Sign in to follow this  
Jackdaw

2020 games postponed; what about the 17-20 RRS?

Do we get another year of this?

I asked that question in the front page piece i wrote.

Do we get 17-21 or still a new set of rules in 21?

The answer isn't urgent, we still have 9 months to run on these ones

The RRS are written for one thing and one thing only - The Olympics.

Most likely the NORs and SIs for the 2021 Olympic Sailing Games will invoke the 2017-2020 RRS.

To keep revenue streams in place, the rest of us will move on to the 2021-2024 RRS.

26 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

The RRS are written for one thing and one thing only - The Olympics.

Most likely the NORs and SIs for the 2021 Olympic Sailing Games will invoke the 2017-2020 RRS.

To keep revenue streams in place, the rest of us will move on to the 2021-2024 RRS.

what revenue is associated with moving to the new rules?

Just now, Glenn McCarthy said:

Some still sell printed copies of the RRS.

That has to be a loss maker, maybe break even at best. No-one is getting rich off hard copies of the RRS.

4 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

That has to be a loss maker, maybe break even at best. No-one is getting rich off hard copies of the RRS.

Clearly. It was a joke. 

No one gets rich in sailing in general, it is a dying activity (sport for a handful at the top) with an aging participate population.

Gosh, it would be HORRIBLE and VERY BAD if they didn't change the rules!

Imagine, the time that sailors spent learning the actual rules in the book would not be a total waste!

FB- Doug

39 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Gosh, it would be HORRIBLE and VERY BAD if they didn't change the rules!

Imagine, the time that sailors spent learning the actual rules in the book would not be a total waste!

FB- Doug

All the Olympic sports do it, but in most cases recreational athletes  don't bother to keep up to date. Even the NCAA modifies the rules in many sports rather than sticking with the international federation rules.

1 minute ago, JohnMB said:

All the Olympic sports do it, but in most cases recreational athletes  don't bother to keep up to date. Even the NCAA modifies the rules in many sports rather than sticking with the international federation rules.

And we want sailing to be MORE like those sports?

How often do they change the rules of chess?

FB- Doug

49 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

And we want sailing to be MORE like those sports?

How often do they change the rules of chess?

FB- Doug

Every few years, not sure exactly.  

In the 2018 world championship Carlsen offered a draw in game 12 to push the final into 'blizt' where he felt he had an advantage. The whole rules of 'blitz' chess are pretty new only recognized y FIDE since around 2006.

The fundamental remain, but the rules change steadily, even in chess....... However most chess players don't worry about the rues which apply to world championship games.

Seems to me World Sailing could publish the 21-24 rules but still run the Tokyo Olympics (and maybe any remaining qualifying events that bleed into 2021) under the 17-20 RRS. That would leave all of the Olympic competitors on the same footing and racing under the rules they've trained under for the last 4 years.

That would keep RRS changes in sync with future Olympic quadrennials - I don't guess the Tokyo postponement will ripple to Paris, I'd expect those games to go as scheduled in 2024.

5 hours ago, TJSoCal said:

Seems to me World Sailing could publish the 21-24 rules but still run the Tokyo Olympics (and maybe any remaining qualifying events that bleed into 2021) under the 17-20 RRS. That would leave all of the Olympic competitors on the same footing and racing under the rules they've trained under for the last 4 years.

That would keep RRS changes in sync with future Olympic quadrennials - I don't guess the Tokyo postponement will ripple to Paris, I'd expect those games to go as scheduled in 2024.

Why bother? Why not instead just rename the 21-24 rules as the 22-24 rules, and ignore them until after the olympics in 2021, All regattas can just be run under the 17-20 rules.

I don't think anyone is desperate to move to the new edition yet.