PabloFoil

Feedback - VIRTUAL REGATTA, shit rules

Recommended Posts

Have you ever played virtual regatta? The game is very good in terms of tactics and strategy. The rules are poor and only the most pirate wins, the algorithm could be much better.

 

I would like to know your opinion and experiences.

 

This is the LINK if you have never played it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i’m not a fan of it. it handles weird and i can’t put my finger on why. i’m already not great at games and something about the game mechanics just makes it worse. 

i’m about to start asking friends to join for private races on inshore. sure i suck at virtual regatta but i still gotta kill time & socialize somehow. plus it should be good for some laughs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i played for a little while but the rules are insanely unclear. the offshore version is really fun - i enjoyed that one a lot

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rules are a little wonky. Sometimes it's better to tack "through" a starboard boat and take the penalty to capture the lift on the other tack. I was penalized pre-start when I was on starboard and a port boat rammed me. I had my view change on me randomly twice today during critical moment, and the first time my boat magically instantly tacked on top of another boat with no input from me... I was clear ahead on port, suddenly I'm teleported onto starboard right on top of his boat and I get a penalty. And I do mean, teleported.

Oh, and the difference between steering down one degree and steering down 30 and hitting the mark is about a millisecond of a button press.

All that said, I'm having fun! Our local J/24 fleet is going to start running private regattas (although, annoyingly, it looks like that costs real money).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dgmckim said:

i played for a little while but the rules are insanely unclear. the offshore version is really fun - i enjoyed that one a lot

Never played the inshore version, but i do like the offshore races.......... a good thing as it looks as if we're all about to have plenty of time on our hands. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to do an offshore race about once a year here - the SA getemout, it was called.  Get 20-30 SA members all in the same race.  We'd get crushed by the pros, but it was amusing.  Think it died off about 5-10 years ago when VR changed their scheme - they used to always have one free race and the rest were cost, then moved to paying for everything.

We did a SA Volvo Offshore through them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BrianM v2 said:

We used to do an offshore race about once a year here - the SA getemout, it was called.  Get 20-30 SA members all in the same race.  We'd get crushed by the pros, but it was amusing.  Think it died off about 5-10 years ago when VR changed their scheme - they used to always have one free race and the rest were cost, then moved to paying for everything.

We did a SA Volvo Offshore through them.

I still do them, but I refuse to start paying for add-ons..... though the 5 day forecast and polars they’re giving for free does make it a bit easier. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 8:28 AM, lurkharder said:

i’m not a fan of it. it handles weird and i can’t put my finger on why. i’m already not great at games and something about the game mechanics just makes it worse. 

i’m about to start asking friends to join for private races on inshore. sure i suck at virtual regatta but i still gotta kill time & socialize somehow. plus it should be good for some laughs.

I usually do the same! Currently I only play when I go racing with friends and and earlier to train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 12:54 AM, dgmckim said:

i played for a little while but the rules are insanely unclear. the offshore version is really fun - i enjoyed that one a lot

A friend has the pro version and he can see in real time the rule to be penalized. But still the game keeps doing weird things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 3:35 AM, J24TrickBag said:

Rules are a little wonky. Sometimes it's better to tack "through" a starboard boat and take the penalty to capture the lift on the other tack. I was penalized pre-start when I was on starboard and a port boat rammed me. I had my view change on me randomly twice today during critical moment, and the first time my boat magically instantly tacked on top of another boat with no input from me... I was clear ahead on port, suddenly I'm teleported onto starboard right on top of his boat and I get a penalty. And I do mean, teleported.

Oh, and the difference between steering down one degree and steering down 30 and hitting the mark is about a millisecond of a button press.

All that said, I'm having fun! Our local J/24 fleet is going to start running private regattas (although, annoyingly, it looks like that costs real money).

It is true. The main problem of the game is the boarding and priority situations, they are not at all like real life situations. Sometimes the game gets a little crazy.

 

In my club, we have organized an online regatta for all sailors with medal races and qualifiers. The races were every afternoon for a weekend and the results were published on the "normal" regattas ONB.

The RFEV is launching a championship for the Olympic, pre-Olympic and youth sailors of the PNTD, in which sailors from all over Spain will participate. They will communicate through Discord and SailRanks.

 

Here it is an example of the e-sailing championship ONB.

http://regatas.rcngc.com/es/default/races/race-results/text/i-trofeo-virtual-yomequedoencasa-es/menuaction/race

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up on the offshore version, it was frustratingly too much like "real" yacht racing, those who were prepared to pay extra $'s for a faster hull finish or more sails would have an advantage no others could match. As in real life, the organisers incentive to monetise the event made it crap for all but the top level of spenders/ participants. 

The inshore is fun with a few mates whilst you're all on a zoom call at the same time over some beers, but only for 10 minutes or so before it wears a bit thin. The winner is typically the one who paid for the auto start / auto vmg / and wind visibility. Pretty hard to be luckier than the guy who can see the future... No other way to get our fix at the moment so must be pretty busy on their servers. In a large fleet it seems to pay to show no regard for any rules, and take the favoured end of start line/ lay line, regardless of how many boats are already there. You only seem to be able to pick up one penalty at once so go hard, get ahead, then its easy. 

