Jules

NFL 2020

21 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Man, I love Fitz. It’s killing him to be on the bench, but then he turns around and drops this:

9BF2FC5E-DEFB-4AA4-92A2-9BD7039B53E5.jpeg

Never forget he played at Harvard.

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

I remember. I love watching him play.  He gets so much joy out of it, unlike most players. But yeah, he’s a bright one. 

On 11/2/2020 at 2:27 PM, B.J. Porter said:

With a lot of family in New England and having lived there for 20+ years, I have a lot of insufferable Pats fans in my life. Staying silent with the most band-wagonish of the lot is a challenge.

My experience is, admittedly, limited.  But, I know of no other type.

Arrogant in victory and surly in defeat.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:
On 11/3/2020 at 8:27 AM, B.J. Porter said:

With a lot of family in New England and having lived there for 20+ years, I have a lot of insufferable Pats fans in my life. Staying silent with the most band-wagonish of the lot is a challenge.

My experience is, admittedly, limited.  But, I know of no other type.

Arrogant in victory and surly in defeat.

Nothing is more annoying in sports than an overbearing bandwagon fan.

Most of the Pats fans I know have no clue how to deal with watching or being a fan a losing team, because they didn't follow or root for the team the last time they were terrible. They haven't had a losing season since 2000, or back to back losing seasons since 1993. A Pat's fan in her early 20's knows no other QB but Brady, no other coach but Belicheat. But older adults like some members of my family I won't call out weren't the least bit interested in the Pats in the 90s.

I have to hand it to my paternal grandfather, who was an enthusiastic fan. He made fun of them some times and joked about how terrible they were. But he tuned in to every game, cheered for them to win and was back next week when they didn't. I'm glad I got to take him to a game at Foxboro. They were terrible in the early 90s, but like me with the Bengals in the Lost Decade, he soldiered on. I can't even remember how the game we saw turned out, but we had fun, though he agreed the game was easier to follow on TV.

My other grandfather was also a fan; he played semi-pro ball for the South Providence Huskies back when leather helmets where a thing, so he was a lifelong fan too. Though he was more catholic in his tastes (I think for his love for the game as a player), and would watch other teams as well.

FUN EXERCISE: Ask someone in a Brady jersey to name the QB before Brady, and any QB from the 90s or earlier.

(historical note: The Bengals "Lost Decade" was 13 years, not a decade)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

All the Lions overbearing bandwagon fans are in retirement homes or graveyards.

1 hour ago, Tax Man said:

You had those?

4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Most of the Pats fans I know have no clue how to deal with watching or being a fan a losing team, because they didn't follow or root for the team the last time they were terrible. They haven't had a losing season since 2000, or back to back losing seasons since 1993. A Pat's fan in her early 20's knows no other QB but Brady, no other coach but Belicheat. But older adults like some members of my family I won't call out weren't the least bit interested in the Pats in the 90s.

I have to hand it to my paternal grandfather, who was an enthusiastic fan. He made fun of them some times and joked about how terrible they were. But he tuned in to every game, cheered for them to win and was back next week when they didn't. I'm glad I got to take him to a game at Foxboro. They were terrible in the early 90s, but like me with the Bengals in the Lost Decade, he soldiered on. I can't even remember how the game we saw turned out, but we had fun, though he agreed the game was easier to follow on TV.

My other grandfather was also a fan; he played semi-pro ball for the South Providence Huskies back when leather helmets where a thing, so he was a lifelong fan too. Though he was more catholic in his tastes (I think for his love for the game as a player), and would watch other teams as well.

FUN EXERCISE: Ask someone in a Brady jersey to name the QB before Brady, and any QB from the 90s or earlier.

(historical note: The Bengals "Lost Decade" was 13 years, not a decade)

Member good ole turkey neck?

1 hour ago, pbd said:

Member good ole turkey neck?

No, I'm not a Pats fan, even if I can com with with Tony Eason, Steve Grogran, and that little dude from BC on the cereal box whose name escapes me at the moment without googling "Patriots quarterback who aren't Tom Brady."

Just now, B.J. Porter said:

No, I'm not a Pats fan, even if I can com with with Tony Eason, Steve Grogran, and that little dude from BC on the cereal box whose name escapes me at the moment without googling "Patriots quarterback who aren't Tom Brady."

Doug Flutie. That was his name.

image.png.d503f5ec3aac594e17c5b4d5a7c20c2c.png

Niners stinking it up tonight. Uff da.

