The Joker

US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak

4 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Viruses aren't political Mikey, but you keep doing you.

Says the person who keeps making it about politics.

5 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Fucketh Offeth already

You too, since you seem unable to discuss the actual problem of the virus.

Just now, mikewof said:

You too, since you seem unable to discuss the actual problem of the virus.

After reading your bullshit for months about how it was no big deal? Sorry, when it comes to infectious disease you have as much credibility as my puppy. But I like her.

33 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Two more records set.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.59.15 PM.png

I wonder if Turnip can get it over 5K before he is dethroned.

11 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

After reading your bullshit for months about how it was no big deal? Sorry, when it comes to infectious disease you have as much credibility as my puppy. But I like her.

It's obviously a big deal, but both you and your puppy have the not-so-unique ability to minimize all the other things that are as big of a deal, and a bigger deal ... but since you are a millionaire with a boat, all that other misery has no impact on you, so you ignore it with a well-honed efficiency.

But when someone points out this undeniable truth to you, your response is "fuck off." Meh, nothing new, you are another link in a continuous chain of colonial isolation.

1 minute ago, mikewof said:

It's obviously a big deal, but both you and your puppy have the not-so-unique ability to minimize all the other things that are as big of a deal, and a bigger deal ... but since you are a millionaire with a boat, all that other misery has no impact on you, so you ignore it with a well-honed efficiency.

Mikey, we know you eat anything.  One thing is possessing the world.  A million other matters also matter.  I underestimate.  Please tell me by how much. 

20 minutes ago, mikewof said:

But when someone points out this undeniable truth to you, your response is "fuck off." Meh, nothing new, you are another link in a continuous chain of colonial isolation.

Your original fallacy is still Eva dent.

7 hours ago, mikewof said:

read the thread topic you idiot.

rather than ruin this thread by posting irrelevant bullshit, start your own thread on whatever ails you.

there were over 4000 deaths today, your countrymen. why do you hate the idea that their deaths matter?

46 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

image.thumb.png.a778146086c708e1099c8bae19064bc2.png

Maybe, and I’m gonna go way out on a limb here, just maybe, it would be better to respond to a pandemic with something other than bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Maybe, and I’m gonna go way out on a limb here, just maybe, it would be better to respond to a pandemic with something other than bullshit. 

Mikey's almost ready. Almost, not quite. Says we don't really understand this virus and it needs more bullshit, err, study.

7 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

read the thread topic you idiot.

rather than ruin this thread by posting irrelevant bullshit, start your own thread on whatever ails you.

there were over 4000 deaths today, your countrymen. why do you hate the idea that their deaths matter?

"Read the topic"? The topic says that the USA is ranked #1 best to deal with the outbreak.

What does that bit of nonsense have to do with your bit of nonsense?

And what have you done to save lives in the USA or anywhere else? I mean, yeah, your highly skilled shitfighting techniques can bring down your mighty shitfighting foes, but a discussion about the actual public health policy, still seems to elude both you and DuhRaz'r.

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Mikey's almost ready. Almost, not quite. Says we don't really understand this virus and it needs more bullshit, err, study.

Do tell then ... why does it kill wealthy old people more readily than poor people, or young people?

3 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Ah, and what is that, lawyer? What medical and public health approaches should be taken here, other than your constant stream of bullshit?

15 hours ago, hasher said:

Mikey, we know you eat anything.  One thing is possessing the world.  A million other matters also matter.  I underestimate.  Please tell me by how much. 

Why is COVID-19 "possessing the world"?

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

Do tell then ... why does it kill wealthy old people more readily than poor people, or young people?

Why do you dismiss the hundreds of thousands of poor American people this virus has killed ?

Are they invisible to you?

Do you have any actual numbers of those that are both old and wealthy that have died?

(for wealthy, lets just start with those both retired and able to afford health insurance, a fairly low bar)

In 2019, about 567,715 homeless people were living in the United States. While this number had been steadily decreasing since 2007, in the past two years it has started to increase. For New York City, even before COVID-19, 2020 was already turning out to be a record year for homelessness. But as the lockdown commenced in mid-March, the 60,923 homeless people staying at the city’s shelter system found themselves disproportionately affected by the pandemic.

