Gouvernail

Where Didja Get Your Log In Name

Here is a link to the old thread which was not the first. 
I think it is time to do it again 

Gouvernail is French for rudder and I started using it as a perhaps inaccurate claim I am somehow qualified to steer 

• Like 1

Got mine from one of my radio control sailboats also a old ior boat from the 80s

which one ?

• Like 1

Lowell George was inspired by me to write that damn song that everyone thinks is about themselves.

7 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Lowell George was inspired by me to write that damn song that everyone thinks is about themselves.

Youre so vaine?

• Like 5

As a young boy, one of my friends could not pronounce my last name very well (we all called each other by nicknames or our last names).  Fullenwider is my last name, but he pronounced it Foamwater...everyone thought that WAS my last name...so they called my "Foamy" for short, and that was in 1956...the boys from the beach still call me that.

16 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Youre so vaine?

What? You thought that song was about you?

• Like 7

Was heading out fishing and getting the gear and bait  ready when I logged in way back years ago. Seemed to work at the time. Not much to say overall, so just keep most opinions to myself, but have enjoyed the banter through the years and contribute when it seems to fit in.

The best medicine, fountain of youth, adjust your latitude towards the equator - ask a shell back 

I was, at the time, cruising in Mexico with my charming whore of a ex-girlfrind. I lovingly called he Borachita: little drunk girl. She once said "You are as drunk as I am, Boracho." So El Boracho (old drunken fuck), obviously. Plus I really like the little avatar art I found and wanted a handle to match.

• Like 1

Apophenia is the tendency to find patterns where there are none. Apophenia is always a danger when studying the weather.

• Like 2

It's one of my Initials, but on another forum someone called themselves Q (after the Startrek Character), So I Changed mine to The Q..

2 hours ago, apophenia said:

Apophenia is the tendency to find patterns where there are none. Apophenia is always a danger when studying the weather.

brain-scan-apophenia-cartoon.gif

• Like 8

Self explanatory really,  love working out where I am and where I am going, remember doing a yachtmasters offshore in Southampton UK where they had you do blind navigation with a tide running, loved it, 2 out of the 5 on board passed.

Used to run around with a Tamaya Jupiter sextant and sight reduction tables.

Then it was a nav computer that you allowed you to input all of the critical data GMT Plus, azimuth of moon, stars and the sun  height of eye etc.

Then the old magnavox sat navs and the more and more sophisticated GPS plotter combos we see today. 

I have always carried a paper chart on board you just never know when the electronics are gonna give up,  had that happen 2 days into a transatlantic trip was only about two miles out when we got to Antigua hence the moniker.:D.

Have not touched a sextant in years which is kinda sad..

Totally random.  No looking on the keyboard, typed up 5 letter, voila!

Needed a name in a hurry, to register so I could properly read the FOYD thread.

It's something similar to my work email domain name at the time, re-arranged and witrh vowels added. (Sorry, Poland.)

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

brain-scan-apophenia-cartoon.gif

NOOOOOOO!!!!

I just wanted something easy to remember. :wacko:

• Like 1

Sailed a Bristol 45.5 when I joined here. Don't sail the Bristol now but why change?

Worked the pointy end of a C&C Redline when I joined this band of misfits.

I had dreadlocks and a protruding mouth. I was walking by some rugby guys and one called out - Hey, it's Sideshow Bob.  Unfortunately I look more like Crusty now. 

I'm a sailor and have a home in Shanghai - pretty mundane actually :-)

Started writing for SA and they even call me Shanghai when I walk into the VOR Boatyard so I am kind of stuck with it I suppose.

See ya on the water

SS

Sailed one as a wee shrimp, sail nbr. 9878 which dad bought new, many moons ago, no radial or 4.7 then.

Another stint in one 12 years ago around the time I joined here.

• Like 1

Spent the last two years rebuilding the entire deck and have graduated (if you can call it that) from trimmer to helmsman. Not "my" boat, but I certainly have a claim via sweat equity.

