The Joker

US ranked #1 to best deal with a disease outbreak

Recommended Posts

Does anyone else remember the time when eminent scientists from around the world migrated to the USA because that was where the cutting edge work was being done?

Something happened.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Does anyone else remember the time when eminent scientists from around the world migrated to the USA because that was where the cutting edge work was being done?

Something happened.

What do you think that might be?

SdrBsvg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Understandable. The tax paid by individual smokers equals their own hospital. 

Addictive behaviour has consequences. Financial and health-wise.

But nobody 'deserves' to die of emphysema or lung cancer. It's all the fault of those tobacco companies for not making/selling a consequence-free product.

Meli has at least one thing in common with Trump. Neither believe in taking responsibility for their actions.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Georgia will be joining FL/TX/CA in a few more days in the multi-thousands of new cases club.  Michigan starting to tick up in outside of metro detroit.  How's Ohio doing, Lark?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Georgia will be joining FL/TX/CA in a few more days in the multi-thousands of new cases club.  Michigan starting to tick up in outside of metro detroit.  How's Ohio doing, Lark?  

How long before Michigan puts Florida travelers in quarantine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

How long before Michigan puts Florida travelers in quarantine?

I imagine they are discussing it already.  The mostly librul great lakes group of governors are all pretty sciencey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it looks like the South will rise again.  6 Confederate states in the +1,000 per day club, with Louisiana and Tennessee applying for entry.   Maybe they should add a skull to the crossbones on their favorite flag

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 4.49.05 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the world isn't doing so well either. Topping 10,000,000 cases.  With 25% here in the US of A.

 

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 4.45.41 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

But the world isn't doing so well either. Topping 10,000,000 cases.  With 25% here in the US of A.

US has 20 mill on its own ...,..

Quote

US officials believe as many as 20 million Americans have contracted the coronavirus, suggesting millions of people have had COVID-19 and never knew it.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/twenty-million-americans-may-have-had-covid-19-as-new-cases-surge-20200626-p556c4.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Well, it looks like the South will rise again.  6 Confederate states in the +1,000 per day club, with Louisiana and Tennessee applying for entry.   Maybe they should add a skull to the crossbones on their favorite flag

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 4.49.05 PM.png

American Exceptionalism - 4.25% of the world population and 25% of the Covid cases.

#1 with a bullet.

MAGA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mid said:

US officials believe as many as 20 million Americans have contracted the coronavirus, suggesting millions of people have had COVID-19 and never knew it.

see what less testing will do for ya .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Well, it looks like the South will rise again.  6 Confederate states in the +1,000 per day club, with Louisiana and Tennessee applying for entry.   Maybe they should add a skull to the crossbones on their favorite flag

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 4.49.05 PM.png

Note that if you click on the column title you sort based on that column. Click twice to reverse sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

American Exceptionalism - 4.25% of the world population and 25% of the Covid cases.

#1 with a bullet.

MAGA

Brazil looks like it want to challenge but a long way to go to catch #1. What do these countries have in common?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I imagine they are discussing it already.  The mostly librul great lakes group of governors are all pretty sciencey

https://ohiochannel.org/video/governor-mike-dewine-6-25-2020-covid-19-update

Yes, but the statehouse and other political constraints are daunting,   Two interesting things from this pressor:   the Republican anti mask philosophy makes the simple and easy things hard; our worst counties, Cincinnati area, share a boarder with Indiana and Kentucky,   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Addictive behaviour has consequences. Financial and health-wise.

Young women to date certainly financial but nothing health wise to blame on that addiction....well until that future heart attack from not keeping up :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Left Shift said:

But the world isn't doing so well either. Topping 10,000,000 cases.  With 25% here in the US of A.

Forget about total cases....just concentrate on new confirmed cases. Of new cases Brazil and the US followed by India are virtually the world. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Brazil looks like it want to challenge but a long way to go to catch #1. What do these countries have in common?

"Democratically" elected narcissistic idiots for presidents?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump and the Trumplicans are hell bent on repealing Obamacare thus eliminating health care insurance for millions of people. We should really be #1 if that happens, I mean if the virus don't get you, the bankruptcy will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Trump and the Trumplicans are hell bent on repealing Obamacare thus eliminating health care insurance for millions of people. We should really be #1 if that happens, I mean if the virus don't get you, the bankruptcy will.