That’s not all of the city’s homeless, of course; the 60,000-plus doesn’t include homeless people hidden within patient rolls and emergency department waiting rooms. In 2019, the city’s annual count of hospital homeless shows more than 300 on any given night who are patients or using the hospital as temporary shelter.

As a health care practitioner, educator and researcher in the field of public health and social epidemiology who works in the city, I’m fully aware of the challenges faced and the tragedies already seen. As of May 31, the New York Department of Homeless Services had reported 926 confirmed COVID-19 cases across 179 shelter locations and 86 confirmed COVID-19 deaths. In April alone, DHS reported 58 homeless deaths from COVID-19, 1.6 times higher than the overall city rate. While there is no reliable analogous data for other cities, what happens in New York can be a lesson for others.

https://theconversation.com/homeless-patients-with-covid-19-often-go-back-to-life-on-the-streets-after-hospital-care-but-theres-a-better-way-148247

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you. 

Nobody who gets a Nurse's dose (or Doc's dose etc) will tell you its a bad flu.  I had swine flu. This was 5-10 times worse

I've NO underlying conditions. Backpacker.  Underweight.  I had to to sit bolt upright for two days and night or my O2 sat would drop too low.  Pajamas soaked in sweat enough to wring twice a night. But I stayed out of hospital and am crawling out of the pit.

• Like 12

41 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it.

Hold fast, man!

And do not hesitate to call for assistance when you feel you could use some! (I know enough doctors and nurses who didn't want to be a burden).

I hope you get through this fast!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

I'm day 9 of symptoms and still in the middle if it. Let me tell you,  getting a viral load from convience store handle much less than getting it from being in a maskless patients face coughing on you. 

Nobody who gets a Nurse's dose (or Doc's dose etc) will tell you its a bad flu.  I had swine flu. This was 5-10 times worse

I've NO underlying conditions. Backpacker.  Underweight.  I had to to sit bolt upright for two days and night or my O2 sat would drop too low.  Pajamas soaked in sweat enough to wring twice a night. But I stayed out of hospital and am crawling out of the pit.

You have someone with you to keep an eye on you and look after you?

( worried)

5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

You have someone with you to keep an eye on you and look after you?

( worried)

Ya. But I have turned the corner.  Its just going to be a slog

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikewof said:

It's been documented. Fortunately the way this works is we'll keep up the social distancing, roll out the vaccine, develop new treatment protocols ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Instead of the Woofey "go back to normal life, and I'll study the death statistics" approach.

Sorry, but can you please stop quoting the new, deluded mikey?

On second thought, not sorry at all. Please stop quoting that arsehole as most people have him on ignore for good reasons.

Thank you!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

image.thumb.png.a778146086c708e1099c8bae19064bc2.png

Another day,  Another pair of records.  And, it ain't over.

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 8.45.13 PM.png

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

It's been documented. Fortunately the way this works is we'll keep up the social distancing, roll out the vaccine, develop new treatment protocols ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Instead of the Woofey "go back to normal life, and I'll study the death statistics" approach.

In case you haven't noticed, we've been social distancing, wearing masks, shutting down schools, it will be coming up on a year soon when vast segments of the population haven't left their houses yet.

Has it helped? It's a coronavirus, they're highly virulent.

So go ahead, Dr., what's going to help?

4 hours ago, Grog said:

On second thought, not sorry at all. Please stop quoting that arsehole as most people have him on ignore for good reasons.

Thank you!

I guess you're too dim-witted to understand how to use the ignore function on people who quote me.

Or perhaps you just enjoy reading it, so you have something about which to complain.

4 hours ago, Grog said:

Thank you!

It's kinda hard to keep track of all the individuals some of you have on ignore, and want us to not quote.  Maybe you guys should develop a log of who you request.

Or, you could just scroll by, like the rest of us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Why do you dismiss the hundreds of thousands of poor American people this virus has killed ?

Are they invisible to you?

Do you have any actual numbers of those that are both old and wealthy that have died?

(for wealthy, lets just start with those both retired and able to afford health insurance, a fairly low bar)

In 2019, about 567,715 homeless people were living in the United States. While this number had been steadily decreasing since 2007, in the past two years it has started to increase. For New York City, even before COVID-19, 2020 was already turning out to be a record year for homelessness. But as the lockdown commenced in mid-March, the 60,923 homeless people staying at the city’s shelter system found themselves disproportionately affected by the pandemic.