FB_IMG_1583851766428.jpg

Ask a few around here and they'll forget which log in name/password to use that particular day ;-)

2 sailboat collisions and a car accident at Navy got it given to me.  A minor mid-air made sure I kept it...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Crash said:

2 sailboat collisions and a car accident at Navy got it given to me.  A minor mid-air made sure I kept it...:rolleyes:

didn't know there was such a thing as a minor mid-air...

not sure if you should buy life insurance or sell horseshoes

I attended UCSB from 74 -80 and had a triple major:  surfing, partying and girls.  Like foamy1946, we all called each other by our last names or nicknames.  My last name is Shirley.  My friends started calling me unShirley because whenever they asked me if I wanted to go do something in the near future, i.e. go for a hike or a bike ride or to a festival, or a party, etc. my answer was always, "I don't know, it depends on how the surf is."

Use a rolling hitch to unfuck an over ride on a winch and ..... ya' got a new nickname.

That crew need to learn a few more knots.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

uh huh...

Does that bother you?

19 minutes ago, bgytr said:
41 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

uh huh...

Does that bother you?

I doute it botheres annyoune, butte it certainey dossent sonde true........                    :) 

What would be my possible motivation to lie about that? And who would care and why?

16 hours ago, Varan said:

My mom

Hey, me too! 

Well, from my father too, he was also Ed.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

uh huh...

This is not the BullGator you are looking for. 

9F2E68E7-269C-4A21-93F9-2D06C1E46671.png

24 minutes ago, bgytr said:

What would be my possible motivation to lie about that? And who would care and why?

Too close to the old alter ego. 
Hence the possible confusion. 

10 hours ago, apophenia said:

Apohenia is like mother's milk to conspiracy theorists.

• Like 3

Larry the Cable Guy, his campaign slogan from back in the day: Hooty Hoo in '92., still have the shirt.

LTCG Hooty Hoo Shirt.jpg

If you Google the saying my previous post in the imitation thread comes up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roller Skates said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Oe-BV7OYepI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:)

Sailing nickname.  Gull= seagull getting things for free, winkle= as in Bullwinkle AKA Mr. Know it all.

4 minutes ago, gullwinkle said:

Sailing nickname.  Gull= seagull getting things for free, winkle= as in Bullwinkle AKA Mr. Know it all.

Thank you for making only one post a year here.

We have more than enough know it alls already.

• Like 1

I was literally Blurocket's mate, for 9 summers, for Bill Blurock and his wife Dolores.  The boat lived in Bellingham, and we did most of our cruising in BC.  After Dolores died, I moved in with Bill as a caregiver for the last 3 years of his life.

https://obits.ocregister.com/obituaries/orangecounty/obituary.aspx?n=william-e-blurock-bill&amp;pid=158213372

The original Blu-Rocket was Bill's P38 in WW2.  Then there was  a Cal 25, a Cal 2-30, an O'Day 37, and finally the custom Maple Leaf 50, Blurocket 4.

Bill hung up his captains hat at age 87, when Dolores' leukemia became serious (main reason), and his own parkinsons made walking on docks too difficult.

I sacrificed a lot career wise to be on the boat with Bill and Dolores.  But it was a great experience, with great friends, maybe the high point of my life so far.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

Hey, me too! 

Well, from my father too, he was also Ed.

Same here

57 minutes ago, blurocketsmate said:

I was literally Blurocket's mate, for 9 summers, for Bill Blurock and his wife Dolores.  The boat lived in Bellingham, and we did most of our cruising in BC.  After Dolores died, I moved in with Bill as a caregiver for the last 3 years of his life.

https://obits.ocregister.com/obituaries/orangecounty/obituary.aspx?n=william-e-blurock-bill&amp;pid=158213372

The original Blu-Rocket was Bill's P38 in WW2.  Then there was  a Cal 25, a Cal 2-30, an O'Day 37, and finally the custom Maple Leaf 50, Blurocket 4.

Bill hung up his captains hat at age 87, when Dolores' leukemia became serious (main reason), and his own parkinsons made walking on docks too difficult.

I sacrificed a lot career wise to be on the boat with Bill and Dolores.  But it was a great experience, with great friends, maybe the high point of my life so far.

Got any old pics of him with his P-38?  That's one of my favorite Fighters of all time, second (maybe) to the F-14 that I did my time in...

12 minutes ago, Crash said:

Got any old pics of him with his P-38?  That's one of my favorite Fighters of all time, second (maybe) to the F-14 that I did my time in...

The P-38 and the F-18 are my faves.  I always thought the F-4 was pretty sexy in it's own way too. 

But I think the F-18 is the most beautiful jet aircraft ever made.