Any estimates on how many of the lower income Trump voters would be affected be losing Obamacare?

Hell, they might not like it that much, because of the name and so on, but when they are entitled to get it they might actually need it, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Grog said:

Any estimates on how many of the lower income Trump voters would be affected be losing Obamacare?

Hell, they might not like it that much, because of the name and so on, but when they are entitled to get it they might actually need it, no?

One of the greatest tricks of the Southern Strategy was convincing the white working man to vote against his own best interests.  Wasn't an accident.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Grog said:

Any estimates on how many of the lower income Trump voters would be affected be losing Obamacare?

Hell, they might not like it that much, because of the name and so on, but when they are entitled to get it they might actually need it, no?

The "sell" will be "You will still get critical healthcare!"

the untold truth, you will be looking at personal bankruptcy if you need said healthcare, let alone the lack of access to what most people would say is necessary healthcare but isn't available for "free"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

One of the greatest tricks of the Southern Strategy was convincing the white working man to vote against his own best interests.  Wasn't an accident.

No surprise here. I am more worried on the impact on blue collar people facing ruin and eviction to save a loved one.

Presuming they still can vote from a tent ...

 

11 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

The "sell" will be "You will still get critical healthcare!"

the untold truth, you will be looking at personal bankruptcy if you need said healthcare, let alone the lack of access to what most people would say is necessary healthcare but isn't available for "free"

I thought so, although not familiar with the details.

The current way of capitalism is WAY overdrawn and needs a major overhaul. As does your voting system and the "votable" personell.

That's a lot of homework for the most exceptional nation in the world. (No sarcasm here, actually.)

I think there still is hope and I am with you. Get to work! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Grog said:

Any estimates on how many of the lower income Trump voters would be affected be losing Obamacare?

Hell, they might not like it that much, because of the name and so on, but when they are entitled to get it they might actually need it, no?

Zero lower income people will be affected by repeal of Obamacare - They won’t be asked or counted. Simple science fact!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Trump and the Trumplicans are hell bent on repealing Obamacare thus eliminating health care insurance for millions of people. We should really be #1 if that happens, I mean if the virus don't get you, the bankruptcy will.

If the Supremes gut it, the Republicans can pass something effectively the same, call it Trumpcare and then campaign on how he saved the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hasher said:

If the Supremes gut it, the Republicans can pass something effectively the same, call it Trumpcare and then campaign on how he saved the day.

Might as well guy it and let the new Biden/Dem Congress replace with a German-style base public paid, private comprehensive insurance system.

Basically, base Medicaid for all with premium for those who want it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Trump and the Trumplicans are hell bent on repealing Obamacare thus eliminating health care insurance for millions of people. We should really be #1 if that happens, I mean if the virus don't get you, the bankruptcy will.

Fuck the poor. I just got Medicare. Dropped that subsidized Obamacare. I got mine, so yeah, repeal it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Might as well guy it and let the new Biden/Dem Congress replace with a German-style base public paid, private comprehensive insurance system.

Basically, base Medicaid for all with premium for those who want it. 

I can't understand why anyone not in on the largess would support our overpriced and under performing medical industry.  It would save corporations and really most employers an enormous amount.  Seems like that would raise the tide for everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hasher said:

I can't understand why anyone not in on the largess would support our overpriced and under performing medical industry.  It would save corporations and really most employers an enormous amount.  Seems like that would raise the tide for everyone.

Well, there's your problem right there. Only the 1% should float.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Well, there's your problem right there. Only the 1% should float.

Biden has no intention of sinking the 1%, but they might ride a little lower in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hasher said:

Biden has no intention of sinking the 1%, but they might ride a little lower in the water.

They will still be the 1%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

They will still be the 1%

They have started sending Biden money already to secure their place at the head of the table.  If 50 million people sent Biden $5 he would be less beholden to the those who buy $10,000 chicken dinners to be in the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Approaching 43k new confirmed cases today, Bullshitters. We’re over 2.5 million confirmed cases now, with 127k dead Americans. 
 

We are definitely #1!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raz'r said:

They will still be the 1%

The 1% isn't the real problem.  It's the 00.01%.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 5:18 PM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Brazil looks like it want to challenge but a long way to go to catch #1. What do these countries have in common?