19 hours ago, Tax Man said:

Don't get me started on Broncos fans....  They were the only game in town when I moved here and OMG those people are freaks.  Screaming hill monkeys is correct...  South stands were insane back in the day(Wifie inherited season tix).  They do this stupid IN COM PLETE chant every time the other team misses a pass.  Love going in there with my Urlacher Jersey and beating them every 4 yrs...  Hate the donkeys...  

Life with Phillip.    This is a good one.   Best I can tell he went down untouched & gave a lil wave as he got torched.

So, how bout dem Saints?  Dat Brady guy be saying Who Dat?  It was billed as a shootout, it was just a massacre.

Good times.

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

So, how bout dem Saints?  Dat Brady guy be saying Who Dat?  It was billed as a shootout, it was just a massacre.

Good times.

Seeing Brady getting sacked three times in a row and held to a field goal, and ND's win....  great weekend for football.

Guess my questions is, how hard did he get bitch slapped by his wife after the game.. 

image.png.91e7b295e2647d9931b994d729e5751b.png

• Like 1

Friggin Jacksonville is responsible for all of Houston's wins this year.  Bastards are screwing up the Dolphins' draft, dammit. 

Tua and 0. 

Thought the Pete Carroll interview was special - we had a plan for them if they ran the ball, but they didn't do that.

If only the Germans had attacked the Maginot line.

The sucking Jets almost ruined their perfect season?!? Against the Patriots :blink: It is truly pathetic that the first time the Patriots are bad in probably two decades and the AFC East might be up for grabs the Jets are the worst team in the NFL. I'm starting to feel like a Lions fan.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 1:02 PM, Tax Man said:

Thought the Pete Carroll interview was special - we had a plan for them if they ran the ball, but they didn't do that.

If only the Germans had attacked the Maginot line.

My take on that game is a bit more in depth. 

Pete is a defensive coach and pretty good at it. Most any DC is running Pete's D. The problem is Pete is HC. Ken Norton Jr. sucked as Raiders DC and he sucks as Seahawks DC.

When the opponent switches gears, Norton is baffled. Pete has to step in, but he is still trying to be HC. So, nothing happens quickly. Norton needs to go bye bye at the end of the season and I would be ecstatic to see Dan Quinn back in the house. 

On the Offensive side of the ball, defenses have figured out how to stymie Russ by throwing different pre-snap looks and then not doing any of them. Fortunately there are only a few DC's that can game plan that way. Russ is smart and will start tucking it and running more, I think. Home run throws to Metcalf and Lockette are awesome, but only if he has time to throw them. RPO should keep the safeties honest and the blitzers wondering where he went.

Still, sitting at the midpoint of the season at 6-2 and leading out division. Not a bad spot to be. 

Go Hawks!!

WL

Meanwhile, the 5-3 Bears are underdogs against the 3-5 Vikings for the Monday night game. 

• Like 1

Rivers shows up & Colts win.    Typical Charger-like weirdness.   Blow the easy ones then take out a contender.   

Colt’s fan seen enuf?    Haha.   The Big Guy still got some bullets left.

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Oh, the huge  manatee...

untitled.jpg

Kind of wish my boys were there instead of the AFC North at the moment.

Obviously the Fucking Sucking chargers

Brought all that with thrm to LA + the road

FUCK EM ...

Go JETs

FUCK those Sucking ............... ?? forgot their name

On 10/20/2020 at 5:03 AM, Jules said:

The Cowboys might want to call the Packers for some misery loves company time.  Dallas had a very similar experience at the hands of the Cardinals but this time they gave up 3 interceptions, all resulting in touchdowns for the Cards.  Final score was the same as the Bucs-Pack - Cards 38, Dallas 10.

Dallas needs to stop claiming to be America's Team until they start winning more.

About the Cards, I heard an astonishing stat on the radio yesterday ...

Larry Fitzgerald is so far beyond the rest of the NHL in handling the ball, and likely the history of the NFL, that there isn't even a contest ...Fitzgerald has ten more tackles than dropped passes, 39 vs. 29. He's never played one snap on defense, so all of those tackles came on the offense, with a lifetime tally of dropped passes at still less than 30. And that's with over 17,000 receiving yards and over 1,350 receptions.

I guess because he doesn't play for a high-market team, he doesn't get mentioned, but sweet smoking Mary, he's only 36, easily a hall-of-famer, and on track to be the best wide receiver in the history of the game, hands apparently made of black holes that capture time and space.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2020 at 2:19 PM, B.J. Porter said:

And he’s still getting payed.

On 11/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, White Lightning2 said:

My take on that game is a bit more in depth. 

