Livia

New WLYDO Project - Gentlemen's Powerboat Cruiser

So as most are bit housebound right now it is the perfect time to have this project.

Seeing that sailboat racing has become a complete shit show and yacht clubs have lost the reason for their existence ie. boating, here is the brief.

Powerboat (lightweight diesel or 4 stroke outboard)

Length as a function of beam but must be either 2.5m or 2.9 m wide (legal trailing limits with 2.9m needing a permit and daylight tow only but ok)

Lifting points

12-14 knot cruise speed with WOT of say 16-18

Good range

Accomodation for extended cruising for two only

Decent shower/head

Excellent sun protection

Dry weight of up to 2.5 metric ton to allow average 4wd tow vehicle so light construction method probably strip plank/composite

As a retirement cruiser the idea is to be able to transport it to larger waterways on a trailer (but not be trailer launch) for extended trips

A Badnam launch is a start but too small while the Irens boats tend to be too large.

Both are are a good start.

Play through with suggestions

For anyone else who wants to know what a "Badnam launch" is...  25':

74047616gallery_wm.jpg.c237c5c1332fc726005ce40599246cbe.jpg

74047620gallery_wm.thumb.jpg.d462312f753b350e3e6f6d84b2385f4e.jpg

https://www.theyachtmarket.com/en/boat-for-sale/1519656/

Same length as this "Tolman Alaskan Skiff" I mentioned in another thread last month:

Tolman_AK2.jpg

Plywood/epoxy/fiberglass construction, 25.5' (he stretched a 24' design slightly), light weight, BEAUTIFUL!

The guy and his wife live north of Seattle and have taken the boat from there all the way to Sitka, Alaska, on the water, ~800+ miles each way as the crow flies.  They are towing it to Florida for the second time where they take it to the Bahamas.  When on the trailer, they use it like an RV.  Very impressive.

https://www.tolmanskiffs.com/
https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/jumbo/?fbclid=IwAR1MYX9a4r1Njn1wzm2tmf5mQIt-1ejNz3UWAq6-9q48I2fnjT_26GGRdOM
https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/tolman-skiff-jumbo
https://www.proboat.com/2014/09/renn-tolman-and-his-high-endurance-skiff/

If this is for extended cruising, is there a requirement for a dinghy?

If so, I would suggest adding right up front some means to quickly launch, retrieve and store a dinghy securely.  That requirement (if it is a requirement) should be added from the start, not with some ugly davits added on later that mess up the balance, transom access, etc.    

My interest in this is having looked at 'Great Loop' boats that would fall into the scope of this design.  

I liked this design from Bob.  obviously a bit more than can be towed by an SUV

but if you cut out sections 8-14,   removing the extra cabin,  that takes away 12 feet.  maybe shave some off the transom/sundeck,    make the sleep area a V berth  might be able to pick up a for more feet., and you had to skinny it up by a foot or so...

Carbon-Cr.-Layout-Large.png

I wish I had more information on this vessel because she looks like a good place to start.

E5E5BFC3-86B6-41C3-A344-F4AF5D6A341E.jpeg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

I wish I had more information on this vessel because she looks like a good place to start.

Kim,

That is sweet and bidding starts and only $1! 

Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 10.12.34 am

screen-shot-2018-03-28-at-10-12-45-am.png?w=1000&h=

screen-shot-2018-03-28-at-10-13-13-am.png?w=1000&h=

Oops not quite the same boat, but I'll keep looking... Sorry.

I think I have found the boat you are drooling over Kim. FEATHER.

image.png.0cf56eb007c220dbc3f11ad54d8d9ed1.png

p1180360.jpg?w=1200&h=

FEATHER

Now I don’t know much about Feather, I took the above photos while mooching about Milford Marina one afternoon. I’m pretty sure she is a lengthened Logan 33 replica, the in/outboard is another hint that she is a hybrid, so that would mean she is most likely glass & not a woody – BUT there is one feature that helps get her on ww………. now if you know Milford Marina  you’ll know that it is very tidal & the average owner built set-up for getting down & up to your boat would make the front cover of the  Health & Safety Journal. Not so with Feather, hers is a thing of beauty & its wood

• Like 1

Does anybody build old style skinny semi-displacement hulls anymore?

That would seem to be the place to start for this idea - near displacement fuel economy but quite a bit more speed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

That would seem to be the place to start for this idea - near displacement fuel economy but quite a bit more speed.

These were all the 1900-1940 type boats that did 10-12 knots on about 100 HP or less, right?

