Ex-yachtie

Corona Virus

13 hours ago, phill_nz said:

new zealand  28  + 8 today

+8 yesterday

first 20 were all imported cases

im guessing thats changed or will do shortly

using 7 ( my number ) days as the average from first infection to confirmed test

all the figures are a week old

so we have around 100 cases atm

Remember that in the early stages the numbers (outside of those they can isolate from a common group of inbound travelers) typically only reflect those that were sick enough to get tested and had tests available to be used.  So the numbers are much higher if it has got out into public transmission.  In general every carrier infect 2.5 people.  The US only has about 11K confirmed cases, but there is little doubt that the actual number of cases are in the 100K+ range.

14 hours ago, RobG said:

On a lighter note, one effect of the grounding of aircraft for 3 days after the September 11 attacks was a noticeable difference in daily temperature ranges, up to 2 degrees. It led some to theorise that aircraft contrails are a significant contributor to global warming as they increase high level cloud that locks in heat.

The current crisis will have a similar, but much more widespread and longer lasting effect and perhaps having a noticeable effect on global warming. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Good point Rob.

I was wondering if we will see a drop, or at least a slow-down, in the rate of CO2 increase in the atmosphere. The longer flights are grounded and people stay at home then it's entirely possible.  Time will tell.

34 minutes ago, Count Drac said:

Good point Rob.

I was wondering if we will see a drop, or at least a slow-down, in the rate of CO2 increase in the atmosphere. The longer flights are grounded and people stay at home then it's entirely possible.  Time will tell.

Air quality in Wuhan province has already been recorded as the best in a generation.

35 minutes ago, Count Drac said:

Good point Rob.

All that needs to be done now is federal goverments taking credit for the reduction in emissions...

best president ever

i singlehandedly cured china virus and all the air pollution as well as exposing the global warming as a hoax

who am i ?

• Like 3

Neighbour, local copper in Doubtless Bay, has been put on lock down. Some woman lowlife spitting on him, waiting for test results next week.

1 minute ago, Gissie said:

Neighbour, local copper in Doubtless Bay, has been put on lock down. Some woman lowlife spitting on him, waiting for test results next week.

Un-fucking believable. 

1 hour ago, NZL3481 said:

Air quality in Wuhan province has already been recorded as the best in a generation.

Viruses aside, obviously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gissie said:

local copper in Doubtless Bay

which doubtless bay ?

there was one on some road inland

18 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

which doubtless bay ?

there was one on some road inland

The one with the good snapper fishing...

10 minutes ago, Gissie said:

The one with the good snapper fishing...

its ok

i realized there were lots more in cable mongas and tai than up my end

Please God, let Donald J Trump catch Covid-19.

Sadly there is no God but there is hope laying just over the horizon.

Trump cannot cancel or postpone the November 3 general election by an executive order, under the parameters of a national emergency or disaster declaration, or even if he declared martial law.

If we do not have a presidential election in the US, by the presidential succession act, speaker of house is president on 1/21/21. That will be a Democrat, maybe Nancy Pelosi. Karma.

• Like 3

The condition upon entry into New Zealand is that you will self-isolate for two weeks. That means, you must have a place to stay that you do not leave for two weeks. 

It is becoming very obvious that tourists are flouting this rule and travelling around New Zealand selfishly because they believe they can do so with impunity. They are wrong.

The punishment is a fine and immediate deportation. This is not enough.

If you notice such people be sure to take their photograph and immediately report them to the police. Consider these people murderous mongrals and show them no quarter whatsoever. 

Hissing and booing at them loudly in public whilst taking their photograph and then yelling at them with no holding back should get the message through. Better still, video the interaction and put it into social media circles.

Johnny foreigner is again the enemy when he visits your shores. Be sure to tell him so.

Bat soup anyone? 

41 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

The condition upon entry into New Zealand is that you will self-isolate for two weeks. That means, you must have a place to stay that you do not leave for two weeks. 

It is becoming very obvious that tourists are flouting this rule and travelling around New Zealand selfishly because they believe they can do so with impunity. They are wrong.

If you notice such people be sure to take their photograph and immediately report them to the police. Consider these people murderous mongrals and show them no quarter whatsoever. 