Pete is a defensive coach and pretty good at it. Most any DC is running Pete's D. The problem is Pete is HC. Ken Norton Jr. sucked as Raiders DC and he sucks as Seahawks DC.

When the opponent switches gears, Norton is baffled. Pete has to step in, but he is still trying to be HC. So, nothing happens quickly. Norton needs to go bye bye at the end of the season and I would be ecstatic to see Dan Quinn back in the house. 

On the Offensive side of the ball, defenses have figured out how to stymie Russ by throwing different pre-snap looks and then not doing any of them. Fortunately there are only a few DC's that can game plan that way. Russ is smart and will start tucking it and running more, I think. Home run throws to Metcalf and Lockette are awesome, but only if he has time to throw them. RPO should keep the safeties honest and the blitzers wondering where he went.

Still, sitting at the midpoint of the season at 6-2 and leading out division. Not a bad spot to be. 

Go Hawks!!

WL

Kind of makes me wonder what would happen if the defensive players made it up as they went.  My ex Rose Bowl BIL seems to be going that way with his arm chair defensive coaching hindsight.  

48 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

woo hoo...   Boys in the hunt for division lead,  with the eagles playing like crap, we could make the playoffs...

I am ready to amend my prediction - 

Eagles win the division with a 5-10-1 record.

17 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

When you get to pick first overall and select a franchise quarterback, bench him for two years and keep sucking so you can get him some protection.  Bad QB wasn't the only reason you lost almost every week.

Dammit Houston.  How could you let the Patriots tank and screw up the Dolphins' use of your first two picks in the next draft?  SMH. 

49 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Dammit Houston.  How could you let the Patriots tank and screw up the Dolphins' use of your first two picks in the next draft?  SMH. 

no id. went sailing, absolutely perfect day on the bay.  The KC/Raiders game was awesome entertainment.  It does seems like Houston and Dallas are in a race for being just good enough to keep folks watching.

2 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

no id. went sailing, absolutely perfect day on the bay.  The KC/Raiders game was awesome entertainment.  It does seems like Houston and Dallas are in a race for being just good enough to keep folks watching.

As long as Houston doesn't do well enough to fall beyond the third pick in the draft I'll be happy. The J-E-T-S and Jags will get the first and second picks, and both will take a QB, leaving the Dolphins to grab what I suspect will be a big, brutal franchise RB with the third pick, courtesy of Houston. 

31 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

hey, the boys actually played a decent game this year...   and dalton looked kind of sharp  personally I'd like to trade Zeke and Dak and take some of the new kids coming out

4 hours ago, Tax Man said:
22 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

When you get to pick first overall and select a franchise quarterback, bench him for two years and keep sucking so you can get him some protection.  Bad QB wasn't the only reason you lost almost every week.

It's always been coaching and management. Always.

Andy Dalton was solid, and Burrow is a future legend if he comes back from this injury and stays well.

But you can't overcome stupid play calling an unwillingness to pay for talent (coaching and players), an inability to see a lack of talent, or any other other million stupid things Mike Brown has done or allowed to be done to the team. He's a blight on his father's legendary name in football, and you can trace the demise of this team straight back to the day Paul Brown died and moron Mike took over.

With revenue sharing, he's going to get a big fat check from the league no matter how hard the team sucks.

I'm really trying not to brag, but I can't help myself - the Bears were the only team in their division NOT to lose a game this past weekend.  Take that Rogers!

Rams destroyed Tampa Bay. Aaron Donald should be in the conversation for MVP. The battle for first place in the NFC is going to be all that is was touted to be. 

Seahawks get a bit of a break going forward as we play 4 East Coast teams that are struggling. Eagles, Giants, Jets, Washington. Then the Rams will potentially determine the NFC West winner. With a final game against Arizona. Arizona is not out of the conversation, but has some ground to make up. 

Rams play 49ers, Cardinals, Patriots, Jets, Seahawks, and Cardinals to finish off. 

Seahawks definitely have the easier schedule. But getting this defense to step up and play consistently is no easy task. Worst Defense in league history. Which is stunning given the talent they have. I don't see Ken Norton keeping his job as DC at the end of the year.

WL

22 hours ago, Jules said:

I'm really trying not to brag, but I can't help myself - the Bears were the only team in their division NOT to lose a game this past weekend.  Take that Rogers!

Psst it’s Rodgers. And yes, any time GB loses it is a good day.

3 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Psst it’s Rodgers. And yes, any time GB loses it is a good day.