• Like 2

Bieker, of course. His design https://biekerboats.com/project/shearwater/

The boat carries a 60HP four-stroke outboard and weighs 2,250 lbs (1,021 kg) all up. It cruises comfortably without pounding at 16 knots, and more efficiently at 13 knots. Fuel consumption at 13 knots is just over 2g/h (7.6 liters/hr).  After a recent 690nm trip to Desolation Sound in Canada, consumption was 1.6gal/hr (6.1 liters/hr) or 6nm/gal (1.6nm/liter) at an overall average speed of 9.6 knots. There is a floodable ballast tank for better sea-keeping in higher sea states, easier docking and a more comfortable ride at anchor.  The cockpit is self-draining and water tight, and the transom is kept low for easy beach and water access. The cabin is a simple V-berth with lockers and a porta-potti. The boat can be easily trailered on a single axle trailer pulled by a six-cylinder vehicle.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Have you seen the Pogo motorboat? https://www.pogostructures.com/en/fiche-bateau/loxo-32/

I think it's pretty cool looking - they have an electric version too

passage-en-mer-RT-1920x1280.jpg

Am%C3%A9nagement-int%C3%A9rieur-Loxo-32.

• Like 5

My Tim Kernan designed 48 is very much like this, just a bit too large at 48’ and 22,000 pounds. But she is roomy, economical, quite comfortable and just perfect for a couple.

9C04B252-59B0-48F6-B2CC-956694D11E5A.jpeg

5118BD80-F7CD-43B7-8FC5-8EAAE681060C.jpeg

A34B3D30-E999-4092-A63D-364656F67312.jpeg

C0FDB445-32ED-4EB4-9ED2-F4CD70060AE0.jpeg

• Like 4

Shearwater: shearwater-01.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Bieker, of course. His design https://biekerboats.com/project/shearwater/

The boat carries a 60HP four-stroke outboard and weighs 2,250 lbs (1,021 kg) all up. It cruises comfortably without pounding at 16 knots, and more efficiently at 13 knots. Fuel consumption at 13 knots is just over 2g/h (7.6 liters/hr).  After a recent 690nm trip to Desolation Sound in Canada, consumption was 1.6gal/hr (6.1 liters/hr) or 6nm/gal (1.6nm/liter) at an overall average speed of 9.6 knots. There is a floodable ballast tank for better sea-keeping in higher sea states, easier docking and a more comfortable ride at anchor.  The cockpit is self-draining and water tight, and the transom is kept low for easy beach and water access. The cabin is a simple V-berth with lockers and a porta-potti. The boat can be easily trailered on a single axle trailer pulled by a six-cylinder vehicle.

Paul and Eric originally designed this larger version for me as I was exploring the whole idea. We even took the Shearwater out for a test run as part of the project. 

I was fortunate to find the Kernan even though she is larger than what I was seeking.

https://biekerboats.com/project/36ft-express-cruiser/

10 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

Another very interesting vessel!!

well, i really like their sailboats... and the wait list for some of them is years

but the base price for that 32ft motorboat is 105,000 Euro, which seems pretty low to me.., but i don't know much about motor boats

23 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

Paul and Eric originally designed this larger version for me as I was exploring the whole idea. We even took the Shearwater out for a test run as part of the project. 

I was fortunate to find the Kernan even though she is larger than what I was seeking.

It's interesting you guys were looking at a Inboard/Outboard drive setup.

4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

It's interesting you guys were looking at a Inboard/Outboard drive setup.

That and also outboards.

But since then I have sworn off I/O units. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Here is a recent project that I got involved with that might be a consideration.

image.thumb.png.53de0cdfe9d02a6ea90c413fb2f9dd48.png

More Please Rasp, More!

The POGO 32 is very intriguing, But the Admiral wants to be able to take the kids and grandkid(s?).  These boats and the OP's parameters won't meet 'her' minimum size requirements.  However,  I sure do like the concepts-- but as a 60+ year dedicated hater of mobo's, I can't reconcile the fuel burn, even at these very economical rates.  I want, but I'll never be able to accept the 'price' in fuel consumption.  Yes, I know a new suit of sails for a 35-45'er will buy a lot of fuel but the pathways in my brain seem irretrievably wired to favor sail over power.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

More Please Rasp, More!

This started as the Solar Sal 27 designed by Devlin down in Olympia.  He'll build you one Kim!  I like 'em, but I need a larger version...

46 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

Nice looking boat.  The difference between "lightship" and "fully loaded" is very interesting - twice as much!