Majorly frustrating though when there's a connection glitch and mid race you time out / retire from the race. The steering is also v frustrating as above. It must be an interesting measure of how many hard core committed sailors there actually are, as really, if you weren't a sailing nut there's no way you'd play that game vs what else is available these days.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nodrog said:

Majorly frustrating though when there's a connection glitch and mid race you time out / retire from the race. The steering is also v frustrating as above. It must be an interesting measure of how many hard core committed sailors there actually are, as really, if you weren't a sailing nut there's no way you'd play that game vs what else is available these days.... 

It’s the worst when you spend rare green coins on bonuses like auto vmg, disconnect, and then don’t get the coin back. Also there are bizarre auto tack things that happen that are super annoying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this time we're having club regattas, as we can't do the real thing. We have a series of 6 races in an evening. We even have a proper "Notice Of Race" to stick to. Our next series is at 7:30 tonight, looking forward to the dodgems to start!

Agree about the dodgy steering & strange rules but it is what it is & free fun for an hour or so.

Hopefully the results will be posted on our club website & ther'll be a prize for the overall winner at our laying-up supper next winter.

NOR.jpg.765dca0ee9878a7ef1ce270084a2d8a1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for me, get completely disoriented and lose where the marks are. Better spending time on fitness to improve sailing, DIY so you can sail more when it’s over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 3:34 AM, PabloFoil said:

Have you ever played virtual regatta? The game is very good in terms of tactics and strategy. The rules are poor and only the most pirate wins, the algorithm could be much better.

 

I would like to know your opinion and experiences.

 

This is the LINK if you have never played it.

0/10 for playing on the public servers.

For reasons all outside the actual sailing part of the simulation.

1-The rules are just plain wrong far too much, I can't count the number of port-starboard's where I am clear on starboard and sailing a true course and someone hits me on port. The number of times when as the leeward boat I luff into a boat above me and there is a collision and the game gives me the penalty is just laughable. Or the number of rule 16's which I have been called for when I don't change course and was sailing straight there was a collision I was in the right and then I get the foul.

2-The players, are just scum to sail against. The vast majority of people will put themselves in a far worse position just to get ahead of you, if you are the boat ahead of you. You'll be in first or second and the boat behind will do everything to overtake you like try to get penalties on you and blanket your wind, whilst another crowd of boats sails through the finish before both of you. Leaving you both with shitty results. People are real scummy when you don't have to see them back at the yacht club after.

3-The game isn't free. You pay with your soul. The game works on the same model of all panned video games, which is modeled after and by the people who make slot machines. You can either PAY TO WIN (well pay for advantages), or you can play the game a tonne to get tokens from loot boxes. I and millions others subscribe to the school of thought that these games should be illegal. Notice how you don't just receive tokens for doing well? You have to get crates which flash and sparkle when you click on them JUST LIKE A SLOT MACHINE goes off every time you spin the fucking wheels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtransaction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_box

Currently most countries in the world are looking at making this stuff illegal.

4-Same races same boats, the public games are basically just the same thing over and over, the same 3 boats, the same single course.

5-Broken game mechanics, now I can't tell if these are actually intentional or not, because they favor a couple of the purchasable advantages. I've been sailing in clear air and had the wind direction change 20 degrees, 10 times in 10 seconds... 

 

8/10 if you want to sail with your yacht club friends during a pandemic while the yacht club gates are locked.

It's cool to virtually sail with 20 friends who aren't pieces of shit for a fun laugh, as a substitute for watching TV when you can't sail normally. It's super easy, it's "free", you can host your own servers.

 

Spend your time off doing better things if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My account isn't paid but I have an odd glitch where I can always get the 4 green coins I need to get all the assists. :D
Does make it a bit more "even" for me in the public races. But it is very nearly a different "game" than actual sailing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep going between liking this game and wanting to throw my computer out a window. The competition is fun but how are the rules so bad??? I was sailing online long before COVID-19 turned everyone into a niche gamer overnight. Virtual Skipper 15 years ago had a better rules engine than this. Hell, those wireframe Posey simulators from the 90s had a better rules engine than this. Having a machine handle course change rules is tricky so I'll forgive them somewhat for that, but on what planet is a port/starboard at a leeward mark a foul on the inside, overlapped port tacker?? That's not a buggy implementation, it's flat out wrong! I can't believe World Sailing sponsors this thing (or maybe I can). It's like playing a basketball game where it's legal to just deck a player taking a shot. Did that one kid in junior sailing who protested people over the Port Windward Rudder Rule program this game?

Once they fix the just-plain-wrong rules, I think they need to add a collision mechanic. That would discourage a lot of the exploitative behavior, where people take advantage of the game's definitions of "time and opportunity," which is apparently "sufficient warning for a person with the reflexes of a space shuttle commander."

I enjoy the races I manage to sail cleanly (I once had a great downwind duel in Stars with a player where either of us could have easily drawn a foul if we wanted to but we didn't), but God help you if fall into the fleet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now