Until he plays for the Bears, I can spell it any way I want.  :P

In the latest standings, under the column "Streak", every team in the NFC North has an "L" in that column.  The only difference between the Bears and the other teams is the number that follows.  The other three have "L1" while the Bears have "L4".  That move to Foles hasn't panned out too well.

JET's SUCK beyond what 0-10 normally would reflect

Steelers-Ravens postponed from tomorrow night to Sunday.  Only 2 football games now on Thanksgiving! see what happens when you elect a Democrat!!!

8 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Steelers-Ravens postponed from tomorrow night to Sunday.

I hope they both lose.

Meanwhile, radiologists continue to probe Joe Burrow's knee looking for something that didn't get destroyed.

1 minute ago, B.J. Porter said:

I hope they both lose.

Meanwhile, radiologists continue to probe Joe Burrow's knee looking for something that didn't get destroyed.

If it is that badly damaged he will be out until 2022. Not beyond the realm of possibility that his career is over.

41 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:
44 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

I hope they both lose.

If it is that badly damaged he will be out until 2022. Not beyond the realm of possibility that his career is over.

Estimates are up to a year. So maybe well into next season if at all.

Today, we learned Bengals QB Joe Burrow suffered a torn ACL, MCL, and other structural damage to his left knee during Sunday’s loss at Washington.

While not a catastrophic injury to the degree that Washington QB Alex Smith suffered in 2018, which took him two full years to recover from, it’s still going to be a long recovery process for Burrow, as his injury takes around 9-12 months to recover from.

That would put his status for the 2021 season in serious jeopardy since we’re already almost into December

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/11/23/21611434/joe-burrow-recovery-timeline-acl-mcl-tear-injury-bengals-news

6 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

As you said—- looking for what didn’t get destroyed

4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Steelers-Ravens postponed from tomorrow night to Sunday.  Only 2 football games now on Thanksgiving! see what happens when you elect a Democrat!!!

except the problem is,  there's currently a republican president and senate...

4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Which doesn't obviate the fact that fuck the Steelers.

16 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Which doesn't obviate the fact that fuck the Steelers.

Well, that goes without saying.

9 hours ago, jerseyguy said:
10 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I remember when Gale Sayers blew his knee out.  He was never the same.  Hopefully Burrow will fare better, and since he's not a running back, maybe any permanent damage won't affect his play too much.

All the Iggles need to do to take back first place in the NFC (L)East is beat the Seahawks on Monday night.

25 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

All the Iggles need to do to take back first place in the NFC (L)East is beat the Seahawks on Monday night.

Bite your tongue!! :)

i thought you guys were playing for draft picks at this point! 

WL

18 hours ago, Jules said:

I remember when Gale Sayers blew his knee out.  He was never the same.  Hopefully Burrow will fare better, and since he's not a running back, maybe any permanent damage won't affect his play too much.

Eric Dickerson will always tell people that, after a season in NFL , most RB’s are rarely at more than 60% healthy on Sundays.  

Nowadays with 6’4/225# corners that do 4.4/4.5’s I’d think that’s probably being adjusted down a tad.  

Wentz needn't feel any jealously toward Foles.  Foles is on a 4-game losing streak.

As a starter, Foles is 2-5 this season. 

There's still 6 games left, 2 against the Packers.  We'll be lucky if they finish .500

On 11/26/2020 at 5:29 AM, Jules said:

I think surgery and rehab for this sort of injury has gotten better in the 50 years since Gale Sayers blew out his knee. 

I sort of feel sorry for Andy Dalton - decent QB and now playing for another suck team. Of course he is still making bucketloads of money, but still not enough to have to answer to Jerry Jones.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:16 AM, d'ranger said:

I sort of feel sorry for Andy Dalton - decent QB and now playing for another suck team. Of course he is still making bucketloads of money, but still not enough to have to answer to Jerry Jones.

bucketloads of money on a suck team = short season, less pounding, ya can fuck off during a game and no big deal

not everyone can be a highly paid charger

• Like 1

Denver has zero eligible QB’s due to COVID.  But fear not it’s TEBOW time!  Actually he probably doesn’t want to play behind that shitty OL.  Maybe they’ll turn to Kapernick.

3 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Denver has zero eligible QB’s due to COVID.  But fear not it’s TEBOW time!  Actually he probably doesn’t want to play behind that shitty OL.  Maybe they’ll turn to Kapernick.

Found one at Manpower.  The next Wally Pipp!

26 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

uh, no - Covid-19  Bronco QB-0     not enough time to clear quarantine.     "Has anyone here ever thrown a pass?" overheard at practice. 