They are led by stupid people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, El Boracho said:

Fuck the poor. I just got Medicare. Dropped that subsidized Obamacare. I got mine, so yeah, repeal it! 

Well, you'll be O/K as long as they keep their government hands off your Medicare.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to phase 2. Even though you assholes couldn’t barely keep phase one in check until even September like the rest of the world.  Just a flu.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 5:32 AM, Shortforbob said:

yeah, I was talking about resources.

It's so sad that politics are distorting this and undermining all the efforts that individuals have put into trying to slow this down.

Red state, blue state. 

You'd seemingly have that even without Trump's corruption. 

In a press conference yesterday, Cuomo (governor of my very blue State) mentioned that his Chief of Staff is in touch with her counterparts in Arizona, Texas, and Florida (red States starting to hit capacity), to offer whatever help we can.  Said it was an "open-ended" offer: ventilators, PPE, medical staff... whatever they need.

This is less than a week after he warned them, not to politicize re-openings. 

AFAIK, he's resisted the urge to say "I tried to warn you..."  He's just asked them what they need. 

It's not that the States don't co-operate.  It's that the Federal Government is supposed to co-ordinate that mutual aid, and hasn't been.  If anything, Trump tried to divide them against one another, instead. 

That doesn't mean it worked.  NYers were spotting a lot of cars with license plates from southern states, in hospital parking lots, a month ago.  Now, southern hospitals will see cars with NY plates in their parking lots... 

 

 

edit: did you see the conference, 2 months ago, when NY was in PPE shortage, where Cuomo read this letter from tha farmer in Kansas who'd mailed him his spare mask?  It was so fuckin touching, for a minute the cynic in me thought he'd decided to run for President, after all...

Anyways: Kansas is a very red State. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, roundthebuoys said:

Welcome to phase 2. Even though you assholes couldn’t barely keep phase one in check until even September like the rest of the world.  Just a flu.

We’re still in wave one, but phase one (of the FL reopening) lasted about a week, before we jumped to phase 2. Shit, it wasn’t more than a week ago thereabouts, that Bullshitters were asking if DeSantis was due an apology. That’s some good bullshit right there. 
 

9000 yesterday. Good job Bullshitters. We’re number 1!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frenchie said:

In a press conference yesterday, Cuomo (governor of my very blue State) mentioned that his Chief of Staff is in touch with her counterparts in Arizona, Texas, and Florida (red States starting to hit capacity), to offer whatever help we can.  Said it was an "open-ended" offer: ventilators, PPE, medical staff... whatever they need.

This is less than a week after he warned them, not to politicize re-openings. 

AFAIK, he's resisted the urge to say "I tried to warn you..."  He's just asked them what they need. 

It's not that the States don't co-operate.  It's that the Federal Government is supposed to co-ordinate that mutual aid, and hasn't been.  If anything, Trump tried to divide them against one another, instead. 

That doesn't mean it worked.  NYers were spotting a lot of cars with license plates from southern states, in hospital parking lots, a month ago.  Now, southern hospitals will see cars with NY plates in their parking lots... 

 

 

edit: did you see the conference, 2 months ago, when NY was in PPE shortage, where Cuomo read this letter from tha farmer in Kansas who'd mailed him his spare mask?  It was so fuckin touching, for a minute the cynic in me thought he'd decided to run for President, after all...

Anyways: Kansas is a very red State. 

 

 

 

I'm glad :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, d'ranger said:

One of the greatest tricks of the Southern Strategy was convincing the white working man to vote against his own best interests.  Wasn't an accident.

And that same identical trick was played in the UK with Brexit! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mad said:
On 6/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, d'ranger said:

One of the greatest tricks of the Southern Strategy was convincing the white working man to vote against his own best interests.  Wasn't an accident.

And that same identical trick was played in the UK with Brexit! 

It's what the Republicans do best. It's an odd version of diplomacy.

Ya gotta give them credit, they do an incredibly effective job of it - just look at the elk here.

image.png.8619bac9ad86167717d29ca64d53d691.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted this elsewhre, but it really belongs here:

So...My sister has been working on global health issues for some decades.  Tlaking today, she pointed out that Rwanda, where she has often traveled has about the same number of people as Washington State.  8.3 Million vs. 7.6 Million.

