Sign in to follow this  
Gumbercules

SD 2 PV

Seems kind of odd to quote Mario Andretti, a guy who pushed a pedal to get thrust, and never did it 100 miles offshore. Seems a huge difference comparing motor Sports to Offshore Sailing.
https://pvrace.com/

Anyway it looks like a thin fleet except for the ORR 5 fleet. https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eid=7307
Looks like tight racing of similar boats.

Where are all the big sleds???

Seems cool the first starters are getting down the course quite well. Good boat speeds for all of them the first 24 hours.

My boat pulled out a week before PV due to owners personal issue.  Man it is looking like a good one to miss.  I just hope that maybe they will get a good run across the gulf

• Like 1

FP is incorrect, Cabron passed the Kitty at the finish line.

7 hours ago, Coolerking said:

FP is incorrect, Cabron passed the Kitty at the finish line.

YB has Kitty @ 0117 and Cabron @ 0122.....

Edited by KennyB
spelling

Long slow race. But, a hell of a lot more fun than the alternative. 

16 hours ago, KennyB said:

YB has Kitty @ 0117 and Cabron @ 0122.....

Did the Kitty finish?

7 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

congrats on the win buddy!

9 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Any particular alternative you'd care to elaborate on?

Nope, they got passed in the last mile and then missed the finish line...1hr penalty.

Like I said, the FP is incorrect...but who cares right?

12 hours ago, ExOmo said:

Any particular alternative you'd care to elaborate on?

Just about anyday on the water is better than the daily grind. Even if it is a drifter.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Did the Kitty finish?

I sent this in to Ed, not sure he will run it but here is a short write up from on board 'Cabron':

PV 2020 will sure be one for the books, the race started in classic hot rum conditions, a bit of a fetch out of the bay in light conditions. The Volvo 70 Pyewacket won the start and we were close on their tail with the Volvo 65 Viva Mexico a little late for the start. Halfway out of the cut we were able to unfurl our MHO and put the bow down, Pyewacket followed suit and we were off. The Viva Mexico Volvo 65 went early on the MHO and were pressed up and looking fast.

The positions did not change for the next few hours in a light 8-12 knots, the first bit of action came that evening when the breeze came up a little and we were able to use Cabron’s extra righting moment to roll over the top of Pyewacket and keep them to leeward. They were the first to gybe off in the predicted lift and we followed them in. They did a better job of sailing into the shore and we had lost our leverage.

This is where the split began, Pyewacket was able to sail off closer to land while we had to stay a little further off shore to sail our breeze, it paid off for them pretty well when the sea breeze kicked in the next day and they were able to leave us in their wake meanwhile we were bobbing around in 2 knots of nothing.
With Pyewacket opting to head offshore to pick up the extra breeze we realised we could not chase them down so we opted to sail the shorter distance down the rum line but in lesser pressure…high risk, medium reward as the models all showed different scenarios at the convergence of Cabo, most of them with us still behind. My old team mates (Team Mexico) on board my old boat (Abu Dhabi VO-60) Viva Mexico were also showing some great performance well offshore in a more consistent breeze.

Watching the scheds over the next few days were pretty painful, we made gains here and there but the net gain went to Pyewacket. Not too much to speak of for the next couple days, everything from a couple park ups to the occasional reaching/running in 20knots of breeze which Cabron took well in her stride. With the boat properly stacked and moded Cabron showed some incredible performance. The boys were kept busy with a lot of sail moving and changes, all made easier by Matt Smith who was in charge of the best food I have eaten while offshore racing.

The next obstacle was to tackle the lee of Cabo, according to the scheds it looked like Pyewacket had a fairly good run through but had a reasonable slow down, by the time we followed round we were averaging 18ish knots and getting into the confused sea state, a quick change down from the A3 to the J3 to heat it up with the GS inside and a reef we were through the light spot and hitting mid 20’s and on the final straight.
With a 40ish mile lead to Pyewacket it was not looking too good for the Cabron’s, still nobody was ready to give up, with a predicted midnight arrival a slow down and reset was possible, it was still very much on.
By 11pm we had managed to get within a mile or so of Pyewacket, and gaining fast.

The finish was quite unreal and something I will remember for a long time, match racing two high powered ocean racers in sub 6 knots of breeze just off of PV under a well lit moon was quite a sight. Tacking one of these boats in such light conditions with a MHO up is an art form and requires serious co-ordination.  Both boats narrowly missed the virtual finish marks and were within 20 feet of each other but neck and neck, we realised the error and turned back around and sailed back through the line to get the win. Quite a relief after pushing so hard for so long. On the motor into PV after the finish big Mikey Howard was telling us in the 40+ years he had been doing these races down the Baja coast, this one had the most weather transitions.

Thanks to SDYC for running a very cool event, the hospitality before hand at the club and in PV was top notch.
Thanks to Matty Smith for the amazing food and top level pit work. ( Matty also supplies sailing teams with food as a business and it really is top level whilst keeping it lightweight, I think he calls it ‘freeze dry plus’)
Thanks to Josh Whittaker for running the boat and arranging all of the logistics, the boat did not skip a beat and is in incredible condition.
Finally huge thanks to the owner Steve Meheen for putting on such a great program and his wife Michelle who owns the amazing resort ‘Casa Carole’ in Puerto Vallarta, the hospitality and margaritas after a long slog down the coast were A1!

After growing up in the UK and smashing around the rainy English Channel, these warm downwind Cali races are where its at!

Alex

p.s Not too sure who to post photo credit to as PV website did not say, however I did see Joy Sailing out on the water.

49640410337_7d0a261570_h.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 9:28 AM, alex said:

I sent this in to Ed, not sure he will run it but here is a short write up from on board 'Cabron':

PV 2020 will sure be one for the books, the race started in classic hot rum conditions, a bit of a fetch out of the bay in light conditions. The Volvo 70 Pyewacket won the start and we were close on their tail with the Volvo 65 Viva Mexico a little late for the start. Halfway out of the cut we were able to unfurl our MHO and put the bow down, Pyewacket followed suit and we were off. The Viva Mexico Volvo 65 went early on the MHO and were pressed up and looking fast.

The positions did not change for the next few hours in a light 8-12 knots, the first bit of action came that evening when the breeze came up a little and we were able to use Cabron’s extra righting moment to roll over the top of Pyewacket and keep them to leeward. They were the first to gybe off in the predicted lift and we followed them in. They did a better job of sailing into the shore and we had lost our leverage.

This is where the split began, Pyewacket was able to sail off closer to land while we had to stay a little further off shore to sail our breeze, it paid off for them pretty well when the sea breeze kicked in the next day and they were able to leave us in their wake meanwhile we were bobbing around in 2 knots of nothing.
With Pyewacket opting to head offshore to pick up the extra breeze we realised we could not chase them down so we opted to sail the shorter distance down the rum line but in lesser pressure…high risk, medium reward as the models all showed different scenarios at the convergence of Cabo, most of them with us still behind. My old team mates (Team Mexico) on board my old boat (Abu Dhabi VO-60) Viva Mexico were also showing some great performance well offshore in a more consistent breeze.

Watching the scheds over the next few days were pretty painful, we made gains here and there but the net gain went to Pyewacket. Not too much to speak of for the next couple days, everything from a couple park ups to the occasional reaching/running in 20knots of breeze which Cabron took well in her stride. With the boat properly stacked and moded Cabron showed some incredible performance. The boys were kept busy with a lot of sail moving and changes, all made easier by Matt Smith who was in charge of the best food I have eaten while offshore racing.

The next obstacle was to tackle the lee of Cabo, according to the scheds it looked like Pyewacket had a fairly good run through but had a reasonable slow down, by the time we followed round we were averaging 18ish knots and getting into the confused sea state, a quick change down from the A3 to the J3 to heat it up with the GS inside and a reef we were through the light spot and hitting mid 20’s and on the final straight.
With a 40ish mile lead to Pyewacket it was not looking too good for the Cabron’s, still nobody was ready to give up, with a predicted midnight arrival a slow down and reset was possible, it was still very much on.
By 11pm we had managed to get within a mile or so of Pyewacket, and gaining fast.

The finish was quite unreal and something I will remember for a long time, match racing two high powered ocean racers in sub 6 knots of breeze just off of PV under a well lit moon was quite a sight. Tacking one of these boats in such light conditions with a MHO up is an art form and requires serious co-ordination.  Both boats narrowly missed the virtual finish marks and were within 20 feet of each other but neck and neck, we realised the error and turned back around and sailed back through the line to get the win. Quite a relief after pushing so hard for so long. On the motor into PV after the finish big Mikey Howard was telling us in the 40+ years he had been doing these races down the Baja coast, this one had the most weather transitions.

Thanks to SDYC for running a very cool event, the hospitality before hand at the club and in PV was top notch.
Thanks to Matty Smith for the amazing food and top level pit work. ( Matty also supplies sailing teams with food as a business and it really is top level whilst keeping it lightweight, I think he calls it ‘freeze dry plus’)
Thanks to Josh Whittaker for running the boat and arranging all of the logistics, the boat did not skip a beat and is in incredible condition.
Finally huge thanks to the owner Steve Meheen for putting on such a great program and his wife Michelle who owns the amazing resort ‘Casa Carole’ in Puerto Vallarta, the hospitality and margaritas after a long slog down the coast were A1!

After growing up in the UK and smashing around the rainy English Channel, these warm downwind Cali races are where its at!

Alex

p.s Not too sure who to post photo credit to as PV website did not say, however I did see Joy Sailing out on the water.

49640410337_7d0a261570_h.jpg

great story and congrats!!

This race was a great example that ratings work. Here's a link to the results:

https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_detail.cfm?Race_Number=1&eID=7307

Sure there was Division 2 that was in the sweet spot. Everyone in this division were top 10. But, first overall went to a well sailed Hobie 33 from the 1st days start. Bretwalda won the second days start on corrected we were second for the day  aboard Horizon.  So, the third start was the favored start. But, there were top performers from each of the three days starts in the top ten. Pretty impressive that the overall winner was the only boat from his class to place in the top 15.

2 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

This race was a great example that ratings work. Here's a link to the results:

https://yachtscoring.com/event_results_detail.cfm?Race_Number=1&eID=7307

Sure there was Division 2 that was in the sweet spot. Everyone in this division were top 10. But, first overall went to a well sailed Hobie 33 from the 1st days start. Bretwalda won the second days start on corrected we were second for the day  aboard Horizon.  So, the third start was the favored start. But, there were top performers from each of the three days starts in the top ten. Pretty impressive that the overall winner was the only boat from his class to place in the top 15.

Interesting. 

Bretwalda 3 was the only boat to finish to the rating. 

Division 2 finished in complete reverse to the ratings, down to the finish order!

Nalu V finished 15th, so surely in the top 15.

Sizzle had this running away.  I made a ton with the bookie! Metaphorically speaking of course.

Edit: I wonder how close the conditions were to the ORR PV race wind matrix for each day’s start. The third day start seemed off the matrix. I suspect that day one was pretty close.