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

uh, no - Covid-19  Bronco QB-0     not enough time to clear quarantine.     "Has anyone here ever thrown a pass?" overheard at practice. 

Wishbone anyone?

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 10:33 AM, Fakenews said:

Denver has zero eligible QB’s due to COVID. 

How did they all get COVID?  It's another COVID mystery!

Bet the Bears "awesome" defense wished COVID got them before last night's game.  The Pack scored at will.

The 

5 hours ago, Jules said:

How did they all get COVID?  It's another COVID mystery!

Bet the Bears "awesome" defense wished COVID got them before last night's game.  The Pack scored at will.

The 3 quarterbacks for the Denver did not have COVID! 
The 4th backup tested positive, but does not mean he is sick.

On 11/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, Cal20sailor said:

This is pretty damn funny.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2020/11/29/denver-broncos-quarterback-assistant-coach-rob-calabrese/6455851002/

NFL denies Broncos' request to start offensive assistant Rob Calabrese at QB, per report

They shoulda tried the Waterboy 

December 2, 1985:  On this day 35 years ago, the Miami Dolphins defeated the Chicago Bears 38-24 on Monday Night Football. Pictured below quarterbacks Dan Marino and Jim McMahon exchange words after the game. The Bears entered the game with a 12-0 record and the NFL's best defense. But they were no match for Dan Marino, who threw for 270 yards and 3 touchdown passes. The Dolphins stormed to a 31-10 halftime lead and never looked back. McMahon did not start the game and wasn't expected to play due to an injury. But when his replacement Steve Fuller was ineffective and was injured in the 3rd quarter, McMahon was pressed into action. Walter Payton would set a then NFL record with his 8th consecutive 100-yard rushing game. It would be Chicago's only loss during its only Super Bowl championship season. The broadcast had the highest television rating for a regular season game.

8D4DC7FF-8E69-45BF-95A5-E5C1F512AE5C.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

December 2, 1985:  On this day 35 years ago, the Miami Dolphins defeated the Chicago Bears 38-24 on Monday Night Football. Pictured below quarterbacks Dan Marino and Jim McMahon exchange words after the game. The Bears entered the game with a 12-0 record and the NFL's best defense. But they were no match for Dan Marino, who threw for 270 yards and 3 touchdown passes. The Dolphins stormed to a 31-10 halftime lead and never looked back. McMahon did not start the game and wasn't expected to play due to an injury. But when his replacement Steve Fuller was ineffective and was injured in the 3rd quarter, McMahon was pressed into action. Walter Payton would set a then NFL record with his 8th consecutive 100-yard rushing game. It would be Chicago's only loss during its only Super Bowl championship season. The broadcast had the highest television rating for a regular season game.

8D4DC7FF-8E69-45BF-95A5-E5C1F512AE5C.jpeg

building on that loss Mc M went on to be a charger

Ya chargers got this season in the bag, as they celebrate individual performances .....
except for the (Yet another) QB they dumped who is forging his way to The BIG SuperBowl Dance

image.thumb.png.c995b9eff5dd5fb8abef956efb98ff9a.png

1 hour ago, DA-WOODY said:
Ya chargers got this season in the bag, as they celebrate individual performances .....
except for the (Yet another) QB they dumped who is forging his way to The BIG SuperBowl Dance

image.thumb.png.c995b9eff5dd5fb8abef956efb98ff9a.png

Put the crack pipe down.   Phillip ?   Haha...

4 hours ago, sledracr said:

WTF, Seahawks?!?!

That was an embarrassment that defies description. Double digit favorites. Playing at home. Against an opponent that you should have been able to walk right thru. 

Wilson suffers from paralysis from analysis. When defenses do a delayed blitz he freezes. Looking downfield for the big play and all of a sudden they are in his face. The O-line did ok against NY but Russ choked. 4 huge sacks from holding onto the ball to long. Too afraid to throw another jump ball and have it get picked. 

You've got D.K. Freaking Metcalf!! Let him go up and get the damn ball.

Defense did ok and is coming together nicely. But Russ better get his shit sorted or we are going to be looking at no post season at all.

WL

7 hours ago, sledracr said:

WTF, Seahawks?!?!

Is Russ's wife another Yoko Ono?

The Bills looked pretty impressive tonight.

WTF, WFT?

"The victory was Washington’s first against the Steelers since Nov. 17, 1991 and, according to NFL Research, marked the first time a team with a record as poor as Washington’s coming in (4-7) defeated a team that was 11-0 or better."

9 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

If you missed the Ravens/Browns game, you missed a good one.

More runnin than gunnin and good to the last play.