 

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

Who put the extra 100 miles on?:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, warbird said:

Who put the extra 100 miles on?:ph34r:

I may or may not have found the key in 2004.

51 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Well, he just died and I believe it's coming my way. There's a '57 and '62 in the garage too. And a Kubota GS1800 sitting next to an Exmark 60" 0 turn (because everyone needs 2 mowers), my 1972 CB750 and a 2003 Honda Reflex and a Honda Foreman 500 all in the garage...And a mower blade sharpener. And a western saddle and tack set. Heck, there's all sorts of weird shit in the garage.

'62, '67 (covered), Kubota and used vegetable oil to make biodieel.

image.thumb.png.5d1848ea7db76bc5b88aa6d668fd820a.png

Sorry for the loss. Onerous responsibility on the low mileage Vette. Check/restore seals, bearings, brakes and anything replaced becomes non original.  Don't check/restore and you invite a failure. Catch 22.

22 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

You are in luck Mazda now makes it.

216423290_Grey124Spyder.jpg.4a7499b752d091ec1cc7f5b3507ed14c.jpg

Like E1 Private,  E5 Sergeant  ,E3 Lance Corporal. 

Nah, that's Marine jargon to boost morale.

It's like an engineer referring to him or herself as an "Engineer".

5 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Nah, that's Marine jargon to boost morale.

It's like an engineer referring to him or herself as an "Engineer".

Is it  "a Navy CPO" or "a navy cpo" told me to sweep that deck?

Is it  "a Navy CPO" or "a navy cpo" told me to sweep that deck?

It's pronounced "some asshole". :)

But seriously, "navy CPO".

26 minutes ago, captnjoe said:

You are in luck Mazda FIAT now makes it.

216423290_Grey124Spyder.jpg.4a7499b752d091ec1cc7f5b3507ed14c.jpg

FTFY. ;)

It is nice that most offerings so far are not pie in the sky unobtainable. Nice vettes , except 3000 mile original 427s, Rivieras,Datsun 510s and 240z etc are in reach for the motivated. I would guess that a big issue for many of us is garage space.

I have been doing "hot rod" searches and some very desirable or interesting cars are out there. I see so many I consider buying one, driving it a year(season) and selling to make room for a new acquisition. My tastes are Datsun 510 to 34 coupe with a flathead. 

7 hours ago, austin1972 said:

we complete numbers, their going for close to a 1/4 mil...   in '83, i found a green one for sale at a vette dealer, they want $10.5k for it, couldn't find a bank to loan the money because they considered it too old..   morons..

2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

To be fair, the new Vette has  to meat safety requirements that did not exist in the late 60s that Superperformance still avoids somehow.

We'll do new Corvette to new Ford GT for a fair test:

corvette-c8-intro.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

2020 Ford GT (not GT40, they lost the trademark to Superperformance)

2020-Ford-GT40-0-60-news.jpg

IMHO they both don't look as nice as the 1960s version nor the 2005 version.

2005:

to be fair, one's a $50k car, the other $2mil... 

The 2006 GT looks better than both of them and listed for about $160K back in 2006 and the 100-someting K original GT40 continuations look even better.