That’s not all of the city’s homeless, of course; the 60,000-plus doesn’t include homeless people hidden within patient rolls and emergency department waiting rooms. In 2019, the city’s annual count of hospital homeless shows more than 300 on any given night who are patients or using the hospital as temporary shelter.

As a health care practitioner, educator and researcher in the field of public health and social epidemiology who works in the city, I’m fully aware of the challenges faced and the tragedies already seen. As of May 31, the New York Department of Homeless Services had reported 926 confirmed COVID-19 cases across 179 shelter locations and 86 confirmed COVID-19 deaths. In April alone, DHS reported 58 homeless deaths from COVID-19, 1.6 times higher than the overall city rate. While there is no reliable analogous data for other cities, what happens in New York can be a lesson for others.

https://theconversation.com/homeless-patients-with-covid-19-often-go-back-to-life-on-the-streets-after-hospital-care-but-theres-a-better-way-148247

You should read, given that you're an employee of a library.

The Infection Death Ratio for impoverished countries is less than 0.25% and it's slightly more than 1% for industrial countries like the USA. As I've mentioned before, the lack of functional healthcare lots of less-than-wealthy people in the USA has hit them hard, including the torrent that was NYC several months ago.

I pushed a chunk of the COVID research project on which I work to the ethnic asthma disparity, which has existed long before COVID, and will be here after COVID is gone. It's at-least partly tied to the ethnic COVID disparity. So your claims about me "dismissing" and "invisible" only make sense to you, because you dreamed them up.

4 minutes ago, mikewof said:

In case you haven't noticed, we've been social distancing, wearing masks, shutting down schools, it will be coming up on a year soon when vast segments of the population haven't left their houses yet.

So go ahead, Dr., what's going to help?

Who's "We" ?

Which "vast" segments are you referring to?

For one who prides himself on being a Scientist, you sure do make a lot of shit up.

All things considered, it has been a big week for the Commander in Chief...........

19 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Another day,  Another pair of records.  And, it ain't over.

Question:   is there a connection between the Bananas in Pajamas logo, Bell Laboratrories and the Dark Sucker Theory ? it has been nagging at me for some time.

3 minutes ago, Frakka said:

All things considered, it has been a big week for the Commander in Chief...........

Question:   is there a connection between the Bananas in Pajamas logo, Bell Laboratrories and the Dark Sucker Theory ? it has been nagging at me for some time.

You need more iron.

5 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Who's "We" ?

Which "vast" segments are you referring to?

For one who prides himself on being a Scientist, you sure do make a lot of shit up.

You don't live here. I don't see anyone who goes maskless indoors anymore, regardless their politics. We mask up because we mask up. The schools are still shut down in my area and every area that I know from friends and family, and a huge chunk of the country has been working from home since March of last year ... I make a habit of asking people with whom I interact on the phone, and nearly all of them still work from home unless they're in an industry where they can't.

I get that you fancy yourself an expert on all things American, but perhaps you should endeavor to speak from your arse a bit less.

5 minutes ago, Frakka said:

B1 and B2 and Bell Labs? of course, you know that Rat is........a Rat? 

2 minutes ago, mikewof said:

You don't live here. I don't see anyone who goes maskless indoors anymore, regardless their politics. We mask up because we mask up. The schools are still shut down in my area and every area that I know from friends and family, and a huge chunk of the country has been working from home since March of last year ... I make a habit of asking people with whom I interact on the phone, and nearly all of them still work from home unless they're in an industry where they can't.

I get that you fancy yourself an expert on all things American, but perhaps you should endeavor to speak from your arse a bit less.

So, "we" in fact are the people you personally interact with. Very scientific.

And the "vast segments"??

I just Googled Random photos of American Malls 

Images

past 12 months

Spot the Masks Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=random Photos of american malls&tbm=isch&tbs=qdr:y&rlz=1C1CAFC_enAU896AU896&hl=en-US&sa=X&ved=0CAQQpwVqFwoTCPCIrOihi-4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAC&biw=1226&bih=597

10 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

So, "we" in fact are the people you personally interact with. Very scientific.

And the "vast segments"??

