How is it affecting your sailing? Still have regattas to sail? Missed regattas because of it? Buy or sell boats during it? I can tell you that I lost a potential sale of A4 because of it.

So jump in and tell us what is happening in your neck of the woods - ed.

I’m going to the liquor store to buy a keg of beer, rent a tap and pick up 5 bottles of vodka since New Jersey bars and liquor stores close at 8pm until further notice. Our race meetings have been postponed and the club closed. My work will slow down next week and I’ll have time to work on my boats. I have to cut the cockpit sole out of the 20’ to get a little more legroom since no one wants to go racing. The Chinese have given me the time and reason.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Marblehead has cancelled the rest of the frostbiting season, Nantucket cancelled Figawi, and our club has had to indefinitely postpone a rules seminar.

PacCup had to go virtual on a seminar. I'm concerned that a 3 week shutdown, and the inevitable delays in starting back up will impact our ability to get on the water and actually sail, given the boat is keel-less, rudder-less and mast-less at the moment.  Couple of the crew are also small business owners, and if this crushes them financially...

I'm under a work from home company mandate, no visiting customers. Our YC has closed for two weeks, will review end of March. Its still winter here so no sailing to be missed but my June holiday is already cancelled by the cruiselines, for good reason.

The Annual Southern Straits race (52-year legacy) is been canceled. Our club was going to send the junior sailing team for a California regatta that has been canceled. I don't know yet with our sail past or Swiftsure etc ....yet. Some non-saling events have been canceled. Club is open though. 

And oh ya. The Sidney floating boat show on Vancouver Is. has been canceled (30 year legacy)

Our season doesn't start until May.  Hopefully we're allowed at the lake by then.  In the meantime, I'll support my favorite chandlery and fix the piece of keel that I busted off getting my boat on the trailer at our last regatta.  I just gave $250 to a local boat mechanic to overhaul my outboard as well.  I'm not going out to eat, but I'm still spending money!

1 hour ago, Editor said:

How is it affecting your sailing? Still have regattas to sail? Missed regattas because of it? Buy or sell boats during it? I can tell you that I lost a potential sale of A4 because of it.

So jump in and tell us what is happening in your neck of the woods - ed.

At 70 + I've seen plenty of bad stuff. I plan on doing exactly the same thing Ive done every year since 1980, until I can't.... Fuck it.

• Like 2

Isn’t there already a thread specifically titled for this subject that’s beem going on for a week?

or did it only come to consciousness because a guy lost a sale of his boat?

mr moderator. Delete this thread! 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

Isn’t there already a thread specifically titled for this subject that’s beem going on for a week?

or did it only come to consciousness because a guy lost a sale of his boat?

mr moderator. Delete this thread! 

yeah, that's exactly why - you are so insightful. i simply wanted to post the question on the fp to see what some people thought about what's happening now. douche.

28 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

Ed, you have to know he is a returd - a turd that was flicked and came back - they are always floating up in PA. 

edit: The next local regatta is scheduled Apr 4-5 and as of today is on inviting anyone whose event was cancelled to come.  Since a number of other events have been cancelled this past week with a few hours notice I would pencil this one in.  Sunday's fun race had a great turnout and fantastic weather - this is a low key pursuit race, not committee and the only registration is radio that you are competing. Crew hugging is right out.

Surprising under the circumstances  but our Melbourne AUS brokerage is having the best first quarter of the year for about 5 years, boat sales are steady and prices are holding up ok. Our colleagues in Sydney are reporting a similar situation. We have no idea if it will continue that way but for now, we're happy.

I have had prospects tell me they cant / wont do anything right now in the face of the pandemic and tumbling share prices but on the other hand the last boat I sold went for full asking price within a week from listing. Go figure.

Moth / Wazsp / UFO regatta just successfully concluded in Key Largo, good turnout and good fun for moths and UFOs, champagne conditions on the 3 scheduled days.

Lots of elbow bumping. I had time in between racing to prepper shop at the local supermarket, and to get my 10yo son fly properly on the UFO for the first time - he is over the moon about it.

Given the incubation periods, too early to tell whether we did it just in time, or we made it worse. Friday we'll know.

