Sign in to follow this  
Bad Andy

20-25' Sport boat Suggestions

Alright hive mind I have another of those which boats should I buy threads.  I want a fast pocket rocket that fits on a trailer.  The wife needs something that is not a dinghy with at least some cockpit, which rules out a Viper 640 or VX.

Requirements

• Planing sportsboat with an asymmetrical
  • Small outboard set up
  • Must be able to live in the water and be launched on a 4 ton crane
  • Cockpit that can fit 2-4 people
  • Price range $10-$10k

Nice to haves

• No backstay so I can make a square top mainsail
  • Lifting keel

I don't mind a bit of a project and will can easily replace/turbo sails.  The boat that we have both agreed on is a Rocket 22 but they're hard to find.  The Ultimate 20 also ticks a lot of the boxes as well.  What am I missing?

• Like 2

Tried to PM you re a potentially available Rocket 22.  Can you enable messages?  

12 minutes ago, Skid51 said:

Cleared it out and sent you a PM

14 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Kinda sounds Melges 24 ish...

Cool factor: go for a 110.

M24 is in consideration, 110 is not :lol:.  I've done a few 110 regattas, really fun boats but my wife would kill me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skid51 said:

Andy, call Dorin Candea; he may still have a Rockett 22.

1 hour ago, marcus brutus said:

Andy, call Dorin Candea; he may still have a Rockett 22.

It got sold and lives in Wisconsin now.  

1D7379C1-E3FE-4706-B823-7C73C0BC2A57.jpeg

7 hours ago, monsters inc said:

1D7379C1-E3FE-4706-B823-7C73C0BC2A57.jpeg

I honestly do not know much about these other than they're home built.  Do look like fun though, whats the scoop?

Ultimate 20 checks the boxes for me too, but hard to find for less that $10k. I am looking for something like this for pleasure (not racing) on a lake so I am seriously considering a Holder 20. I would prefer an Ultimate 20, but for a second lake use boat the cost is a bit high. 

Since a SC27 has been mentioned I would be remiss not so suggest a Moore 24, but like the U20, hard to find for less than $10k.

Wabbits are awesome, but almost never come up for sale used. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale.

elliott 770 except not for $10k unless it's wrecked.

36 minutes ago, msvphoto said:

so I am seriously considering a Holder 20

looks like a sport boat, performance not so much. Can sink if original. not particularly comfortable for two overnight. There are better choices out there I think.

19 hours ago, ryley said:

looks like a sport boat, performance not so much. Can sink if original. not particularly comfortable for two overnight. There are better choices out there I think.

I do believe there's a modified Holder 20x in San Diego available.  Very cool boat. 

Sorry typo in the OP, supposed to be $10-15k which should open it up a bit

On 3/5/2020 at 1:29 PM, Bad Andy said:

Alright hive mind I have another of those which boats should I buy threads.  I want a fast pocket rocket that fits on a trailer.  The wife needs something that is not a dinghy with at least some cockpit, which rules out a Viper 640 or VX.

Requirements

Must be able to live in the water and be launched on a 4 ton crane

What am I missing?

Which Chicago harbor(s) have a "4 ton crane" (8,000 lbs) safe working load ?

On 3/6/2020 at 5:15 PM, ryley said:
On 3/6/2020 at 4:29 PM, msvphoto said:

so I am seriously considering a Holder 20

The Holder 20 is a pretty cool boat, definitely a budget favorite. It's really a ballasted dinghy. The cabin is tiny and the bulb keel makes it a little more forgiving but it's not really self-righting. And it's low and wet (of course most true sportboats are not exactly a dry ride).

If you don't want to spend much, and trailering is important, it's a pretty good choice

FB- Doug

A Flying Tiger 7.5 would fit your needs perfectly.  Faster than everything mentioned thus far except the Melges 24 and they are not that far apart.  Plenty of room for 4-6. Very stable and easily trailered.  There are only 5 of them in the US but there is one for sale in San Diego and could likely be had for the upper limit of your price point.  My wife and I double handed ours easily and we are well north of 60.

6 hours ago, Stinger1 said:

A Flying Tiger 7.5 would fit your needs perfectly.  Faster than everything mentioned thus far except the Melges 24 and they are not that far apart.

So, slower than a Thompson 7 then.

4 hours ago, (p)Irate said:

So, slower than a Thompson 7 then.

Most things that small are!

Granted, but and how many of those can the OP find in the US?  Likely less than the five FT 7.5s that are here.