Ex-yachtie

Corona Virus

A thread, of short lifespan, discussing the effect of Corona Virus on the Americas Cup

So, Trump bans travel from Europe to the US (except for his lap dogs the UK).  A natural extension appears to be a restriction in travel from Europe to the UK (something many have been campaigning for, for a long time).

This appears to play havoc with the AC World Series.  Will any Cagliari and Portsmouth happen?

Can NYYC continue to meet the nationality requirements for all of their non-Americans?

Is this the excuse Stars + Stripes need?

To.me, the eye opener is the cancellation (? is it confirmed, or just not valid for the World Championship?) of the Melbourne F1 GP and the turmoil on following races

So, forget for one moment travel bans and lockdowns,: assuming Cagliari or Portsmouth were on, all it would take is one team member to test positive to scuttle the event!

The painful reality leaves just two alternatives: either we cancel the ACWS and all teams move now to fortunate Kiwiland, undergo a rigid quarantine and stay there until the Cup races - which at this point might as well be run with existing B1 boats

Or, as it’s being voiced for the Olympics, we simply cancel 2020 and we reconvene in Cagliari in April next year

2 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

So, Trump bans travel from Europe to the US (except for his lap dogs the UK).  A natural extension appears to be a restriction in travel from Europe to the UK (something many have been campaigning for, for a long time).

This appears to play havoc with the AC World Series.  Will any Cagliari and Portsmouth happen?

Can NYYC continue to meet the nationality requirements for all of their non-Americans?

Is this the excuse Stars + Stripes need?

The travel ban is way too late.  The virus is already wide spread in the US and stopping a few more cases from entering will do nothing.  They need to slow down the spread to make sure it doesn't overwhelm the healthcare system.  The ineptitude of US federal leadership has made it much worse.

I just posted this in another thread:  The idea is that as much as 20% of the case may need medical treatment and if there are too many to treat then people will die because they will not have access to medical care.  Italy had a death rate of about 6.5% in some areas because they could not treat all of the cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/science/coronavirus-curve-mitigation-infection.html

image.thumb.png.c113dd07a48ac5d3e5237198f03a5299.png

italy has gone viral with the problem

but

it seems logical that countries that have a high percentage of older people will have a much higher death rate that those countries that have a lower average life span

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

To.me, the eye opener is the cancellation (? is it confirmed, or just not valid for the World Championship?) of the Melbourne F1 GP and the turmoil on following races

So, forget for one moment travel bans and lockdowns,: assuming Cagliari or Portsmouth were on, all it would take is one team member to test positive to scuttle the event!

The painful reality leaves just two alternatives: either we cancel the ACWS and all teams move now to fortunate Kiwiland, undergo a rigid quarantine and stay there until the Cup races - which at this point might as well be run with existing B1 boats

Or, as it’s being voiced for the Olympics, we simply cancel 2020 and we reconvene in Cagliari in April next year

Many media outlets are reporting this morning (13 March) the Melbourne F1GP has been postponed after a McLaran team member tested positive.

So, assuming the numbers being reported by China are accurate, they've cracked it. Well done, China.

Source: DWTV

52703906_7.png

Let's be clear on how China cracked it, if they really have. They imprisoned most of the population in the infected areas. People (everybody) were not allowed out of their homes. And they are not sure that they have fully got rid of the virus. Many expect it to kick off again.

The reality is that the ACWS is now dead. Expert prediction (not the press) suggest that the peak of the virus will be in August/September. It is not expected to stop being a global issue until some time next year. The big issue facing the AC is whether the Cup itself will go ahead as currently programmed.

There is an added problem. Has anybody attempted to buy carbon or honeycomb/nomex recently? There is a major global shortage. I know of an F1 team that cannot buy carbon at the moment. Nomex is in very short supply because the main French factory burnt down and there is none coming out of the other main source, China. If teams haven't bought their materials for building their second boats, they are stuffed.

39 minutes ago, SimonN said:

Let's be clear on how China cracked it, if they really have. They imprisoned most of the population in the infected areas. People (everybody) were not allowed out of their homes. And they are not sure that they have fully got rid of the virus. Many expect it to kick off again.

The reality is that the ACWS is now dead. Expert prediction (not the press) suggest that the peak of the virus will be in August/September. It is not expected to stop being a global issue until some time next year. The big issue facing the AC is whether the Cup itself will go ahead as currently programmed.

There is an added problem. Has anybody attempted to buy carbon or honeycomb/nomex recently? There is a major global shortage. I know of an F1 team that cannot buy carbon at the moment. Nomex is in very short supply because the main French factory burnt down and there is none coming out of the other main source, China. If teams haven't bought their materials for building their second boats, they are stuffed.

Not only that they are removing evidence that China is the source of the virus, 

Source

https://www.la-croix.com/Monde/Asie-et-Oceanie/Chine-reecrit-deja-lhistoire-coronavirus-Wuhan-2020-03-09-1201082887

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

SARS Avian Corona wtf is going on in China.

Consequences of sailing as close to the wind with population densities and capital efficiencies in order to compete and succeed in a global context.

Evidently they are sailing closer than others, but UK gave us mad-cow / Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease too so.... *glass houses etc ;-)

Edit - *I know you ain't British ;-)

Reports from TE on FB saying that Luna Rossa has suffered major damage during training today, big gaping hole in the bow !!!

Saying the bob stay broke, the bowsprit flew away taking the nose with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flippin Out said:

Reports from TE on FB saying that Luna Rossa has suffered major damage during training today, big gaping hole in the bow !!!

Saying the bob stay broke, the bowsprit flew away taking the nose with it.

Is there a link to the story?

11 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

2Mq0dEU.jpg

Haha! Ok then, turns out you *are* in the glass house (as am I) :D

17 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

It’s off. 

Don't be surprised if Portsmouth gets rubbed out as well.

I'm hearing ETNZ are have been looking at schedules for the last few days to get their boat, containers & gear back to NZ.

4 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

So, assuming the numbers being reported by China are accurate, they've cracked it. Well done, China.

Source: DWTV

The speed that curves flattens does make you wonder whether we mightn't soon see the curve heading south so they can report there were actually fewer cases than they've already reported.  Perhaps added to by the Recovered curve climbing to near vertical and surpassing the total number of cases.  ;))) 

Saying that, by all accounts some fairly draconian provisions had to be made to even begin to arrest the spread of Covid-19 in China and the timing of any return to 'normal community life' will presumably need to reflect not only the virus' contagious nature, but its incubation periods and any proactive on-going disinfection programs necessary to limit the existence of the virus at large - not only among the populace.  Of course, that still leaves the re-writing of history regarding the origins of Covid-19 - and the fact that those origins may not even be known - or if they are, then perhaps never disclosed beyond the internal circle whose action or inaction gave rise to this.

Best guess - watch and wait and continue paying attention to best practice avoidance of infection - hands away from face, regular washing with soap, avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and self isolating on any cold or flu-like symptoms.  Certainly not surfacing in public with any sort of cold or flu symptoms - unlike some who feared needing to self isolate so went to the supermarket to stock up on the way to their medical centre!  Think people.  Think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SimonN said:

You might find that some of these AC boats are using Aluminium Honeycomb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NZL3481 said:

If teams haven't bought their materials for building their second boats, they are stuffed

More likely a case of if you haven't already started your B2 build you are stuffed.

These tricky flying machines take a while to build.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Consequences of sailing as close to the wind with population densities and capital efficiencies in order to compete and succeed in a global context.

Evidently they are sailing closer than others, but UK gave us mad-cow / Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease too so.... *glass houses etc ;-)

Edit - *I know you ain't British ;-)

My greatest regret of living in the UK for 2 years, in the early '90's is because of the presence of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease a couple of years earlier, I still can't donate blood in Australia.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

More likely a case of if you haven't already started your B2 build you are stuffed.

These tricky flying machines take a while to build.