Hissing and booing at them loudly in public whilst taking their photograph and then yelling at them with no holding back should get the message through. Better still, video the interaction and put it into social media circles.

Johnny foreigner is again the enemy when he visits your shores. Be sure to tell him so.

Bat soup anyone? 

While I'm not quite  as rabid about it as you, your are bang on correct. They are flouting rules with the likelihood of causing injury or even death snf should br arrested, fined and turfed out ASAP.

These examples expose a huge flaw in the regulations. Admittance to the country should be conditional on proving to Immigration that they have a paid reservation for accommodation suitable for self isolation.  Also a way of feeding themselves without resort to crowded supermarkets.

Extraordinary times. Hell, they shouldn't even be allowed to board a plane without proving bona fides.

• Like 1

how about approved self isolation shelters / hotels / motels

they have to be booked into one

they pre order their food from a standard but fairly extensive list and its waiting for them in the place decided

everything is pre paid

and its not 14 days

its a minimum of 21 days .. 14 is not enough

they get a complimentary test on arrival

a week later

2 weeks later

before approved stamped release ( so 3 weeks )

and if required or requested by them

but i have to add

even contemplating allowing tourism at this time is just plain straight out fuken dumb

1 hour ago, phill_nz said:

how about approved self isolation shelters / hotels / motels

they have to be booked into one

they pre order their food from a standard but fairly extensive list and its waiting for them in the place decided

everything is pre paid

and its not 14 days

its a minimum of 21 days .. 14 is not enough

they get a complimentary test on arrival

a week later

2 weeks later

before approved stamped release ( so 3 weeks )

and if required or requested by them

but i have to add

even contemplating allowing tourism at this time is just plain straight out fuken dumb

I’m struggling to understand the mentality of anybody that wants to get on a plane for a fucking holiday at the moment...... only thing dumber than hanging out in an airport and plane, is getting on cruise ship!! 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, mad said:

I’m struggling to understand the mentality of anybody that wants to get on a plane for a fucking holiday at the moment...... only thing dumber than hanging out in an quiteairport and plane, is getting on cruise ship!! 

Quite so.  It wlll be a tourism killer once travellers understand the implications.But for now it is a toothless requirement - an open invitation to dumb and thoughtless tourists to do a runaround,.

Me, I ain't go'in nowhere. I'm making like a hermit crab and backing deeper into my shell!

Friends returned from overseas, in lockdown,  and had a visit from mr plod to make sure they were actually in lockdown.  So they are checking. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Please God, let Donald J Trump catch Covid-19.

Careful, even jokes can get the Secret Service to investigate you....  I know you live across the plant, but they have a long arms....

What are Germany's new coronavirus social distancing rules?
Germany has implemented drastic restrictions on public and social life, as the country tackles the coronavirus pandemic. But it appears some states think they have better plans in place.

Public gatherings of more than two people will be banned. There will be exceptions for families and those living together.

https://www.dw.com/en/what-are-germanys-new-coronavirus-social-distancing-rules/a-52881742

3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Careful, even jokes can get the Secret Service to investigate you....  I know you live across the plant, but they have a long arms....

Any guess on how many millions of people have joked, wished, prayed about the demise of the Orange fuckwit.???? 

The secret service have got way better things to worry about than crap on the internet, and they definitely don’t have the resource for it.  :P

3 hours ago, kenergy said:

Friends returned from overseas, in lockdown,  and had a visit from mr plod to make sure they were actually in lockdown.  So they are checking. 

I see Leo Molloy has had ~17 tourists who should be isolated trying to eat at his restaurants - he's taking photos of their passports and sending on to police.

But seriously - why the fuck did we ever pander to this 'come by please promise to isolate' shit! Makes me so angry - it's the one major misstep the govt has made so far in this situation, and it makes me concerned about how proactive they will be moving forward.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I see Leo Molloy has had ~17 tourists who should be isolated trying to eat at his restaurants - he's taking photos of their passports and sending on to police.

But seriously - why the fuck did we ever pander to this 'come by please promise to isolate' shit! Makes me so angry - it's the one major misstep the govt has made so far in this situation, and it makes me concerned about how proactive they will be moving forward.

I hope he didn’t spend too long in their company and wore gloves when he handled the passports!! 

33 minutes ago, mad said:

The secret service have got way better things to worry about than crap on the internet, and they definitely don’t have the resource for it.  :P

Now, if you were dissing Colombian hookers, they’d take that personally :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

What are Germany's new coronavirus social distancing rules?
Germany has implemented drastic restrictions on public and social life, as the country tackles the coronavirus pandemic. But it appears some states think they have better plans in place.

Public gatherings of more than two people will be banned. There will be exceptions for families and those living together.

https://www.dw.com/en/what-are-germanys-new-coronavirus-social-distancing-rules/a-52881742

And because she got a pneumococcus shot by an infected doc, Angie Merkel is now in quarantine. It really is a horrible little f#cker, the virus, not Merkel.

• Like 1

from herald "

A pilot who refused to self-isolate was tracked down by staff from an Auckland waterfront restaurant to a nearby bar.

The pilot and his crew allegedly arrived in the country from a global coronavirus hotspot but were not interested in following self-isolation rules.

The pilot flew into New Zealand on Saturday and refused to co-operate with HeadQuarters staff when trying to enter, before fleeing the establishment.

Staff from HeadQuarters, owned by Leo Molloy, were sent out to track down him down - he was found 20 minutes later in a Princes Wharf restaurant.

"When [name amended] was cornered by a 135kg Tongan he suddenly became very co-operative and told us the full story", Molloy said on social media.

The man told the restaurant he and his crew did not care to follow the rules and they were leaving Auckland on Tuesday, "so who cares".

well apart from the obvious .. we care c**t

what do we do

no matter how we go in the next month or so ..

from best case .. we have isolated enough to restrict to clusters and they are contained

to worse case ...full lock down and widespread infection

this scenario can keep playing out

in the second case it just aggravates an already intolerable situation

in the first we will be living almost normally and this has the potential to restart the whole problem

so do we shove the ah into jail on an all the water you can drink and a slice of bread a day till the day after they were due to leave .. then allow them to leave on the next plane of the same airline / ship  ( i figure you would only have to do this one once .. news would soon get around )

or

something else

1 hour ago, phill_nz said:

from herald "

A pilot who refused to self-isolate was tracked down by staff from an Auckland waterfront restaurant to a nearby bar.

The pilot and his crew allegedly arrived in the country from a global coronavirus hotspot but were not interested in following self-isolation rules.

The pilot flew into New Zealand on Saturday and refused to co-operate with HeadQuarters staff when trying to enter, before fleeing the establishment.

Staff from HeadQuarters, owned by Leo Molloy, were sent out to track down him down - he was found 20 minutes later in a Princes Wharf restaurant.

"When [name amended] was cornered by a 135kg Tongan he suddenly became very co-operative and told us the full story", Molloy said on social media.

The man told the restaurant he and his crew did not care to follow the rules and they were leaving Auckland on Tuesday, "so who cares".

well apart from the obvious .. we care c**t

what do we do

no matter how we go in the next month or so ..

from best case .. we have isolated enough to restrict to clusters and they are contained

to worse case ...full lock down and widespread infection

this scenario can keep playing out

in the second case it just aggravates an already intolerable situation

in the first we will be living almost normally and this has the potential to restart the whole problem

so do we shove the ah into jail on an all the water you can drink and a slice of bread a day till the day after they were due to leave .. then allow them to leave on the next plane of the same airline / ship  ( i figure you would only have to do this one once .. news would soon get around )

or

something else

Let that large Tongan loose on the selfish prick.

16 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Let that large Tongan loose on the selfish prick.

With all that pilots are about to go through globally at no fault of their own, might I suggest this that particular cunt is first in line for his marching orders from his airline...fuck redundancy - fire the cunt!

that would be why i proposed releasing him the day after he was due to leave

it then becomes a problem for his employers and they wont piss around with what loosing crew in a foreign land causes

and it will give them the message  very loud and very clear

15 hours ago, Salty Seacock said:

Bat soup anyone? 

Good post spoiled by the racial epithet at the end

having said that i completely agree with what you wrote. In Beijing a few days ago an Australian arrival breached the quarantine and went jogging without a mask. She had her work visa revoked, her company (Bayer) sacked her and she was deported. NZL should do the same with tourists who breach the quarantine.

I also would say that with around 140 +ve tests in NZL anyone who has come into contact with those people are also potential carriers, not just tourists. In light of that has NZL put in force mask wearing, hand washing, social distancing or 'stay at home' like other countries?

Johnny foreigner is NOT the enemy, anyone who doesn't follow a safe regime is a potential '5th columnist' .

Get real

• Like 1

in practice yes

officially its raised to level 3 for 48 hours to get essential services in place then level 4

and only a fortnight late

hopefully it makes enough difference to the ones that were 4-5 weeks behind

2 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Get real

Glad to see you here Shanghai.  How are things in your neck of the woods?

16 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

While I'm not quite  as rabid about it as you, your are bang on correct. They are flouting rules with the likelihood of causing injury or even death snf should br arrested, fined and turfed out ASAP.

These examples expose a huge flaw in the regulations. Admittance to the country should be conditional on proving to Immigration that they have a paid reservation for accommodation suitable for self isolation.  Also a way of feeding themselves without resort to crowded supermarkets.

Extraordinary times. Hell, they shouldn't even be allowed to board a plane without proving bona fides.

I was due to come to NZL a few weeks ago to umpire at a match racing event. I "self-cancelled" because i would have had to spend 14 days in quarantine - airline refunded fare in full - took about 10 days but no problem. I have ZERO tolerance for anyone that tries to flaunt the rules whether tourist, business traveller or local. They never know where a chain of infection may end up.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

has NZL put in force mask wearing, hand washing, social distancing or 'stay at home' like other countries?

yes to all but masks

nz has no tradition of wearing masks for pollution or any other reason than hospitals and chemical safety

hence

no bloody masks around .. or at least none i have seen

the govt needs to make sure they are available outside the few open businesses so those using them have something available

7 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

yes to all but masks

nz has no tradition of wearing masks for pollution or any other reason than hospitals and chemical safety

hence

Couple of days ago in presser Ashley Bloomfield said there is a factory in Wanganui that can produce 200,000 masks a day (!) I suspect they are in overdrive building govt stocks before hopefully starting to have enough release to general population.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/wanganui-chronicle/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503426&objectid=10952433

9 hours ago, kenergy said:

I had a friend returned to China - no high risk country on his itinerary (mark you what is the definition of risk)

He was allowed home after the airport checks but had to self quarantine for 14 days (not 21 kiwijoker, the global health community have calculated 14 is enough  - you know more than the collective medical minds? :-))

To make sure he complied they placed a remote video camera pointed at his apartment door - clever. His response was that he as going nowhere anyway as he respects the rules, regulations and laws of the country where he is effectively a guest.

We just have to be sensible folks and listen to medical advice and look after ourselves.

FYI I have been in China all the way through this COVID-19 epidemic. The attitude here is that the economy can and will recover, movies can always be watched at a later date, family visited in the future BUT dead is dead. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

the global health community have calculated 14

the global health community calculated a lot of things

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

With all that pilots are about to go through globally at no fault of their own, might I suggest this that particular cunt is first in line for his marching orders from his airline...fuck redundancy - fire the cunt!

That's what they did in China (see post above)

It'll be surreal after Wednesday when Level-4 close-down comes into effect to see no traffic on the Auckland motorways...will be like the start of "The Walking Dead"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Good post spoiled by the racial epithet at the end

having said that i completely agree with what you wrote. In Beijing a few days ago an Australian arrival breached the quarantine and went jogging without a mask. She had her work visa revoked, her company (Bayer) sacked her and she was deported. NZL should do the same with tourists who breach the quarantine.

I also would say that with around 140 +ve tests in NZL anyone who has come into contact with those people are also potential carriers, not just tourists. In light of that has NZL put in force mask wearing, hand washing, social distancing or 'stay at home' like other countries?

Johnny foreigner is NOT the enemy, anyone who doesn't follow a safe regime is a potential '5th columnist' .

Get real

Get real yourself.

All C-19 cases that have entered New Zealand have come from forign countries. It had to, C-19 didn't originate here. It originated in China where its outbreak was suppressed by the Chinese government and many thousands are now dead because of it. Thank you China 

The cases came into New  Zealand with people from all over the world not just China.

My reference to "Johnny foreigner" is pointed at SARS-COVID-19 not any particular race.

My reference to "bat soup anyone" is a joke. A bit like the the fools who see bats as food. 

Bat soup anyone?

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, mad said:

I hope he didn’t spend too long in their company and wore gloves when he handled the passports!! 

That’s why you have staff.

3 hours ago, Indio said:

It'll be surreal after Wednesday when Level-4 close-down comes into effect to see no traffic on the Auckland motorways...will be like the start of "The Walking Dead"

Yup all we need now is some zombies shuffling down Ponceonby Rd to complete the picture.

Government just released a list of essential services that can continue to operate and no holiday for me as a builder it’s high ho off to work I go.

5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I had a friend returned to China - no high risk country on his itinerary (mark you what is the definition of risk)

He was allowed home after the airport checks but had to self quarantine for 14 days (not 21 kiwijoker, the global health community have calculated 14 is enough  - you know more than the collective medical minds? :-))

To make sure he complied they placed a remote video camera pointed at his apartment door - clever. His response was that he as going nowhere anyway as he respects the rules, regulations and laws of the country where he is effectively a guest.

We just have to be sensible folks and listen to medical advice and look after ourselves.

FYI I have been in China all the way through this COVID-19 epidemic. The attitude here is that the economy can and will recover, movies can always be watched at a later date, family visited in the future BUT dead is dead. 

SS, I really value your insights from a key part of today's world.  Don't believe I said 21 days. If true, typing  fingers working independently of brain.  Mea Culpa;

What I'm really enjoying about this thread, and what fills me with hope, is the unanimity of opinion that we're all in this together and OWE our fellow citizens the duty of compliance.  

OK, some of us got a bit heated but this is SA and I can understand and even embrace that.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, phill_nz said:

cornered by a 135kg Tongan he suddenly became very co-operative

Got one of those on my site and believe you me I cooperate pretty quickly.

3 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

What I'm really enjoying about this thread, and what fills me with hope, is the unanimity of opinion that we're all in this together and OWE our fellow citizens the duty of compliance.  

Need to take that sentiment down to the local supermarkets which are full of fuckwit panicking shoppers.

Time for the Army to make an appearance.

7 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Need to take that sentiment down to the local supermarkets which are full of fuckwit panicking shoppers.

Time for the Army to make an appearance.

Yeah. Society is made up of 85% ignorant cunts, 10% good people and 5% greedy fucking assholes.

I need a few loaves of bread to get through a month. I've been to the supermarket three times now and there's not been any there. I can wipe my ass on old newspaper but, I cannot go without bread. 

Why do people not listen and regulate? 

5 minutes ago, Salty Seacock said:

Yeah. Society is made up of 85% ignorant cunts, 10% good people and 5% greedy fucking assholes.

The supermarket experience of the past week or so would suggest you've grossly underestimated the %'age of GFA's.

(Although some of them might also be IC's - how do you account for that?)

• Like 1

yes correct

GFA's would be a subset of IC's

which is good news

we just increased by 50% our total of good people

as a side note pak n sav kaitaia on monday ( 7 days ago )  was pretty much stock and shoppers as normal

not sure if that will be the case next visit .. { probably another 4 weeks }

11 minutes ago, Skipstone said:

The supermarket experience of the past week or so would suggest you've grossly underestimated the %'age of GFA's.

(Although some of them might also be IC's - how do you account for that?)

Big shout out to the unprotected slaves that are manning the checkout counters serving a tsunami of greedy selfish potentially infected fuckwits.

The supermarkets in the home of the Cup are divided between a duopoly of Foodstuffs and Woolworths groups and one has chosen the path of constraint of purchase items whilst the other is fill your boots.

These conglomerates have cornered the consumer market for essential goods as the local village butcher baker and sandal  maker have fallen by the wayside due to the avarice and cunning of corporate greed.

Here in Ponceonby there is a very limited shopping option apart from the supermarkets which now number 4 within a very small population catchment area and no local independent food shops exist.

This virus is filling the corporates coffers very nicely.

Capitalism you gotta luv it.

Just remember 49% of the population is below average intelligence. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

I am more concerned about the child poverty percentages.

https://www.stats.govt.nz/news/latest-child-poverty-statistics-released

But you will always have those figures.. Why?

Because as far as a quick scan shows it's based on figures showing those that are in house holds earning less than 50% of national average income. and you will ALWAYS have 50% of people earning less than national average income..

I've never earnt more than 50% of National income in the UK, but I don't consider myself poor, I own my own house (totally no mortgage)  a sailing boat and a motor boat , 3 vehicles.. But those stats reckon I'm poor..

4 minutes ago, The Q said:

But you will always have those figures.. Why?

Because as far as a quick scan shows it's based on figures showing those that are in house holds earning less than 50% of national average income. and you will ALWAYS have 50% of people earning less than national average income..

I've never earnt more than 50% of National income in the UK, but I don't consider myself poor, I own my own house (totally no mortgage)  a sailing boat and a motor boat , 3 vehicles.. But those stats reckon I'm poor..

Lucky you.

Crept out from under your rock to give the poor some hope well done.

i think its closer to 70% earn under 50% of the national average .. and that number is going up as the greedy get greedier

But the point he makes is correct, if poverty is x% of the median income, so you throw $ at those in poverty, then the median will lift, increasing the number of those x% below it.

Rinse and repeat. 

7 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Glad to see you here Shanghai.  How are things in your neck of the woods?

Hey Clean

What the government did here was painful for many especially those in Wuhan. We know many people there personally as Wuhan is where Dongfeng Auto's headquarters are.

It wasn't just the official action though but the way the ordinary citizenry responded. Sure some were unhappy but being pissed off is better than being dead. 

I suppose i am in the high risk zone being my age, diabetic and long time smoker and everywhere we go it is masks on, sanitiser at the ready and keeping our distance. The cynical side of me thinks perhaps some governments saying masks don't help is they don't have enough. If someone coughs or sneezes with a mask then the sputum only flies 1 cm not the 2m distance that it could do if someone isn't wearing a mask.

haven't been 'locked down' at all bu people are being cautious and mask wearing is virtually 100%.Considering the population of China the death rate has been remarkably small given the obvious dangerous nature of COVID-19 with Italy suffering more deaths from a population the fraction of China's.

I would urge EVERYONE to take EVERY POSSIBLE precaution. I couldn't believe the pictures from Bondi Beach the other day where people interviewed stating it was serious while at the beach with their kids and not a single face mask in sight - fucking idiots!

We've had it here almost 3 months and China is still not out of the woods which means some countries have 3 months to get this far along the curve which takes until June  and they still don't want to cancel the Olympics? Give me a break.

I wrote an article to the Editor yesterday saying they should be cancelled and today Australia and Canada say they wont be sending a team. I think it is a matter of time before it is The Olympiad of 2021

Stay safe everyone - this thing kills

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Hey Clean

What the government did here was painful for many especially those in Wuhan. We know many people there personally as Wuhan is where Dongfeng Auto's headquarters are.

It wasn't just the official action though but the way the ordinary citizenry responded. Sure some were unhappy but being pissed off is better than being dead. 

I suppose i am in the high risk zone being my age, diabetic and long time smoker and everywhere we go it is masks on, sanitiser at the ready and keeping our distance. The cynical side of me thinks perhaps some governments saying masks don't help is they don't have enough. If someone coughs or sneezes with a mask then the sputum only flies 1 cm not the 2m distance that it could do if someone isn't wearing a mask.

haven't been 'locked down' at all bu people are being cautious and mask wearing is virtually 100%.Considering the population of China the death rate has been remarkably small given the obvious dangerous nature of COVID-19 with Italy suffering more deaths from a population the fraction of China's.

I would urge EVERYONE to take EVERY POSSIBLE precaution. I couldn't believe the pictures from Bondi Beach the other day where people interviewed stating it was serious while at the beach with their kids and not a single face mask in sight - fucking idiots!

We've had it here almost 3 months and China is still not out of the woods which means some countries have 3 months to get this far along the curve which takes until June  and they still don't want to cancel the Olympics? Give me a break.

I wrote an article to the Editor yesterday saying they should be cancelled and today Australia and Canada say they wont be sending a team. I think it is a matter of time before it is The Olympiad of 2021

Stay safe everyone - this thing kills

Great insights. Here in NZ we go into full stay-at-home lockdown tomorrow, Good move and an early one. Face mask usage almost zero, not as if you could buy them if you wanted to.

My situation similar to yours. Over 80, about five underlying conditions  and the stats say a 15% chance of snuffing it if I become infected. I make that 1 in 6.666 chance at a pine box. Lousy odds. I'm making like a hermit crab.

Kia Kaha

9 hours ago, phill_nz said:

yes to all but masks

hence

the govt needs to make sure they are available outside the few open businesses so those using them have something available

As China has a de facto monopoly on producing the masks and they stopped the export long ago, there are no masks available here for the public. 

So please anyone tell me to wear a mask, but send me one first. 

they are available online

n95's landed cost around 2$ us in nz ... n 95 is 95% effective by niosh tests .. for virus removal  .. better than surgical

moq is 500 odd ( rough details .. if anyone is interested i will get the costs up front )

i would buy if we clubbed up enough to order that many

I was at a chemist when their very last N95 facemask was sold. $15.  To be used once for no more than 3hrs. No more available. Unobtainable in NZ.

i dont really like wearing a full paint mask all day

but if needs require

thats what i will have to do

Surgical masks are fine if everybody wears them. If anyone is ill - it contains most of the velocity within the mask as stated before. It will not present enough of a barrier if the sneeze or cough is in the open - within the 2m zone.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

As China has a de facto monopoly on producing the masks and they stopped the export long ago, there are no masks available here for the public. 

Rennie, you should really wear a mask! 

And I will send you some when mine arrive from China, if you like.

I have 2 orders going, for 50 and 100 respectively, with Aliexpress, and one order is on it's way in the plane, and the other at the airline.

The mask may not protect yourself much, but it will protect the others, loved ones or not, from you. And if everyone wears one it will make a difference, I am sure! (As Crux just said).

Meanwhile, take care and stay at home as much as possible. And entertain all of us with your wisdom, like that chair that I had completely forgotten about!

Edited by Fiji Bitter
As Crux just said...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KiwiJoker said:

Great insights. Here in NZ we go into full stay-at-home lockdown tomorrow, Good move and an early one. Face mask usage almost zero, not as if you could buy them if you wanted to.

My situation similar to yours. Over 80, about five underlying conditions  and the stats say a 15% chance of snuffing it if I become infected. I make that 1 in 6.666 chance at a pine box. Lousy odds. I'm making like a hermit crab.

Kia Kaha

Keep the head down, take all the precautions and make sure you have good internet, youtube can be a lifesaver

Stay well Kiwi we need good people in the islands to balance the odd (very odd) racist commentator

• Like 1

What I am worried about running out of is hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes. I had a bunch on hand for normal cleaning and to prorect against norovirus and Bali belly on trips we had planned to do this year. But not enough for who knows how long of this. 

Mr Clew gets nervous and uses hand sanitizer as a soothing ritual randomly inside the house. I am concerned we won't have it when it matters. 

Saw a great tweet from somebody living in Hawaii, on Maui I think:

"In Hawaii, we quarantine dogs but let infected tourists wander around spreading COVID19"

3 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

What I am worried about running out of is hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes. I had a bunch on hand for normal cleaning and to prorect against norovirus and Bali belly on trips we had planned to do this year. But not enough for who knows how long of this. 

Mr Clew gets nervous and uses hand sanitizer as a soothing ritual randomly inside the house. I am concerned we won't have it when it matters. 

Well tell him to stop fucking using it then. :wacko:

Just now, mad said:

Well tell him to stop fucking using it then. :wacko:

Makes him use more. Think I will have to hide it. And this is why men complain about nagging, controlling, downer wives...

• Like 1

For hand sanitizers, there’s a simple home recipe by the WHO - same formula and much cheaper than the commercial version [if you don’t find it, translate just the first paragraph  OMS=WHO]

http://www.ansa.it/canale_saluteebenessere/notizie/alimentazione/2020/02/25/coronavirus-il-punto-delloms_f34bef76-e888-4dc9-a81c-4d4eccd1c2b6.html

On 3/21/2020 at 11:23 PM, Xlot said:

The same guys adapted the valve to a snorkelling mask sold by Decathlon to make e ventilator - and it works perfectly!

http://www.ansa.it/sito/videogallery/italia/2020/03/23/coronavirus-la-maschera-da-sub-si-trasforma-in-respiratore-demergenza_a5c97f52-2d3d-4f86-b203-b85e1efde9a9.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xlot said:

For hand sanitizers, there’s a simple home recipe - same formula and much cheaper

I know. As a last stand at the Alamo measure I have 2 pints of alcohol (all left in stores back when I could go to stores). Will try Amazon for aloe vera gel when sanitizer stovks run low.

Take care.

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

Wash your hands with normal soap, but do so for at least 20 seconds. Kills the nasty buggers. 

3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

The good news is regular soap kills the virus, it has very week fatty based cell walls - norovirus on the other hand is much more hardy.

Hand sanitizer is best when you don't have access to water, but otherwise you are safer washing your hands with soap for 20 secs.

:-)

Told him we need to save the sanitizer for when we go out to pharmacy, doctor, etc. He knows about soap but likes to wash his hands like a raccoon in the house with sanitizer.  I think I need to make fake sanitizer for his home office. It's not like we are having people over....

9 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

I have 2 orders going, for 50 and 100 respectively, with Aliexpress, and one order is on it's way in the plane, and the other at the airline.

let us know what the delivery times were

i have a dozen orders most over 6 weeks waiting to arrive from aliexpress

12 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Rennie, you should really wear a mask! 

And I will send you some when mine arrive from China, if you like.

The mask may not protect yourself much, but it will protect the others, loved ones or not, from you. And if everyone wears one it will make a difference, I am sure! (As Crux just said).

Meanwhile, take care and stay at home as much as possible. And entertain all of us with your wisdom, like that chair that I had completely forgotten about!

What ones did you order?

17 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

I work at New World and we have to wear them now and I continue to do so until I'm at home.
They are also putting in perspex walls at the checkout to protect frontline staff.

50 customers at a time. 4 file out 4 file in. Manned by security. Quite a peaceful place to shop now.

• Like 1

On the daily 1pm Ministry of Health (NZ) pressers they keep saying that a factory in Manawatu produces ppe gear at a rate of 200000 a day with room for expansion. It was set up a while ago as pandemic precaution. So I'm guessing if they want us to all wear masks they would make them available. A mask is only effective if a carrier of the virus wears it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Filthy Phill said:

On the daily 1pm Ministry of Health (NZ) pressers they keep saying that a factory in Manawatu produces ppe gear at a rate of 200000 a day with room for expansion.

If 5 million kiwis all wear one mask per day, that's 25 day's production per day. Either they start expanding ASAP or people only wear face masks when necessary. Medical staff go through several masks per shift.

25 minutes ago, RobG said:

If 5 million kiwis all wear one mask per day, that's 25 day's production per day. Either they start expanding ASAP or people only wear face masks when necessary. Medical staff go through several masks per shift.

Why would 5 millon people need to wear masks? And like i said only people who have the virus need masks. So if you think you may have the virus and are out in close contact...wear a mask. The good news is that NZ isn't reliant on overseas suppliers to keep our front line workers safe.

27 minutes ago, Filthy Phill said:

And like i said only people who have the virus need masks. 

that's been very much debunked.  they're telling you that because docs need them more.

27 minutes ago, Filthy Phill said:

Why would 5 millon people need to wear masks? And like i said only people who have the virus need masks.

you dont wear them so much for yourself

you wear them to protect other people from what you might have but dont know yet

4 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

you dont wear them so much for yourself

you wear them to protect other people from what you might have but dont know yet

Yep true....but are you saying that people can catch it from the breath a person who shows no symptoms? That would make it airborne....very dangerous prospect.

cough splatter for the non medical term

not just onto people but rails, benches ie anything people touch .. even onto your own hands then onto