Sneaky Duck

Financial Goal, a boat in both Hemispheres

Got talking to a buddy who always talks about how his ultimate baller goal in life is to have a private jet.  I told him that mine's to get to the point where I've got a boat here in the States, and another in Europe.  I know a bunch of people who've done that.  I'm curious, how do people typically do it?  Where do you store your boats and how much does it cost when you do?

It is (or was before C19) very easy to obtain permanent residency in Lisbon or Malta if you buy a condo there and hold on to it for a while.

My plan was to keep an '80s Fast Is Fun type boat here in SF, and something like one of the bigger Beneteau Firsts or a Pogo of some sort on the Mediterranean. Post C19, the Admiral may insist that we relocate to Taiwan.

I'm talking about a small race boat like a Star or Finn.  My goals are not that big.

5 hours ago, sailsandsales said:

Got talking to a buddy who always talks about how his ultimate baller goal in life is to have a private jet.  I told him that mine's to get to the point where I've got a boat here in the States, and another in Europe.  I know a bunch of people who've done that.  I'm curious, how do people typically do it?  Where do you store your boats and how much does it cost when you do?

Why not ask

'a bunch of people who have done that', hm?

Given the boats you mentioned: rent or find a club. After 'the event'.

You do realise that Europe and the States are in the same hemisphere don’t you?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rangi said:

Which then of course means that their sailing seasons coincide?

(Captain Obvious to the rescue! :ph34r: but it should be mentioned)

9 hours ago, sailsandsales said:

Many of us enjoy the American grasp of geography.  My kids recently visited the US and were amazed to discover that some Americans were actually able to walk and speak at the same time.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, European Bloke said:

Many of us enjoy the American grasp of geography.  My kids recently visited the US and were amazed to discover that some Americans were actually able to walk and speak at the same time.

No doubt your kids will manifest the arrogance of the decaying continent as their balm for it's decline.

2 hours ago, Rangi said:

You could argue that most of Europe is in the Eastern Hemisphere... not sure what the point of winning that argument would be, though :-).

Cheers,

W.

39 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

Which then of course means that their sailing seasons coincide?

(Captain Obvious to the rescue! :ph34r: but it should be mentioned)

Actually, there are north, south, east and west hemispheres. The US and Europe are in the northern hemisphere, but not all of Europe is in the Western Hemisphere. (Divided at prime meridian) 

Also, hemispheres have nothing to do with sailing seasons as they are so large geographically. Southern Florida and the Caribbean are in the northern hemisphere(and Western Hemisphere) as is Canada. Southern Florida and the Caribbean have a year round sailing season whereas Canada most definitely does not. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Squalamax said:

Southern Florida and the Caribbean have a year round sailing season whereas Canada most definitely does not. 

Of course you're right about the various hemispheres, but the thing is, if you keep a boat in a location with a year round season, what's the point of having another boat half a world away?

And then if you have a boat in a location with a more limited season, what's the point of having another boat, half a world away, with the SAME sailing season?

Unless you think it's fun to spend the best part of a day in a plane to go sail for a couple of days, and then spend the best part of another day to fly back home, multiple times per year. That may be 'reasonable' if that ride is a J-class or something like that (and you have the budget to match), but for the boats the OP is talking about?

Now if you have a boat in another part of a world, where you can go to for a couple of weeks/months and engage in some serious sailing and/or competition, at a time when your home waters are frozen over?

That might make some sense

2 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

No doubt your kids will manifest the arrogance of the decaying continent as their balm for it's decline.

Grammatical errors when attempting to be supercilious are never a good look. 

• Like 2

That’s why I avoid both grammatical errors and supercilious commentary. One could argue a comma was missing,  but that would be supercilious if you, and borderline pedantic. 

12 hours ago, sailsandsales said:

11 hours ago, sailsandsales said:

I'm talking about a small race boat like a Star or Finn.  My goals are not that big.

Sailandsales,

i know of a few people here in Australia that leave 505’s in Germany and they go over each year to sail a few of the bigger regattas.

They leave the boats at Jess Holgers, segelsports farm. I’m told that he charges a fair price and the boats are undercover 

Pulpit

• Like 2

5 hours ago, European Bloke said:

As an American that has lived in Europe for more than 20 years now, I find most American tourists are only able to walk and YELL at the same time.

It's embarrassing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

That's fucking hilarious.

"Arrogance, decaying, decline".  Sounds more like the US to me.

• Like 3

Not sure why it always surprises me when rather then answering a simple question people jump on me about how I phrase it.  Good times.  As just about anyone can see looking at my Avatar, I race Stars.  The western Hemisphere Championships are always over here somewhere, and the Eastern Hemispheres are (as far back as I cared to look) in Europe.  Italy, Germany, Austria....  My goal, as 1 mentioned, is to have a boat over there that I can just go race the big events and not have to ship my other one.  Keep in mind, this is an ultimate goal.  I get it that it's probably a lot cheaper to charter a boat for an event, or ship mine.  But that's a heck of a lot less fun.

• Like 1

I understand your goal. Charter boats are a pain because they often just aren't quite right. Shipping you boat is a pain because you can't use it when it's on a ship...

The key is finding somewhere to keep it. That somewhere needs to be convenient for where you want to use it, safe, and have facilities to get maintenance done.

The suggestion to ask on the class forums was the best one.  Answering that question will give you the cost.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

That's fucking hilarious.

"Arrogance, decaying, decline".  Sounds more like the US to me.

Ask Italy, Switzerland, France and Germany how it’s working for them this week. 

You could very well have a sports boat in each of the hemispheres, professionally prepped and ready to go.

Accommodation booked including hookers, but it would all come to naught.

Nobody's goin nowhere and when they are able to few will be able to afford it.

Isn't it so much fun when a coupla smug hemispherists go toe to toe?

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 12:42 PM, sailsandsales said:

Once you get the logistics sorted give me a call. Happy to look after your babies. For a price of course.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:00 AM, Rangi said:

Depends on who is drawing the lines

On 3/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, LionessRacing said:

That’s why I avoid both grammatical errors and supercilious commentary. One could argue a comma was missing,  but that would be supercilious if you, and borderline pedantic. 

hint - it's the superfluous apostrophe!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

Ask Italy, Switzerland, France and Germany how it’s working for them this week. 

I don't know about Switzerland and France but I live right across the river from Germany.  The borders are closed but my wife has permission to cross because she works in a hospital there.  Most shops are closed as they are here in Poland.  The food shops are well stocked and toilet paper is plentiful.  People are adhering pretty well to social distancing and not going out unless they have to.  Alcohol is also in plentiful supply, so there's that.

So that's my anecdotal evidence, I can't speak for the entire countries but that's what's happening in my part of Poland and Germany.

On the other hand from what I have read here, and talked to about with family and friends in the US , things aren't going as well.  YMMV.

One thing that's different is people in this part of Europe are rather accustomed to hardship.  There are still a few people that were around during WW II and a few more that remember the immediate aftermath.  Food and many goods were often rationed and in short supply.  Wages are low here and people don't buy everything from Amazon or buy a bunch of shit they don't need.  The newer generations are becoming more materialistic but are in no way as obsessed with buying everything of credit and filling their overly large homes with useless junk.  

25 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

One thing that's different is people in this part of Europe are rather accustomed to hardship. 

The lack of any real hardship here since WW2 is the reason this dumb fucking country was able to elect a carnival barker to run it.  The uneducated no longer had the institutional memory of times when a president's leadership ability made the difference between life and death.  They're learning now, but a lot more slowly than the virus is.

• Like 4

On 3/21/2020 at 2:18 AM, Squalamax said:

have a year round sailing season whereas Canada most definitely does not. 

Hmmm...you must be front Toronto (the centre of the universe)

Last I checked, BC was still part of Canada and places like Vancouver and Victoria most definitely have year round sailing.

The Polar Bear series (Oct-Mar) just wrapped up a week or two ago.

• Like 1

Philippe Kahn kept two fully rigged Farr 40s in different countries.  So did Marcus Blackmore.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 9:05 AM, sailsandsales said:

Not sure why it always surprises me when rather then answering a simple question people jump on me about how I phrase it.  Good times.  As just about anyone can see looking at my Avatar, I race Stars.  The western Hemisphere Championships are always over here somewhere, and the Eastern Hemispheres are (as far back as I cared to look) in Europe.  Italy, Germany, Austria....  My goal, as 1 mentioned, is to have a boat over there that I can just go race the big events and not have to ship my other one.  Keep in mind, this is an ultimate goal.  I get it that it's probably a lot cheaper to charter a boat for an event, or ship mine.  But that's a heck of a lot less fun.

Its unlikely to be difficult, your best option is to talk to some of the European star sailors you know and ask them where a good storage option would be. I know at least one US soling sailor who keeps a boat in Europe. You are more likely to get rational answers by asking people who race the boat you are interested in.

• Like 1

AFAIK guys who have a Euro or an Oz boat either have a residence somewhere nearby, some sort of long-term storage worked out, a club membership or a good buddy with reciprocal privileges in the New World. You also have to go to the other continent relatively frequently in order to keep your stuff from getting put in the bushes or absconded by hooligans, you can't just set up in Lake Garda and expect everything to be the way you left it next year.

Its is possessive like his, her

It's is a contraction of it is

Mmkay

On 3/21/2020 at 4:00 AM, Rangi said:

Well, not necessarily. While, yes, they are both on the northern hemisphere, most of Europe is on the eastern hemisphere while all of the American continent is on the western hemisphere, as the dividing line is the Greenwich meridian. 

• Like 1

In spiritte of teh of OP....................

I remebere the nite.............                  :)

On 3/21/2020 at 6:26 AM, alphafb552 said:

(I)f you keep a boat in a location with a year round season, what's the point of having another boat half a world away?

And then if you have a boat in a location with a more limited season, what's the point of having another boat, half a world away, with the SAME sailing season?

Regattas in Europe are often bigger and better than those in North America. So there’s that.

The scenery and women are often prettier, too. And the food is great.

Long story short: there are plenty of reasons to keep a boat there.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:26 AM, alphafb552 said:

Unless you think it's fun to spend the best part of a day in a plane to go sail for a couple of days, and then spend the best part of another day to fly back home, multiple times per year. That may be 'reasonable' if that ride is a J-class or something like that (and you have the budget to match), but for the boats the OP is talking about?

You’re entitled to your own opinion, but personally I’d consider transatlantic flights to be time and money well spent for the privilege of competing in SSL events and similar OD regattas.

Too, you’re assuming that the OP will go direct from the airport to his boat, sail, and then return directly home. That’s certainly possible, but it’s more likely he would spend a few extra days sightseeing, shopping, etc.

Keeping a boat in Europe expands one’s sailing network and provides an extra reason to spend time in beautiful places. For those with the necessary time and money, it’s a great idea.

On 3/20/2020 at 7:42 PM, Sneaky Duck said:

As you already know a bunch of people with relevant experience, talk to them and ask for their advice. Most sailors are happy to share information, especially if it has the effect of growing the fleet.

If the above doesn’t pan out, decide where you’d like to base your European boat, and look around for local clubs in the general area. You will probably one that has indoor storage for members’ boats. Join that club, as soon as possible, so that you can get on the waiting list (if any) for storage. Prior to purchasing your boat, participate in some of its events as crew and/or RC: clubs want active members, not ‘customers’ who are renting storage space.

BTW, to encourage active racing, many clubs with storage facilities levy a surcharge if a boat is not raced in X number of club events per year. No big deal, it helps the club’s finances, and for you is just ‘a cost of doing business’.

If you can’t find a suitable club, it is usually possible to find someone with space in their barn/shed/garage that they are willing to rent out.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:42 AM, paps49 said:

You could very well have a sports boat in each of the hemispheres, professionally prepped and ready to go.

Accommodation booked including hookers, but it would all come to naught.

Nobody's goin nowhere and when they are able to few will be able to afford it.

Sad, but true. The current restrictions won’t last forever, but who really knows how long it will take to get back to the old ‘normal’, or if that will happen at all.

International travel will probably be more expensive, and come with a lot more hassles ... at least in the short and medium terms.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:41 AM, Svanen said:

Sad, but true. The current restrictions won’t last forever, but who really knows how long it will take to get back to the old ‘normal’, or if that will happen at all.

International travel will probably be more expensive, and come with a lot more hassles ... at least in the short and medium terms.

IMHO, it will never happen. We'll have to develop a new "normal" because what we once knew as "normal" is now gone...

2 hours ago, Trovão said:

IMHO, it will never happen. We'll have to develop a new "normal" because what we once knew as "normal" is now gone...

The time before COVID 19 shall hereafter be referred to as “the good old days.”  Yes Johnny, there was a time when people did not wear masks when they went outside and there were these places where people went to to eat food.  They were called restaurants.

• Like 1

If a foreign army imposed the restrictions on our freedoms that are being implemented, we would fight to the death to stop it, we’d sacrifice millions. But here we are, doing it ro ourselves. We deserve this.

• Like 1