Sign in to follow this  
Santana20AE

Pearson 33-2

Did a search, did not turn up much

Anyone have any ideas on this boat wth a deep keel?

May be the last watercraft we ever purchase

My best friend owns one. I have raced beercans onboard and done a ton of buddy boat cruising from our boat (cal 34) with them alongside on the water and at anchor. It's an alright boat. Sails pretty good. Big main, kinda short j dimension. Very shallow bilge, so water on sole is an issue. The interior is ok, but the table takes up a lot of room, so the v berth is kinda small. They are not big people, so that's ok for them. 

Let me know if you have any specific questions.  If I dont know, I can ask him

• Like 1

there's one at my YC....he draws (IIRC) 6 ft.  he and his family LOVE it....family of 4 (2 young girls)  very pretty boat...

• Like 1

I owned the same era but 4’ smaller Pearson 28-2 for a long time.  For some reason Pearson called a 28.5’ boat a 28-2, but a 32.5’ boat a 33-2. 

Good boat, sailed nicely. Underpowered but so are most boats like it.  Pointed pretty well with good sails, easy to manage sailplan with a reasonable J.  Mine had the deeper keel, which was still quite shallow. 

My boat was both well designed and made. Almost everything was easy to access and remove for servicing — all tanks, wiring, hoses, deck hardware. Good engine access. Lots of stock factory features like a Webasto furnace, water heater (which I removed), shower pan and pump in the head.  Everything on the boat was from stable companies so things like port windows are readily available if you need to replace one. 

Factory winches were undersized (as is common). I upgraded from Lewmar 30s to 40s. You can check the sail plan against Lewmar and Harken specs to see if this is the same on the 33-2. 

My boat (and I think the 33-2 is similar) was designed for the quarter berth to be the owners cabin and the V berth for kids. This worked for some people and not others, the quarter berth was a lot bigger but had little vertical clearance for the person on centerline.  

Aft head is great for keeping wet foulies from being dragged all over the boat. 

If my boat had a 6’ taller mast, 1’ deeper keel and a little more waterline I’d have kept it. Alas it was a cruiser more than a racer and so I moved on. 

• Like 1

Depends on how you intend to use it.  Weighs the same as a J/109, with about 140 sq ft less sail area.  So not particularly fast.  Rates around 150 PHRF.  That's about the same rating as a 1974 C&C 33...

That said, it's a nice looking boat for weekending, and short duration cruising.  The main salon settees are "pushed" back against the hull sides, so you get lots of room in the salon, at the expense of storage capacity.  Same can be said for forward and aft cabins.  Spacey feeling, but short on storage.  For weekend cruises, no biggie.  For longer goes, might be an issue.

I cruised for a summer on mine around WA and BC.  There is storage under the settees and in the above head lockers and under the V berth.  I converted the hanging locker to shelves for clothing. I carried a reasonable set of sails (2 jibs, 2 kites), about two weeks of food for two, a folding bike, too many tools, spares, and electronics and many books. 

It felt like a lot of storage.  33-2 storage sounds similar from the catalog. The two boats were designed at the same time and have a lot in common. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alex W said:

I cruised for a summer on mine around WA and BC.  There is storage under the settees and in the above head lockers and under the V berth.  I converted the hanging locker to shelves for clothing. I carried a reasonable set of sails (2 jibs, 2 kites), about two weeks of food for two, a folding bike, too many tools, spares, and electronics and many books. 

It felt like a lot of storage.  33-2 storage sounds similar from the catalog. The two boats were designed at the same time and have a lot in common. 

Hard to beat first hand knowledge!

I don't know the 33-2, but I know the 34 from 1983-85 vintage.  If space is an issue I think the 34 is a touch bigger but with other tradeoffs.  There are a ton of 34s on the market, some have been well maintained / repowered, and might be worth a look.  I know there is one listed in the classifieds here that is as mint as a 1983 boat can be.  PM me if interested.

There is a Pearson's users group there is some good info there.  I looked at one liked the lines and the PHRF rating seems like it has a turn of speed.  There are good number of them up north not so many on the Chesapeake.  They are light balsa core above the water line not necessarily bad.  As other have said small v-berth.  They are well priced due to all of the above.  Looks like a good compromise boat was my thought.  The shallow draft sails to it number from what I have seen.

My wife and I cruised one for 8 years. 6' fin keel.  We loved that boat. Biggest downside was a ver shallow bilge with water frequently on the sole. Other than that, she sailed beautifully.  I did not race her so my comments are limited to cruising,  We didn't hesitate to spend 2-3 weeks aboard, frequent weekend trips and many long daysails.  Well built.  Can't recall a mechanical or construction issue.  Would still have her today if Lake Michigan did not go shallow (20 yrs ago) and I could not get her to her slip. Swapped her for a 1990 Pearson 34-2.  What a mistake!