 Here's how they two places are doing:

Rwanda - Widely known as a shithole country, but one that has a national health care system, shut down early and fast, and learned powerful lessons from managing Ebola: 

        Covid-19 Cases total:  150

        Covid-19 Deaths total:  1                          

Washington - Home of some of the the wealthiest people on the planet, prides itself on health research institutions, and one that did better than many states

        Covid-19 Cases total:  32,000 

        Covid-19 Deaths total:  1,300

So much fucking winning!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rwandans like to kill each other themselves with machetes and guns and stuff.

They don't want no stinkin' Covid joining in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Rwandans like to kill each other themselves with machetes and guns and stuff.

They don't want no stinkin' Covid joining in.

25 years ago.  They've come a long way since then.

That said, I'd take their official numbers with a huge grain of salt.  Not exactly noted for a free press... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frenchie said:

25 years ago.  They've come a long way since then.

That said, I'd take their official numbers with a huge grain of salt.  Not exactly noted for a free press... 

They haven't come all that far. My opinion based on knowing a handful of the Rwandan refugees who won the refugee lottery and got Australian visas. Some of their kin are in Uganda and can't go back across the border for fear of being either killed, jailed or enslaved (indentured servitude). They're trying to get the surviving child of a sister who died over there out ATM.

And yeah I'd not trust their numbers at all. The sad thing is, once I'd have implicitly trusted the figures from the USA without a second thought. Now - no fucking way, not when you have a President who boasts that he directed that testing be slowed/crippled so as to make the numbers look better. That's 3rd World dictatorship bullshit.

FKT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have to wonder what the number will be on Election Day? 250k or more or will it have “gone away”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

So I have to wonder what the number will be on Election Day? 250k or more or will it have “gone away”?

If we’re lucky trump and pence will have both gotten it. Yep, I’m a hateful liberal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is the Joker and his "#1 ranking"?

Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases

Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases compared to last week -- Connecticut and Rhode Island.

A rise was reported in a staggering 36 states, including Florida, which some experts have cautioned could be the next epicenter for infections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Posted this elsewhre, but it really belongs here:

So...My sister has been working on global health issues for some decades.  Tlaking today, she pointed out that Rwanda, where she has often traveled has about the same number of people as Washington State.  8.3 Million vs. 7.6 Million.

 Here's how they two places are doing:

Rwanda - Widely known as a shithole country, but one that has a national health care system, shut down early and fast, and learned powerful lessons from managing Ebola: 

        Covid-19 Cases total:  150

        Covid-19 Deaths total:  1                          

Washington - Home of some of the the wealthiest people on the planet, prides itself on health research institutions, and one that did better than many states

        Covid-19 Cases total:  32,000 

        Covid-19 Deaths total:  1,300

So much fucking winning!!!!!

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Rwandans like to kill each other themselves with machetes and guns and stuff.

They don't want no stinkin' Covid joining in.

 

7 hours ago, frenchie said:

25 years ago.  They've come a long way since then.

That said, I'd take their official numbers with a huge grain of salt.  Not exactly noted for a free press... 

 

6 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

They haven't come all that far. My opinion based on knowing a handful of the Rwandan refugees who won the refugee lottery and got Australian visas. Some of their kin are in Uganda and can't go back across the border for fear of being either killed, jailed or enslaved (indentured servitude). They're trying to get the surviving child of a sister who died over there out ATM.

And yeah I'd not trust their numbers at all.

 

As one side was reduced to one-third their number the racial issue has toned down. Take note US the rascists are the one-third.

As far as the truth goes they are possibly a long way ahead of the US. Post conflict the winners tried to rewrite history. There is a law that now prevents that which is pretty enlightened. A speed bump when cases arise is those from the outside world trying to push their free speech trip upon them. Guess where they are from?

They actually have a drama bigger than Convid and because of WHO's presence on the ground their Convid stats are probably more accurate than you think. For instance this Malaria report Rawanda 2017 WHO 

Rawanda is part of the Sub Sahara (think bottom 2/3 of Africa) home to over 90% of world's malaria cases and deaths. WHO World Malaria Report, December 2019, indicates worldwide there were 228 million cases of malaria in 2018 and malaria deaths stood at 405,000 in 2018. 