Next foiling regatta, April 4th is cancelled. My club is hinting closure, so I'll pull my boats out and park them in a beach nearby; hopefully I can sail them and work on them if/when everything stops. Have some composite work to do... 

We close on a J/111 tomorrow and our J/120 is now on the market.  Doesn't seem like the cleverest timing ever, but we'll manage.  

Our next two races were to be in Canada.  One has been cancelled and now we would have to self-quarantine for 14 days before attending the other, so that's kind of out too.  

And since we bought an ad here, you can check out the listing of our J/120 here:

https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/1998-j-120-shearwater-2/

and here:

https://sailnorthwest.com/boat/j-120-2/

74216827_10156380548591498_8032453240048

• Like 1

I wasn't able to buy a boat before the quarantine order hit the SF Bay, so my dream of practicing singlehanded spinnaker jibes will have to wait. But the quarantine itself has made boat ownership during the plague somewhat moot.

Life seems to be currently going on as usual in Opua, New zealand.  As an example,  check out the local calendar for the Opua Cruising Club at http://opuacruisingclub.co.nz/events/ 

In the mean time; we wonder if we will be able to sail back north toward Tonga or Fiji come April and May as we notice that the Marshall Islands andf Micronesia are now effectively closed to all visiting yachts. Interesting time to be on a sailing trip around the world 

Our club has canceled all sorts of things.  Classroom portion of adult sailing school, St. Patrick’s Day party and dinner, monthly membership meeting, virtually galley functions, and I forget what else.

Our local RC sailing event next weekend is under discussion.  Opinions are varied about whether we can make it safe.  Just showing up and sailing should be fine, but if we need to use the rescue boat to go get one of the boats that could be an issue.  I suspect in the end we will decide to can it.

6 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

The Chinese have given me the time and reason.

WRONG - The virus has given you the time and the reason - dipshit!

• Like 5

guys, thanks for all the posts - fucking encouraging as hell. anarchists going for it - who woulda thunk it? ;)

4 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Surprising under the circumstances  but our Melbourne AUS brokerage is having the best first quarter of the year for about 5 years, boat sales are steady and prices are holding up ok. Our colleagues in Sydney are reporting a similar situation. We have no idea if it will continue that way but for now, we're happy.

I have had prospects tell me they cant / wont do anything right now in the face of the pandemic and tumbling share prices but on the other hand the last boat I sold went for full asking price within a week from listing. Go figure.

Well done, that doesn’t surprise me, it’s a rich get richer economy due to finance conditions, cost of living, dead flat wages & this virus will only extend that further. There will be heaps of opportunities to make money out of this if you are cashed up. Shares / management rights for holiday letting complexes / bigger businesses absorbing market share / buying the competition for cents on the dollar or even buying the left overs from liquidator etc etc.   

4 hours ago, Roleur said:

We close on a J/111 tomorrow and our J/120 is now on the market.  Doesn't seem like the cleverest timing ever, but we'll manage.  

Our next two races were to be in Canada.  One has been cancelled and now we would have to self-quarantine for 14 days before attending the other, so that's kind of out too.  

And since we bought an ad here, you can check out the listing of our J/120 here:

https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/1998-j-120-shearwater-2/

and here:

https://sailnorthwest.com/boat/j-120-2/

74216827_10156380548591498_8032453240048

i need to go buy some lottery tickets..

• Like 1

Disappointing in Southern California, NOOD, Yachting Cup, Baldwin Cup, Ensenada cancelled. NHYC just cancelled this weekends H20 racing.... What are you going to do!

I sent a letter to my commodore today trying to explain this is the new normal, we can still race just cannot party at the club afterwards. Begging them not to cancel this summers twilight/beercan series.

Just got an email from the sleepy little club where I help out from time to time.  Easter regatta (expecting 100+ OTB boats) cancelled.  Friday night bar closed UFN.  

Bugger!

Hasn't fully hit here yet. Yacht racing as per usual. Encouraged to go to the bar after race to socialize. Supposedly there are a lot of private jets flying in to the country because it is somewhat of a safe haven ( not many cases reported, fairly safe country, lots of rural area with low population and reasonable medical care) .  We are all talking about it but sort of in a Trump kind of way with our heads in the sand. It may hit here soon but for now business as usual. Interesting to see the world freaking out. We are prepaid anyway to be hunkered down. Glad I Still surf!

