Sign in to follow this  
Spoonie

"Miss Nylex" Notes from wing designer

My parents are cleaning out, but in their position was a book of mine I specifically asked them to keep: 

"Catamaran Sailing To Win", Chris Wilson & Max Press , 1973

Which you can amazingly still get on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Catamaran-Sailing-Wilson-Chris-Press/dp/B002I7IKCI

There was a bunch of reasons I wanted to keep it, but one of it was the notes around the design and campaign of "Miss Nylex", I think one of the first, if not the first solid wing C class.  It was also apparently quite controversial in the use of "Nylex", it's sponsor, as part of its name.

Anyway, very much old hat now, but I thought some of you might find of interest the short note and drawings by wing designer, Roy Martin on the benefits of rigid wings (circa 1971).  The justification for one of the first wings in Catamaran racing we now know and love in the Americas Cup.

Cheers
Spoon.

MissNylexWing1.PDF

MissNylexWing2.pdf

MissNylexWing3.PDF

• Like 5

Very cool and still relevant 49 years later.  I converted the PDF scans to touched up images:
(started with just the diagrams on page 35, then did the other two pages as well.  Links to full size images: p. 34, p. 35 and p. 36)

MissNylexWing1.thumb.png.b3c2fcdfc786d61c6f2e48a36f2c0be7.png

MissNylexWing2.thumb.png.86cc47ad55f95b1bd8e182251b01c1aa.png

MissNylexWing3.thumb.png.662a4b073c27ce2bbf2fcca5d41e1fd0.png

• Like 5

Got that book as a kid . Absolutely read it to death and still manage to flick through it occasionally some 45years latter .