Rawandas malaria prevalence is associated with lower income, non-compliance with bed-net usage and living below 1700 m of altitude. Study January 2020 - "Determinants of the persistence of malaria in Rwanda."

Rawanda  lose around 3k per year to malaria. That may double this year because of disruptions to their insecticide-treated net campaigns and in access to antimalarial medicines, compounded by Coronavirus. 

So in light of the above putting Rawanda Convid stats up against the US as Left has done IMO is open season and any qualification pretty low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

They haven't come all that far. My opinion based on knowing a handful of the Rwandan refugees who won the refugee lottery and got Australian visas. Some of their kin are in Uganda and can't go back across the border for fear of being either killed, jailed or enslaved (indentured servitude). They're trying to get the surviving child of a sister who died over there out ATM.

And yeah I'd not trust their numbers at all. The sad thing is, once I'd have implicitly trusted the figures from the USA without a second thought. Now - no fucking way, not when you have a President who boasts that he directed that testing be slowed/crippled so as to make the numbers look better. That's 3rd World dictatorship bullshit.

FKT

Nowhere in Africa seems to have come very far during my lifetime.

My first geopolitical awareness came with the Katanga rebellion in the Congo in 1961.

Since then virtually every country in Africa has seen rebellion, coups, genocide, starvation, general savagery - you name it. Biafra, S. Africa, Zaire, Angloa, Rwanda, CAR, Uganda, Sudan, Libya etc. etc.

Now guess where the latest conflict is?

That's right, full circle to the Congo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Where is the Joker and his "#1 ranking"?

Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases

Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases compared to last week -- Connecticut and Rhode Island.

A rise was reported in a staggering 36 states, including Florida, which some experts have cautioned could be the next epicenter for infections.

On 4/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, The Joker said:

When we all realize that  shutting the entire country down while destroying the economy, over this was a knee jerk reaction, that was in part,  driven by politics.

Florida is a great example  Where are the 10,000. 25,000 , 50,000 dead that were being predicted?   Spring break is exactly opposite of social distancing, yet FL hasn't seen the same death spiral as NY   I think we need to know why.

Florida may have already peaked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Joke gives Jim Hoft of the Gateway Pundit a run for his money as “the stupidest man on the Internet” each and every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida making a run for #1 with 10,682 new cases counted today. Good work, Bullshitters. Love your Freedom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Nowhere in Africa seems to have come very far during my lifetime.

My first geopolitical awareness came with the Katanga rebellion in the Congo in 1961.

Since then virtually every country in Africa has seen rebellion, coups, genocide, starvation, general savagery - you name it. Biafra, S. Africa, Zaire, Angloa, Rwanda, CAR, Uganda, Sudan, Libya etc. etc.

Now guess where the latest conflict is?

That's right, full circle to the Congo.

Well, the statistics I posted came from the person - my sister - who has worked in with the Rwandan health ministry for 15 years and who's company wrote the disease-tracking software and installed the nationwide cellular-based medical information network.  Her company also worked on installing and trialling similar cellular-based health care systems in Peru, Iraq and Indonesia.

I'd trust her data reports more than anyone.  

BTW, The Dem. Rep of the Congo stirred up Ebola again in 2019, an outbreak which Rwanda has successfully contained along their shared border.

 

As an aside, she has been kind of adventurous.  She has worked in Africa for about 50 years, including being a photographer in her early 20's in Katanga province during that war, traveled through Mali and Chad alone as a journalist, then worked with USAID on women's healthcare in Egypt and Tunisia.  She also - as a bit of a lark - thought she's take a nap on Idi Amin's fur-covered bed during a conference in his former palace.  She was swarmed by a massive case of flea and other biting bugs and was hospitalized for a week.  Ooops.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  On 4/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, The Joker said:
When we all realize that  shutting the entire country down while destroying the economy, over this was a knee jerk reaction, that was in part,  driven by politics.

Florida is a great example  Where are the 10,000. 25,000 , 50,000 dead that were being predicted?   Spring break is exactly opposite of social distancing, yet FL hasn't seen the same death spiral as NY   I think we need to know why.

 

Patience Grasshopper.  Incubation is like the fog...It comes quietly and sits over the land on it's silent haunches.  

