Sign in to follow this  
Jubblies

Traveler and mainsheet system upgrade

I am planning on a traveler and mainsheet upgrade this spring. We have a lot of women crew on our boat and one of the big considerations is increasing purchase to give these crew members more leverage. 

For the traveler I've worked out a way to go from a 3:1 system to a 4:1 system.

traveler.png.c8bdf5b9673b455e2bd1b32e81cad1fc.png

In the current configuration  the free ends of this would actually be going upward through an upright lead bullet block, then to a fairlead and cam cleat just below the deck/seat join on continuous line over the to the other side. I've never been too sure how much I liked this arrangement. The issue I would like to solve would be to have a cam cleat and fairlead set up the was two-way on each side so that it could be trimmed or released from either side of the boat. I don't like windward sheeting cars because it requires people to move out of position to use them. I am just finding a hard time sorting out the right hardware to put this in action. The whole goal here is to keep wait from moving around on the boat.

Untitled.png.461eb61559b8e982c18d0505320084cc.png

I'm thinking of a setup something like this. Anyone have any hardware suggestions?

My initial thought would be something like this...with the fairlead removed with another camcleat on the inside of the seat. The only problem would be that pivot could potentially cause problems.
image.png.0651c4e8c2eb1969a91f5efebae1b125.png

For the mainsheet I want to go from our current 6:1 to a 4:1/16:1 system. Again in my search for a system that would not require people to get out of position, I found what it seems some Olson 30s have done.

image.thumb.png.026b56df3e0cb07b739c8b1fb009831f.png

This would put the traveler and the mainsheet fine tune right in the hands of the trimmer without having to reach in to cleat/uncleat. I am curious to hear from anyone that has used this type of system to hear what the pros and cons have been under real sailing conditions.

Your last pic looks like a perfect opportunity for a windward sheeting car. They are great. But asking and inspecting other O-30 boats is best.

Use the largest possible ball-bearing sheaves everywhere. As few as possible.

• Like 1

This is from a Melges 24 but have also seen them on J22s. A chunk of angle with a two cleats for the traveler

Image result for j22 traveler cleats

10 hours ago, Jubblies said:

I am planning on a traveler and mainsheet upgrade this spring. We have a lot of women crew on our boat and one of the big considerations is increasing purchase to give these crew members more leverage. 

For the traveler I've worked out a way to go from a 3:1 system to a 4:1 system.

traveler.png.c8bdf5b9673b455e2bd1b32e81cad1fc.png

That, as shown, is actually a 5-1 system, which is fine, but a lot of purchase if your boat is the in the low 30' range. Here is a picture of a new install using the OBM0002 cam bracket. Can be cleated and uncleated from either side of the cockpit. 

Bam Miller 

traveler.control.JPG

I agree on going thin to reduce friction but I wouldn't use a Dyneema or other low-stretch line on the traveler. You don't need the strength with all that purchase and the lack of compliance will hurt in a crash gybe. 

Dyneema not necessary however when it's tapered and stripped it makes an incredible traveler line that races thru the purchase.

19 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Your last pic looks like a perfect opportunity for a windward sheeting car. They are great. But asking and inspecting other O-30 boats is best.

Use the largest possible ball-bearing sheaves everywhere. As few as possible.

Windward sheeting car will cut the overall workload in half and use salsa braid on that too.

Take your 6:1 and go put a 4:1 fine trim on it... 

we have that on "Lioness" E= 17, P=37

the 6:1 rides the windward sheeting traveler car, the 4:1 goes to the mizzen base to give a total close hauled adjustment range of ~4' (20' of line) 

In your case you could put it on the center line. 

When we tack the helmsman dumps the fine as the boom goes over, it puts twist in, and tends to give appropriate "low gear" to accelerate if you have set it right using the coarse, then the trimmer uses the 4:1 to bring the main into pointing mode fine tune as the boat comes up to heading.

In Light air the fine is left alone, and the traveler hauled to weather gives the "gear shift" 

In heavier air the fine is dumped, and the traveler and fine played off to get boat moving and on it's feet. 

On a rounding, its all about the 6:1 to either ease or bring in.

We have ~150 feet of sheet on the 6:1 to get the boom all the way out. Using a 6-8mm braid over dyneema core 

We used to have 4:1 & 16:1 but found that in heavy puff's we could not release the 4:1 without bracing and using legs. 

On 3/1/2020 at 8:17 PM, ctutmark said:

This is from a Melges 24 but have also seen them on J22s. A chunk of angle with a two cleats for the traveler

Image result for j22 traveler cleats

This is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Thanks for the recommendation. I was able to find a couple of websites selling them so it should not be hard to source.

On 3/1/2020 at 7:12 PM, El Boracho said:

I specifically do not want a windward sheeting car. Our traveler spans close to 5 feet. I don't want crew to get out of position to make adjustments.

@LionessRacing thanks for the insight on how you work your fine tuner. The only thing I don't like about having the fine-tuner moving with the gross-tuner is that with our traveler it means the trimmer has to move from the rail sometimes to release, or doing the old release with your toes trick!

On 3/3/2020 at 7:21 AM, Jubblies said:

Our traveler spans close to 5 feet. I don't want crew to get out of position to make adjustments

Why would they ? 

My traveler is aft of the wheel, in front of the mizzen and is easily 6 feet long, on the aft side of  the perhaps 18" deep space I slither through in tacks and gybes, hoping to not get fouled in the mainsheet falls, the mizzen sheets, mizzen staysail halyards and sheets.  My main trimmer lets me pick my side (low side upwind in lighter air, high side in heavier, or as needed for visibility) and then sits opposite to trim, though in heavier he's aft of traveler, sitting on the spinnaker winch pad, braced with feet on the mizzen, playing the 6:1, traveler or 4:1 fine as needed and I'm just in front of it, feet against the other side of cockpit.  

We have an endless loop on the 4:1 control lines for the windward car, leading from the cam cleat on the car to a fair lead on the cockpit coaming, so you can adjust it either way,  from either side. We could probably downsize the line to reduce friction, and put a bungee to a block to take the slack out of the way so that it doesn't bunch up. 

The Mizzen sheet is double ended off the mast base to allow for either of us to trim, and I generally hoist and douse the Mizzen staysail (on every gybe) as there's just not enough room to fit anyone in there and the halyard is double ended around the backstay.