• Displacement, Lightship: 1,711kg (3,764#)
  • Displacement, Fully Loaded (including ballast): 3,470kg (7,634#)

Trailerable with a big truck:

• Beam Overall: 2.6m (8.4’)

236ft-Express-Long-House-Cruiser-Arrgt-home.thumb.jpg.146da890c46342a94e43ada464519e35.jpg

36ft-Express-Long-House-Cruiser-Arrgt.jpg.9ddc5f9f5d321f3c15329f4a421982cd.jpg

Well that sure got your attention Kim. Started out as a 28' electric/solar plug in water taxi 6 pack boat for your neck of the woods. You probably saw the prototype at the Seattle Boat Show about a year ago as the SOLAR SAL. Then I was asked to scale up to 38' for a sensible cruiser hybrid that would be suitable for a leisurely Inside Passage cruise. I'll give you something off my desk if you can guess the local designer/builder.

SS28.thumb.jpg.9ddc2b96e1cc9981445b33084bcb3e86.jpgSS25.thumb.jpg.1907155836f3b45e784871ebdf81a874.jpgSS19.thumb.jpg.74ed8b3296733bff53f19d44ed80e906.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Veeger said:

This started as the Solar Sal 27 designed by Devlin down in Olympia.  He'll build you one Kim!  I like 'em, but I need a larger version...

I think your two posts were at odds with each other!

Just now, kimbottles said:

I think your two posts were at odds with each other!

THAT"S the CURSE!!!!

I am a confirmed sailor, but I have started to see the attraction of having both a sailboat and a motorboat.

4FB71A7D-2D87-4D0D-B520-28BF4BABE02D.jpeg

• Like 4

Not at odds but Veeger did spill the beans and you won't get the prize now Kim. Sam had the 27 pretty much built but wanted a 3d model and renders for the show and after the show response I scaled that up and fit it out in the 3D model as a 38' cruiser. 

I have always admired Sam's work both as a pragmatic designer and he can roll up his sleeves and build it just as pragmatically. I will have to add him to my itinerary when I next visit you and Bob! SS21.thumb.jpg.778b1f6f14eb82c718662e3dbaef7518.jpg

7 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

I am a confirmed sailor, but I have started to see the attraction of having both a sailboat and a motorboat.

4FB71A7D-2D87-4D0D-B520-28BF4BABE02D.jpeg

Options are always good to have. :D

1 minute ago, Paul-Romain said:

Power boats? Stinkpots? What part of “SAILING Anarchy” do you folks not get? Sheesh!

right - does anyone think they talk about sailboats with this much affection on motorboat forums?

56 minutes ago, kimbottles said:

That and also outboards.

But since then I have sworn off I/O units. 

I think I swore them off in about '85!

Here's a quick doodle.

Maybe a bit small? I'm sure you see that I'm more the sailboat-kind-a-guy...

Anyway, hope you like it.

Motor2.png

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Not at odds but Veeger did spill the beans and you won't get the prize now Kim. Sam had the 27 pretty much built but wanted a 3d model and renders for the show and after the show response I scaled that up and fit it out in the 3D model as a 38' cruiser. 

How do you know I read his post before I replied Rasp........?

(Relax everyone, Rasp and I are friends and have met face to face. I am just teasing him....)

2 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Here's a quick doodle.

Maybe a bit small?

Motor2.png

LOA?

Keep going....

3 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Here's a quick doodle.

Yes, I do like it.

6 minutes ago, Veeger said:

LOA?

Keep going....

23 - 24 ft, or 7,15 metres looks about right to me.

1 hour ago, Veeger said:

The POGO 32 is very intriguing, But the Admiral wants to be able to take the kids and grandkid(s?).  These boats and the OP's parameters won't meet 'her' minimum size requirements.  However,  I sure do like the concepts-- but as a 60+ year dedicated hater of mobo's, I can't reconcile the fuel burn, even at these very economical rates.  I want, but I'll never be able to accept the 'price' in fuel consumption.  Yes, I know a new suit of sails for a 35-45'er will buy a lot of fuel but the pathways in my brain seem irretrievably wired to favor sail over power.

Respect what you are saying but the 44 foot displacement cruiser is a fraction of the 38 foot racer cruiser to run

insurance is half the cost for twice the value to start

slipping every three years at present

I fill up about once a year when prices are down 

i buy engine parts at a truck shop at truck prices not marine prices  (Ford as opposed to Yanmar prices)

no rigging to replace and the list goes on

and cruising with family it is the go

5 hours ago, kimbottles said:

A bit more sun protection by extending the cabin roof and this is flash

anyone got more details

thanks for all your efforts by the way

1 hour ago, ProaSailor said:

Nice looking boat.  The difference between "lightship" and "fully loaded" is very interesting - twice as much!

• Displacement, Lightship: 1,711kg (3,764#)
  • Displacement, Fully Loaded (including ballast): 3,470kg (7,634#)

Trailerable with a big truck:

• Beam Overall: 2.6m (8.4’)

236ft-Express-Long-House-Cruiser-Arrgt-home.thumb.jpg.146da890c46342a94e43ada464519e35.jpg

36ft-Express-Long-House-Cruiser-Arrgt.jpg.9ddc5f9f5d321f3c15329f4a421982cd.jpg

This is very interesting becuase of the dry weight which is about an etchell

1 hour ago, Paul-Romain said:

Power boats? Stinkpots? What part of “SAILING Anarchy” do you folks not get? Sheesh!

Paul, calm down. We understand that this is Sailing Anarchy. Don't read the thread. 

• Like 1

N F W will I *ever* own another I/O boat. Worst of both worlds times 1000 :angry:

* I think I was through 2 engines and 2 drives in 5 years and then the boat at least had the common courtesy to sink without me on it.

Here is one example of many I found on YachtWorld of pre-WWII designs. High horsepower engines were not really a thing for cruising boats back then.

She has a 60 HP diesel, does 7 knots at 1800 RPM, and tops out at 10 knots.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1931/custom-32-union-3469235/

6845787_20190824144118218_1_XLARGE.jpg&w

Another one 50 feet long with twin *60 HP* diesels.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1928/elco-deckhouse-motoryacht-3617972/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

Here's a quick doodle.

Motor2.png

I do like it a lot.

Love the raised deck that is not a raised deck.

Can we extent to saloon and cabin top.

Great work so quickly

Looking at the interior pictures I posted of the Kernan 48, I realized I had never taken advantage of the wide angle photo feature in the iPhone 11.

And given that it is a very nice day here today I went down and tried it out.

57897219-BFA8-499A-89B5-F5B08DA4A94F.jpeg

B26474FA-DEB7-4FFB-AC75-742FB1FAE8DC.jpeg

4C5EBD50-58D8-4600-8886-5FC8F8C65B3F.jpeg

9DE439A5-E308-48F6-8837-97BAFE6E55C4.jpeg

05C98F10-7899-43F0-A0D8-F47C5100D5EC.jpeg

FC8FF9AF-E20C-46CB-BE33-F293428B3CB7.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

You are ready to become a boat broker Kim! Nice photos and nice staging.

Not staged Rasp, just took iPhone 11 down and fired away.

This was a nice sensible thread and all it takes is one dickhead

now back to normal programming

8 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Ranger Tugs is essentially serving this market.

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

320R616NB-for-2013-Ranger-Tug-29-21.jpg&

Factory-24.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Problem is the weight for towing in Australia as there is gross vehicle and tow limit on the vehicles 

so even though the vehicle can tow say 3000 kg in real terms you will hit the gross limit before this

I must say, if the day comes that I have to switch to a motorboat, it would probably something like Wilhelmina from Nigel Irens.

Imagine her with a cabin like I drew above. Also with e-propulsion, of course. Love it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lydia said:

Respect what you are saying but the 44 foot displacement cruiser is a fraction of the 38 foot racer cruiser to run

insurance is half the cost for twice the value to start

slipping every three years at present

I fill up about once a year when prices are down 

i buy engine parts at a truck shop at truck prices not marine prices  (Ford as opposed to Yanmar prices)

no rigging to replace and the list goes on

and cruising with family it is the go

When are you ready to sell? :-)

11 hours ago, lydia said:

This was a nice sensible thread and all it takes is one dickhead

now back to normal programming

It is a sailing website, so HTFU,

just trying to pump in some levity in these severely depressing times.

12 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

You are ready to become a boat broker Kim! Nice photos and nice staging.

Jeez, thats downright insulting to a lot of people. :P

• Like 1

Kim's photo work is much better than many broker listings I've seen.

I think the discussion comes down to how much like camping you want to live.  

The initial brief calls for "extended" cruising (but is not defined).  I think we would all agree that an extended cruise of a boat like Mr Bottle's very handsome Drumroll would be pleasant.  An extended cruise on boat with a cabin the size of a small tent is doable... for most... for a short while. 

From my perspective, I would want a boat that I could be stuck on for a few days (e.g. while bad weather passes) that wouldn't drive me crazy.  

2 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

The initial brief calls for "extended" cruising (but is not defined).  I think we would all agree that an extended cruise of a boat like Mr Bottle's very handsome Drumroll would be pleasant.  An extended cruise on boat with a cabin the size of a small tent is doable... for most... for a short while. 

From my perspective, I would want a boat that I could be stuck on for a few days (e.g. while bad weather passes) that wouldn't drive me crazy.  

DRUMROLL is a previous name which I wanted to use, but WHITECAP is the name SWMBO wanted. WHITECAP she is as SWMBO gets spoiled in our now 53 year relationship. (And she is well worth spoiling as she is my favorite person on earth.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kimbottles said:

DRUMROLL is a previous name which I wanted to use, but WHITECAP is the name SWMBO wanted. WHITECAP she is as SWMBO gets spoiled in our now 53 year relationship. (And she is well worth spoiling as she is my favorite person on earth.)

I apologize for the confusion (my excuse is that I guess I have a lot on my mind now).  Whitecap is an excellent name and it is a fine boat.  

25 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

I apologize for the confusion (my excuse is that I guess I have a lot on my mind now).  Whitecap is an excellent name and it is a fine boat.  

No worries Bugsy, I did post a picture with her old name, not your fault for not knowing the history.

• Like 1

Phil Bolger designed several boats that might fit the spec. This is one that's a bit interesting. It was an entry in a design contest, probably in the 1950s or 60s. It's 25' 10" by 7'8", outboard powered, and meant to be trailerable. Bolger gave it a sailing rig because... well, just because. The rig is optional. Styling is supposed to reflect the 1930s. It supposedly sleeps 4, but that includes at least one sleeping on the dinette.   

Economy Motorsailer.png

7 hours ago, Matagi said:

I must say, if the day comes that I have to switch to a motorboat, it would probably something like Wilhelmina from Nigel Irens.

Imagine her with a cabin like I drew above. Also with e-propulsion, of course. Love it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Very cool. but SO tiny! It's like the Bieker powerboat he made from a converted Ultimate 30 hull. That why I like the Shearwater, and the Alaskan skiffs. Yeah, not as efficient but still pretty efficient, and with a decent amount of space. 

4 hours ago, Bugsy said:

Very much a matter of personal taste. If the dimensions are right and you have a comfortable place to sit & read, sleep, and getting on & off it isn't too much of a PITA, then you can be surprisingly comfy on a small boat.

My wife and I took long weekend mini-cruises, and also week-long vacation trips, on a trailerable 19 sailboat

.post-30927-030624200%201284318859_thumb.jpg

I prioritized ease of trailering, so we went a little smaller than many people with the same idea. And it worked really well for us. With a motorboat, you don't have the distraction and fun of sailing while underway, but there are a few other benefits. Electricity is plentiful, for example. One of the best things about this boat was gunkholing- we spent many many evenings in shallow creeks with nobody around. If there was a beach, we could not only could pull up to it, but could go stern-first for easy boarding. It was quite comfy for sitting around, and with a small amount of pre-prep we had great meals on board.

Fast forward almost two decades, my wife and I spent some years cruising in a trawler/tugboat.

post-30927-127681014806_thumb.jpg

We chugged around at 6 to 6 1/2 knots, because as a lifelong sailor, that seemed fast to me and we burned very little fuel. This boat had more room and comforts (36' LOA) than many houses I've lived in. One nice thing is that it was very relaxing to drive and had fridge right next to the pilot's station, which not only was inside (and had great visibility) but had a heat/a-c vent that blew on the helmsperson's legs.

I guess the take-away point is that if you have the right priorities, you can have a great time in a wide range of boats.

Some friends of our have a Catalina 22 hull that they chopped 3/4 of the deck & cabin out of, and built a small pilothouse motor cruiser out of it. It seems a bit rolly and is not as beach-friendly as I'd personally like, but they love it. They mostly cruise Florida in the winter with it, because they have another big boat up North somewhere for the high summer. But it would make a great boat for the rivers & canals, places like the Finger Lakes too.

FB- Doug

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.2144ba8ee3d5b2f2f34183ea4113288c.png

Here is one of Sam's designs that he was getting built in Korea about 4 years ago. They did some shows over there but I don't know if the idea of wood epoxy at this scale ever took off. I went to Sam with a little runabout that Bob and I cooked up and thought that Sam could built a stitch and glue prototype but he is sending up to the Koreans and we hope they can build them there. Just heard from them today and they are cautiously re-opening their shop.

Read the copy in the ad above, I think it might have something about these not selling in the states. Another something wriggling in your body???

CRUISE YOUR DREAM

The comfortable bedrooms, spacious interiors, spacious cockpit, scalable models of 26FT BLACK CROWN 30. Look up the rough seas aboard the trusty BLACK CROWN 30. You will not find another something wriggling in your body.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bugsy said:

Looking at up to 4 weeks at a time say.

not a pull out of the water every weekend thing

So trail to a marine facility, launch by travel lift or crane take extended cruise of area and move on.

Hope that helps

Second iteration, bit more offshorey and pacey, closed bow now. And: with internet connection. I would want this to be my office.

My dream journey in this would be: tow this to Skagen in northern Denmark in the morning. Have it in Oslo 8 hours later. It's about 120nm.

Last summer, when we started sailing from there, there was a young family in their pilothouse who had done just that. 

Motor3.png

23 hours ago, Matagi said:

23 - 24 ft, or 7,15 metres looks about right to me.

21 minutes ago, Matagi said:

Second iteration, bit more offshorey and pacey, closed bow now. And: with internet connection. I would want this to be my office.

Motor3.png

What does "closed bow now" mean?

From the size of the person standing (6 feet tall?), the larger boat appears to be 24.7 feet long, the smaller boat is 21.6 feet (at the same scale).  Do you have it in 3D?

I am a short arse at 5'8'' and it for me so no more headroom needed.

Can we dd. little bow sprit for anchoring given the plumb bow?

9 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

When are you ready to sell? :-)

2025, and you will be a first call there Jas

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lydia said:

I am a short arse at 5'8'' and it for me so no more headroom needed.

If the small boat is 7.15 meters then the large boat is 8.18 meters or ~27 feet long.  And the person standing on the larger boat is 6'6" tall!

Or if the person standing is 5'8" then the large boat is 23.36 feet long and the small boat is 20.4' long.

25' for the bigger boat looks like a good guess but why are we guessing?  It's the same length as the "Badnam launch" which you said was too small?

The Badnam launch is very small inside as there are very narrow

Hence the 2.9 m beam option where I can tow with a permit in daytime with some freeway restrictions

On 3/23/2020 at 4:26 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Well that sure got your attention Kim. Started out as a 28' electric/solar plug in water taxi 6 pack boat for your neck of the woods. You probably saw the prototype at the Seattle Boat Show about a year ago as the SOLAR SAL. Then I was asked to scale up to 38' for a sensible cruiser hybrid that would be suitable for a leisurely Inside Passage cruise. I'll give you something off my desk if you can guess the local designer/builder.

SS28.thumb.jpg.9ddc2b96e1cc9981445b33084bcb3e86.jpgSS25.thumb.jpg.1907155836f3b45e784871ebdf81a874.jpgSS19.thumb.jpg.74ed8b3296733bff53f19d44ed80e906.jpg

I've been thinking about a project like this for a long time, though not quite as big (26'?).  Solar would be great, but for me the size limit was how much battery could be charged overnight, for perhaps a 30 mile range at cruising speed.  Most marinas near civilization have 50A plugs.

A lot of cruisers, especially older, just harbor hop from marina to marina. 

We used to talk about cruising the San Juans in a Duffy.

Quiet, simple, reliable, with very low ongoing cost.

Thought I saw one of these recently in WoodenBoat, a newly built pinasse, from the Bay of Arcachon in France,  with flatter aft sections that allow it get on a plane.  

WoodenBoat article in issue 269  July/Aug 2019 page 114 ; discussion of v-bottom and tunneled props

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blurocketsmate said:

I've been thinking about a project like this for a long time, though not quite as big (26'?).  Solar would be great, but for me the size limit was how much battery could be charged overnight, for perhaps a 30 mile range at cruising speed.  Most marinas near civilization have 50A plugs.

A lot of cruisers, especially older, just harbor hop from marina to marina. 

We used to talk about cruising the San Juans in a Duffy.

Quiet, simple, reliable, with very low ongoing cost.

I'll dig up the 27' version to let you see the progression to this design.1978122025_IBPro1.thumb.jpg.f68549f56c85354518b1a79f3f6ba8b2.jpg

IB Pro 2.jpg

WaterPlane3.jpg

• Like 1