I just Googled Random photos of American Malls 

Images

past 12 months

Spot the Masks Mike

https://www.google.com/search?q=random Photos of american malls&tbm=isch&tbs=qdr:y&rlz=1C1CAFC_enAU896AU896&hl=en-US&sa=X&ved=0CAQQpwVqFwoTCPCIrOihi-4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAC&biw=1226&bih=597

So some Australian lady with a Google account and no apparent knowledge of image-date tags being updated by SEOs knows more than we do about what's happening here?

6 minutes ago, mikewof said:

So some Australian lady with a Google account and no apparent knowledge of image-date tags being updated by SEOs knows more than we do about what's happening here?

Woman not Lady or lady.

And I probably do know more about what's really happening in the USA than 50% of Americans.

PA is not really very representative of your average American is it? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

So go ahead, Dr., what's going to hel?

52 minutes ago, mikewof said:

It's great to live in a country that now has open schools and I can breathe mask less. It's great to live in a country where there are no daily deaths from this preventable disease.

The success of a proper lockdown, taken seriously by the citizens is on display whenever I go.

3 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

It's great to live in a country that now has open schools and I can breathe mask less.

The success of a proper lockdown, taken seriously by the citizens is on display whenever I go.

The dumbassery of the Woofeys of America is astounding. “We can’t do anything, wahhh, nothing works” they say. Too bad there are myriad examples where folks are living relatively normal lives because they are vigilant and do the right things.

• Like 1

Again, if you want to fry your brain cells with the Unaposter if is not necessary to QUOTE him. You can just type a response or if you want to make damn sure he sees it add the @screen name - the guy is so starved for attention he salivates over the chance to bloviate.

Thanks,

Miss Management.

52 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Well, let me go way out on a limb here and declare that 

she knows more about US haps than you. 

5 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Well, let me go way out on a limb here and declare that 

she knows more about US haps than you. 

Well, there's "knowing" and there's knowing.

Humility forbids any claim to latter but I do try to fact check rather than cherry pick.

Mike "knows" too much.

8 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Well, there's "knowing" and there's knowing.

Humility forbids any claim to latter but I do try to fact check rather than cherry pick.

Mike "knows" too much.

When you write about things here in the USA that I can literally see are not true, then you have clearly over-reached from your perch in Australia, through your Internet lens.

I have family and friends in NY, California, Illinois, Arizona and a few other places, and their reports are similar to my own. But if you believe a Google image search more than actual reality, then there is perhaps no hope for you.

14 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Again, if you want to fry your brain cells with the Unaposter if is not necessary to QUOTE him. You can just type a response or if you want to make damn sure he sees it add the @screen name - the guy is so starved for attention he salivates over the chance to bloviate.

Thanks,

Miss Management.

You delicate, frilly little "brain" can't handle anything that doesn't agree with it, so you endeavor to control the minds of others to keep your landscape pure.

Putz.

14 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

It's great to live in a country that now has open schools and I can breathe mask less. It's great to live in a country where there are no daily deaths from this preventable disease.

You sound like one of those Westboro Baptist adherents who claims that the deaths of soldiers and policemen are due to homosexuals and non-Christians.

It isn't religion, it's epidemiology. And even in China, where they enforced police-control lockdowns with a power of government reach that even put Australia to shame, they're seeing a second and third wave.

You live on an island, with a relatively uncritical economy to the rest of the world, and with a relatively easy ability to lock down borders and prevent the flow of people. I suggest that's why you have open school and no masks.

And it might last. Or it might not last. But you should perhaps endeavor to be more thankful and less boastful.

15 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Woman not Lady or lady.

And I probably do know more about what's really happening in the USA than 50% of Americans.

PA is not really very representative of your average American is it? :rolleyes:

PA is not representative of the average American ... there are lots of millionaires with luxury homes and sailing yachts here. They can stay in quarantine if they choose, and likely never have to replace a broken axle in sub-zero weather, unless they choose to do so.

You are so far out of touch with "50% of Americans" that you have actually convinced yourself that you know more than they do.

8 hours ago, Fakenews said:

There’s evidence of a new Covid variant emerging in the US tentatively call the Trump variant

How about the Mikey Variant ? 

That sounds even more scary 

Noticing a continuation of the recent trend.  Good thing the weekend is here, so we can see the weekly lag in reporting.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 12.02.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 12.02.52 AM.png

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

You sound like one of those Westboro Baptist adherents who claims that the deaths of soldiers and policemen are due to homosexuals and non-Christians.

It isn't religion, it's epidemiology. And even in China, where they enforced police-control lockdowns with a power of government reach that even put Australia to shame, they're seeing a second and third wave.

You live on an island, with a relatively uncritical economy to the rest of the world, and with a relatively easy ability to lock down borders and prevent the flow of people. I suggest that's why you have open school and no masks.

And it might last. Or it might not last. But you should perhaps endeavor to be more thankful and less boastful.

And you could see see how your hubris leads to the spread of anti science..

11 hours ago, mikewof said:

PA is not representative of the average American ... there are lots of millionaires with luxury homes and sailing yachts here. They can stay in quarantine if they choose, and likely never have to replace a broken axle in sub-zero weather, unless they choose to do so.

You are so far out of touch with "50% of Americans" that you have actually convinced yourself that you know more than they do.

That's good Mikey. Posting that a website is not representative of America all the while telling everyone on the website how American you are.

1 USA 22,456,902 +301,655 378,149 +3,914

9th January 2021

I think Bus Driver alluded to the last couple of days at 4000+ deaths/day, but 301,000 infections in one day is just staggering.

Maybe the increased infection rate of the UK strain is starting to show up over there, it has sure concentrated the minds of those holding the reins here in Oz.

11 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

That's good Mikey. Posting that a website is not representative of America all the while telling everyone on the website how American you are.

If you think that doing an image search on Google for "american malls" and sorting by date is a better representation of what we actually see here, then you have rocks in your head, and you also have no idea how image tags are updated and optimized.

My state is very much like many other U.S. states, we have a law that requires the indoor use of masks in public spaces, and other than a handful of elderly who can't breathe well with the masks (and get the exemption) and young children (who are at risk from pneumonia) everyone wears masks. Further, as most any actual American can tell you, our malls were nearly empty before COVID, and they're even more empty now.

11 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

And you could see see how your hubris leads to the spread of anti science..

And you should be able to to see that anti-science is a feature of all sides of the political spectrum. But you don't, based on what you write.

For instance, this inspired bit of nonsense, currently popular with hordes of anti-scientists who have convinced themselves that they actually care deeply about the spread of virions ...

cotton-face-mask-with-eyeshieldandvalve-

12 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

How about the Mikey Variant ? 

That sounds even more scary 

If our medical institutions were run with your apparent level of scientific knowledge we would still saw off gangrenous limbs, wipe dirty hands on smocks in operation theaters and drill holes in skulls to release evil spirits.

But the wonderful thing about you, A.J., is the clear demonstration of the oxymoronic qualities of the words "political science."

57 minutes ago, mikewof said:

So, you don't understand that containing the droplet cloud is what the masks are for. What an idiot. Fucketh offeth already

3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

So, you don't understand that containing the droplet cloud is what the masks are for. What an idiot. Fucketh offeth already

Who was that masked man? said the Unaposter never. Could have been Trump looking out over one of his rallies. maroons. From experience Asian countries accept mask wearing as pretty normal, in China because of air pollution etc. Prolly just a YUGE coinikidink they are in such better shape.

9 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Actually, the virions without the hydration radius are apparently the most virulent and at less than 200 nanometers, transparent to nearly all masks. The surface-tension of the water seems to reduce the virulence of hydrated virions.

And for all your talk of anti-science, in fact you are ignorant that the valves defeat the whole point ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/08/13/cdc-mask-guidance-masks-valves/

7 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Who was that masked man? said the Unaposter never. Could have been Trump looking out over one of his rallies. maroons. From experience Asian countries accept mask wearing as pretty normal, in China because of air pollution etc. Prolly just a YUGE coinikidink they are in such better shape.

It has a valve, dummy.

15 hours ago, Frakka said:
1 USA 22,456,902 +301,655 378,149 +3,914

9th January 2021

I think Bus Driver alluded to the last couple of days at 4000+ deaths/day, but 301,000 infections in one day is just staggering.

Maybe the increased infection rate of the UK strain is starting to show up over there, it has sure concentrated the minds of those holding the reins here in Oz.

That's weird.  I just looked and saw a different number.  Still a staggering case rate and death toll.  And, as is typical, it is a bit lower, as it is the weekend.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.36.43 PM.png

Thinking maybe you were citing numbers from yesterday, before they were finalized - 

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 6.38.29 PM.png

On 1/5/2021 at 10:18 AM, Raz'r said:
On 1/5/2021 at 5:39 AM, Polytelum Tom said:

Andrew Cuomo's Vaccine Distribution Rules Are a Threat to Public Health

Control freaks are very strange people. I guess Cuomo's view is that the pharmacy mentioned at the end there should have just discarded the vaccine and paid the 100k fine.

Fines are a dumb way, give them a bonus for each injection done ahead of schedule

That could work, as could Biden's plan to release all available dose now.

(offered with apologies for the Koch-$pon$ored Biden cheerleading, of course.)

On 1/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, LenP said:

Policies like this rarely arise out of thin air, even if they are a poor solution to the problem they are addressing. There are plenty of unscrupulous owners of medical facilities including LTC facilities. For something like a vaccine to a deadly virus in the middle of a pandemic, the value of that vaccine is very high and leading to incentives for unscrupulous owners to game the system. Without good faith efforts on the part of owners, which unfortunately can not be counted on, it would be tempting for many of the owners to do things like schedule workers for their vaccine at times when they are known to not be available, thereby creating an inventory of about to expire vaccines which could be sold to the highest bidder. I think you could disincentive the profiteers by reclaiming any unused vaccines a few days before expiration and have the govt administer them directly or something similar to that. I don't particularly agree with how they are going about it, but I do understand there are some good reasons to not trust folks who have a history of not being trustworthy. 

Tossing vaccines is just plain stupid, but happening.

Predictably, The New York Times reported today that some clinics throughout New York City, like the Family Health Center of Harlem, are throwing out doses that are about to expire. Vials of the Moderna vaccine yield about 10 doses, so the clinic had to open two in order to vaccinate the 12 people who showed up to their evening appointments:

"After a quick search, the staff found three other eligible people, leaving five unused doses, Dr. Calman said.

The nurse at the clinic called her supervisor at home asking what to do with the remainder. From her home, the supervising nurse called her contact at the city's health department for guidance. She was told to try to find someone who fit the eligibility criteria and was encouraged to contact a nearby nursing home, an urgent care center and a women's shelter.

The nurse at the clinic set out on foot. She was turned away at the nursing home, a fire station and elsewhere, Dr. Calman said, before she was able to find one eligible and willing health care worker.

Dr. Calman said the nurse eventually threw out the remaining doses after the health department told the clinic that it could only vaccinate members of eligible groups."

In other words, massive fines are deterring health care workers from getting long-awaited vaccine doses to the people who need them. And they're right to be scared of those fines, which are not empty threats: A hospital in New Rochelle is under investigation for potential violation of the state's rules, and their vaccine doses have been seized and reallocated.

The state is wrong to put these medical workers in a horrifying ethical bind where they must choose between violating the governor's rules to help save people's lives, or throwing scarce resources out at a time when we're desperately attempting to reach herd immunity and avoid higher death tolls. Especially since vaccinating more people, whoever they are, is a Pareto improvement—something that would benefit at least one person (in this case, more than that, if vaccines reduce transmission too) while harming none.

Yeah, boy!  We sure are zooming upward.  Averaging nearly a quarter of a million cases, and more than 3,000 deaths......PER DAY.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.43.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.43.46 AM.png

440k COVID dead by Inauguration Day, bullshitters? That’s some testament to the power of bullshit. Maybe y’all should try playing it straight. 

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

440k COVID dead by Inauguration Day, bullshitters? That’s some testament to the power of bullshit. Maybe y’all should try playing it straight. 

@Dogwill be along shortly to whine that it's not just unfair to hold a leader responsible for his (in)actions, it's SO unfair.

2 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

@Dogwill be along shortly to whine that it's not just unfair to hold a leader responsible for his (in)actions, it's SO unfair.

This should be titled "A Guide to Alt-Right Wing Rhetoric", but it's close enough. 

138909918_10157595190101651_220732637836

28 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Just like clockwork.  Another record.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 11.19.59 PM.png

Until tomorrow I fear

On 1/13/2021 at 12:25 AM, Sol Rosenberg said:

I don't know why you fixate on Inauguration day.

It's not as if Joe B can wave a magic wand and make those 9.5 million currently infected  suddenly get up and walk away.

Nor will he be able to slow the spread down within weeks.

Nor can he get 340 million people vaccinated in a few months.

By 20 Jan, Trump will be gone and the virus will remain.

I'm not getting any joy out of spitting at bullshitters anymore. 

Anyway you cut this there'll be over half a million dead by April fools day and 700,000 gone if the bullshitter Governors won't suck it up and recant and make people mask up.

Sorry, I'm not being very cheerful today.

7 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

I don't know why you fixate on Inauguration day.

It's not as if Joe B can wave a magic wand and make those 9.5 million currently infected  suddenly get up and walk away.

Nor will he be able to slow the spread down within weeks.

Nor can he get 340 million people vaccinated in a few months.

By 20 Jan, Trump will be gone and the virus will remain.

I'm not getting any joy out of spitting at bullshitters anymore. 

Anyway you cut this there'll be over half a million dead by April fools day and 700,000 gone if the bullshitter Governors won't suck it up and recant and make people mask up.

Sorry, I'm not being very cheerful today.

Having a leader that doesn’t try to bullshit a virus into submission will make a difference, but I intend to highlight that difference. I will not let our bullshitters distract from the number of people their pied piper of bullshit allowed to be infected or killed on his watch, while they bullshitted. 

6 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Having a leader that doesn’t try to bullshit a virus into submission will make a difference, but I intend to highlight that difference. I will not let our bullshitters distract from the number of people their pied piper of bullshit allowed to be infected or killed on his watch, while they bullshitted. 

Fair enough, but I doubt any of OUR bullshitters read this thread.

4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

You should temper your optimism. Anti-maskers and virus hoaxers are deeply embedded in red states and red counties. They're not going to grow a brane on January 21.

6 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

You should temper your optimism. Anti-maskers and virus hoaxers are deeply embedded in red states and red counties. They're not going to grow a brane on January 21.

No, I don’t expect a rapid conversion of bullshitters, becoming believers of experts and/or scientists.  I do, however expect to see our leadership  make that switch. That alone will make a yuge difference. Bigly. 

Johnny One Tooth is not going to be led by that Democrat who stole the election.

6 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Johnny One Tooth is not going to be led by that Democrat who stole the election.

Darwin can handle him. we cannot reach him, so let him infect himself and his klan. 

We as a nation need to lead with science not bullshit. That will happen. The federal government has resources to get vaccinations into arms faster than when we just look for opportunities for photo ops and leave the work to others. Only the tone at the top can change overnight, but that will lead to more and faster change. 

I said months ago that the earliest the US would really get active in anything other than a herd immunity strategy would be 1/20/21...maybe. That maybe got dropped in November. We will still have a leader incapable of solving the crisis on his own, but this one won’t think that or act as if he alone can solve it. 

Where I can agree with you is that we should just Do The Right Thing. But the idea the Johnny is only going to infect the evangelical klan down at the gun club is nonsense. The virus isn't that smart.

5 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Where I can agree with you is that we should just Do The Right Thing. But the idea the Johnny is only going to infect the evangelical klan down at the gun club is nonsense. The virus isn't that smart.

Oh no, they will take some normal people with them. That’s a given. It is happening and will continue. Just look at the story about the assholes turning GOP Shit on the Capitol Day into a congressional superspreader event. For the most part though, they will infect the circle with which they hang. 

5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Fair enough, but I doubt any of OUR bullshitters read this thread.

Especially Joker.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Especially Joker.

If he missed it, Joker might use this one in a little while : a certain Bill Gates has declared a couple of weeks ago that the Biden govt would be eminently suited and have the right people to tackle the corona crisis. Knowing that the Joke invoked the same Bill Gates as a lameass excuse for the title of this thread, he will be happy to divert any future sarcasm to poor ole' Bille Gates ... 't wasn't me, 't was Bill that said it, eek eek.

My brother, his wife, and his daughter all have it now. He and his wife both are at higher risk from it. Thankfully my mother who lives with us is scheduled for the Vaccine in a few weeks, hoping we can continue to keep her safe until then. This all sucks donkey balls. #1 best my ass.