Mid

‘Everyone needs to calm down’:

Recommended Posts

Chaotic scenes as coronavirus panic buyers swamp supermarkets

 

news.com.auMARCH 14, 20201:51PM

There are scenes of absolute chaos in Australian supermarkets today as panic buyers descend in their masses and strip shelves bare.

The pasta section was stripped bare.

d08917d686f5a56bef2e43936216b951?width=6

dfe08ba3c2f8cedc9b826e25cec41622?width=6

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/everyone-needs-to-calm-down-chaotic-scenes-as-coronavirus-panic-buyers-swamp-supermarkets/news-story/d9e718c507d9e7df617fb1ebebfbc32d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry, there's plenty of stupid going on everywhere.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours wasn't that bad but I've never seen bare shelves there - or anywhere here - before this. The odd item out of stock maybe but never a whole shelf.

Bread and TP seemed to be the biggies.

Maybe this will get bidets popular here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We see this here every time a hurricane approaches - every store is cleaned out of bread and water. Sort of like prison life. The tp run is a new one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I'm getting cabin fever and eating all my goodies now. All I'll have left is the frozen "drop in" herb blocks and bags of Lentils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

 

I'm getting cabin fever and eating all my goodies now. All I'll have left is the frozen "drop in" herb blocks and bags of Lentils.

Still got a pretty good 'emergency' stash of goodies left over from deep ocean voyages including a couple jars of Gourlays Raspberry Drops. Great stuff when it's blowing a F11 with 20m seas for over a week. Lie in bunk, read books and eat junk food.

Probably taking the boat out for a few days again soon. Excellent way of staying away from masses of people and maybe - if she who fishes has her way - supplementing the food supply.

FKT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

went to supermarket yesterday...stayed 30 seconds.......

all meats and frozen veggies GONE

fresh veggies : a few white onions (who uses white onions)  and kale, broccoli rabe 

no tp, no napkins, 

 

and the LINES were about 45 min. long....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, dacapo said:

went to supermarket yesterday...stayed 30 seconds.......

all meats and frozen veggies GONE

fresh veggies : a few white onions (who uses white onions)  and kale, broccoli rabe 

no tp, no napkins, 

 

and the LINES were about 45 min. long....

 

 

Tip, go to a smaller supermarket...Everyone rushes to the big places with pallets all over the floor assuming they have more stock. 

Our small woolies metro's are fine..no TP though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shortforbob said:

Tip, go to a smaller supermarket...Everyone rushes to the big places with pallets all over the floor assuming they have more stock. 

the smaller better market is barren 

 

we're good for weeks...I was craving salsa and chips and some  good cheese which we;re out of :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dacapo said:

the smaller better market is barren 

 

we're good for weeks...I was craving salsa and chips and some  good cheese which we;re out of :P

I bought enough lentils and brown rice to last Boo for a year..If the virus doesn't kill me her farts will. Fortunately she's over at Liam's :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I’m checking out at the local little local grocery, which isn’t picked over too much (Sanitizers etc)  and as I’m about to pay, I hear the manager (in her 60’s)  and the young check out person talking about her (the checker’s) bed sweats the night before.  I’m the only shopper in there, which I figure is good, and I’m doing my best to keep the suggested social distance.  The checker starts getting on my case about why I’m standing six feet away.  I explain it’s social distancing, and I get 5 minutes of attitude about how stupid that is, because the whole thing is a hoax drummed up by the media, and she’s not really sick, she’s just got the sniffles.  I just want to get out of there, but I’m getting a bit worried, so as I get to the door I ask them why no masks or hand sanitizer, and the manager hops away from me in an exaggerated way, making fun of my stupid liberal worries about infection, saying if I cared so much about them, why wasn’t I using them. I tried to explain I was, but the masks only really work for sick people keeping their droplets off the people around them, not people without symptoms.  They laughed at that. Calm down indeed.  I left a few bucks of change on the counter, edge out the door, and literally ran to the car.  At least they weren’t coughing or sneezing.  But I still tried to disinfect in the car, and then at home.  I heard them making fun of, and getting angry about Inslee shutting down all the state’s schools as I left.  No wonder things are getting weird- one side thinks the whole thing is a hoax, and the other side is scared spit-less of being around a bunch of careless Petri dishes with an attitude.  So we’re stocking up the best we can, following advice, and trying to stay away from people. And this is in a fairly educated community.  God only knows where the mosh pits of the righties are, and what’ll come out of them.  Meanwhile I found a store that is staying stocked ( sanitizers are just gone though) with wipes and hand sanitizer ready to be used by all, eye protection for the employees and masks and scrupulous cleanliness, and some supervision of people behavior coming in and out.  The local Wells Fargo is even more proactive.  Guess where I’m shopping?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other shoppers, meanwhile, have reported seeing other shoppers use disguises - including hats, glasses, change of clothes - to go in and out of stores repeatedly to buy toilet paper, without being detected.

:funny:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australian stores have tried putting limits on basics, It's not working. People are sending their kids in to buy more.

They are also refusing to refund people with buyers remorse and suggesting they donate it to the charity bins so the pensioners can get something.

Start photographing these arseholes and posting on social media. Shame them into being good citizens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is fair enough to give people an idea of how stores look in countries with socialism :-) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good citizens?

China nationalized 3M production of N95 masks, scooping up their production as the crisis began.

Thats a big reason why there are a dearth of them in our hospitals here in the US.

Now Beijing is starting to release masks for international purchase, as well as “shipping masks abroad as part of goodwill packages.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

Good citizens?

China nationalized 3M production of N95 masks, scooping up their production as the crisis began.

Thats a big reason why there are a dearth of them in our hospitals here in the US.

Now Beijing is starting to release masks for international purchase, as well as “shipping masks abroad as part of goodwill packages.”

Is there a 25% tariff on them?

When the USA lifts it's sanctions on Iran I'll sympathise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amati said:

So I’m checking out at the local little local grocery, which isn’t picked over too much (Sanitizers etc)  and as I’m about to pay, I hear the manager (in her 60’s)  and the young check out person talking about her (the checker’s) bed sweats the night before.  I’m the only shopper in there, which I figure is good, and I’m doing my best to keep the suggested social distance.  The checker starts getting on my case about why I’m standing six feet away.  I explain it’s social distancing, and I get 5 minutes of attitude about how stupid that is, because the whole thing is a hoax drummed up by the media, and she’s not really sick, she’s just got the sniffles.  I just want to get out of there, but I’m getting a bit worried, so as I get to the door I ask them why no masks or hand sanitizer, and the manager hops away from me in an exaggerated way, making fun of my stupid liberal worries about infection, saying if I cared so much about them, why wasn’t I using them. I tried to explain I was, but the masks only really work for sick people keeping their droplets off the people around them, not people without symptoms.  They laughed at that. Calm down indeed.  I left a few bucks of change on the counter, edge out the door, and literally ran to the car.  At least they weren’t coughing or sneezing.  But I still tried to disinfect in the car, and then at home.  I heard them making fun of, and getting angry about Inslee shutting down all the state’s schools as I left.  No wonder things are getting weird- one side thinks the whole thing is a hoax, and the other side is scared spit-less of being around a bunch of careless Petri dishes with an attitude.  So we’re stocking up the best we can, following advice, and trying to stay away from people. And this is in a fairly educated community.  God only knows where the mosh pits of the righties are, and what’ll come out of them.  Meanwhile I found a store that is staying stocked ( sanitizers are just gone though) with wipes and hand sanitizer ready to be used by all, eye protection for the employees and masks and scrupulous cleanliness, and some supervision of people behavior coming in and out.  The local Wells Fargo is even more proactive.  Guess where I’m shopping?

 

THAT would be darwinism at work in that store....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had waves of orange and yellow license plates pouring over the bridge into PA from points east, with their occupants flooding our supermarkets and emptying shelves.

Oddly, it seems a bunch of them have decided to "Escape" the hotbed of corona virus in the NY metro area by heading to the resorts here. Not exactly the brightest thing to do, but here they are.

We have plenty of everything, including tp, so just planning to stay home and bbq while the kids play in the yard. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

2 for 5 bucks yesterday. 

The good old days.

tp.jpg

When you run out of dust masks, TP can be wrapped around your head to form an effective virus shield

dsc_8411.jpg

But don't be wasteful, don't do the full Mummy Wrap

- DSK

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning's shopping was busy but everyone was polite.  Toilet paper gone, cold medicine gone, eggs gone, every soup starter imaginable gone.  Rice mostly gone.  Ironically, the 'ethnic food isle' still had a lot of the same things - I picked up a bundle of vermicelli noodles to make some dishes and ended up grabbing eggs from a local convenience store.  No one is being weird from what I saw but I'm glad I went in when I went in - about 30 minutes after opening, every cart was gone and they were 5 deep at every register.  That store is always a train wreck by noon anyway and I'm guessing the wreck will be by 9:30-10 today.

Basically, I just doubled up on some of the staples.  The fresh stuff goes bad anyway.  Bought an extra container of peanut butter, some canned meats, noodles, sauces, spices, some solid shortening.  Normal stuff I can turn into 'food' :) at anytime as things find their new equilibrium.

I have never made Lasagna (just added on to pre-mades) but I bought some noodles on sale so this weekend I'm gonna experiment with some Veggie Lasagna.  Any recipe ideas welcome.  Meat is fine but I wanted to try something different.  I've seen some stuff with squash and carrots.  As long as it doesn't involve toilet paper, eggs, or cold medicine, I should be able to get ingredients.

At each stop, I grabbed an extra $20-$40 in small bills and stuffed a bunch of them in my wife's wallet when I got home (she NEVER caries cash).  Only one store didn't allow cash back which is a good sign to me.  Filled up the gas tanks.

Call of Duty is going free for the weekend so I'll have some entertainment!  In the mean time, the weather is crisp but clear, the traffic is light, and I see a walk in my future!

Stay safe. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never yet found a vegetarian lasagna recipe worth making, But you could try it with a spinach and ricotta filling if you can find frozen spinach and ricotta. Adding chopped mint and a little nutmeg into the mix helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shortforbob said:

I've never yet found a vegetarian lasagna recipe worth making, But you could try it with a spinach and ricotta filling if you can find frozen spinach and ricotta. Adding chopped mint and a little nutmeg into the mix helps.

There is a place in Philly, Charlie Was a Sinner, which had an incredible vegan lasagna. The ricotta substitute had a cashew base, and the meat substitute had a walnut base. My wife got something close, but we have been unable to replicate the walnut "ground beef". 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LenP said:

There is a place in Philly, Charlie Was a Sinner, which had an incredible vegan lasagna. The ricotta substitute had a cashew base, and the meat substitute had a walnut base. My wife got something close, but we have been unable to replicate the walnut "ground beef". 

I'll see what I can find!

Usually beans, nuts, carrots, and other tubers are decent substitutes.  I'm mostly just interested in 'taste good'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

I'll see what I can find!

Usually beans, nuts, carrots, and other tubers are decent substitutes.  I'm mostly just interested in 'taste good'.

 

eggplant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

I'll see what I can find!

Usually beans, nuts, carrots, and other tubers are decent substitutes.  I'm mostly just interested in 'taste good'.

 

Most of the nut based meat substitutes call for raw nuts, which can be hard to find. Still, tastes good can be achieved without it having the same taste and texture as meat. We have also had lots of "tastes good" luck with using cauliflower, which I believe is the ultimate shape shifting vegetable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LenP said:

Most of the nut based meat substitutes call for raw nuts, which can be hard to find. Still, tastes good can be achieved without it having the same taste and texture as meat. We have also had lots of "tastes good" luck with using cauliflower, which I believe is the ultimate shape shifting vegetable. 

Texture can be a bit dry with nuts and veggies. 

If god had intended Lasagna to be meatless she wouldn't have invented Bolognaise sauce and bechamel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Texture can be a bit dry with nuts and veggies. 

If god had intended Lasagna to be meatless she wouldn't have invented Bolognaise sauce and bechamel.

Can be dry with meat too. It is all in the prep. In my experience, most folks are very accustomed to cooking with store bought meat. When they try to cook meat from wild game, they cook it as they would store bought and get poor results. When most folks try to cook vegan recipes, they treat it as they would a meat based recipe and get poor results. In both cases, I had several failed experiments with poor results before landing on recipes that came out excellent. I grew up on Italian food, and have historically been a big meat eater, and can promise that vegan lasagna can be exquisite when done right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LenP said:

Can be dry with meat too. It is all in the prep. In my experience, most folks are very accustomed to cooking with store bought meat. When they try to cook meat from wild game, they cook it as they would store bought and get poor results. When most folks try to cook vegan recipes, they treat it as they would a meat based recipe and get poor results. In both cases, I had several failed experiments with poor results before landing on recipes that came out excellent. I grew up on Italian food, and have historically been a big meat eater, and can promise that vegan lasagna can be exquisite when done right. 

OK I'll believe you :) 

It's just I went  through a phase of trying Veggie lasagna years ago. They always seemed to put pumpkin in it or some strange Species of a nutmeggy thing that nearly killed me so I sort of gave up. It's the only allergy I seem to have and have no idea what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

eggplant?

I've not had great luck with eggplant but I might give that a try on half of it.

We'll see how it turns out!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shortforbob said:

OK I'll believe you :) 

It's just I went  through a phase of trying Veggie lasagna years ago. They always seemed to put pumpkin in it or some strange Species of a nutmeggy thing that nearly killed me so I sort of gave up. It's the only allergy I seem to have and have no idea what it is. 

I ended up stepping back from recipes for full Italian meals, and instead looked recipes for vegan substitutes for ingredients, then use vegan ingredients with my regular meat based recipes, and then adjust and iterate until it tastes right. Don't google "vegan lasagna recipe" google "vegan ricotta recipe" and "vegan ground beef recipe" or "vegan sausage recipe", and integrate those ingredients into your old standby recipes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife just got back from a quick run to Target.  Shelves pretty picked over but no shortages.  Bought some tp (not our usual brand) and paper towels in a smaller size package than usual.  We were down to our last couple of rolls of tp and I think we had 2 rolls of paper towels left.  Picked up some Lysol spray and a few other cleaning supplies.  Again, our supply was getting quite low.  Granddaughters coming later today, and at ages 2 and 5 they are walking Petri dishes.  

Wife once made a veggie lasagna using red bell peppers.  As I remember it, it was pretty decent.  Much lighter in texture without the meat.  Just looked through her recipe file and could not find it.  Something like it must be on the internet.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cmilliken said:

I've not had great luck with eggplant but I might give that a try on half of it.

We'll see how it turns out!

 

you have to slice it, sprinkle with salt and let it drain to get the bitterness out. Then make moussaka :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dacapo said:

THAT would be darwinism at work in that store....

If they take you with them, is it Darwinism?  It’s beginning to look like it’ll be possible to catch this thing multiple times before a vaccine or some sort of therapy is developed.  I’ve seen nothing that indicates immunity after you’ve had it. Hope I’m wrong.  No immunity granted by recovery will be Darwinism.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LenP said:

I ended up stepping back from recipes for full Italian meals, and instead looked recipes for vegan substitutes for ingredients, then use vegan ingredients with my regular meat based recipes, and then adjust and iterate until it tastes right. Don't google "vegan lasagna recipe" google "vegan ricotta recipe" and "vegan ground beef recipe" or "vegan sausage recipe", and integrate those ingredients into your old standby recipes. 

But how can you make lasagna without mozzarella and bechemel.?.I suppose one could use Soy milk

I could be vegetarian, but vegan is hard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

2 for 5 bucks yesterday. 

The good old days.

tp.jpg

Virtue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LenP said:

Can be dry with meat too. It is all in the prep. In my experience, most folks are very accustomed to cooking with store bought meat. When they try to cook meat from wild game, they cook it as they would store bought and get poor results. When most folks try to cook vegan recipes, they treat it as they would a meat based recipe and get poor results. In both cases, I had several failed experiments with poor results before landing on recipes that came out excellent. I grew up on Italian food, and have historically been a big meat eater, and can promise that vegan lasagna can be exquisite when done right. 

Just don’t put that nasty ass zucchini in it and I’ll happily devour it. Was a vegetarian for 17 years and lasagna was a go-to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

 

I could be vegetarian, but vegan is hard.

 

Truth. Did that for 3 months.

do you know why vegans are thin? They’re tired of chewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Just don’t put that nasty ass zucchini in it and I’ll happily devour it. Was a vegetarian for 17 years and lasagna was a go-to

Zuchinni is like tofu. Grate it, salt it, drain it, mix in chopped mint, feta and spring onions..delicious fritters.

Hmm now it's 3am and I'm hungry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Just don’t put that nasty ass zucchini in it and I’ll happily devour it. Was a vegetarian for 17 years and lasagna was a go-to

I like zucchini, but never put it in a lasagna.

ymmv, but I found it relatively easy to be vegan as long as we were doing all our own cooking. It gets really tough when traveling, which I did a lot of in the last 18 months, which is also why I fell off the wagon and began eating meat again. Even when eating vegan though, I might eat a piece of candy or a desert which had some small amount of dairy in it, as I was doing it to lower cholesterol and not out of food ethics. It did work for that, lost 50lbs which I really needed to lose, and my cholesterol was excellent after a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Zuchinni is like tofu. Grate it, salt it, drain it, mix in chopped mint, feta and spring onions.

And it still tastes like shit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LenP said:

I like zucchini, but never put it in a lasagna.

ymmv, but I found it relatively easy to be vegan as long as we were doing all our own cooking. It gets really tough when traveling, which I did a lot of in the last 18 months, which is also why I fell off the wagon and began eating meat again. Even when eating vegan though, I might eat a piece of candy or a desert which had some small amount of dairy in it, as I was doing it to lower cholesterol and not out of food ethics. It did work for that, lost 50lbs which I really needed to lose, and my cholesterol was excellent after a year. 

Hmm three months of meatless, butterless and cheeseless misery did nothing for my Cholesterol and nothing for my weight either. I'm still thinnish with fat blood.

Have resorted to Statins. Test next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SloopJonB said:

And it still tastes like shit.

If you've never had mint and zuchinni fritters with real tzatziki you haven't lived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Hmm three months of meatless, butterless and cheeseless misery did nothing for my Cholesterol and nothing for my weight either. I'm still thinnish with fat blood.

Have resorted to Statins. Test next month.

What about processed foods, sugars, bread, etc. ? We went with the forks over knives approach, or a modified forks over knives. That meant little to no processed foods, breads, sugar, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LenP said:

What about processed foods, sugars, bread, etc. ? We went with the forks over knives approach, or a modified forks over knives. That meant little to no processed foods, breads, sugar, etc. 

I don't eat much processed food. Brown rice steamed, salmon marinated with Mirin, soy and er sugar, with spinach is my good day dinner. 

Some people just have fat blood :(

Odd that there's still brown rice on the shelves, It really is nicer than white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, phillysailor said:

Good citizens?

China nationalized 3M production of N95 masks, scooping up their production as the crisis began.

Thats a big reason why there are a dearth of them in our hospitals here in the US.

Now Beijing is starting to release masks for international purchase, as well as “shipping masks abroad as part of goodwill packages.”

Mercantile mode of warfare?  

Are they assuming internal markets strong enough to support production without cutbacks?  


So much for notions of long range planning in the Kingdom - It’s almost Trumpian.....let’s hear it for the efficiencies of one man rule!

 ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps the real lesson here is, to start manufacturing stuff in your own country as well as overseas....

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Zuchinni is like tofu. Grate it, salt it, drain it, mix in chopped mint, feta and spring onions.

And it still tastes like shit.

I think you're getting it confused with kale.

Kale: the only produce that actually tastes better if you don't rinse the manure off it.

Well, there's brussel sprouts.........

- DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here at the remote cabin we have about a weeks worth of pancake mix and some old white rice. Not much else. Could be bad if the grocery shelves have been emptied by the greedy panic mobs in the far city.

Have a big box of .22's but haven't seen a single rabbit or turkey. Plenty gophers though? Enough 30-30 rounds but no deer for months. Any recipes for wild grasses? Bark? Maybe I should take the fire axe to town. Prowl around in stocked larders in the empty vacation homes of the rich hoarders in Carmel and Pebble Beach. On second thought, maybe the wifey would allow me to dust off my Cougar seduction skilz from the old YC days. Get my foot in the door. Do a pantry raid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard an interesting interview of an economist on NPR a few years back, during a hurricane, talking about the benefits of price gouging.  How if water is priced at the regular rate, the first few at the store buy all the water leaving none for everyone else.  Quadruple the price of that water and the first few there buy only what they need, leaving plenty for everyone else.  He also pointed out that the retailers would be publicly crucified for it.

The solution for panic buying is clearly available.  Raise the price of toilet paper to $5 a roll.  If that doesn't work, try $8.  Then $10.

But it's not.... for lack of a better term...  the Politically Correct thing to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice theory. Sounds like something Uncle Milty would have come up with.

There's an old saying - ask 6 economists a question and you'll get 10 opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think you're getting it confused with kale.

Kale: the only produce that actually tastes better if you don't rinse the manure off it.

Well, there's brussel sprouts.........

- DSK

nah, kale is disgusting. Tastes like burnt brussel sprouts.

 

 

 

 

I quite like Brussels, not soggy and dipped in butter and black pepper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lasagna turned out pretty good :)  Made too many noodles though.  My pan wasn't that big.  I'll probably end up cross cutting them and turning them into a Stroganoff or something.

Carrots/Onions/Mushrooms as the base layer, then Macadamia / Cashews in the middle, and Parmesan/Sauce on the top.  A bit too sweet but the nuts were interesting.  Family liked it.  Next time I'm gonna go with walnuts I think or a more tart marinara.  Maybe grate in some lemon zest or something.  It might even benefit from... KALE!  It actually might.  would offset the sweetness.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

The Lasagna turned out pretty good :)  Made too many noodles though.  My pan wasn't that big.  I'll probably end up cross cutting them and turning them into a Stroganoff or something.

Carrots/Onions/Mushrooms as the base layer, then Macadamia / Cashews in the middle, and Parmesan/Sauce on the top.  A bit too sweet but the nuts were interesting.  Family liked it.  Next time I'm gonna go with walnuts I think or a more tart marinara.  Maybe grate in some lemon zest or something.  It might even benefit from... KALE!  It actually might.  would offset the sweetness.

 

Good for you :) 

No, Kale would make it taste like burnt Brussel sprouts.

Pine nuts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shortforbob said:

Good for you :) 

No, Kale would make it taste like burnt Brussel sprouts.

Pine nuts?

Oh.. that sounds interesting...

Thanks for the suggestion!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

Oh.. that sounds interesting...

Thanks for the suggestion!

 

Actually, Pine nuts with egg plant might give you an interesting "meaty" texture...make a good Passata to go on top..with tomato, garlic, bay leaves, cloves . bechemel and mozzarella...and pasta.

Heh..this is a good thread..we can all exchange and actually try out these experiments when we're under house arrest :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

What a fucking guy.

Well maybe he'll miss the second coming :D

 

21 minutes ago, Pun Slinger said:

It is so Ironic to hear you liberals accuse others of dismissing the seriousness. 

Quite the hypocrisy flip from when Happy Jack said we as a nation were unprepared and that we should take steps. 

Seem the most conservative state in America is the one best prepared to weather this storm. 

So go ahead and laugh. Fake ridicule is all the left has. 

However if you show up on my doorstep in need we'll give blankets, some food and you can sleep in the barn or sailboat till you can make due on your own.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LenP said:

I like zucchini, but never put it in a lasagna.

ymmv, but I found it relatively easy to be vegan as long as we were doing all our own cooking. It gets really tough when traveling, which I did a lot of in the last 18 months, which is also why I fell off the wagon and began eating meat again. Even when eating vegan though, I might eat a piece of candy or a desert which had some small amount of dairy in it, as I was doing it to lower cholesterol and not out of food ethics. It did work for that, lost 50lbs which I really needed to lose, and my cholesterol was excellent after a year. 

Yeah, I had that funcky heart issue at 19, so was vegetarian till I was 36 and married a Korean gal...

Weight is up a bit, could be 20 years of married life. Cholesterol is still very low. I'm mostly vegetarian away from the wife, and the koreans eat meat, but not honking big chunks of it at a time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pun Slinger said:

It is so Ironic to hear you liberals accuse others of dismissing the seriousness. 

Quite the hypocrisy flip from when Happy Jack said we as a nation were unprepared and that we should take steps. 

Seem the most conservative state in America is the one best prepared to weather this storm. 

So go ahead and laugh. Fake ridicule is all the left has. 

However if you show up on my doorstep in need we'll give blankets, some food and you can sleep in the barn or sailboat till you can make due on your own.  

 

What shithole state you live in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pun Slinger said:

 

Seem the most conservative state in America is the one best prepared to weather this storm. 

 

 

Which one is that? Is it one that keeps taking my money cause they have a shit economy?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

Actually, Pine nuts with egg plant might give you an interesting "meaty" texture...make a good Passata to go on top..with tomato, garlic, bay leaves, cloves . bechemel and mozzarella...and pasta.

Heh..this is a good thread..we can all exchange and actually try out these experiments when we're under house arrest :D

Oddly enough, I LIKE egg plant. But Zucchini? NFW. Maybe in bread. Likely the issue is that my mother could only grow one thing in her garden, yeah, you know what it was, and she grew bushels of it. Zucchini in lasagna, in salads, chopped and with vinegar, cooked under a roasted chicken. Grilled and put on a sandwich. You name it, she tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raz'r said:

Oddly enough, I LIKE egg plant. But Zucchini? NFW. Maybe in bread. Likely the issue is that my mother could only grow one thing in her garden, yeah, you know what it was, and she grew bushels of it. Zucchini in lasagna, in salads, chopped and with vinegar, cooked under a roasted chicken. Grilled and put on a sandwich. You name it, she tried it.

But no fritters? Truth to tell, I didn't care for them much, essential in minestrone and that was it.  until I went to Kos and discovered their awesome potential.

My mum did that with pears, and yep, I loath pears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I just went to the big supermarket more to have a sticky beak than buy much* not panic buy**. Busy but not mad. No TP..No Pasta, no rice, no sugar*** little tinned stuff but plenty of alternatives.

* Managed to spend about $200US

**I did notice there were still boxes of 100 thin surgical glove..bought 3 boxes because the Library had hardly any last week no one seemed to want them.:wacko:

***Don't people know that castor sugar and pure icing sugar...is, well sugar? plenty of that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

Well I just went to the big supermarket more to have a sticky beak than buy much* not panic buy**. Busy but not mad. No TP..No Pasta, no rice, no sugar*** little tinned stuff but plenty of alternatives.

* Managed to spend about $200US

**I did notice there were still boxes of 100 thin surgical glove..bought 3 boxes because the Library had hardly any last week no one seemed to want them.:wacko:

***Don't people know that castor sugar and pure icing sugar...is, well sugar? plenty of that.

Heh - sugar is one thing we definitely *don't* need. We bought a shit-ton a couple months back in preparation for making a year's supply of apricot jam. Well, the sailing has been good so the apricots are halved & in the freezer and the sugar is still in the pantry. Making jam can wait a bit longer.

Now the plums are about done but the apples are pretty much ready to pick - provided the bloody parrots don't get them all first. Running out of freezer space though - a year's supply of blackberries & raspberries along with the stone fruit.

Lots of potatoes ready to harvest too.

Forecast is looking good so we might go back down the Channel & do some fishing.

FKT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Oddly enough, I LIKE egg plant. But Zucchini? NFW. Maybe in bread. Likely the issue is that my mother could only grow one thing in her garden, yeah, you know what it was, and she grew bushels of it. Zucchini in lasagna, in salads, chopped and with vinegar, cooked under a roasted chicken. Grilled and put on a sandwich. You name it, she tried it.

I have a problem with 'squingy' textures.  From raw tomatoes and raw eggs to overcooked okra, zucchini, and eggplant, slimy bother me.  I'm pretty sure it's mostly just visual.  I need em on something - on noodles, in bread, fried/frittered up.. just some sort of carrier to blunt the appearance. If you took cooked okra and froze it, i could probably get it down better than just sitting there oozing on a plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be something in Sydney's water.

Rang my Daughter tonight her household is down to 3 rolls.

The went to Coles, No TP, no baked beans, no toiletaries, No painkillers NO NO No No  

She said she'd put in an online order.:rolleyes:

Woolies cancelled online shopping today. Cant keep up the demand.

They laughed at me 3 weeks ago for stocking the pantry.

Looks like I'll have to open up Mums grocery store earlier than anticipated. :smug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Looks like I'll have to open up Mums grocery store earlier than anticipated. :smug

HA!

Well played!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Pun Slinger said:

 

However if you show up on my doorstep in need we'll give blankets, some food and you can sleep in the barn or sailboat till you can make due on your own.  

 

That's a GREAT idea.  It worked well for the English when they wanted the indians out of the way.

https://www.history.com/news/colonists-native-americans-smallpox-blankets

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Al Paca said:

What shithole state you live in?

floriduh...............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cmilliken said:

I have a problem with 'squingy' textures.  From raw tomatoes and raw eggs to overcooked okra, zucchini, and eggplant, slimy bother me.  I'm pretty sure it's mostly just visual.  I need em on something - on noodles, in bread, fried/frittered up.. just some sort of carrier to blunt the appearance. If you took cooked okra and froze it, i could probably get it down better than just sitting there oozing on a plate.

How do you feel about oysters?

- DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 12:28 AM, Mid said:

Chaotic scenes as coronavirus panic buyers swamp supermarkets

 

news.com.auMARCH 14, 20201:51PM

There are scenes of absolute chaos in Australian supermarkets today as panic buyers descend in their masses and strip shelves bare.

The pasta section was stripped bare.

d08917d686f5a56bef2e43936216b951?width=6

dfe08ba3c2f8cedc9b826e25cec41622?width=6

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/everyone-needs-to-calm-down-chaotic-scenes-as-coronavirus-panic-buyers-swamp-supermarkets/news-story/d9e718c507d9e7df617fb1ebebfbc32d

They need to put signs throughout the stores that say, "Don't be selfish.  Take what you NEED and leave the rest."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How do you feel about oysters?

- DSK

Depends on how much alcohol I've consumed :)  Honestly, a lot of food for me is setting.  I have zero interest in walking to the fridge and pulling out some oysters but eating them at a party is ok.

I don't smoke but I have smoked in the right setting and would again if the situation called for it.  I don't generally drink but I have drinks when I'm with friends who drink or with certain meals.  I don't cook okra but I will eat it in a nice Jambalaya.  When I travel, I almost always asked what the locals what they recommend and will order it, even if it wasn't my first choice.

BTW: I do think it's rude to ask someone what's good and then NOT pick it.  I've never run into a situation where I there wasn't something suggested that didn't sound good.  I wouldn't walk into an establishment in the first place if it didn't sell SOMETHING that sounded interesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Context

History-of-Pandemics-Deadliest-1-scaled.

Very misleading IMHO

Instead of just quoting numbers, how about relative infection/mortality rates of the population at the time? Population of the affected region? The bubonic plague forced a major change... a complete realignment actually... in politics and economics. Yellow fever had tremendous economic effect.

Reality is that "great plagues" sweep thru mankind every so often. We're spoiled and soft, and many are stupid/gullible to think that medical science is the problem.

The politics behind trying to convince the MAGAettes that "coronavirus is the common cold, folks... it's a libby-rull hoax... only pussy-ass Democrats are panicking" etc etc is really destructive. Why do you hate America?

- DSK

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cmilliken said:
49 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

How do you feel about oysters?

 

Depends on how much alcohol I've consumed :)  Honestly, a lot of food for me is setting.  I have zero interest in walking to the fridge and pulling out some oysters but eating them at a party is ok.

I don't smoke but I have smoked in the right setting and would again if the situation called for it.  I don't generally drink but I have drinks when I'm with friends who drink or with certain meals.  I don't cook okra but I will eat it in a nice Jambalaya.  When I travel, I almost always asked what the locals what they recommend and will order it, even if it wasn't my first choice.

BTW: I do think it's rude to ask someone what's good and then NOT pick it.  I've never run into a situation where I there wasn't something suggested that didn't sound good.  I wouldn't walk into an establishment in the first place if it didn't sell SOMETHING that sounded interesting.

 

I love oysters but eating filter feeders from our coastal waters has become problematic IMHO. That's also why I now think farmed shrimp are healthier than "real" shrimp.

Eating is social, agreed. It's always awkward when somebody sharing a meal has long list of stuff they don't eat. I have to watch my weight nowadays but pretty much eat anything.

- DSK

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try this raw.  It's called Sea Squirt or Sea Pineapple, in Korea it's known as Meong gae. 

It tastes better than it looks.

Image result for sea pineapple tasteImage result for sea pineapple taste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Try this raw.  It's called Sea Squirt or Sea Pineapple, in Korea it's known as Meong gae. 

It tastes better than it looks.

Image result for sea pineapple tasteImage result for sea pineapple taste

Sure, deep-fry it and stick a toothpick thru it... you're talking to a guy who has in fact eaten the eyeball...

- DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites