Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Dinghy In The Pool?

We're having a boat renaming party this Saturday.  There's so much shit to hide! 

I was thinking of putting the inflatable in the pool.  Could be interesting...  Rum and champagne and toasts to the Gods.  What could go wrong? 

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any issues with a hypalon inflatable in a chlorinated pool?  I really want to see how that goes but I don't want to lose the dinghy.

Actual definition of 1st world problem.:D

No, chlorine bad.

Let the chlorine level drop to nil.

Florida is first world? :lol:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jules said:

We're having a boat renaming party this Saturday.  There's so much shit to hide! 

I was thinking of putting the inflatable in the pool.  Could be interesting...  Rum and champagne and toasts to the Gods.  What could go wrong? 

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any issues with a hypalon inflatable in a chlorinated pool?  I really want to see how that goes but I don't want to lose the dinghy.

It's an inflatable and it's gonna end up in the landfill soon anyway...

1 minute ago, Russell Brown said:

It's an inflatable and it's gonna end up in the landfill soon anyway...

Don't say that, you brat!  We just got the damned thing to hold air!

I still want to see how many septuagenarians take a float in the pool.  

You have chlorinated pools left in Florida?  The rest of the world switched to salt water generators, what, twenty years ago?  Next you're going to tell me you watch TV on cable!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Let the chlorine level drop to nil.

Florida is first world? :lol:

Florida, I didn't know...

Sorry...Sorry

24 minutes ago, Jules said:

Don't say that, you brat!  We just got the damned thing to hold air!

I still want to see how many septuagenarians take a float in the pool.  

Inflatables are great for drunks. I'll never forget seeing someone famous fall from a great hight into an Avon Redcrest and come up laughing his ass off!

• Like 1

I built a dinghy for my daughter for her 8th birthday. She had lived aboard our Passport 40 since the age of 6 months and was old enough to have her own 'shore transport' sort of like getting a kid a bicycle at that age. It was a splash from a Trinka 8 and I bought if from a guy who had pulled a mold and was knocking out really light and stiff hulls for cheap. I bought it an added the wooden sheer clamps, seats, ect. Grandma and Grandpa had come down to the Island and rented a nice place for a couple of weeks that had a nice swimming pool. Big birthday plans ensued and I decided to sneak the mostly finished Trinka in to the pool enclosure through the back gate while my daughter was distracted by the B-Day cake and ice cream just after the gift giving. It took some careful planning to get the dinghy into the pool without discovery and then rejoin the party for the cake lighting. Once that stage was done, I suggested all the kids go for a swim to wash off the cake crumbs, icing and ice cream and had the video cam as my sweet girl led her friends out of the big living room around the deck to the pool. When she saw the Trinka bobbing in the middle of the pool the look on her face was priceless. The other kids were confused as to why a dingy was in the pool but she knew in a flash that it was her escape capsule. I have never been so proud as when she came and threw her arms around me and thanked me for her own dingy.

I had it tied bow and stern right in the middle of the pool so it wouldn't get dinged on the pool copings but it was pretty hard to pull it to the side of the pool and board it without getting thrown clear and into the pool. It had no seats or flotation yet but the kids went nuts trying to get in and overall it was a big hit at the party. After countless swampings and a couple of full on sinkings I had to take it out and put it up on display in the garden. If you have never seen a Trinka, they are the epitome of the Whitehall inspired pulling boat and a thing of beauty. My daughter got very competent at rowing it and I regret never having completed a sailing rig for it before she outgrew the novelty of having her own boat. Once she got the strength to pull start the outboard on our boats bigger tender she would rather take the limo than row!

• Like 3

rBVaEVcV7duAF4xSAAWkGZsjUzs549.jpg

if you're going to put a dinghy in a pool  at least do it properly..

e-sailing[1].png

• Like 1

I thought this was about the Fireball in the Davis Island pool Mid-Winters trick. I also seem to remember a certain sail makers lightning with trailer in a pool in Sanford. Long time gone.

8 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I built a dinghy for my daughter for her 8th birthday. She had lived aboard our Passport 40 since the age of 6 months and was old enough to have her own 'shore transport' sort of like getting a kid a bicycle at that age.

I bought an 11’ Ellen rowing/ sailing dinghy a couple of years ago for my Daughter’s 7the birthday and when we launched it out back I couldn’t get her or her 9 year old sister back to the dock! They each had a Shaw and Tenney oar up at the bow and we’re going in endless circles yelling at each other to either row more or less so they could go in a straight line. The oars were chipped and the varnish was scratched on the sheer clamp and I couldn’t have had more fun winning the lottery watching those 2 go at it. The videos are funny as hell too even if your not the parents watching...

...and a hypalon inflatable can handle a few hours in chlorine. Me? Nope.

• Like 1

• Like 2

We did that at my house with a old opti we rigged it and everything was pretty coo

• Like 2

OK you'll be fine. Hypalon is very impervious to all sorts of chemicals.

People use muriatic acid to get barnacles off the bottom of their dinghies and it doesn't hurt them. Just rinse it afterward.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:12 AM, VWAP said:

Good lord. If I saw that thing sail up on me in real life I'd shoot it. 

OP - borrow an Opti. 

58 minutes ago, kevlar said:

Good lord. If I saw that thing sail up on me in real life I'd shoot it. 

OP - borrow an Opti. 

You carry a gun in the pool?

• Like 1

He may be this guy

Ahhhhh pffffff .......all been done years ago..... "Big Ruby".... russell... 1992