terrafirma

52 Super Series Thread

I can't find a thread on this which started yesterday in Cape Town? Quantum off to a bad start and I'm wondering if they are missing Hutch big time? With 9-10 teams perhaps this could be the format for an affordable Americas Cup? Races 3 and 4 start in a couple of hours.

https://www.52superseries.com/

• Like 2

Ocean race anarchy? Not sure what what wrong with the normal thread 

Thank you for starting this thread.  Good racing.

1 hour ago, JL92S said:

Read the above. I couldn't find the normal thread.?

11 minutes ago, terrafirma said:
1 hour ago, JL92S said:

Read the above. I couldn't find the normal thread.?

Well if we can have multiple threads about laser dinghies and gel-coat repairs etc, one extra for the TP 52's should fine. :)

8 minutes ago, mad said:

Well if we can have multiple threads about laser dinghies and gel-coat repairs etc, one extra for the TP 52's should fine. :)

Happy to move it if someone can find the original thread? 

Seems like Alegre (sb) and Sled (port) had a collision in race 1 today, and Sled did not start in race 2. Any intel? Sled got RDG on both races, on the tracer it seems they where on port tack.? Any jury desicions....?

"52 Super Series 2020 - Odzala Discovery Camps V&A Waterfront – Cape Town, RSA" - Playlist

Day 1:

Highlights Day1
Day1 Race1 Chasecam B-roll
Day1 Race1 Drone B-roll
Day1 Race2 Chasecam B-roll
Day1 Race2 Drone B-roll
Interview Hasso Plattner Phoenix11
Interview Paul Wilcox Phoenix11
Interview Seb Tenghage Alegre
Interview Michele Paoletti Azzurra
Interview Ian Ainslie Assistant Race Officer

• Like 2

Sled had a broken shroud after the collision with Alegre - hopefully they've been able to repair it overnight.

Capetown looks like an awesome venue for these boats. I think Quantum have had another crew change this year and they seem to be needing some time to settle in - this happened last year too but by the end of event 1 they were back in the podium finishes, maybe the same this time around?

Phoenix have been training in Capetown since early January and it shows, solid start by Hasso on the 11 boat. Azzura just ticking away getting it done as per usual, ev3n with a new after-guard lineup...

Maybe this new thread will get some more attention, I've been wondering why the 52 series has had so little interest here for the last few years; it's some of the tightest racing with boats that are way quicker than 99% of sailors get to play with but still entirely relatable as a fixed keel monohull plus free live-tracking and video coverage.. isn't this what everyone was saying they missed over in the AC threads???

For more footage check out the @checconaglia account on instagram - Checco is  drone pilot who shoots footage for a bunch of TP teams and posts a lot on his account, really cool stuff...

• Like 1

Sounds like Sled are out for the whole regatta - gutting for them, such close racing with no discards means this could impact the entire season...

1 hour ago, NZK said:

Sounds like Sled are out for the whole regatta - gutting for them, such close racing with no discards means this could impact the entire season...

Presumably, they get average points for the remainder of this regatta.

10 hours ago, NZK said:

Maybe this new thread will get some more attention, I've been wondering why the 52 series has had so little interest here for the last few years; it's some of the tightest racing with boats that are way quicker than 99% of sailors get to play with but still entirely relatable as a fixed keel monohull plus free live-tracking and video coverage.. isn't this what everyone was saying they missed over in the AC threads???

IMO, the bulk of the people on this site have transitioned from actual racers to armchair drama sailors. Keep the info coming for the 52SS. I’m looking forward to the live races and wish they would do full race replays for each race. 

Day 2 added to the playlist:

Highlights Day2
Day2 Race3 ChaseCam B-roll
Day2 Race3 Drone B-roll
Day2 Race4 ChaseCam B-roll
Day2 Race4 Drone B-roll
Interview Alberto Barovier Bronenosec
Interview Andy Horton Phoenix11
Interview Guillermo Parada Azzurra
Interview Jean Luc Petithuguenin Paprec
Interview Andy Soriano Alegre

• Like 1

Thanks Ren.   I wish they would make the highlights longer.

37 minutes ago, DtM said:

Thanks Ren.   I wish they would make the highlights longer.

Indeed.

Some more B-roll stuff of day 3 added to the playlist. Interviews will be uploaded probably tomorrow when available.

Day3 Race5 ChaseCam B-roll
Day3 Race5 Drone B-roll
Day3 Race6 ChaseCam B-roll
Day3 Race6 Drone B-roll
Highlights Day3

7 hours ago, Spreader Boots said:

IMO, the bulk of the people on this site have transitioned from actual racers to armchair drama sailors. 

Awesome.

Yes looks like Sled are getting averaged so good news for them. I was watching the racing via Virtual Eye but it was dropping boats and made it hard sometimes. Alegre would be right up there if it weren't for her penalty and DNF. They are sailing very well and just as a comparison. If you replaced their DNF=11 with even a 6 they would be second. 

Alegre 

7 1 DNF 11 4 3 3 - - - - 2 31

Quantum 

5 8 4 5 1 6 - - - - - 29

These highlight reels are bizarre - the whole format seems rushed and they barely show any actual sailing (by this I mean manouvres, crosses, roundings, hoists/drops). They're audiejce must be primarily exisiting sailors so why not put some more detail in there?

Gutted Sled are out for the remainder, at least getting average points should minimise long term impact. Hopefully they can get spun around in time for next regatta, it's only a couple of weeks away and if they need new sections of rigging manufactured it could be tight... I think they're running Carbolink. 

Seems like an eventful Race 7 - Alegre appear to have blown an early lead after splitting the first upwind and coming out on top only to finish DFL. Only one race today, AP over A flying, let's see if the highlights show much of the action - downwind speeds were poking into the 20s so hopefully there'll be some good footage.

Yep - the footage is always useless for the this series.... all fluff...

Anyone know why Gladiator are absent? Just missing this one, or the season?

Gladiator are just missing the Cape Town regattas - they'll be back for the Med events.

I think the media for the highlights isn't half bad for those just trying to catch up. Not everyone needs or wants to plug four hours away watching a two race regatta on their computers. That said, catch one live streaming for all the non-fluff you're craving. They even seem to have an app. Be just a touch less lazy and the footage you're seeking will find you. 

I really enjoy what Dan has done with the 52 Super Series and its media; best series out there bar none. 

• Like 2

The rest of day 3 and most/all (?) of the day 4 VNRs:

Day 4

Day4 Race7 ChaseCam B-roll
Day4 Race7 Drone B-roll
Interview Tina Plattner Phoenix12 ENG
Interview Tina Plattner Phoenix12 GER
Interview Tom Burnham Quantum
Interview Peter Holmberg Phoenix11
Interview Ian Ainslie

Day 3

Interview Mariano Parada Azzurra
Interview Ross Halcrow Platoon

• Like 4

No Virtual Eye at 12.35 despite the main page saying racing will start on time? Now I see an AP Flag is up? if they want an audience make it watchable please..!

21 hours ago, bodega87 said:

I think the media for the highlights isn't half bad for those just trying to catch up. Not everyone needs or wants to plug four hours away watching a two race regatta on their computers. That said, catch one live streaming for all the non-fluff you're craving. They even seem to have an app. Be just a touch less lazy and the footage you're seeking will find you. 

I really enjoy what Dan has done with the 52 Super Series and its media; best series out there bar none. 

Glad you like it - but doesn't do it for me and imho there is better out there too

(Ken Reads commentary, and the on board mic / data, and course overlays from the Bermuda AC come to mind)

where's the pre race detail with trimmers about set up, on the water mic's picking up the tactical and speed loops, post race comments from helms about incidents of note (starts / marks / coming together)...

Most of the commentary is very lightweight - 'it was a race out to the left'.... ok.... why? How did the team approach / execute the start to achieve that? How did they mode the boat to make it happen?

But heh - just my preferences. I'm not paying the £ and if the owners are happy then what you gonna do...

Day 5:

Highlights Day5
Interview Guillermo Parada Azzurra
Interview Michele Paoletti Azzurra ITA
Interview Hasso Plattner Phoenix11
Interview Michele Ivaldi Quantum
52 Super Series 2020 - Cape Town, RSA - VNR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wacka Elvis said:

Glad you like it - but doesn't do it for me and imho there is better out there too

(Ken Reads commentary, and the on board mic / data, and course overlays from the Bermuda AC come to mind)

where's the pre race detail with trimmers about set up, on the water mic's picking up the tactical and speed loops, post race comments from helms about incidents of note (starts / marks / coming together)...

Most of the commentary is very lightweight - 'it was a race out to the left'.... ok.... why? How did the team approach / execute the start to achieve that? How did they mode the boat to make it happen?

But heh - just my preferences. I'm not paying the £ and if the owners are happy then what you gonna do...

They also weren't live for this event. They will be in the next one. It seems like you've not really been following this series and the effort they put into their media. It really is second to none. Watch the next series, they usually livestream, highlight and post full recap; report back what you think. I think most people realize that marketing explicitly to racers isn't really a viable business model. This seems to do a decent job at touching on it enough to recap well while not being super lame(I presume) and boring to non-racers/sailors.

AC is trash and so are the boats, it's gotten way way too niche.

• Like 1

The coverage and communication for this event was very very poor. The updates were few and far between if there was a delay and everyday was riddled with delays. Virtual Eye was all over the place so much so that in race 7 they tweeted Quantum were going to win then corrected themselves because Brononensec suddenly appeared on Virtual Eye after they were missing and won the race. Without live coverage you can only rely on Virtual Eye and their communication and it was below par. A real shame not sure if it was a Cape Town thing or the 52SS in general? 

14 hours ago, bodega87 said:

I think most people realize that marketing explicitly to racers isn't really a viable business model

I honestly think the 52 media is stuck somewhere in between at the moment; they haven't gone down the 'crash bang' route of Sail GP to try and draw in non-sailors but neither are giving much actual detail for the experienced sailors that follow it.

Mabe I'm way off but I really don't think their viewing figures would suffer if they added more detail to their coverage; if you watch F1 commentary there's a huge amount of technical discussion that must only be truly understood by a minority of the viewers (just head over to AC anarchy to see the circular arguments about aerodynamics...).

The highlight reels for this regatta rarely actually showed any of the key moments (Alegre/Sled collision, Quantum sneaking through Alegre at the first downwind gate on Day 4 etc). It's almost always just the start, windward mark layline, bearaway and some kite shots. Very few actual manouvres or 'incidents'. 

The crew work and set-up of these boats is phenomenal but directly relatable to almost all amateur sailors (unlike F50s, AC72s etc). Why not have a pit man give a walk through of a kite hoist/drop or explain the kite retreival systems, or a main trimmer explain the sheet, traveller, backstay and deflector relationships. Also the shore crews work insanely hard to keep these boats prepped and most sailors would geek the fuck out after a container walkthrough from a boat captain or sailmaker.

Sailing media in general seems so far behind other sports - cycling commentary excels at filling big gaps of not much action with technical discussions, cuts to team cars, annecdotes about particular riders, facts about the local area, pre-recorded route previews and workshop/backstage segements....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NZK said:

I honestly think the 52 media is stuck somewhere in between at the moment; they haven't gone down the 'crash bang' route of Sail GP to try and draw in non-sailors but neither are giving much actual detail for the experienced sailors that follow it.

Mabe I'm way off but I really don't think their viewing figures would suffer if they added more detail to their coverage; if you watch F1 commentary there's a huge amount of technical discussion that must only be truly understood by a minority of the viewers (just head over to AC anarchy to see the circular arguments about aerodynamics...).

The highlight reels for this regatta rarely actually showed any of the key moments (Alegre/Sled collision, Quantum sneaking through Alegre at the first downwind gate on Day 4 etc). It's almost always just the start, windward mark layline, bearaway and some kite shots. Very few actual manouvres or 'incidents'. 

The crew work and set-up of these boats is phenomenal but directly relatable to almost all amateur sailors (unlike F50s, AC72s etc). Why not have a pit man give a walk through of a kite hoist/drop or explain the kite retreival systems, or a main trimmer explain the sheet, traveller, backstay and deflector relationships. Also the shore crews work insanely hard to keep these boats prepped and most sailors would geek the fuck out after a container walkthrough from a boat captain or sailmaker.

Sailing media in general seems so far behind other sports - cycling commentary excels at filling big gaps of not much action with technical discussions, cuts to team cars, annecdotes about particular riders, facts about the local area, pre-recorded route previews and workshop/backstage segements....

+1 Agree 100% 

I don't think TP52 owners and their professional crews give a flying fuck about what the public thinks they're up to, or the sport of sailing in general. And why should they?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I don't think TP52 owners and their professional crews give a flying fuck about what the public thinks they're up to, or the sport of sailing in general. And why should they?

No but this about the 52 Super Series Organisation itself. Perhaps there in lies the problem? It's not designed to be a spectator sport. I think NZK got it right in the fact the 52SS Media are not fully committed so everything is done with limitations and little concern. 

For a race series that is decidedly NOT sailgp, I have to say the 52SS is pretty awesome. The limited coverage races are pretty well spelled out at the beginning of the year, it is what it is. When they do cover the races live they do a fantastic job...Jenny T is great and they do a pretty decent job of filling the air with analysis ala cycling. IIRC they usually do a bunch of videos each year walking through some of the technical stuff they did since the last season. And it is a niche sport....I am happy with whatever we get. I don't understand the complaining about getting a little something, even if it is not on par with the polished F1, Grand Tour stuff. 

I had the opportunity to be on a boat that shared the pier with the 52s in Palma last year (humblebrag). The 52 owners / crews were quite accessible and gladly chatted for a while. Definitely had a pit row type of feel. They were pretty accommodating and let me take a bunch of pics for my kids. Would love to see them come back to the US for a few events. I guess the GL52 circuit has to get off their duff and take up the slack here!

• Like 2

Maybe I'm old school, but I like watching this series to see lead mines being thrown around by amazing crew work, especially spinny take downs that looks faster than an I14! 

Each boat needs an OBR but who pays for it?

Sailbydate has it: The owners don't give a shit!

I'll take what I can get

On 3/8/2020 at 3:02 AM, Vin said:

Jenny T is great

Yep - Jenny T's input is really good. 

I realise I may seem over-critical but I suppose it's because the 52 Series seem to have a platform that could easily accommodate better coverage and interaction that could then serve as a model for other sailing coverage; they seem to have a decent budget for the media, enough for film crews and commentators to be onsite and on the water for each regatta and this budget doesn't appear to have many, if any, ROI strings attached to it - to me this should allow them to experiment more with different output.

Look at the stuff that Live Sail Die and Down Under Sail are putting out - these 2 outfits just seem to froth on getting in the action of any class that is going out sailing and it shows...

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 1:02 PM, Vin said:

For a race series that is decidedly NOT sailgp, I have to say the 52SS is pretty awesome. The limited coverage races are pretty well spelled out at the beginning of the year, it is what it is. When they do cover the races live they do a fantastic job...Jenny T is great and they do a pretty decent job of filling the air with analysis ala cycling. IIRC they usually do a bunch of videos each year walking through some of the technical stuff they did since the last season. And it is a niche sport....I am happy with whatever we get. I don't understand the complaining about getting a little something, even if it is not on par with the polished F1, Grand Tour stuff. 

I had the opportunity to be on a boat that shared the pier with the 52s in Palma last year (humblebrag). The 52 owners / crews were quite accessible and gladly chatted for a while. Definitely had a pit row type of feel. They were pretty accommodating and let me take a bunch of pics for my kids. Would love to see them come back to the US for a few events. I guess the GL52 circuit has to get off their duff and take up the slack here!

Trying to provide constructive criticism and yes understand your point about getting a little something. To me the circuit has so much potential if the coverage was better. Certainly doesn't need to be SailGP F1 stuff but more than what we saw in Cape Town would be appreciated.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:14 PM, Rennmaus said:

The event's VNR (more to come):

nice drop at 1.40! great shot!

In other news; the rumour mill is running about possibly changing the Scarlino regatta to Palma to run during PalmaVela because of the Italian coronavirus situation.....

On 3/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, NZK said:

No one gets a tour of the sail container without bringing beer or their (or someone's) cute Sister! 

The On the water footage was certainly at an peak when we had Audi paying for the MedCup, the German TV guys and girls do a pretty solid job with what they're given, the budget doesn't allow for on the boat camera work or full 5 day live coverage. Shame none of the MedCup videos are still available on youtube.

Andy has done a few tech interviews and walk throughs, Quantum's social media feeds and online Vidoes are still the best due to the budget and all the hard work by Keith Brash, the man behind the lens.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 6:48 AM, NZK said:

These highlight reels are bizarre - the whole format seems rushed and they barely show any actual sailing (by this I mean manouvres, crosses, roundings, hoists/drops). They're audiejce must be primarily exisiting sailors so why not put some more detail in there?

Gutted Sled are out for the remainder, at least getting average points should minimise long term impact. Hopefully they can get spun around in time for next regatta, it's only a couple of weeks away and if they need new sections of rigging manufactured it could be tight... I think they're running Carbolink. 

Sled was on starboard. Otherwise they would barely have received RDG average points,
Sled were running Future Fibres's Razr rigging, but opted for a more durable Carbo-Link replecement.
As Alegre and Azzurra have done too before the start of the season..

I just heard on Wastebook the second series at Cape town has been cancelled do to the virus issue! Crap. I was looking forward to that.

It appears that Azzura have pulled the plug on their 52 campaign - couple of the sailing team announcing it on social media. If true it's the end of an era for the 52s and will be interesting to see if it has any knock-on effects for the fleet...

21 hours ago, chuso007 said:

I hope not...

I spoke with one of the crew yesterday and he confirmed it - didn't give any explanations of why the decision was made....

On 9/29/2020 at 7:58 AM, NZK said:

It appears that Azzura have pulled the plug on their 52 campaign - couple of the sailing team announcing it on social media. If true it's the end of an era for the 52s and will be interesting to see if it has any knock-on effects for the fleet...

Shame... but the TP52 is still a very healthy fleet right? If there are any knock on effects, it could be the end of one series, but I seriously doubt it's going to be the end of the class.

3 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Maybe now they'll put the brakes on the outrageous spending and campaign costs and bring the boats back to what they're supposed to be

Sure, that'll happen....

What's a TP52 supposed to be?

16 hours ago, NZK said:

I spoke with one of the crew yesterday and he confirmed it - didn't give any explanations of why the decision was made....

You do know why but can't reveal...... 

10 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

Shame... but the TP52 is still a very healthy fleet right? If there are any knock on effects, it could be the end of one series, but I seriously doubt it's going to be the end of the class.

As for any competitive sailing fleet, the costs have escalated insanely as teams chase diminishing returns.  The same dynamic applies to both Development and OD to a large extent but spend is generally directed more towards duplicating hardware, software and processes in OD fleets.  Development fleets it additionally goes towards developing and optimising the hardware.

Net-net spending a gazillion to sail a handful of regattas involving a couple of days short W/L races in a nice place is fun but ultimately once you've done it you've done it, and once you've won it you've won it - unless carrying on winning serves a Business Development objective (as per Quantum Racing).  That said, I really enjoyed watching the 52 Super Series, awesome racing and with more on-board cameras these days you learn a lot from seeing these teams in action up close.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Lets start with Trans Pac Fifty Two. I don't think one of the new boats could make the trip.

I guess there is that... I walked right into that one!

Wasn't there a TP52 that broke and nearly sank inshore racing?

I'd watch the 52 series over the current AC all day long...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

You do know why but can't reveal...... 

Nope - when I spoke with my buddy he was not forthcoming at all, I figured he either couldn't or didn't want to talk anymore about it. I think it's probably hit a few of the crew pretty hard, they were a  pretty close group and for some of them this is not a great time to be out of a job...

14 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Maybe now they'll put the brakes on the outrageous spending and campaign costs and bring the boats back to what they're supposed to be

I get that the class has deviated a fair way from the original Trans-Pac configuration but the Super Series offers probably the best inshore keelboat racing around at the moment. The media coverage, whilst not perfect, offers free-to-view coverage for every regatta and I'm always surprised at how little coverage/discussion is gets here - so many people where griping about the AC not being 'real' sailing anymore but never seemed to get involved in the SuperSeries discussions. If you combine the official media output with that of Checco Naglia and Keith Brash there are some awesome clips available of the fleets. 

Also, for the majority of keelboat sailors the Super Series is one of the biggest sources of technology trickle-down. Yes, the budgets are insane but it's those owners who are willing to invest millions into new boats, rigs, sails, hardware etc that help drive the R&D process within the industry. 

Whilst the Super Series boats wouldn't make it in a Trans-Pac race there are plenty of older boats (many bought out of the SuperSeries cycle) that have been modified to be IRC/offshore weapons. Plus Ichi Ban was pretty shit hot out of the box.

17 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

It was really healthy and the change-up of going to Cape Town seemed to be a really strong move - pretty much all the feedback I heard was positive. I don't think this will be the end of it but I reckon with the outfall of Covid there might need to be a re-think. They seem to have fewer events lined up for next year and maybe including existing regattas (e.g Palma Vela, Voiles de St Tropez) and allowing IRC measured 52s to join at these regattas could be a way to inject more interest into the fleet? 

• Like 2

The inclusion of Cape Town was an answer to owners wishing to see different events sites and keep it interesting, whilst Azzura were involved, Porto Cervo would always feature, other events requested included St Tropez, which I believe is planned for 2021. A second reason for travelling with the Circus down into the Southern Hemisphere was to tempt the primarily Aussie and NZ 52s to jin the Med boats in the hope they would then ship North to continue sailing in the Med a SuperSuperSeries if you wish, with, as NZK noted allowing the IRC52s into the fold and swelling the fleet. Gone are the crazy days of 23 52s on the line post IMS but shit it'd be great to see more than 9 boats consistently out there racing.

I have also seen and heard from Azzura boys of the decline of the team, truly a sad day, but they went out on a high with Bow number 1, again, tight lipped on the reason.  

Remember, the team is a joint colab between the YCCS and the Roemmers family of Matador fame who were in the beginning of the Med based 52 fleet in 2007 continuing over from the collapse of the predominantly Spanish IMS fleet. As well as the Roemmers campaigning a number of 'Alexia' maxis.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Lets start with Trans Pac Fifty Two. I don't think one of the new boats could make the trip.

Well that was a decision that the owners were happy to take, much like the last days of the IOR 50 fleet. They had to be nursed offshore in their final days.

2 hours ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

The inclusion of Cape Town was an answer to owners wishing to see different events sites and keep it interesting, whilst Azzura were involved, Porto Cervo would always feature, other events requested included St Tropez, which I believe is planned for 2021. A second reason for travelling with the Circus down into the Southern Hemisphere was to tempt the primarily Aussie and NZ 52s to jin the Med boats in the hope they would then ship North to continue sailing in the Med a SuperSuperSeries if you wish, with, as NZK noted allowing the IRC52s into the fold and swelling the fleet. Gone are the crazy days of 23 52s on the line post IMS but shit it'd be great to see more than 9 boats consistently out there racing.

I have also seen and heard from Azzura boys of the decline of the team, truly a sad day, but they went out on a high with Bow number 1, again, tight lipped on the reason.  

Remember, the team is a joint colab between the YCCS and the Roemmers family of Matador fame who were in the beginning of the Med based 52 fleet in 2007 continuing over from the collapse of the predominantly Spanish IMS fleet. As well as the Roemmers campaigning a number of 'Alexia' maxis.

Hopefully one owner leaving won’t mean the demise of the fleet, owners, even prolific ones come and go over time. 

12 hours ago, mad said:

Hopefully one owner leaving won’t mean the demise of the fleet, owners, even prolific ones come and go over time. 

10 hours ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

True dat mad...there is always a flux in long standing fleets. 

In saying that it has lasted longer than most sailing trends so it won't be surprising if this is the start of the end

7 hours ago, PIL66 - XL2 said:

In saying that it has lasted longer than most sailing trends so it won't be surprising if this is the start of the end

There isn't really much of an alternative at the moment though - maybe with the launch of the 69F and other foiling yachts the 'younger' generation of Super Rich won't move into the TPs and the fleet will slowly decline as existing owners leave...? Or maybe the super close racing, more 'accessible' nature of the yachts (physically for the owners, not financially) will keep it going for plenty more years...?

It's going to be weird when the 52s become a 'classic' yacht class in regattas otherwise full of foiling boats....

A friend of mine who regularly sails on a TP52 told me they are still waiting to start sailing, in the meantime he's managing a new Swan 36 for another owner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chuso007 said:

A friend of mine who regularly sails on a TP52 told me they are still waiting to start sailing, in the meantime he's managing a new Swan 36 for another owner.

Have we seen the new Swan 36 out in anger yet?

16 minutes ago, mad said:

4 of them raced in Scarlino a few weeks back and they'll be out again between Oct 13th - 17th for the Swan One Design Worlds. 

Official fleet numbers keep varying, I think hull 12 just got delivered but not all are actively racing just yet. I guess they'll try and re-start the fleet next year. Some of the other boats are popping up on various Instagram accounts.

3 hours ago, chuso007 said:

I doubt any of the Super Series boats will sail until early spring next year. Most of them went straight into winter storage after being pulled off the ship from Cape Town. 

Gladiator, Sled and Quantum are in Palma (maybe Phoenix 12?) with most of the rest in Valencia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mad said:

What he told me is that under 10 knots of wind is a nightmare to sail (well, he didn't say "nightmare", he said the equivalent Spanish word for "cauldron", in English  you' would say  "pig" or "dog")

• Like 1