Sign in to follow this  
wannabefd

River racing

This cool video showed up in my Facebook feed.

What a fun concept

• Like 4

"Concept" is an interesting word.

You sail on the waters you have. Ours is a river about half the width of that one.

40 boats on a good weekend. An equal mixture of large fast cats, fast gennaker boats, sports (and older style) trailerable yachts and fast monos; each in their own division. Lasers and anything smaller could barely stem the tide. The emphasis is on 'fast' for a reason.

But on a good day, with a nice wind blowing the length of the river, the excitement would exceed anything you'd get on open waters. 

Our six one design twin wire gennaker skiffs (about the same specifications as a 49FX plus add a 49FX itself) might put in 10 to 15 gybes on each downwind leg of the course and there'd be five laps (count the total gybes). When the fleet is bunched, the intensity of the gybing and tacking duels is intense. Crew work, crew strength and endurance, tactics and just plain boat common sense all have to be raised to a high pitch.

Mind you, the rock walls can be scary in a blow and if the wind happens to be blowing straight cross the river, it's s##t.

But if you wanted truly exciting TV viewing for Olympics, recreating that sort of intensity would be the way to do it - a windward return course with continuous obstructions 200 meters apart and let the 49er's loose on it. The boats would be crossing every few seconds and nothing would stay static.

A typical afternoon...

50063359_273888563277595_8480991032845008896_o.jpg

• Like 1

And those dredded rock walls.

No, not the one you can see; the one just under the water where the water changes colour

73423449_2565434510243252_155028304838000640_o.jpg

• Like 1

Look at the video on our home page,  https://www.horning-sailing.club/index.php imagine up 150 boats , from optimists through to 40ft broads sailing cruisers all on the water  that's 1.5 miles , getting narrower as you go up river.

Here's a video compilation  of some of our events

And how's this for tight waters our 3 Rivers Race 2013 I'm in there somewhere.. 

• Like 1

Good race, what is that single handed with X on the sail, looks interesting 

6 minutes ago, Tink said:

Extra
The Extra is a one person, two sail dinghy - length 12'. Its relatively large sail area and low hull weight gives it good performance.
See the source image

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Tink said:

As mentioned above, it is an Extra, designed as a limited development class about 50 years ago it has probably almost reached the limit of development as far as the underwater hull shape is concerned as there are 4 measurement stations controlling basically the gunnel width, chine width and chine and gunnel heights relative to the keelson, as well as 5 or 6 rocker measurements.

Hulls are vacuum bagged cored polyester, carbon and Kevlar are not allowed, all built with woven and stitched glass and 5mm core hull and decks and 8mm double bottom.

Hull weigh is 55 kg incl all fittings and centreboard and there is a relatively generous 8.5m2 total sail area.

She planes upwind in flat water but becomes quite a handful in a breeze and big chop due to the volume foreword enforced by measurement stations and her relatively short overall length of 3.68m .

It is a rocket downwind in 15 to 25 knots if you can keep the bow from stuffing into the wave in front of you. Sailed them for 25 years, awesome boats.

• Like 4

We sail on a similar river, marshes both sides until the river meets the coast then it runs behind the spit for about 7-8 miles. Upper reaches dry out at low tide but where the club is you can launch at any time. Was concerned when I joined that the IC would be a problem but actually works fine, a bit of a problem with all the moored boats in the summer but its only part of the river... we have regular races "around the island" down to almost the mouth where the river splits around Halvergate Island, I think its about 15 miles round trip

AYC.PNG

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Harnser said:

We sail on a similar river, marshes both sides until the river meets the coast then it runs behind the spit for about 7-8 miles. Upper reaches dry out at low tide but where the club is you can launch at any time. Was concerned when I joined that the IC would be a problem but actually works fine, a bit of a problem with all the moored boats in the summer but its only part of the river... we have regular races "around the island" down to almost the mouth where the river splits around Halvergate Island, I think its about 15 miles round trip

AYC.PNG

That you Mr W?

Nothing like trying to get round Elbow on the ebb with a spring tide.  Especially with another class coming the other way, in a Dragon...

I learnt to sail  on a river but nothing like the one above .Warwick sailing club on the river Avon . Very very narrow , the river above is probably 10X as wide lol . 

Great video, excellent editing. So much better than the usual drone footage. Someone's really good.

This the river I learnt to sail in the 60’s. Yorkshire Ouse Sailing Club. 

Think I am crewing in the National 12 with number ending 3 hidden behind N2111.

My Father is stood behind his black and white Enterprise on the Bank, waiting to launch for their start. 

Enterprise on left of picture is tied up to the near bank in front of Clubhouse that picture taken fromA8EF23E9-98FC-4623-9122-42A1E452380E.jpeg.d3fefc78bd287b8794a395d874aa249a.jpeg

6E92D879-614E-412C-9418-E7C0F096476C.jpeg

I remember the days of big enterprise fleets in club racing,  there appears to still be a fleet at YOSC we've just got the odd one left at Horning.  I've come across this picture of your racing in the 1950s..interesting driving... 

Sail2624_001.jpg.gallery.jpg