Sign in to follow this  
roon

Bow pole fittings

Hi all, hoping the worldly expertise of the SA sports boat fraternity may be able to assist me.

i own a Skippi 650 Cruiser. It currently has a retractable bow pole that exists through the bow just under the sheer. I’m wanting to make this an articulating pole via an under deck mounted radial track/car and some kind of fitting in the bow. Does anyone have any modern day solutions to a through the bow fitting to enable a canting pole? 

Thanks all, Roon

6 hours ago, roon said:

Hi all, hoping the worldly expertise of the SA sports boat fraternity may be able to assist me.

i own a Skippi 650 Cruiser. It currently has a retractable bow pole that exists through the bow just under the sheer. I’m wanting to make this an articulating pole via an under deck mounted radial track/car and some kind of fitting in the bow. Does anyone have any modern day solutions to a through the bow fitting to enable a canting pole? 

Thanks all, Roon

I do not think that there are "any modern day solutions" for articulating poles that will result in better downwind VMG.

That is why most designers abandoned that concept after a few experiments such as Bull 7000 in 1993 and  Handerson 30  in 1997.

3 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

I do not think that there are "any modern day solutions" for articulating poles that will result in better downwind VMG.

That is why most designers abandoned that concept after a few experiments such as Bull 7000 in 1993 and  Handerson 30  in 1997.

Except of course the entire Mini 650 fleet.  Googles image "mini650" and you'll see heaps of options.  Pretty fiddly though, so what works for them in ocean races probably won't suit you around the buoys. 

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Except of course the entire Mini 650 fleet.  Googles image "mini650" and you'll see heaps of options.  Pretty fiddly though, so what works for them in ocean races probably won't suit you around the buoys. 

Cheeers Scarecrow. Good info, I’ll do some googling.

Thanks Marcus. I should have prefaced that the Skippi 650 is not really a sports boat....she’s more your trailer sailor. Agree on a modern day lightweight sorts boat, no need for pole cant. 

hours ago, marcus brutus said:

As you accurately observed "what works for them in ocean races probably won't suit you around the buoys"; mini 650 couldn't be farther apart in purpose and function from Skippy 650 Cruiser.

But that won't stop some from believing that they can make silk purses out of sow's ears.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/nacira-650

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/scandinavia-650-race

27 minutes ago, roon said:

Thanks Marcus. I should have prefaced that the Skippi 650 is not really a sports boat....she’s more your trailer sailor. Agree on a modern day lightweight sorts boat, no need for pole cant. 

You own a lovely boat; enjoy it to the max.

3 hours ago, marcus brutus said:

You own a lovely boat; enjoy it to the max.

Thanks Marcus! We have one race that we do each year which involves sailing in narrow/draft restricted channels and typically it's a downwind race. Here's an image from last year where we attempted a little goose winging of the chute....

Skippi Square.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 7:11 PM, roon said:

Thanks all, Roon

Take a look at the I550 blogs. There are few of the builders who has made articulating pole solutions: http://i550class.org/#blogs

19 hours ago, stealth said:

Take a look at the I550 blogs. There are few of the builders who has made articulating pole solutions: http://i550class.org/#blogs

Thanks Stealth. Ideally what i am looking for is a spherical bearing type of arrangement made from Acetal or similar which would facilitate rotation of the pole through the bow all whilst having a nice tight tolerance to reduce water ingress. Could go the old boot style and oval shaped bow hole but thought the world may have moved on since those days :-)

On 3/20/2020 at 9:45 PM, roon said:

Thanks Stealth. Ideally what i am looking for is a spherical bearing type of arrangement made from Acetal or similar which would facilitate rotation of the pole through the bow all whilst having a nice tight tolerance to reduce water ingress. Could go the old boot style and oval shaped bow hole but thought the world may have moved on since those days :-)

I550-231 Blog:   Chad's articulating pole design provides the largest arc for thru hull i550.  He finished the boat 2013 and he is on the i550class.org site.   

http://i550knotracing.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-05-30T09:56:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=77&by-date=false

IMGP1750.JPG

If an articulating prod is a must, mounting it above deck like on ANTRIM 27 is the only way to keep the interior dry.

antrim_27_drawing.thumb.gif.0e71e2aaa30c555186cce697d8cd4cd2.gif

• Like 2

Here's some photos of mine in build. Prodder slides in & out thru a spherical nose piece that permits articulation.  The vertical support pivots from a heim joint at the sole and works quite well.  Later 4:1 tackle mounts to each side to move side to side.  These lines exit at the cockpit so the pit can adjust the prodder.

Az sprit control1.jpg

Az sprit.jpg

Az sprit control2.jpg

• Like 2