Please don't fabricate quotes Priscilla. I never said what you quoted. SimonN did.

Most prepreg carbon has a shelf life. So you can be fucked if you buy it too early, and fucked if you order it too late.

Most high quality/high modulus carbon still comes out of Japan.

1 minute ago, NZL3481 said:

Please don't fabricate quotes Priscilla. I never said what you quoted. SimonN did.

Crikey you are a touchy critter.

6 hours ago, SimonN said:

There will be a death toll of unknown proportions of many in China who died of other causes than Corona. Welding entry/exit doors shout to apartment buildings will have no doubt cost lives, but these will never be labelled as a Coronavirus related death by China.

• Like 1

Frankly I don't believe that China has cracked it. They're just claiming they have. The virus has probably been around a lot longer than they admit, the Chinese government aren't exactly known for admitting any failure. Right now they're on a major PR trip trying to convince their own population that it's all a bed of roses and the wonderful government has everything under control. Honesty is not high on their list of virtues.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Woolfy said:

Frankly I don't believe that China has cracked it. They're just claiming they have. The virus has probably been around a lot longer than they admit, the Chinese government aren't exactly known for admitting any failure. Right now they're on a major PR trip trying to convince their own population that it's all a bed of roses and the wonderful government has everything under control. Honesty is not high on their list of virtues.

Nor are basic human rights...

57 minutes ago, Woolfy said:

China is already rewriting the history of Wuhan coronavirus

Become in the eyes of the world the epicenter of the epidemic of Covid-19 part of Wuhan, China launched for a week in an international campaign aiming at erasing collective memory, in China and in the world, the origin and Chinese nature of the virus.

https://www.la-croix.com/Monde/Asie-et-Oceanie/Chine-reecrit-deja-lhistoire-coronavirus-Wuhan-2020-03-09-1201082887

10 hours ago, Woolfy said:

China is notorious for faking data and changing results to follow the narrative they want.  But, it would be hard for China to fake the current data with the WHO tracking it.  Here is the data:

image.png.1e071395ff00d9ad23ba3d6f02d8242e.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

China is notorious for faking data and changing results to follow the narrative they want.  But, it would be hard for China to fake the current data with the WHO tracking it.  Here is the data:

So there's someone from WHO on the ground ratifying the declared data? 

I think not.

Declared data is just that, declared, not ratified. The Chinese government can declare what they want.... I maintain that there's a very high proability that they are lying.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Woolfy said:

I think not.

Declared data is just that, declared, not ratified. The Chinese government can declare what they want.... I maintain that there's a very high proability that they are lying.

100% - all WHO does is gather reported data - for instance when China switched from lab diagnosed positives to clinically diagnosed, the numbers jumped over night..

2 hours ago, Woolfy said:

I think not.

Can't help you if you will not belief the facts!  Do your own research before making false claims.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

100% - all WHO does is gather reported data - for instance when China switched from lab diagnosed positives to clinically diagnosed, the numbers jumped over night..

from the WHO report:

The Joint Mission consisted of 25 national and international experts from China, Germany, Japan, Korea, Nigeria, Russia, Singapore, the United States of America and the World Health Organization (WHO). The Joint Mission was headed by Dr Bruce Aylward of WHO and Dr Wannian Liang of the People’s Republic of China.

During these visits, the team had detailed discussion and consultations with Provincial Governors, municipal Mayors, their emergency operations teams, senior scientists, frontline clinical, public health and community workers, and community neighbourhood administrators.

The findings in this report are based on the Joint Mission’s review of national and local governmental reports, discussions on control and prevention measures with national and local experts and response teams, and observations made and insights gained during site visits

5 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

from the WHO report:

The Joint Mission consisted of 25 national and international experts from China, Germany, Japan, Korea, Nigeria, Russia, Singapore, the United States of America and the World Health Organization (WHO). The Joint Mission was headed by Dr Bruce Aylward of WHO and Dr Wannian Liang of the People’s Republic of China.

During these visits, the team had detailed discussion and consultations with Provincial Governors, municipal Mayors, their emergency operations teams, senior scientists, frontline clinical, public health and community workers, and community neighbourhood administrators.

The findings in this report are based on the Joint Mission’s review of national and local governmental reports, discussions on control and prevention measures with national and local experts and response teams, and observations made and insights gained during site visits

I don’t know if that helps your argument. 

2 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

It was claimed that the WHO only gathered reported data.  

This information indicates that WHO audited the data by conducting actual field site visits.  That is how an audit is conducted by going to the sources and check the information.

well i guess political anarchy is now totally redundant .

On 3/13/2020 at 9:34 AM, phill_nz said:

italy has gone viral with the problem

but

it seems logical that countries that have a high percentage of older people will have a much higher death rate that those countries that have a lower average life span

Especially when you overwhelm the health system to the point of triage and not treating people over the age of 65.

That's what is happening in Italy. 

54 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Especially when you overwhelm the health system to the point of triage and not treating people over the age of 65.

That's what is happening in Italy. 

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND? None of that is happening now. The drastic lockdown measures were taken precisely to avoid system collapse in the near future, should cases keep increasing on the exponential curve

1 hour ago, Mid said:

well i guess political anarchy is now totally redundant .

When hasn't it been?

12 minutes ago, hasher said:

When hasn't it been?

when it keep ALL the political crap in the one place .

22 minutes ago, Xlot said:

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND? None of that is happening now. The drastic lockdown measures were taken precisely to avoid system collapse in the near future, should cases keep increasing on the exponential curve

Having spent around 4 months in my favorite city besides Seattle, Rome, over the past 18 months I’m curious: Is it easy to still live comfortably despite the restaurants and bars being closed?

2 minutes ago, Mid said:

when it keep ALL the political crap in the one place .

Politics is life.

I prefer life to death.

Sometimes, I'd rather not engage the nats.  

11 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Having spent months in my favorite city besides Seattle, Rome, over the past 18 months I’m curious: Is it easy to still live comfortably despite restaurants and bars being closed?

Define: comfortably. The essentials are there, supermarkets are well stocked - you can get all the toilet paper you may need for the next decade. That said, it’s boring - and if you have kids around, maddening since you are supposed to stay at home, no strolls. Only good thing is kids are generally safe, but can be deadly for elderly grandparents - who are then grudgingly exempted from babysitting duty

You may have noticed my presence on SA has increased exponentially

5 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Define: comfortably. The essentials are there, supermarkets are well stocked - you can get all the toilet paper you may need for the next decade. That said, it’s boring - and if you have kids around, maddening

You may have noticed my presence on SA has increased exponentially

Lol! 

if and when the shit hits here, and the situation is on the downslope in Rome, we could enjoy another good Carbonara together before long :)

5 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Agreed. Pulling the wool over visiting officials eyes seems to be a national sport in China. It's cost companies I've been working with dearly in the past. 

9 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

China has "cracked " diddelysquat. China simply controlled infections with draconian crackdowns backed up by military intervention. "Burned them out," as someone said.

At best China has demonstrated a path to control the viral spread, Other countries, notably Italy, failed to heed the warning signs and are paying the price.

And the US? Despite accounts and photos of potentially infected visitors within arm's length, President Know Nothing still insists he is only considering a personal virus test! What a splendid example to the nation in a time of crisis.

I fear for events in coming months.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

China has "cracked " diddelysquat. China simply controlled infections with draconian crackdowns backed up by military intervention. "Burned them out," as someone said.

At best China has demonstrated a path to control the viral spread, Other countries, notably Italy, failed to heed the warning signs and are paying the price.

And the US? Despite accounts and photos of potentially infected visitors within arm's length, President Know Nothing still insists he is only considering a personal virus test! What a splendid example to the nation in a time of crisis.

Agreed, what we have to learn from China, for those who did not learn it from history, is that only draconian measures work.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Agreed, what we have to learn from China, for those who did not learn it from history, is that only draconian measures work.

Not so sure 12 million Chinese Uighurs would agree with that ill thought comment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Not so sure 12 million Chinese Uighurs would agree with that ill thought comment.

1,439,323,776 people decided to save themselves.

1 minute ago, Tornado-Cat said:

1,439,323,776 people decided to save themselves.

There is no self choice in China.

• Like 1

japan and singapore have done the best in the free( ish ) world

both have used fairly harsh ( draconian by some standards ) measures

so you either make hard choices or do like silly sindy does and keep saying you are watching it closely   ( until its far to late to do anything ) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

so you either make hard choices or do like silly sindy does and keep saying you are watching it closely   ( until its far to late to do anything ) 

Don't forget silly Trudeau.

46 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

I didn’t claim that China cracked anything or that I agree with their methods.  Just responded to a comment that China wasn’t getting “better” in infections.  China is a classic example of trying to ignore the problem until it got completely out of hand.  Their draconian efforts had an effect on the spread of Covid 19, but it was not very humanitarian or the proper way to handle it. 

5 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

Taiwan is a good example of how to handle a pandemic by using data and science.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Most agree.

Funny how quite a few young Chinese say how much they love their country. Compulsion obviously suits them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Funny how quite a few young Chinese say how much they love their country. Compulsion obviously suits them.

Yup it entirely eliminates the the squandering of human energy devoted to socially confusing topics like freedom of speech freedom of movement and freedom generally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sailbydate said:

a lot of yanks say they love trump

a lot of the russians have said they love putin

a lot of the chinese have never been abroad so have no comparison ..

a lot of the yanks have never met trump or know of his scandalous back stabbing business practices

a lot of the russians have never been poisoned

5 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yes, but to be humanitarian we sometimes have to save the majority,

Are you related to Adolf Eichmann.

You sound like a fucking Nazi.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

Prime Minister Silly Sindy has announced all travellers will have to self-isolate on their arrival to New Zealand, apart from those coming from the Pacific Islands.

She said the measures - in effect as of midnight Sunday - will be reviewed in 16 days.

It will be the strictest border restriction rules in the world.

All cruise ships are also being asked to not come to New Zealand until June 30. It does not apply for cargo ships.

Essential air freight will still be allowed to enter the country for things like pharmaceuticals.

• Like 1

https://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=308019

silly sindy let one of the mentioned Iranians into the country .. after he knew he had the disease ... no other reason he would have traveled with a mask on through 2 other countries and 3 air ports and his family wearing masks when they took him to hospital in nz and then demanding 2 more tests as the first 2 said negative and it wasn't till the third came back positive that  they were happy

and this shitful excuse for a human has had no comeback at all for his actions ... at the very least he should be made to pay in total all medical bills ensuing from his dangerous and illegal actions .. and yes that includes the bills for his son or son in law who caught it from him and any others he gave it to ie all that can trace him to be patient zero

5 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

It will be the strictest border restriction rules in the world.

• Czech Republic closes its borders: almost no-one will be allowed to enter or leave the country [source]
  • Pakistan shuts land borders and limits flights [source]
  • Ukraine closes borders to foreign visitors for 2 weeks [source]
  • Slovakia closes borders for non-residents [source]
  • Israel on March 9 ordered a 14-day quarantine for anyone entering country [source]

* cough*

• Like 1

I am a bit confused but seeing it was a Granny Herald piece no surprise but does it apply to just locals returning or all arrivals.

Self isolating airbnb?

2 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I am a bit confused but seeing it was a Granny Herald piece no surprise but does it apply to just locals returning or all arrivals.

Self isolating airbnb?

All arrivals. But we know that won't happen.

i guess you will have to ask silly sindy how she expects foreigners with no residential address are going to self isolate for 2 weeks without infecting everyone in the hotel / motel they are staying at or be able to get food and supplies without un self isolating

to me its just a poli speak for saying a lot but achieving or meaning  SFA in practice

• Like 2

thats what silly sindy should have done

but she is on her hijab kick again and its strangled (  what she has left of ) her brain

we still have to worship the least most tolerant religion in the world  because .. we are tolerant

13 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

thats what silly sindy should have done

but she is on her hijab kick again and its strangled (  what she has left of ) her brain

we still have to worship the least most tolerant religion in the world  because .. we are tolerant

Crikey yet another anti Muslim tanti ranter.

• Like 3

any other religion would have my deepest sympathies .. i would be horrified and mortified over what happened  .. but one that promotes hatred and killing ( and it does ) just doesn't float my boat

42 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

You’re right, but it’ll certainly slow things down to keep the impact within the capability of the health system.

The other factor is that it will stop tourists coming. It won’t stop them, but it will slow the flow. Same outcome; reducing the peak. 

A of today, there were 15 cases in Cagliari - 4 in the hospital, 0 in intensive care, 11 confined at home.

My only concern is the “brutti stronzi” (Italian for “ugly turds”) who flocked to Sardinia as the lockdown in Northern Italy was announced. This may cause a spike in the course of next week

1 hour ago, Xlot said:

A of today, there were 15 cases in Cagliari - 4 in the hospital, 0 in intensive care, 11 confined at home.

My only concern is the “brutti stronzi” (Italian for “ugly turds”) who flocked to Sardinia as the lockdown in Northern Italy was announced. This may cause a spike in the course of next week

Ugly turds? 

Look, I don’t like INEOS any more than the next rational guy, but that’s a bit rough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I'm sure immigration will want to see tourists with 14 day bookings at one hotel or bounce them back.

im not sure that infecting all the staff and guests in only one motel / hotel is the perfect solution to the the problem  and how and where does the average tourist who knows nobody and has no support here arrange meals and supplies without going out and buying them

high on great sounding words

low on practical functionality

If the hotel had accepted their booking then that is fine, if not, better get back on a plane :-)

5 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yes, but to be humanitarian we sometimes have to save the majority,

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. 

3 hours ago, phill_nz said:

any other religion would have my deepest sympathies .. i would be horrified and mortified over what happened  .. but one that promotes hatred and killing ( and it does ) just doesn't float my boat

Unlike the religion that promotes love and inclusion but its followers live the absolute opposite?

They're all full of  shit, so there is no point demonizing or proselytizing any of them.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, phill_nz said:

Smart not draconian.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/coronavirus-taiwan-case-study-rapid-response-containment-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762689?guestAccessKey=2a3c6994-9e10-4a0b-9f32-cc2fb55b61a5&utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_content=tfl&utm_term=030320

21 minutes ago, kenergy said:

They're all full of  shit, so there is no point demonizing or proselytizing any of them.

the first parts a given

the second part i have to point out

only one officially sanctions those that don't like that particular flavour are no better than animals and can be treated however you like

.. i had an english translation of the koran .. a lot of it was simply appalling

7 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

the first parts a given

the second part i have to point out

only one officially sanctions those that don't like that particular flavour are no better than animals and can be treated however you like

.. i had an english translation of the koran .. a lot of it was simply appalling

Crikey Phil you just have time to get to the airport before the borders close.

Don’t forget your outfit.

AABC2EBF-6F6E-4C7D-9AAC-F086C5EFF783.thumb.png.007fb29e59c255f5ab243e7cb2114dad.png

that might be a problem

the crusades were mostly focused on what is now israel

in that case i side strongly with the palastinians ( predominantly muslem )

but feel free to carry on with your stretching truths , try to use a bit of imagination or humor thought they are pretty boorish

8 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Draconian can still be smart. They're not mutually exclusive.

The point it's it's still draconian and not every country can or would do what they have - whether good, bad or otherwise, effective or not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skipstone said:

Draconian can still be smart. They're not mutually exclusive.

The point it's it's still draconian and not every country can or would do what they have - whether good, bad or otherwise, effective or not. 

I would call Italy’s lockdown pretty draconian, but it’s been decided following democratic procedures (only snag the small delay resulted in the “ugly turds’ “ rush to flee to Southern Italy) and surprisingly accepted by the overwhelming majority 

• Like 1