MD35-Review-1.jpg

true story. Was my favourite design, back then. Still sexy, but not as much soul as my current one.

One of the last exits heading north on i5 out of California. Sounded like a good name for someone who wears topsiders. 

I returned home to Cowes for the '77 Fastnet after several months racing in Italy.  My old mate, the one-and-only Bob Cooper (aka Coop), said "He's not a real wop.  He's a pseudo-wop."  The name has stuck for 40+ years.  I abbreviated it for SA.

• Like 2

Bought mine on detroit.craigslist.org from some dude calls himself "Mr. Clean".  Cheap. Really, really cheap.

• Like 1

I quit my local yacht rigger job, when I took off to be Mate-Cook on a Pearson 531 charter boat.  The Ozzie Captain who was a couple years younger, was quite the character, and he quickly named me Billy Backstay.  I quit the boat, when he turned out to be fairly incompetent, and I wound up living in Bermuda, on X-Tenacious, renamed War Baby, owned by Warren Brown of Archie Brown and Sons, with a bunch of Brits and Scot and one Amercan Fred, at RBYC.  The name stuck and I was called it for many years.  

Over 20 years ago now since I joined up here. The SA handle SPORTSCAR was the name of a series of fun boats a syndicate of friends owned over the years. Sadly, I sold the last SPORTSCAR to a young Kiwi buyer late last year and the SPORTSCAR Syndicate was wound up after 32 years and five boats. An awesome bunch of guys n girls and a parade of cool, not so cool, funny, generous, talented, competent, utterly incompetent and downright dangerous people sailed on the various boats, won and lost an incalculable number of yacht races and committed numerous anti-social atrocities over those 32 years. A seriously important and rewarding part of my life for which I will always be grateful. 

Oh and I married one of them 21.5 years ago.

• Like 4

Cut the pad of my thumb off coaching one summer, I don’t have enough digits to recommend things like Roger Ebert so one and a half is all I can give ;)

• Like 1

Self-explanatory.

Nick name.

Pretty self explanatory if you read the quote from my father below.

Amazon Prime. Too cheap to pay for a delivery of a name.

I am actually Dexter Sawash but shortened it up to be anonymous online

• Like 2

Some years ago I was skippering a canoe taking punters out on the lake. My Canoe was number 15. One day it was just me and this smoking hot loose chick and as we were drifting along and I was dropping my plums into her mouth she was trying to tell me that I had large balls but was gagging too much, so she just shortened it to 'LB'. The name kinda stuck with all the girls after that.

What a stupid thread.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Sailed one as a wee shrimp, sail nbr. 9878 which dad bought new, many moons ago, no radial or 4.7 then.

Another stint in one 12 years ago around the time I joined here.

You forgot the m rig

• Like 1

Login name at my first IT job. Someone had already grabbed Jim.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:05 PM, Ncik said:

Fcuk!

Let me guess -- your dad thought it up while he was shaving.

MauiPunter is because I am from Maui, and I am a Punter.  It was my poker handle during the heyday of online poker.   Punter is British slang for gambler, and no I am not British.  :D   It also has a meaning for "One who visits brothels", but I wouldn't know anything about that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ~HHN92~ said:

Larry the Cable Guy, his campaign slogan from back in the day: Hooty Hoo in '92., still have the shirt.

LTCG Hooty Hoo Shirt.jpg

If you Google the saying my previous post in the imitation thread comes up.

Larry was regular on their show before he hit the big time !...that was some great radio !

• Like 1

The name of my first boat "Jubblies" J22 hull #33. I lost that boat under some unfortunate life circumstances. Absolutely loved the J22 and if anyone knew where #33 is, and if the current owner wanted to sell I would seriously consider buying it back.

I live about 10 miles as the crow flies from where me captain Edward Teach took a governor's pardon in 1718 and lived for a time before going off and losing his head. 

Profession and gender

Accounting is more than just a job, it's who you are.

Penile Code

100 kilogram of massive German hiking power = one 10th of a metric ton. Easy to calculate. 

It’s what I do so why not?

14 hours ago, Tax Man said:

Profession and gender

Accounting is more than just a job, it's who you are.

Do you use it as a chat-up line in bars and, if so, how does that work out for you?

I used to use "Interloper" as my username on the forums that I joined, then the Singlehanded Sailing Society refused to admit me.

captain_crunch.jpg