And then there is the admitted cooking of the Florida medical books.  Some people have said - without evidence - that they don't trust a country like Rwanda to have accurate data.  I'd bet on Rwanda well before I trusted information coming from Florida or Texas at the state level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm feeling a need to defend my grain of salt comment, now.  I'll just point out that:

  • Paul Kagame's been in power for 2 decades, after rewriting the constitution to abolish term limits; he supposedly won the last election with 99% of the vote (?!?). 
  • the best thing his government's done (emphasize, in every way possible  -  in media, education, and politics  -  people's common interest as Rwandans, while censoring those who seek to identify more along Tutsi/Hutu tribal lines) has also provide cover for repressing opposition journalists and politicians.  People who oppose Kagame tend to wind up dead or... in jail for genocide denial. 
  • their constitution only guarantees free speech "where it does not prejudice public order, good morals, the protection of the youth and children, the right of every citizen to honour and dignity and protection of personal and family privacy."

All of which is to say: if they were fudging their numbers, you wouldn't know about it.  It'd be illegal to point it out, or even question the official numbers.  We'd have no way of finding out, really.

NONE of which is to say that they haven't come a long fuckin way since the mid-90's.  They have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nowhere in Africa seems to have come very far during my lifetime.

My first geopolitical awareness came with the Katanga rebellion in the Congo in 1961.

Since then virtually every country in Africa has seen rebellion, coups, genocide, starvation, general savagery - you name it. Biafra, S. Africa, Zaire, Angloa, Rwanda, CAR, Uganda, Sudan, Libya etc. etc.

Now guess where the latest conflict is?

That's right, full circle to the Congo.

Let's not overlook Zimbabwe where Mugabe took over a functional economy, a place that exported food, had a decent industrial base, rail system, roads and health/education. He destroyed all that in less than a generation.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Let's not overlook Zimbabwe where Mugabe took over a functional economy, a place that exported food, had a decent industrial base, rail system, roads and health/education. He destroyed all that in less than a generation.

FKT

Sheee-it, man.  If you're really good, you can do that in 3.5 years.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Left Shift said:
  On 4/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, The Joker said:
When we all realize that  shutting the entire country down while destroying the economy, over this was a knee jerk reaction, that was in part,  driven by politics.

Florida is a great example  Where are the 10,000. 25,000 , 50,000 dead that were being predicted?   Spring break is exactly opposite of social distancing, yet FL hasn't seen the same death spiral as NY   I think we need to know why.

 

Patience Grasshopper.  Incubation is like the fog...It comes quietly and sits over the land on it's silent haunches.  

And then there is the admitted cooking of the Florida medical books.  Some people have said - without evidence - that they don't trust a country like Rwanda to have accurate data.  I'd bet on Rwanda well before I trusted information coming from Florida or Texas at the state level.

Are you plagiarizing or just misquoting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Are you plagiarizing or just misquoting? 

Riffing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Plagiarising then.

Sure.  That's what that was.  Mea fuckin' culpa.

Totally guilty of taking a extraordinarily well known poem, repurposing it's core metaphor and hiding behind my mom's skirts hoping nobody notices, and then moving on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nowhere in Africa seems to have come very far during my lifetime.

My first geopolitical awareness came with the Katanga rebellion in the Congo in 1961.

Since then virtually every country in Africa has seen rebellion, coups, genocide, starvation, general savagery - you name it. Biafra, S. Africa, Zaire, Angloa, Rwanda, CAR, Uganda, Sudan, Libya etc. etc.

Now guess where the latest conflict is?

That's right, full circle to the Congo.

4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Let's not overlook Zimbabwe where Mugabe took over a functional economy, a place that exported food, had a decent industrial base, rail system, roads and health/education. He destroyed all that in less than a generation.

FKT

And yet  -  the continent's literacy rate is 10% higher than in 1994.  Child malnutrition is down, also about 10%. 

The number of armed conflicts has been on an uptick the last few years, but the number of deaths they cause continues to drop (they're smaller conflicts). 

There's less coups than there used to be, and more multi-party elections. 

Since 1990, life expectancy's gone up about ten years. 

The region's still a bit of a basket case, but it's still better than it was 30 years ago, and a fuckload better than 60 years ago.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, frenchie said:

And yet  -  the continent's literacy rate is 10% higher than in 1994.  Child malnutrition is down, also about 10%. 

The number of armed conflicts has been on an uptick the last few years, but the number of deaths they cause continues to drop (they're smaller conflicts). 

