Alaris

Taylor 40 ML Meridian

There is a Taylor 40 here named Grace with identical topside paint job.  She arrived here maybe 8 years ago I would guess.  Haven't seen her out much the last few years so I can't say if the sail numbers match up.

I believe the current owner is here on SA, so he may spot the thread title and chime in at some point.

12 hours ago, 12 metre said:

There is a Taylor 40 here named Grace with identical topside paint job.  She arrived here maybe 8 years ago I would guess.  Haven't seen her out much the last few years so I can't say if the sail numbers match up.

I believe the current owner is here on SA, so he may spot the thread title and chime in at some point.

Yep.  That is the boat now known as Grace, living here in Vancouver.  As 12m said, she arrived form Toronto about 8 years ago.  We did a season or so of frequent local races, but then it dropped off a lot.

She really is a very nice looking boat, and that wheel is awesome.

Here we are at at Thursday eve beercan race start.

Gracestart2red.jpg

• Like 1

That’s fantastic! Well, make sure you post in this thread if you ever decide to sell so I get a notification! Enjoy, she really is a dream to steer with that wheel. 

If I were building a new boat, Jim Taylor would design her and Brooklin Boat Yard would build her.

http://brooklinboatyard.com/blackfish/

16 hours ago, Alaris said:

Lost track of her after St. Mary’s sold her. Anyone know what has come of her? https://tayloryachtdesigns.com/designs/taylor-401/

I miss that boat. Still to my eyes one of the prettiest boats ever built. 

14D4BA5D-C100-457D-B78E-9B6F3632050D.jpeg

Long time no see man.

As noted she went off to the PNW. I saw it at Jabin's just before it left, needed substantial work.

1 hour ago, Expat Canuck said:

Yep.  That is the boat now known as Grace, living here in Vancouver.  As 12m said, she arrived form Toronto about 8 years ago.  We did a season or so of frequent local races, but then it dropped off a lot.

She really is a very nice looking boat, and that wheel is awesome.

Here we are at at Thursday eve beercan race start.

Gracestart2red.jpg

Did you guys re clear coat the mast?

The mast took a beating after she got struck by lightning at the SMCM dock (as did the Hendo)

29 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

If I were building a new boat, Jim Taylor would design her and Brooklin Boat Yard would build her.

http://brooklinboatyard.com/blackfish/

Every boat JT designed was just jaw dropping beautiful. 

11 minutes ago, doghouse said:

Did you guys re clear coat the mast?

The owner had it in Toronto for a while before bringing it to Vancouver, so I'm not sure what he did with it, but it looked good when I was onboard.

Great boat!

I remember racing on one in Padanaram, Mass.  It was one of the last years of IMS racing. Somehow, It is vivid as the bartender would not let you have a drink and a shot on the bar at the same time.  My wife from Germany made a big deal out of it and we almost got sent back to where we came from.

Sail Safe!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Expat Canuck said:

The owner had it in Toronto for a while before bringing it to Vancouver, so I'm not sure what he did with it, but it looked good when I was onboard.

Good to hear. It was basically all gone, and the bottom had some gnarly ass brushed on power boat anti fouling on the bottom. She is a very unique and cool boat, happy it's been brought back up to standard.

8 minutes ago, doghouse said:

Good to hear. It was basically all gone, and the bottom had some gnarly ass brushed on power boat anti fouling on the bottom. She is a very unique and cool boat, happy it's been brought back up to standard.

Yup, rode hard, put away wet, beer cans down below, and no budget for upkeep. Then sold pennies on the dollar.

10 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Yup, rode hard, put away wet, beer cans down below, and no budget for upkeep. Then sold pennies on the dollar.

That’s so sad. I was there when we first got her and we treated her like a newborn. Things clearly changed with the change in offshore/keelboat leadership after my class graduated. 

It's just the nature of the beast. There's no money to maintain these kinds of boats in a college program. When St Mary's got done with Prelude, one of our previous donations, it was basically uninhabitable. Promises, the Tripp 38, too. You just have to be ok with the college kids getting some joy and experience out of it.

2 minutes ago, doghouse said:

It's just the nature of the beast. There's no money to maintain these kinds of boats in a college program. When St Mary's got done with Prelude, one of our previous donations, it was basically uninhabitable. Promises, the Tripp 38, too. You just have to be ok with the college kids getting some joy and experience out of it.

Last I heard Promises is on the market for $55k so she either had a major refit or has some seriously optimistic owners (or both)

It was completely refurbished by Larry Kumins, who bought it from SMSA. @voodoochile is the current owner.

2 minutes ago, doghouse said:

It was completely refurbished by Larry Kumins, who bought it from SMSA. @voodoochile is the current owner.

Good for them!! I never spent any time on promises, but fitikoko was a delightful boat to sail. 

4 minutes ago, doghouse said:

Didn't they run into something pretty hard with it a few years ago?

Ps long time no talk are y’all racing anything these days? I’m still racing the old mod J/105 and BI40. But I’d do silly things to get the green boat at my dock again. Had her up on the Severn for a week for some college publicity thing and it felt right at home. 

6 minutes ago, Alaris said:

Good for them!! I never spent any time on promises, but fitikoko was a delightful boat to sail. 

4 minutes ago, Alaris said:

Ps long time no talk are y’all racing anything these days? I’m still racing the old mod J/105 and BI40. But I’d do silly things to get the green boat at my dock again. Had her up on the Severn for a week for some college publicity thing and it felt right at home. 

Promises was built slightly higher grade than As Larks aka Fitikoko. I don't think Fiti had the carbon in her for one thing. But overall very similar boats.

Yeah, we built a Carkeek 40 last year, just finished the Miami - Eleuthera race last week with it. Fantastic race, hope more people take a crack at it next year.

5 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Dunno. I'm sure Leroi can chime in though.

I love the taylor 40s I remember one from ey west race week a long time ago named v-max fast little sucker.

15 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I love the taylor 40s I remember one from ey west race week a long time ago named v-max fast little sucker.

Different Taylor 40s' - Fred's was an earlier (1989?) IMS design (masthead, alloy rig), the one discussed by the OP is a later generation 1997 design (frac, c-fiber rig). The 1989 Taylor 40 was about 3-6 sec/mi faster than a late 80's 1-Ton, the newer Taylor 40 about 30+ sec/mi faster.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, trimfast said:

Yea, we did hit a little C&C 30 a few years back. They had sailed up under us about 2-3 boat lengths away.   Our tiller extension  broke off heading DDW in 20+ kn and we chinese jibed into their rear quarter.  No damage to us, but a lot to the C&C.  Larry had done a lot of updates, we continued with replacing the standing rigging, re-powering w/3gm30 Yanmar, fresh paint inside plus mast and  topsides to be done this winter, new electronics....anyway, lots of work.  The other boat (Fiti) is in St Pete and we help crew at NOODS for the last 5 or 6 years.  Both still out point most anything and are still stiff.   Leroi

• Like 1

Just now, voodoochile said:

Yea, we did hit a little C&C 30 a few years back. They had sailed up under us about 2-3 boat lengths away.   Our tiller extension  broke off heading DDW in 20+ kn and we chinese jibed into their rear quarter.  No damage to us, but a lot to the C&C.  Larry had done a lot of updates, we continued with replacing the standing rigging, re-powering w/3gm30 Yanmar, fresh paint inside plus mast and  topsides to be done this winter, new electronics....anyway, lots of work.  The other boat (Fiti) is in St Pete and we help crew at NOODS for the last 5 or 6 years.  Both still out point most anything and are still stiff.   Leroi

All three of these ex-SMCM boats to come up in this thread (fiti, promises/voodoo, and meridian) go upwind like a Saturn V. Glad they are all still seeing good use. 

On 3/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, voodoochile said:

I remember running into something soft. Was it goose shit shoal up the Rappahhanock?

11 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

I remember running into something soft. Was it goose shit shoal up the Rappahhanock?

Not gooseshit shoal, duckshit shoal named for the duck farm on the shore.  10' deep to 4' deep and like a wall but all sand.  You don't so much run aground as bounce off it.  How did you get hooked up with the Meridian boys?

1 hour ago, voodoochile said:

Not gooseshit shoal, duckshit shoal named for the duck farm on the shore.  10' deep to 4' deep and like a wall but all sand.  You don't so much run aground as bounce off it.  How did you get hooked up with the Meridian boys?

Mutual friend (Sol Rosenberg) introduced me to Doghouse after a Mac several years ago. Doghouse then did a couple of Macs with me and I had the opportunity to sail with them last month. Good people. 

We still need to get you up here sometime to do some lake sailing. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 4:04 PM, doghouse said:

We used to maintain the boats in our offshore program at suny maritime.  If you were on the crew, you worked on the boat every day after classes.  Or you got booted off.

15 minutes ago, bgytr said:

We used to maintain the boats in our offshore program at suny maritime.  If you were on the crew, you worked on the boat every day after classes.  Or you got booted off.

When I ran the keelboat team at SMCM, I was the boat captain in addition to being team captain. I spent basically every afternoon before practice on the boats fixing and cleaning. I also poured my summer earnings into fixing things we had no actual budget to fix. I begged and begged and got about $1,000 a year for safety equipment, that was the total budget for the four years I was there.

That was a different time. We had two big boat teams back then (my team had a Hendo 30 and Olson 30; the other had Fiti and Meridian). 

All of this to say, some of us took care of the gifts we knew we were lucky to have. But we knew we were the exception. 

2 hours ago, Alaris said:

When I ran the keelboat team at SMCM, I was the boat captain in addition to being team captain. I spent basically every afternoon before practice on the boats fixing and cleaning. I also poured my summer earnings into fixing things we had no actual budget to fix. I begged and begged and got about $1,000 a year for safety equipment, that was the total budget for the four years I was there.

That was a different time. We had two big boat teams back then (my team had a Hendo 30 and Olson 30; the other had Fiti and Meridian). 

All of this to say, some of us took care of the gifts we knew we were lucky to have. But we knew we were the exception. 

Yep back in those days we fixed it or learned how and then fixed it.

4 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Mutual friend (Sol Rosenberg) introduced me to Doghouse after a Mac several years ago. Doghouse then did a couple of Macs with me and I had the opportunity to sail with them last month. Good people. 

We still need to get you up here sometime to do some lake sailing. 

Love to come up!  Call me.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:44 AM, bgytr said:

It's not a question of work, it's a question of money.