7 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Explanation - blokes telling their wives it is a matter of survival ...a "floating bolt hole" to escape the Peronivirus. Mate start saying everything on your books has a desalinator and see how you go.

8 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

The people buying your boats are probably the same people hoarding TP and other stuff. They will be loading up the boats and hiding out until everything settles.

All closed. I can see my laser but not allowed to take it out.....  Weird thing is that my club is completely closed as it is regarded as a sports facility. Commercial marina' s however, are still open.

Sent this to our members today ..

UPDATE - Covid 19 Precautions And Cancellations 

email-receipt.php?b=4508024&r=cstannage@  ereceiptv2.php?b=4508024&r=cstannage@me.

Dear Members

Since our email to you of last week, we have all learned a lot about what the coming months is going to bring to our community. We've spent a lot of time contemplating how the Club and its activities might contribute to the "flattening of the curve" and the slowing of the rate of community transmission of the Covid19 virus. Accordingly, and with a deep sense of sadness, we have decided to take the following steps to reduce the risk to both our saiing community, and the community generally, effective immediately:

1. All Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoon training sessions for the Opti, Opti Green Fleet, Laser and 9'er fleets are cancelled for the balance of Term 1;
  2. All Learn2Sail classes are cancelled for the balance of Term 1;
  3. This Sunday's TrySailing class is cancelled;
  4. In conjunction with Hunters Hill High School, the Tuesday afternoon Learn2Sail and Thursday "Ready, Set, Sail" Resilience Program are each suspended pending further consideration from the Education Department;
  5. The April Block Sailing Camps will be cancelled and refunds will be issued to those that have already booked.

We are contemplating the Club's position in relation to the following :

1. The balance of the Club's racing calendar through to Closing Day Club Championships on Sunday 5 April;
  2. The current 29er Skiff Skills program underway at the Club in conjunction with the NSW 9ers Association;
  3. HHSC 29er Sunday training for the balance of Term 1; and
  4. AGM and Presentation Night.

Our plan is to have an update to you later this week on Items 2 and 3, and this weekend's Club racing, by Thursday evening.

In relation to other sailing activities, we note:

• NSW Opti States has been deferred to a date to be agreed, most likely in September;
  • Australian Opti Team Camps scheduled for Adelaide this weekend have been cancelled;
  • World Masters Laser Championships in Geelong have been Cancelled, and the Australian Masters Championship currently underway, shortened;
  • The World Cup series due to be held in Genoa, Italy has been cancelled;
  • The Princess Sophia Trophy (and Olympic selection event) in Mallorca Spain has been cancelled;
  • SailGP San Francisco has been cancelled;
  • and many other events, camps and functions.

Please stay safe out there and help those around you stay safe as well.

With all our best wishes

Chris Stannage, President & Andrew Livermore, Commodore

HHSC

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roleur said:

you're going from a 120 to a 111? Are you still planning to race offshore?

Currently In Puerto Vallarta for MEXORC. Locals are pretty much unconcerned with the exception of Zero spring breakers. Lots of Euro tourists though.

• Like 1

All regattas and races have been cancelled or postponed until further notice at Royal Cape Yacht Club in Cape Town. The club is only open to members at the moment.

Our plan is to proceed as normal with spring boat prep. We are doing some pretty heavy work this spring all of which involves small groups of people, respirators, gloves, and tyvek suits, so not a lot of worries from our team. From that point we will look and see what will happen with the Mills Race and Cleveland Race week. I suspect if this lingers into May, we will see these cancelled. 

Be safe and selfless out there everyone!

January was the best month in the 16 year history of our company. February was a very close second. People are continuing to order team gear but now mostly for events beginning in late June and beyond (Pacific Cup, Newport Bermuda, CHI-MAC etc).  Cruising customers are getting UPF protective apparel. Some plan to do some extended cruising and will need a higher volume of gear than they normally get. We still have the BEST CREW 60% deal in place for the Pro-Tech short sleeve, long sleeve and hoodies. Use coupon code "BEST CREW" at checkout when you order 8+ shirts of any combination in the Pro-Tech line.

Many thanks for all of you who have shopped with us over the years. Sailing events will return and there is nothing stopping you from hitting the water with family and small groups of friends. The ocean and the lakes are there and are waiting for you. We are open and shipping blank as well as printed apparel while many other companies are closed. Order up!

43400822_1903131113104231_451930894270201856_n.jpg

Alec Snyder Syd=Hob 2019.jpg

Andrew Fisher DOUBLE JOINTED IC37 2.jpg

Brooke in SeaFoam Green.jpg

EX25657Lat_LimitlessTrophy-722x600.jpg

Team Ruby.jpg

All sailing / boating off limits in France during this "social isolating" lock down. FFV already cancelled all racing, training, schools etc. Current cancellations only into April sometime, but everyone assuming we should be looking at restarting some time in June, with luck....

As a Yacht Broker, zero business whilst all this goes on. Clients cannot travel, pretty much anywhere. I have already lost 2 deals, for now at least. I do not expect to complete a deal for some months ahead, so just keeping working at networking, contacts, potential future stuff....

My aged crew Shanghai Sailor made an excellent point weeks ago, about mask wearing in China. More a psychological effect than physical protection. People wearing a mask are aware of the issue. Today's "Attestation de Déplacement Dérogatoire" in France is the same. You need to carry with you a signed form stating why you are out - essential shopping, medical reasons, important family support, exercise. Makes people listen to the advice to minimise contact.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

We had registered the kids to compete in the RS Tera World Championships in South Africa.  The RS Tera folks cancelled the event.  Making it better, they are keeping 100% of the $600 entry fee, and 100% of the boat charter fee.  Way to build a class.  Emirates will let us reschedule the flight from LAX to Cape Town, and the safari folks are allowing us to reschedule.  The RS Tera folks though, strictly are offering the back of their hands (or their middle finger).

Dry Armor is (presumably) still shipping the regatta shirts and pennies for the kids.

BCYC cancelled the Bogart race (Avalon and return), and has refunded 100% of the entry fee.

3 minutes ago, caneesq said:

The RS Tera folks cancelled the event. 

Who dat?

10 minutes ago, caneesq said:

We had registered the kids to compete in the RS Tera World Championships in South Africa.  The RS Tera folks cancelled the event.  Making it better, they are keeping 100% of the $600 entry fee, and 100% of the boat charter fee.  Way to build a class.  Emirates will let us reschedule the flight from LAX to Cape Town, and the safari folks are allowing us to reschedule.  The RS Tera folks though, strictly are offering the back of their hands (or their middle finger).

Dry Armor is (presumably) still shipping the regatta shirts and pennies for the kids.

BCYC cancelled the Bogart race (Avalon and return), and has refunded 100% of the entry fee.

The shirts were finished last week and the pinnies were shipped yesterday and will be there today FEDEX.  I am so sorry they canceled the event. Keeping the charter fee is ridiculous IMHO.

6 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Who dat?

Clearly, a version of boat which doesn't rise to your level.  If you are interested, you can find some information about them here

Just now, DryArmour said:

The shirts were finished last week and the pinnies were shipped yesterday and will be there today FEDEX.  I am so sorry they canceled the event. Keeping the charter fee is ridiculous IMHO.

we look forward to the gear nonetheless.  The kids will be Team USA at other events.  Obviously, no rush to send anything FedEx.  Save whatever you can on freight.

Their sailing team has even cancelled practice for the next month.  No hurry, and thanks for making them.

Re: the entry fees.  Agreed.  The OA actually sent an email to me explaining it wanted to make itself whole (cover 100% of its own expenses), so is keeping all the money.  Great way to build a class.

7 minutes ago, caneesq said:

Clearly, a version of boat which doesn't rise to your level.  If you are interested, you can find some information about them here

Oh for fuck's sake you sure are stupid for a lawyer.

I did a video on the Tera when it came out ya fucking monkey.  I was asking who cancelled the event and kept the money.  RS management?  The host club?

Melges 24 Worlds cancellation.  That's gonna cost me minimum $500.

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Oh for fuck's sake you sure are stupid for a lawyer.

I did a video on the Tera when it came out ya fucking monkey.  I was asking who cancelled the event and kept the money.  RS management?  The host club?

The OA, yes.  RS Tera Int'l

Yeah, I don't follow your videos, so I am stupid.

49 minutes ago, DryArmour said:

They have arrived.  Thanks again

D830B40A-5CAC-4BDE-AF5C-4D003959CC11.jpeg

• Like 2

cute kids. keep em out of law school

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, caneesq said:

They have arrived.  Thanks again

D830B40A-5CAC-4BDE-AF5C-4D003959CC11.jpeg

Super cute!  Thank you for letting me know it all arrived :-). Have a great week and thank you for the order. Be sure to send some of them wearing the swag while sailing. We hope we made their time at home, off from school a little more fun. Something to look forward to.

1 minute ago, DryArmour said:

Super cute!  Thank you for letting me know it all arrived :-). Have a great week and thank you for the order. Be sure to send some of them wearing the swag while sailing. We hope we made their time at home, off from school a little more fun. Something to look forward to.

You clearly have.  First time customer.  I've seen your company for years.  Glad we've connected this time.  You delivered everything you promised, just as you said you would.  You'll hear from me again regarding the grown up boat.

Frostbite season with the Flying Fifteen has been buggered by the weather. 6 consecutive Sundays its been too windy.  Too cold to get the topcoat on the big boat's deck done. Now the bar's shut and the fitting. out dinner cancelled. Harrump!  

No bog paper either.

Club is closed till the end of the month... Can still go sailing just no racing. Was looking forward to N2E this year...

The closings are the right thing to do however. It will help. 

Talks and events have been cancelled at our club, including a visit by Maiden in June. Galley is serving take-out lunches only. Gatherings inside have been stopped and staff is wiping down surfaces frequently and washing hands a lot.  Members are encouraged to use outside facilities (docks, porches, grounds). Crew is still busy installing moorings for the upcoming season.  Commissioning isn’t until May, so we’ll see what happens. 

Yachting NZ was surprisingly bullish in their email to clubs. Our Club in NZ will run out the remainder of the LTS season 3 weeks. The Young 88 keel boat Nationals are still on this weekend with no briefing, party etc. Opti and Starling Nationals due to be held mid-April are having plenty of discussions about proceeding. The Optis would fall under the large gathering restrictions so will have to do something and the usual AUS and Tahiti sailors won't come in any event with our self isolation requirements.

And most importantly the Auckland Girls regatta has been postponed from this weekend.

We're due to travel 800 km to the Starlings and have booked so if the regatta is cancelled we will just turn it into a family holiday.

Two of the principal reasons why this virus is spreading so fast:-

1. The virus is already multiplying before the patient becomes severely symptomatic. The patient is shedding virus and infecting other people before they are aware that they have the disease.   If you wait until other people in your community are displaying symptoms, you have left it too late.

1. This Virus sheds in extraordinary large numbers . This is a huge difference from the flu or SARS virus.  CV19 sheds approximately 100x more virus from a patient than either SARS or Flu.

Comparisons to the flu are absurd. The Mortality rate is approximately 70X that of any flu epidemic in the last 20 years. The R zero (transmissibility) is at least double. In layperson's terms you are 150X more likely to die if you meet someone with CV19 than the flu.  

Mortality rates do not tell the whole story. The virus has a viscous lasting impact on the respiratory system. 30 year olds who recover may be facing their remaining 50 years with damaged lungs. 

The disease thrives on contact. It could be stopped or paused if everyone self isolated for 3 weeks. Obviously that is nigh impossible but every selfish bugger who decides that they are 70 years old and have seen it all, and the good and courteous practice of social distancing doesn't apply to him is helping the disease kill and injure other people. The skipper who lacks in leadership and thinks his crew should be put at risk so that he can carry on racing even if the club is closed for the social event is either misinformed or selfish.

True leadership is leading by example.

Encourage your community and your friends to respond early and isolate. Try isolating as a local community. Its more fun and its more effective. Your neighborhood, street, yacht club etc. can create  a group within isolation. If one person takes turns for 5 families going shopping then you reduce contact by 80%.  The disease thrives on contact. Find ways to defeat the disease.

Create a online community

.  Keep up with your friends. Celebrate contact isolation as a group so that real isolation is avoided. Dont let anyone in your community get lonely. Create online communities. Offer to shop for the elderly....and drop their groceries at the front door and talk through the door.

Encourage your friends to wear masks (even a neck scarf washed every time you return from going out…it all helps.) If you have a N95 mask even better.  I have read some nonsense on social media about masks not being wholly effective. Nothing is 100% effective . However its important to understand the science. The CV 19 uses the law of large numbers to spread. In general viruses are very inefficient at attaching themselves to their receptors but CV19 overcomes this by hurling itself in large numbers. If you can keep the large numbers down then the probability of the virus succeeding in attaching itself is significantly reduced.  If a mask keeps out 80-90% of the droplets you are dramatically reducing the odds of infection. This is a respiratory disease.  Yes of course clean your hands but you dont catch the disease through your hands.  Wear a mask!

Local communities will determine outcomes . Personal leadership will determine outcomes.

Complacency in the critical first 15-21 days is the defining common characteristic of areas with high incidence and high mortality rates.

Stay Safe!

VMK

• Like 5

The general public should not be sopping up particle respirators and N95 masks. But other htan that all good

I'm days away from hanging a 'For Sale' sign on a property, just waiting for the paint to dry!

Pre-coronavirus price projected a 20% ROI...

Now... ?????     

I'll take a push at this point!

I'm glad I live in a small, rural town of 10Kish!

I am in the shelter in place zone of the bay area.  Can I go sailing single handed on the bay?  no boats on the bay today.  It says outdoor activity OK if you practice social distancing.  does anyone have any info.  I do not want to be boarded by the coast guard.

Just now, B dock said:

I do not want to be boarded by the coast guard.

why would you be boarded by the coast guard?

Breaking quarantine.  Also been hearing the shelter in place order may be extended to 8 weeks.  Newsom is already saying schools are "unlikely" to reopen.

On other related topics my wife is a researcher who studies pathogen transfer but in amphibians. She is connected to RNA/genetic sequencing labs throughout the country and world.  This thing is mutating; the Italian strain is mutating from the north american strain.  No one knows if these mutations will increase its potency.  From the sequencing they can trace its transmission history.  This thing has been on the west coast likely since early December.

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

I'm glad I live in a small, rural town of 10Kish!

remember a small remote Alaskan village was wiped out by the Spanish flu.  I do not think there is any place to hide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, B dock said:

Breaking quarantine.  

"San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said police are asking the public to voluntarily comply. While violation of the health order could be enforceable as a misdemeanor, “that is an absolute last resort,” Scott said. “This is not about a criminal justice approach to a public health issue.”"

• Like 1

We had to cancel our toga party . . 

2 hours ago, B dock said:

remember a small remote Alaskan village was wiped out by the Spanish flu.  I do not think there is any place to hide.

Except from each other perhaps. That's one major reason the lockdown in China has been pretty effective. I would guess anything less drastic than what China did would result in a slower or less effective results in term of an arrest of viral spread. It does however take the general acceptance and practice by the population.

All clubs in our neck of the woods have suspended racing indefinitely and the Brisbane to Gladstone yacht race has been cancelled for the first time in its 72 year history. I suspended operations at my sailing school and charter business today and laid off all my instructors. Our marina is like a ghost town and most allied marine business will be closed by the weekend. Sailing is one of the main industry’s in our village and many people are now without an income. I never imagined I would see something like this. It is devastating. Stay safe everyone.

I just checked and the local sailing group (the non yacht club) still has a regatta scheduled this weekend.  12 boats across 6 classes although with no penalty for late registration there is often a rush by end of week.  The casual fun race is still on for Sunday (had 17 last week).  I have done one almost every weekend this year, going to skip this weekend. I know and like the crew, very nice people. Infection is extremely low here but then testing is non existent and has happened only when severe enough to require hospitalization.  So.....  not willing to roll the dice any longer.

LB - really sad to hear your news,  ski slopes closed, now restaurants/bars closed here - the people who have the least will be hurt the most.  As someone told me post Hurricane Katrina when I was working in the NOLA area - when the flood comes the wet get wetter. 

Hoping we don't get too wet.

No new sails, no self tacker track system (instead of Hoyt Jib boom), wanted to replace the Yanmar Throttle (handle part), don’t know when going to the yard for the annual haul out will work (sick yard employees, availability of parts, paint, etc),  what happens if shelter in place order comes down, and the boat needs 3-4 days on the hard (We’re 5-6 hour motor away)?  What happens if We start getting symptoms while the boats on the hard?  I do need to find out if I can work on the boats down at the marina now.  I’m hoping that being outside and keeping social distance will work, but I need to call the port.  That and I’m getting sick of folks getting mad at me when I ask them to stay 6 feet away, and that’s going to to be different than the usual working on the boat, much less going sailing with anyone other than my wife.  No day sail or weekend over to Canada (15 day quarantine we hear- is that right?)

The 3 week quarantine here allows essential businesses to remain open, which happens to include "repair facilities" so Kahoots is still seeing work progress. They had to ask the DIYers to not come in. Our marina has shut down all services except the toilets.

I am still hopeful for the PacCup - but the organizers sent out a chilling note:

Something along the lines of: Ensure you're prepared, given the length of the asymptomatic period, of one or more of your crew getting sick several days into the trip.  Pretty sobering to think about. We have 3 months to go. Will it blow over?  Doesn't seem likely.

20 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Mortality rates do not tell the whole story. The virus has a viscous lasting impact on the respiratory system. 30 year olds who recover may be facing their remaining 50 years with damaged lungs. 

Source?

I've heard there can be long lasting affects from pneumonia on the key 'complications'. But, isn't that true with most pneumonia?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Source?

I've heard there can be long lasting affects from pneumonia on the key 'complications'. But, isn't that true with most pneumonia?

They think 20-25% of the infected will have long term lung damage, some percentage permanent.

https://www.sciencealert.com/even-those-who-recover-from-corona-can-be-left-gasping-for-breath-afterwards

• Like 1

Swiftsure is gone.    Mainly because 60% of the racers are Usanian and can't cross the border any more - even by water.

PacCup could be saved by testing being widely available right before the event....

21 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

(lotsa stuff)

Mambo, I generally agree but there are some points where I don’t: 

1. A mask worn by a healthy person may lower his or her risk of infection in the single digit percentages, if at all. When inhaling, air just flows through the gaps between the mask and your face, so wtf? The only ones who should wear masks (or bandanas or scarfs in front of their faces) are those who are infected. When exhaling, even the most primitive piece of cloth in front of your schnozz will reduce the radius of the cloud of microscopic droplets that surrounds you by about 50 to 90 percent - and this will protect others. (These are long known standard clinical hygiene facts.) 

2. Covid 19 causes, at worst, a viral (=interstitial) pneumonia. This either kills you or it heals out. It usually DOESNT leave those who recovered with severely damaged lungs. (This is derived from Chinese data. Yes, you cannot trust them, but in the light of what we know from other interstitial pneumonias, it seems probable...) 

Ok, stay safe and remember: Rum helps against EVERYTHING! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

They think 20-25% of the infected will have long term lung damage, some percentage permanent.

https://www.sciencealert.com/even-those-who-recover-from-corona-can-be-left-gasping-for-breath-afterwards

That's 2-3 out of 12 who were hospitalised. And the study was shorty after, so whilst there was damage, there is no indication it is certainly permanent.  There's no info on how severe these patients symptoms were or their age etc. But most (all) of those hospitalised would be those with complications like pneumonia? 
It also doesn't say how lung capacity was measured pre-virus. 

So I don't see how that study can be in anyway extrapolated to conclude that 30 years olds with the virus and just the basic covid-19 symptons will suffer a 'viscous lasting impact on their respiratory system'. 

Of course,  mambo says 'may'. And I don't want to downplay any of this. But, we can't really say much for sure about the long term effects. 

21 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

The virus has a viscous lasting impact on the respiratory system. 30 year olds who recover may be facing their remaining 50 years with damaged lungs. 

16 hours ago, B dock said:

Breaking quarantine.  Also been hearing the shelter in place order may be extended to 8 weeks.  Newsom is already saying schools are "unlikely" to reopen.

On other related topics my wife is a researcher who studies pathogen transfer but in amphibians. She is connected to RNA/genetic sequencing labs throughout the country and world.  This thing is mutating; the Italian strain is mutating from the north american strain.  No one knows if these mutations will increase its potency.  From the sequencing they can trace its transmission history.  This thing has been on the west coast likely since early December.

Social Distancing is not Quarantine.

14 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I read it. But I read it as a doctor, not as a lawyer. :lol: 

“some”

”might”

”x to y percent”

No objective test of lung function (these exist!) 

Short follow up time. (Everybody who survived pneumonia will need some time to get up to 100% eventually.) 

and, most important:

”12 cases” 

Sorry, but this is not evidence as scientists define it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

All clubs in our neck of the woods have suspended racing indefinitely and the Brisbane to Gladstone yacht race has been cancelled for the first time in its 72 year history. I suspended operations at my sailing school and charter business today and laid off all my instructors. Our marina is like a ghost town and most allied marine business will be closed by the weekend. Sailing is one of the main industry’s in our village and many people are now without an income. I never imagined I would see something like this. It is devastating. Stay safe everyone.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

“some”

”might”

”x to y percent”

and, most important:

”12 cases” 

No, but it's more probative than your statement "It usually DOESNT leave those who recovered with severely damaged lungs."  Maybe we could reserve the absolute statements until more data comes in?  This thing might really fuck up vapor kids

• Like 1

club is closed for all social and sailing collective activities, but you can get to your boat and go sailing by your own.

19 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

No, but it's more probative than your statement "It usually DOESNT leave those who recovered with severely damaged lungs."  Maybe we could reserve the absolute statements until more data comes in?  This thing might really fuck up vapor kids

extrapolating results from a very small study, very soon after recovery (from covid), with patients of unspecified age and unspecified complications to the permanent health implications for 30 year olds who may have a mild covid-19 symptoms is dangerous in times like this. 

Just because the the articles sound sciencey, doesn't mean they are. It's one step away from the 50+ age group who spread copy and paste heath tip messages on facebook from trusted 'medical friends'. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

extrapolating results from a very small study, very soon after recovery (from covid), with patients of unspecified age and unspecified complications to the permanent health implications for 30 year olds who may have a mild covid-19 symptoms is dangerous in times like this. 

More dangerous than having kids running around on the beach sharing coronavirus jello shots?

2 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

More dangerous than having kids running around on the beach sharing coronavirus jello shots?

anyone doing jello shots deserves to die. that's natural selection. 

But seriously, potentially, yes. I don't really know. But  I can envisage a situation where the biggest danger to under 30s could really be hospitals overloaded and not the covid-19 disease directly. And if care workers and health professionals are shit scared of getting convid-19 because of fake news, to the extent they stay home in fear of catching it and the 'lasting impact on the respiratory system' then, well, that could be dangerous. 

On the other hand, if there is, in the future, some proper science that indicates lasting impacts, to an extent that we should change strategy, then the reporting of that, and dissemination of such important information may be impacted by this earlier fake news. Like, the boy who called wolf. 

So joking aside, idiots will share idiotic stuff. But if you can try and be responsible about what you share, then that will help. Everyone is just trying to get through this and figure this shit out. 

11 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Commiserations LB, and to your laid off instructors as well.  My son is a pro sailor (years of instructing and coaching as well), and has finished his current gig in Sydney, supposed to be heading for Antigua, then Majorca, then the USA etc.  Now?  Nothing!  Probably better though than getting over there and becoming stranded, without travel insurance cover.

There are going to be millions of people who find themselves without a paycheck for quite a while to come.  I don't have an answer.  But my planned retirement in May looks as if it is going to have to be postponed - the superannuation fund has already dropped 20% without me drawing a cent!

• Like 1

NZ Opti and Starling Nationals due to be held in April postponed until further notice with another review next month.

1 hour ago, 10thTonner said:

“some”

”might”

”x to y percent”

Short follow up time. (Everybody who survived pneumonia will need some time to get up to 100% eventually.) 

and, most important:

”12 cases” 

What do you think of this, as a doctor-  seems easy enough to test.  And as a last resort, it might make some sense?

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/diy-homemade-mask-protect-virus-coronavirus/

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

Senate passes house Covid-19 bill and sends it to tRump.

For the record:  The bill passed by a vote of 90-8. Those who voted against the bill are Republican Sens. James Lankford, Mike Lee, Rand Paul, Tim Scott, Marsha Blackburn, Ben Sasse, Ron Johnson and James Inhoffe.