There's less coups than there used to be, and more multi-party elections. 

Since 1990, life expectancy's gone up about ten years. 

The region's still a bit of a basket case, but it's still better than it was 30 years ago, and a fuckload better than 60 years ago.

I really wish they'd get their collective act together. If they are on a road to improvement of both economic outcomes and human rights, great. It's been my opinion that a lot of stuff we in the First World take for granted exists only because we're energy rich and have resources to spare over & above what's needed for daily survival.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Plagiarising then.

Why be such a nit-picker? 

He didn't even use the same words. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I really wish they'd get their collective act together.

Patrice Lamumba 

Also read John Stockwell's "In Search of Enemies" if you think the G-8 are just so blameless 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Patrice Lamumba 

Also read John Stockwell's "In Search of Enemies" if you think the G-8 are just so blameless 

Please quote or reference any post I've ever made where I state that I "think the G-8 are just so blameless "

You can't do it because I never have but that won't stop you from bloviating on and avoiding admitting that you pulled that out of your arse.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Please quote or reference any post I've ever made where I state that I "think the G-8 are just so blameless "

You can't do it because I never have but that won't stop you from bloviating on and avoiding admitting that you pulled that out of your arse.

The point is, and I thought it was totally obvious, that the so-called developed world has made it quite difficult for 

Africa to progress.  You wrote about Africa getting "their collective act together", so I called you on that over-simplification, 

and next time I'll do it again where appropriate. 

You seem to be averse to learning new things . .   seriously, check out Stockwell  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1150248.In_Search_of_Enemies

And the story of Patrice Lamumba is also instructive - taking him out by the CIA paved the way for decades of brutal corruption. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I really wish they'd get their collective act together. If they are on a road to improvement of both economic outcomes and human rights, great. It's been my opinion that a lot of stuff we in the First World take for granted exists only because we're energy rich and have resources to spare over & above what's needed for daily survival.

FKT

Yeah, it definitely does help to be on this side of the colonial & post-colonial relationships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

The point is, and I thought it was totally obvious, that the so-called developed world has made it quite difficult for 

Africa to progress.  You wrote about Africa getting "their collective act together", so I called you on that over-simplification, 

and next time I'll do it again where appropriate. 

You seem to be averse to learning new things . .   seriously, check out Stockwell  

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1150248.In_Search_of_Enemies

And the story of Patrice Lamumba is also instructive - taking him out by the CIA paved the way for decades of brutal corruption. 

So, basically, you pulled that out of your arse - as usual.

Explain to me, oh professor of poly-ticks, what happened to Zimbabwe after the illegitimate Smith Govt collapsed. How did a rich country end up where it is today? Even after years of sanctions, it was still a pretty high-functioning economy that could feed, educate and provide health care for the population. I've no time at all for how they disenfranchised the majority of the population, so don't go there, on that we likely agree. What I want to hear is your take on how Mugabe et al are or aren't responsible for what happened.

Frenchie, yes, colonisation and its after-effects fucked over a hell of a lot of ex-colonies, the boundaries alone were total artifacts and caused ongoing fights between people who thought 'tribe' over 'nation'. But nonetheless, it's not great how things have gone in the in some cases 50+ years since then (Kenya in 1963).

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 10:35 PM, frenchie said:

And yet  -  the continent's literacy rate is 10% higher than in 1994.  Child malnutrition is down, also about 10%. 

The number of armed conflicts has been on an uptick the last few years, but the number of deaths they cause continues to drop (they're smaller conflicts). 

There's less coups than there used to be, and more multi-party elections. 

Since 1990, life expectancy's gone up about ten years. 

The region's still a bit of a basket case, but it's still better than it was 30 years ago, and a fuckload better than 60 years ago.

 

I have mentioned elsewhere about volunteering in Lesotho so know something about this tiny country. Its government is democratically elected and works OK, not great. Income inequality is one of the worst in the world. At the same time the HIV/AIDS infection rate is improving steadily and the economy is improving at least partly because of investments from China and Taiwan. Most impressively, the country spends more of its GDP on education than any country in the world. Africa is getting better but like most things we are impatient and want things to improve dramatically in five or ten years. Improvements will be generational in nature. No one wants to hear that but that is the reality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm..back to the OP.

Looks like the USA is first.

Gets first dibs in buying up the worlds supply of one of the only drugs shown to help recovery:angry:

US buys up world stock of key Covid-19 drug

Sarah Boseley 

Sarah Boseley

The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe or most of the rest of the world.

Experts and access to medicines campaigners are alarmed both by the US unilateral action on remdesivir and the wider implications, for instance in the event of a vaccine becoming available. The Trump administration has already shown it is prepared to outbid and outmanoeuvre all other countries to secure the medical supplies it needs for the US.

“They’ve got access to most of the drug supply [of remdesivir] so there’s nothing for Europe,” said Dr Andrew Hill, senior visiting research fellow at Liverpool University.

Remdesivir, the first drug approved by licensing authorities in the US to treat Covid-19, is made by Gilead. It has been shown to help people recover faster from the disease. The first 140,000 doses, supplied to drug trials around the world, have been used up. The Trump administration has now bought more than 500,000 doses, which is all of Gilead’s production for July and 90% of August and September.

“President Trump has struck an amazing deal to ensure Americans have access to the first authorised therapeutic for Covid-19,” said the US health and human services secretary Alex Azar. “To the extent possible, we want to ensure that any American patient who needs remdesivir can get it. The Trump administration is doing everything in our power to learn more about life-saving therapeutics for Covid-19 and secure access to these options for the American people.”

Read the full story:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remdesivir Priced At More Than $3,100 For A Course Of Treatment

Quote

 

In the United States, Gilead Sciences will charge $520 per vial for patients with private insurance, with some government programs getting a lower price. With a double-dose the first day, that comes out to $3,120 for the five-day treatment course. For governments in developed countries outside the U.S., it will cost $390 per vial, or $2,340 for the five-day course. How much uninsured patients would pay is still unclear.

 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/29/884648842/remdesivir-priced-at-more-than-3-100-for-a-course-of-treatment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Of the 61 patients who received at least one dose of remdesivir, data from 8 could not be analyzed (including 7 patients with no post-treatment data and 1 with a dosing error). Of the 53 patients whose data were analyzed, 22 were in the United States, 22 in Europe or Canada, and 9 in Japan. At baseline, 30 patients (57%) were receiving mechanical ventilation and 4 (8%) were receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. During a median follow-up of 18 days, 36 patients (68%) had an improvement in oxygen-support class, including 17 of 30 patients (57%) receiving mechanical ventilation who were extubated. A total of 25 patients (47%) were discharged, and 7 patients (13%) died; mortality was 18% (6 of 34) among patients receiving invasive ventilation and 5% (1 of 19) among those not receiving invasive ventilation.

CONCLUSIONS

In this cohort of patients hospitalized for severe Covid-19 who were treated with compassionate-use remdesivir, clinical improvement was observed in 36 of 53 patients (68%). Measurement of efficacy will require ongoing randomized, placebo-controlled trials of remdesivir therapy. (Funded by Gilead Sciences.)

 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why the USA is buying up half a million doses for the next three months.

It's only useful in the most sever cases.

Could it be that the people who really know the projected numbers are anticipating half a million critical cases by September?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I don't get why the USA is buying up half a million doses for the next three months.

It's only useful in the most sever cases.

Could it be that the people who really know the projected numbers are anticipating half a million critical cases by September?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh..before Joker et al go rushing off to their Stock broker

Interesting tit bit

Adrug maker in Bangladesh has become the first company to sell a generic version of remdesivir, the latest sign of how the push to ensure widespread access to Covid-19 medicines and vaccines has become an urgent issue in poor countries.

Following an emergency decree issued by the Bangladesh government, Beximco Pharmaceuticals is donating copies of the Gilead Sciences (GILD) medicine to state-run hospitals free of charge, but will sell the intravenous treatment to private clinics. Moreover, the company is reportedly willing to export its version if other governments request the drug, although it does not have a license from Gilead to do so.

Beximco is able to take this step under provisions of a World Trade Organization agreement, which permits a “least-developed” country to grant a public agency or a company a license to copy a patented medicine without the consent of the patent holder. As a result, Bangladesh is not required to grant pharmaceutical patents until 2033.

Good stuff!! :)

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2020/05/22/gilead-remdesivir-covid19-coronavirus-beximco-patent/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites