Sign in to follow this  
Bull City

Off Center Harbor offer

I imagine many of you are members of this on-line publication. I have been a member for several years, and really enjoy it. In response to the virus situation, they are offering an 8-week membership for $5.00, a stunningly good value. Here is the link to the details.

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/join-page-mem-ref-5-membership-8-weeks-50-off-upgrade/

I have no financial interest in Off Center Harbor.

My membership lapsed. When I attempted to renew using this offer, it forces me to a page to pay the full price.

I looked into it Ajax. As I understand it, this is an offer for new members only, but I'm told that past members like you (who have expired memberships) will be getting a similar offer by email soon (if you unsubscribed from their emails, then you can ping them to include you).

• Like 1

I've enjoyed the teaser videos!  It's well worth it, but I've been too cheap until now.

I'm so glad to see somebody doing this.  And it's great work.

Consider buying a subscription for a friend who would appreciate it.  I can think of several.  Remember them next Christmas too.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:43 AM, Bull City said:

I imagine many of you are members of this on-line publication. I have been a member for several years, and really enjoy it. In response to the virus situation, they are offering an 8-week membership for $5.00, a stunningly good value. Here is the link to the details.

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/join-page-mem-ref-5-membership-8-weeks-50-off-upgrade/

I have no financial interest in Off Center Harbor.

Thanks for that heads-up, Bull, I signed up this evening and am enjoying the site, even finding right off the bat a recent video about a Pacific Seacraft 37, the bigger and older sister of my PS34.

I'm not sure why I'm a member, except that I keep my boat in Center Harbor and see those guys around. I just don't have time for watching vids. 

I've gotten emails from both BBY and Lyman-Morse recently that they are on deeply reduced staffs and that visitors are banned from the grounds. People fleeing the cities are opening their Downeast summer homes, locals are quite worried some may be bringing more than their kids and pets. 

Delivery dates for new builds and storage yachts are in the air. Mine had her winter work list completed some time ago, so we will likely get a June launch. 

43 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I've gotten emails from both BBY and Lyman-Morse recently that they are on deeply reduced staffs and that visitors are banned from the grounds. People fleeing the cities are opening their Downeast summer homes, locals are quite worried some may be bringing more than their kids and pets. 

Delivery dates for new builds and storage yachts are in the air. Mine had her winter work list completed some time ago, so we will likely get a June launch. 

A text a couple days ago: "Do you want any fresh scallops? Ricky's friend is dropping off a bunch." 

Big fresh Maine scallops are in season right now. Divers have been out on the water harvesting, as usual.

Trouble is, all the restaurants on the coast are closed. Heck, all the restaurants in the world are closed,,..... Mary Ann walked out an hour later and pulled two pounds of scallops out of our mailbox that were shucked an hour before. No charge.

Another text yesterday: "How many lobsters?" 5$ a pound, a mercy buy for a friend who's pulling traps, anxious to pay back bills.

Truth is, there may not be a boat price for lobsters this spring. As well as shuttered restaurants - tariff problems with China - lobsters may be crawling out of harbor soon to social distance. They are just about giving them away on the islands with so few year round inhabitants and virtually NO market. 

Say we do sail this season, where are we going to go?

I'm reading news and social media accounts of a growing class war as second homers and urban vacationers are heading to their vacation homes to 'escape'. Some locals are beginning to rebel knowing their support systems, stores, medical services and supplies, will be overwhelmed. Islands especially are cutting back ferry's (everyone staying put), asking contractors to defer projects. 

We've seen the wave here, suddenly: Strange faces, easy to pick out in a small community, are walking by (we live on a pedestrian track) in increasing numbers. We're used to a seasonal influx - but this is way ahead of schedule. The local laugh ism that many dress like Mainers, to blend in.

At least they dress like they think Mainers dress. Right now they are trying to be low key because there is a moral issue you may have to resolve; with yourself anyway. Do you stay put -as is recommended- or go to a place with a much lower infection rate (so far)? Tough call, it would be for me.

Luckily, if we do sail (yard that launches our boat is optimistic, today),  we have endless remote spots where nobody lives. You can easily go days without getting close to anyone. I don't expect to see many transients up here this season either. Some have told me, if they do sail, it will be close to home.

Where are we floating pariahs planning to sail this season?

If you dare,... to come to Maine, with no docks to tie up along the way, this is a good book to pass the time :

71ABWDxRZ1L.jpg

Start a cottage industry fedexing lobsters and scallops direct to me here in Texas. 

I think all of us are hoping to be able to sail by July. 

My boat splashes at the end of May. I hope I can get there. 

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Start a cottage industry fedexing lobsters and scallops direct to me here in Texas. 

Please add me to the list. :D

• Like 1

This just in from Off Center Harbor:

EXTRA GIFTS:  
In light of recent news, and to make this better than anything that may be offered elsewhere, I just changed it to extend these memberships to a total of 10-weeks, so your friends who join will get an extra two weeks.

When the 10 weeks is up, we'll also upgrade these folks to an optional annual membership at 50% off and include a free hat.  This upgrade is completely optional, and they can cancel at anytime to prevent the upgrade.  If they forget to cancel, and they get charged, no worries, they can just ask and we'll refund them promptly.

I get emails from them every day to subscribe. 
I’m already a member and have trouble logging in sometimes. And I’m still waiting for the baseball cap that came with the subscription...

On 3/28/2020 at 2:40 PM, Kris Cringle said:

Probably should give Carvers Harbor on Vinalhaven Island out in Penobscot Bay, a pass by for now: 

Knox County deputies investigate Vinalhaven incident: Tree cut to barricade driveway, quarantine demanded

https://www.penbaypilot.com/article/knox-county-deputies-investigate-vinalhaven-incident-tree-cut-barricade-driveway-quar/132336

The Virus Vigilantes of Vinalhaven Vehemently Solicit Sequestration

• Like 2

Speaking of Alliteration, Consonance of Assonance, I was thinking last night of:

The specter of Spector was suspected to have expectorated.

10 lobsters, 13 pounds, $65.

Steam 10 minutes per pound. It's good to see some color in the backyard. 

Lobsters_in_the_backyard.thumb.JPG.4accd9c8452bd84485cb362eeba510ec.JPG

I did the cooking, then went inside. 

30 minutes later, a flustered Mary Ann comes in the kitchen and says, "Thanks for the moral support! My fingers are killing me". 

Ayuh, I'm an ex-fishmonger (short stint when we moved to Maine and bought a fish market), and could spot they were in fact, hard shells (barnacles, a sure give away). She knows I'm not likely to ever pick lobster meat out of the shells, ever again. 

Did you know there are about 4 ounces of actual lobster meat inside a 1 pound lobsters?  

But the truth is, there is just a lot of water around the smaller lobster in a "new shell', as the industry calls them. Just grown shell (every season), the animal inside is considerably smaller, surrounded by sea water with room to grow inside. 

There is more meat inside a hard shell lobster, considerably, as the animal has about outgrown it's shell.

Mary Ann did well(ouch!), picked closer to 5-6 ounces per pound, I was impressed. We froze most but the fresh picked meat was delicious. 

629150836_Lobstermeatpicked.thumb.JPG.04925c477fe1936f10cdd365ad53692b.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

10 lobsters, 13 pounds, $65.

Steam 10 minutes per pound. It's good to see some color in the backyard. 

Lobsters_in_the_backyard.thumb.JPG.4accd9c8452bd84485cb362eeba510ec.JPG

I did the cooking, then went inside. 

30 minutes later, a flustered Mary Ann comes in the kitchen and says, "Thanks for the moral support! My fingers are killing me". 

Ayuh, I'm an ex-fishmonger (short stint when we moved to Maine and bought a fish market), and could spot they were in fact, hard shells (barnacles, a sure give away). She knows I'm not likely to ever pick lobster meat out of the shells, ever again. 

Did you know there are about 4 ounces of actual lobster meat inside a 1 pound lobsters?  

But the truth is, there is just a lot of water around the smaller lobster in a "new shell', as the industry calls them. Just grown shell (every season), the animal inside is considerably smaller, surrounded by sea water with room to grow inside. 

There is more meat inside a hard shell lobster, considerably, as the animal has about outgrown it's shell.

Mary Ann did well(ouch!), picked closer to 5-6 ounces per pound, I was impressed. We froze most but the fresh picked meat was delicious. 

629150836_Lobstermeatpicked.thumb.JPG.04925c477fe1936f10cdd365ad53692b.JPG

Kris, this is very sadistic on your part.

• Like 2

@Kris Cringle I need some lobster too. Do have a recommended source for shipping a few down here? I am serious.

Thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

@Kris Cringle I need some lobster too. Do have a recommended source for shipping a few down here? I am serious.

Thanks.

Ditto.

7 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Thanks.

I do. This family business has been shipping live lobsters out of Rockport Harbor for a generation. They have a fish market a few minute walk up from my house. We're in there several times a week and know the family. 

https://www.graffambroslobster.com/market/maine-lobster/

Consider their frozen meat only package. I know, I know, the steaming red bug and a pail of melted butter....

But the fact is, lobster is sold by the actual meat price regardless of how you receive it. Right now, that price should be over $60 / pound. So when you consider buying the live lobsters, figure it takes 3 to 4 lobsters to yield an actual 16 ounces of claws, tail meat and knuckles. Prepared in many ways including just heating the thawed meat in a little butter and herbs is a true feast. I see a pretty good deal on lobster meat flash frozen. 

The fishmonger in me calculated Mary Ann's hard work yielded lobster meat at approximately,.:;:'''.+..,m.-+.3,... $15-20/ pound. That is a 'wicked deal', as the natives say. 

1847366305_Lobstermeatpicked.thumb.JPG.6352017e213656f8147e516351817a65.JPG

• Like 1

"3 to 4 lobsters" of what weight in the shell?  The website advertises various weights.

I am seriously looking at this to cheer up my wife. We could have a romantic dinner on the boat, at the dock without violating any public health directives.

Edit: @Kris Cringle  Also, in the "Dinner for 2" package, it includes 2lb. "steamers" in addition to 2, 1.5lb. lobstah.  What are the "steamers?"  A pot to steam them in? Food?

27 minutes ago, Ajax said:

"3 to 4 lobsters" of what weight in the shell?  The website advertises various weights.

I am seriously looking at this to cheer up my wife. We could have a romantic dinner on the boat, at the dock without violating any public health directives.

Edit: @Kris Cringle  Also, in the "Dinner for 2" package, it includes 2lb. "steamers" in addition to 2, 1.5lb. lobstah.  What are the "steamers?"  A pot to steam them in? Food?

A 1 lb lobster yields about 4 ounce of meat. Get about 1 1/4- 1 1/2 pounders, a good sized single portion lobster.

That would be 2 pounds of steamer clams I believe. 

Disregard. I called them up. It's clams...steamers are clams.

This week, I ordered two whopper, live lobsters. I'll come up with my own side dishes.  Next week, I think I'll order the frozen meat to turn into lobster mac 'n cheese. Wife loves her some mac 'n cheese.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Disregard. I called them up. It's clams...steamers are clams.

This week, I ordered two whopper, live lobsters. I'll come up with my own side dishes.  Next week, I think I'll order the frozen meat to turn into lobster mac 'n cheese. Wife loves her some mac 'n cheese.

well, who doesn't?!! and i have never, ever HAD lobster mac n' cheese!:D

@Kris Cringle I am about to pull the trigger on your suggestion of lobster meat. Any recipe suggestions?

its when threads like this start devolving into food that make me wish more people in my house liked seafood, although it's a bit cheaper that they don't. I may have to start ordering things like this just for me if this stay at home order stuff continues for too long. Gotta get my fix.

Lobstah mmmmmm... the meat is wonderful, but the shells and assorted bits can be used to make a lobster stock, which can then be used for lots of other lobstery goodies. Seafood risotto with lobster stock is crazy good. Lobster bisque etc. You know you have the time...

• Like 1

Humm. I have risotto. 

@Ajax @Kris Cringle I ordered the lobstah meat deal, coming on Friday. We're going fusion:  Maine lobster with hash brown potatoes and coleslaw, à la Joe's Stone Crab of Miami Beach fame, and a bottle of Prosecco. Mrs. Bull and I are excited.

Kris, thanks for giving the inspiration.

• Like 1

@Kris Cringle Yes, thanks for the brilliant suggestion.  My first mate is very excited.

Maryland's shelter-at-home order prohibits sailing but I'm in the fortuitous position of having my boat at home, so we're still going to carry it all down to the dock and dine onboard while enjoying the wildlife in our cove.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Maryland's shelter-at-home order prohibits sailing

What's the thinking behind this?

27 minutes ago, Bull City said:

What's the thinking behind this?

I'm pulling this totally out of my ass, so take it with a grain of salt.

Recreational boating in Maryland is a very social activity. Fishing boats have too many people in too close proximity, ditto for family "fish and ski" boats.  Only sailing seems to be a more solitary boating activity and often times, not even then. Groups of sailors raft up together, racing boats have crews.

My belief is that recreational boating is prohibited because our Natural Resources Police absolutely do not have the resources to enforce social separation out on the water and the USCG has "better things to do."

Kayaking and paddle boarding was just declared acceptable in new "guidance" that was promulgated. Presumably because you can't fit more than 2 people in a kayak and no more than one person on a paddle board. Plus, these are near-shore activities that likely won't require any rescues to burden 1st responders.  My wife and I *will* be kayaking in our coves and creeks and I damn well will be sailing my Dyer dinghy despite it not being a kayak or paddle board.

I agree with Ajax's assessment..too hard to differentiate, so it is easier to lock it all down. Ajax and me are in the minority of how most people use their boats around here I think. I love a big raft up, but I ain't doing that in March! To me, "recreational boating" to the DNR in MD means a pile of people tied up to the local restaurant/bar pier partying it up, or having a dance party of 15 people on their center console/bay built in the creek cruising along at 5kts.

Our marina lock down is the same way. My slip neighbor is in Bethesda..the county they live in has the highest infection rate in the state. The whole family drove down to the boat when they heard the lock down coming on Monday to check on it after they happily let it sit all winter..They are very nice, educated/smart well-to-do, etc, but, I worry more about them coming down to slower MD and infecting the area than the drunk down the street having a 'party of 9' with all the locals in her front yard every afternoon. So, even though I can walk/bike to my boat, the result is I am not allowed to enter the marina property.

Furthermore, this 'lock (most of it) all down' theory is no different IMO than the whole stay-at-home mandate. People with common sense are already staying 6 feet away from everyone else and cleaning and disinfecting and shopping for essentials at off-peak hours. It is the one zombie that just drove down here from NYC dragging his knuckles all over Walmart/the gas pump/the liquor store door handle, etc. that will infect 1000 other people. No enforcement unit has the capacity to weed this one asshole out of the haystack, so, we have to sit at home for a month while those guys wander the streets and we wait a month for the COVID-19 to finally die off the hard surfaces they touched.

Whoa..I do not live over there anymore!! That is across the bridge and closer to Waldorf. I do not claim that area, but it did make the local news. :)

That dude is a piece of work apparently. Registered sex offender, armed robbery charges, etc. I can't believe he has 60 friends that came to a bonfire, but there are a lot of idiots down here..maybe they were burning all their infected personables! 

5 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Whoa..I do not live over there anymore!! That is across the bridge and closer to Waldorf. I do not claim that area, but it did make the local news. :)

That dude is a piece of work apparently. Registered sex offender, armed robbery charges, etc. I can't believe he has 60 friends that came to a bonfire, but there are a lot of idiots down here..maybe they were burning all their infected personables! 

That's what I said!  I can believe there's one, stupid guy out there to start this party but I was surprised that he had 60 stupid friends, willing to show up!

By the way, to make sure we stay on topic, I did use the special $5 deal to join Off Center Harbor, and I am sending an email with @Kris Cringle's lobstah deets to some friends that really enjoy it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

By the way, to make sure we stay on topic,

Hike, good thought, but it seems every thread ends up being touched by the virus. It's does confuse me sometimes when I try to recall where I read something.

51 minutes ago, Ajax said:

My belief is that recreational boating is prohibited because our Natural Resources Police absolutely do not have the resources to enforce social separation out on the water

Our marina is not near a population center. Most folks live an hour or more away. It has been pretty quiet lately, and the folks have been pretty careful of the distancing thing. I do worry that it may may be shut down for the reasons you mention. Especially if there are idiots in another marina violating the rules.

9 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Our marina is not near a population center. Most folks live an hour or more away. It has been pretty quiet lately, and the folks have been pretty careful of the distancing thing. I do worry that it may may be shut down for the reasons you mention. Especially if there are idiots in another marina violating the rules.

Ours is not either. I have never lived anywhere else, but I consider this area is pretty rural, with pockets of tightly clustered neighborhoods here and there though..But as with 'luxury items' like boats, a majority of the owners are in the city where the $$ is better, and come down here to get away. I am on the other end of the spectrum, I live close to the marina, at the end of a peninsula, but can't use my boat that no one else has or will be on anytime soon. Just complaining mostly..and more about not being able to continue spring projects. I have plenty around the house though..I'd just rather be configuring my iPad on my NMEA network instead of shoveling construction debris out of my crawlspace.

Our lobster have arrived.  I have to keep yelling at my wife to stop peeking in the box and leave them alone until we're ready to boil them!

13 minutes ago, chester said:

That was pretty fast!

The cost of shipping is a kick square in the nuts.

I'm going all-out-  A first course of lobster bisque, then the lobster served with cheddar biscuits, steamed broccoli, risotto. We have an open bottle of rosè which is listed as an acceptable pairing.

Thank God for Google or I'd be pairing lobster with McDonald's french fries or something.

• Like 3

On 3/31/2020 at 6:03 AM, Kris Cringle said:

I do. This family business has been shipping live lobsters out of Rockport Harbor for a generation. They have a fish market a few minute walk up from my house. We're in there several times a week and know the family. 

https://www.graffambroslobster.com/market/maine-lobster/

Consider their frozen meat only package. I know, I know, the steaming red bug and a pail of melted butter....

But the fact is, lobster is sold by the actual meat price regardless of how you receive it. Right now, that price should be over $60 / pound. So when you consider buying the live lobsters, figure it takes 3 to 4 lobsters to yield an actual 16 ounces of claws, tail meat and knuckles. Prepared in many ways including just heating the thawed meat in a little butter and herbs is a true feast. I see a pretty good deal on lobster meat flash frozen. 

The fishmonger in me calculated Mary Ann's hard work yielded lobster meat at approximately,.:;:'''.+..,m.-+.3,... $15-20/ pound. That is a 'wicked deal', as the natives say. 

1847366305_Lobstermeatpicked.thumb.JPG.6352017e213656f8147e516351817a65.JPG

Hey kris, any way you can work out a "Sa special"...  I am down for a decent order' but shipping to AZ is like 85 bucks...  deal killer for me, but I would love to support the business.  Understand the difficulties involved, but I figured I would ask since they giving shit away at the docks...  

35 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Hey kris, any way you can work out a "Sa special"...  I am down for a decent order' but shipping to AZ is like 85 bucks...  deal killer for me, but I would love to support the business.  Understand the difficulties involved, but I figured I would ask since they giving shit away at the docks...  

Shaggy, they probably don't have any control over the shipping cost. Shipping 2 lbs. of meat to NC was about $40.

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

I wish I could help but the shipping is the key. I recommended the above biz because I know they have been shipping lobsters for decades. That is a tricky business (we tried it and had some memorable failures). And distance makes it trickier still. 

The guys that are selling lobsters like this are local fishermen. They usually don't do ANY selling which I think is their downfall half the time the season doesn't work out. Around here, a bright woman started a FB page to connect these guys with no market, to arrange setting up in local parking lots. In a weeks time, I see she has a network going up and down this area of the coast. It's taken off like gangbusters. Rarely do these guys (and a growing number of girls) get as much as $5 a pound boat price, even in a booming market. 

So many things will be changed when we get through this. I hope these fishermen learn that they CAN sell directly, make much more $$$ and fish less. 

• Like 3

Good point. If the fishermen can earn more money, they may not fish so voraciously.

• Like 1

The lobsterman (people?) would tell you it's aquaculture. The average lobster gets something like 6 or 7 rides to the surface before they are big enough to be taken. 

"Chicken" lobsters in the Winter are the best. 

• Like 1

On March 31, 2020 at 10:25 AM, chester said:

well, who doesn't?!! and i have never, ever HAD lobster mac n' cheese!:D

Maybe @bmiller will chime in and talk about the lobster Mac and cheese we made on the boat last summer and served with a bottle of Veuve Cliquot while anchored in Pretty Marsh. 

Brooklin Boat Yard is closed. Hancock county got its first case.

1 hour ago, Elegua said:

The lobsterman (people?) would tell you it's aquaculture. The average lobster gets something like 6 or 7 rides to the surface before they are big enough to be taken. 

"Chicken" lobsters in the Winter are the best. 

True. But most escape through the 'vents' the state requires. These are slots that are regulated that they can come and go, until they can't fit back out. 

I'm of the opinion (a popular one) that if half the traps were removed, they would yield nearly the same # catch, with half the work and investment. This could drive smaller, more economical boats to buy and own. Less $$$ in gear and gear maintenance, less employee payroll (which means less PBR to buy). 

Then, if they would work on their boat price by working on marketing their own product instead of slaving for the bait company, that sends most of them to Canada, at the lowest price,....

This is how much of the world regulates their stocks and fishes today. 

285051965_StALobstermancopy.thumb.jpg.6daa12daa81597edc6583f446869787c.jpg

24 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Maybe @bmiller will chime in and talk about the lobster Mac and cheese we made on the boat last summer and served with a bottle of Veuve Cliquot while anchored in Pretty Marsh. 

Oh yeah.   Mmmm...  Cliquot always works for me.

On 3/31/2020 at 1:31 PM, Bull City said:

@Kris Cringle I am about to pull the trigger on your suggestion of lobster meat. Any recipe suggestions?

I had none, until 2 minutes ago, Bull.  

My mate is the real cook in the family. 

Guess what we're having tonight, Shrimp Pad Tai of which she is a master, I can attest.

But tonight there will be more than, just shrimp. She just finished this up to sit (under foil) until later. Our old stove is a battle field. 

Shrimp_Pad_Tai_with_lobster..thumb.JPG.e7acc81f2eb5f5d9b4ebc80f9d5acc3b.JPG

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Very nice. Try the Philipponnat grand blanc. 

47 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

True. But most escape through the 'vents' the state requires. These are slots that are regulated that they can come and go, until they can't fit back out. 

I'm of the opinion (a popular one) that if half the traps were removed, they would yield nearly the same # catch, with half the work and investment. This could drive smaller, more economical boats to buy and own. Less $$$ in gear and gear maintenance, less employee payroll (which means less PBR to buy). 

Then, if they would work on their boat price by working on marketing their own product instead of slaving for the bait company, that sends most of them to Canada, at the lowest price,....

This is how much of the world regulates their stocks and fishes today. 

285051965_StALobstermancopy.thumb.jpg.6daa12daa81597edc6583f446869787c.jpg

But with a smaller boat, where would I put my Deadliest Catch lights and antennas? How could I support buying a jacked-up F250? With fewer pots, what what would al the divers and yards do without all the repair work on drive systems damaged by lines? 

What you say makes sense, but I wouldn't begin to guess how you get every to agree on how to reduce the number of traps.

You know what I miss? Gulf of Main shrimp. Thanks global warming :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Without doubt one of the finest meals I have ever enjoyed.

Maybe it was the location, maybe the perfect weather, maybe the insanely gorgeous cockpit, maybe the freshly steamed live lobster, maybe a really nice bottle of champagne. Or maybe the fact two beautiful gals allowed two less than savory dopes to enjoy their company. I don't know.

• Like 1

Since I took advantage of the Off Center Harbor deal and have been checking out some of the stuff on the site, I am getting a strange sensation to do some boat building! This might be a great time to start that PT-11 kit I've been wanting to do. i could take the $$ I was going to put into the big boat (since I can't get to it with the marina shut down), and get a little boat instead! Guess I need to get off my ass and order the damn thing first. :rolleyes:  

In reality, I have been lucky enough to be working from home for a while now..this quarantine has jacked up my routine because now Mrs. Bitches is all up in my ass all day when I am trying to do real work.

44 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Since I took advantage of the Off Center Harbor deal and have been checking out some of the stuff on the site, I am getting a strange sensation to do some boat building! This might be a great time to start that PT-11 kit I've been wanting to do. i could take the $$ I was going to put into the big boat (since I can't get to it with the marina shut down), and get a little boat instead! Guess I need to get off my ass and order the damn thing first. :rolleyes:  

In reality, I have been lucky enough to be working from home for a while now..this quarantine has jacked up my routine because now Mrs. Bitches is all up in my ass all day when I am trying to do real work.

Just do it!

Mrs. Bull and I have been thinking about what to have with our lobstah. I thought this traditional "Kraft" recipe from the old Groove Tube might be perfect:

1 hour ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

The only problem is that we have had an unexpected run on kits and almost everything we have is spoken for. Not sure how long it will be before some of our suppliers open up again. 

Glad this thread got back to Off Center Harbor and off of lobsters. Looking at lobster without eating it just isn't right. 

Sorry Russ, I'm here to report on my lobster experience.

It was fabu-tastic. @Kris Cringle was right- I got bugs that had molted and were swimming around inside their shells but there was plenty of meat. 2lb bugs are huge and 1.5 would be acceptable next time.

The claws were so sweet, the opposite of blue crabs where the body is sweet and the claws, less so.

My wife is a park ranger with a master's in biology.  She geeked the fuck out when I put the bug on her plate. "Look at these mouth parts!" and other scientific observations.  I said "are we dissecting or eating, because they're getting cold fast?"  We noticed that their claws are asymmetrical and specialized. I'm guessing one of them is a mating lure like showing off a big penis or something. 

Like Zoidberg says "I'm crammed with male jelly!"

Anyway, they were delicious and the steaming and eating process was a fun and new experience.  Worth every penny. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

The only problem is that we have had an unexpected run on kits and almost everything we have is spoken for. Not sure how long it will be before some of our suppliers open up again. 

Glad this thread got back to Off Center Harbor and off of lobsters. Looking at lobster without eating it just isn't right. 

That is good problem to have Russell. I have too many projects to buy a boat kit..Mrs. Bitches would kill me if another 'project on a pallet' showed up. Someday though...some day. In the meantime, I will be brushing up on the epoxy videos..My latest epoxy experiments have been simple overdrill & fill of screw holes in the deck...pretty boring stuff.

20 hours ago, bmiller said:

Without doubt one of the finest meals I have ever enjoyed.

Maybe it was the location, maybe the perfect weather, maybe the insanely gorgeous cockpit, maybe the freshly steamed live lobster, maybe a really nice bottle of champagne. Or maybe the fact two beautiful gals allowed two less than savory dopes to enjoy their company. I don't know.

That's my favorite part. I want to do that again.

7 hours ago, Ajax said:

Sorry Russ, I'm here to report on my lobster experience.

It was fabu-tastic. @Kris Cringle was right- I got bugs that had molted and were swimming around inside their shells but there was plenty of meat. 2lb bugs are huge and 1.5 would be acceptable next time.

The claws were so sweet, the opposite of blue crabs where the body is sweet and the claws, less so.

My wife is a park ranger with a master's in biology.  She geeked the fuck out when I put the bug on her plate. "Look at these mouth parts!" and other scientific observations.  I said "are we dissecting or eating, because they're getting cold fast?"  We noticed that their claws are asymmetrical and specialized. I'm guessing one of them is a mating lure like showing off a big penis or something. 

Like Zoidberg says "I'm crammed with male jelly!"

Anyway, they were delicious and the steaming and eating process was a fun and new experience.  Worth every penny. 

The bigger fatter claw is the for crushing and holding, the smaller slimmer one is for cutting and tearing. Thats all I remember from my Camden harbor lobster boat excursion many moons ago. That and they're vicious creatures.

• Like 2

That was a great idea. I just ordered 2 lbs of lobster meat delivered to my 91 year old mom. A fish shop near her home in RI is doing it. Same price for the meat, free delivery.

20 hours ago, monsoon said:

The bigger fatter claw is the for crushing and holding, the smaller slimmer one is for cutting and tearing. Thats all I remember from my Camden harbor lobster boat excursion many moons ago. That and they're vicious creatures.

We ran our Camden Harbor Fish Market in 1998-99. Our kids knew more about lobster than we did. Sailing every harbor on the coast, they had been to every aquarium and touch tank on the coast. We had a swimming pool pump down in Camden Harbor that pumped sea water up to the store on main street. I ran a Tee off the main line to a small touch tank on the street.

They would hold shows on the street for the tourists, explaining how you tell the sex, age, shell etc. In the tank were a few crabs, live scallops (that the kids, 8 and 9 could squirt people with). As well as a few small lobsters, we usually kept a 5 pounder in that tank. We never locked it at night and as I recall, we only lost one (probably climbed out and walked to Belfast). 

They ARE vicious.

We kept a couple hundred pounds in a large tank on a back deck over the river that crashes into the harbor below. Nearly every night, the group in the tank would pick the weakest and in the morning, there would be a few pieces of shell on the bottom. They were well fed with fresh salmon or Halibut racks from fish I filleted. 

• Like 2

Lobstah Bulletin

The Fedex man came this morning with an insulated package. Dinner in 1 hour and 25 minutes, after the PBS News Hour!

Prosecco is chilling! 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_568a.thumb.jpg.ccffa6646a8b58f99283f8dc0a88bbb1.jpg

• Like 3

It was orgasmic! We had hash browns, coleslaw, and light mustard mayo sauce. We did not re-heat the lobstah, we just let it come to room temperature.

We got 2 lbs. of meat and cooked two pounds of hash browned potatoes (with onions and paprika). We consumed less than one pound of each. So we can do this again! 

You and your sweetie should do this!

• Like 2

535635193_ScreenShot2020-04-03at10_03_47PM.thumb.png.032d8ade346029285207b9234622daee.png

• Like 2

Nice job!

Mes Amis (Guys), 

The last 24 hours hours have been perfect, courtesy of Leni at Graffam Brothers, Mrs. Bull and Penelope Casas.

So, last night we had the lobstah meat å la Joe's Stone Crab of Miami, mild mayo, mustard & Worcestershire sauce, hash browns & coleslaw. I could have have died a happy man. 

Today, Mrs. Bull said "Let's go sailing!" So we did. Mrs. B made ham sandwiches and hot tea. Gorgeous spring day. Mid 60s, deep blue sky, a few puffy clouds, wind veering from NW to ENE, any where from 4 to 10. TONIC's clean bottom scooting along. Mrs. B reading her book and occasionally trimming the jib.

So when we got got home, we still had 1/2+ of lobster meat to consider. I recalled a lobstah paella recipe in my Paella cook book, by the sadly now deceased Penelope Casas. We had everything needed. Mrs. B did all of the vegetable chopping, and we cooked it up. Another orgasmic dinner, courtesy of the Maine lobsterman. Let me know if you'd like the recipe and tips:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_568b.thumb.jpg.a01a110324a474aca37a1cb78f8f632d.jpg

• Like 1

Jeeesus man, You trying to torture me? It's been days of this and always right at dinnertime.

You East coast guys get to buy Lobster by mail. Not sure about me.

Really hungry now.

2 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

Jeeesus man, You trying to torture me? It's been days of this and always right at dinnertime.

You East coast guys get to buy Lobster by mail. Not sure about me.

Really hungry now.

Isn't this when the west coasters claim that the dungeness crab is better than anything on the east coast?

11 hours ago, Bull City said:

Mes Amis (Guys), 

The last 24 hours hours have been perfect, courtesy of Leni at Graffam Brothers, Mrs. Bull and Penelope Casas.

So, last night we had the lobstah meat å la Joe's Stone Crab of Miami, mild mayo, mustard & Worcestershire sauce, hash browns & coleslaw. I could have have died a happy man. 

Today, Mrs. Bull said "Let's go sailing!" So we did. Mrs. B made ham sandwiches and hot tea. Gorgeous spring day. Mid 60s, deep blue sky, a few puffy clouds, wind veering from NW to ENE, any where from 4 to 10. TONIC's clean bottom scooting along. Mrs. B reading her book and occasionally trimming the jib.

So when we got got home, we still had 1/2+ of lobster meat to consider. I recalled a lobstah paella recipe in my Paella cook book, by the sadly now deceased Penelope Casas. We had everything needed. Mrs. B did all of the vegetable chopping, and we cooked it up. Another orgasmic dinner, courtesy of the Maine lobsterman. Let me know if you'd like the recipe and tips:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_568b.thumb.jpg.a01a110324a474aca37a1cb78f8f632d.jpg

Nice! Some thawed lobster meat went into a cold but delicious salad last night in our old house. Crusty bread dipped in olive oil, a hot asian soup.

I didn't take a pic but it would be an insult next to your Paella.

If I could forget, for just a moment,  the death and devastation unfolding during this global pandemic, I'm getting a strange sense that time is going by more slowly.

History will pack up this pandemic and I bet it will have been a corker. But right here - now, time is an odd sensation to me, like stepping off a ferris wheel. 

1781498078_Scullingcopy.jpg.695201d41861b1aec6e452d67698a0a7.jpg

The State of Maine should pay lobstermen to pack, freeze and send a pound to everyone in the world. $$ well spent. 

13 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

If I could forget, for just a moment,  the death and devastation unfolding during this global pandemic, I'm getting a strange sense that time is going by more slowly.

History will pack up this pandemic and I bet it will have been a corker. But right here - now, time is an odd sensation to me, like stepping off a ferris wheel. 

I agree, it is very strange time.

50 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Nice! Some thawed lobster meat went into a cold but delicious salad last night in our old house. Crusty bread dipped in olive oil, a hot asian soup.

I didn't take a pic but it would be an insult next to your Paella.

The State of Maine should pay lobstermen to pack, freeze and send a pound to everyone in the world. $$ well spent. 

Oh man, I just love this picture. Ever since I found the "How to Sail Oceans" channel where the guy is sailing engineless with a sculling oar, I've been fascinated by this mode of propulsion. Not to mention, the lines on that boat!  What is it?

31 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Oh man, I just love this picture. Ever since I found the "How to Sail Oceans" channel where the guy is sailing engineless with a sculling oar, I've been fascinated by this mode of propulsion. Not to mention, the lines on that boat!  What is it?

I don't know. I see some of the most amazing shots posted on Vintage and Classic, Traditional Boats that's on FB (unfortunately for some). This was there and I think it speaks volumes but I don't know the background. 

This photo was just posted. Taken in 1891, it's in the Sailing library of Congress (never knew that existed) and was colorized by the poster. 

449168950_SailingLibraryofCongressphoto1891.thumb.jpg.7ee0bb23bc1ba372b425c5154c65a176.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/5/2020 at 4:43 AM, Kris Cringle said:

I'm kinda missing the lobster feed photos, as much as I was complaining about them. Would like to know about this photo too, (the boat I mean).

8 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

I'm kinda missing the lobster feed photos, as much as I was complaining about them. Would like to know about this photo too, (the boat I mean).

I know nothing about boat or sculler. I grabbed the photo from Friends of Vintage, Classic and Traditional Boats, on FB. This shot of a Hinckley was just posted there. 

93250590_10207132677911530_8315892550116

This was Fourth of July on our harbor last season. Of note, my daughter holding the lobsters, escaped Brooklyn NY and has been working remotely from upstate with a few friends for weeks. My sister in law (in the white), a marathon runner in her 50's, is just now recovering from more than 14 days in one bedroom in their Brooklyn brownstone. Her husband, also afflicted by the virus slept in the living room. Their 2 teenage boys luckily (so far), haven't been afflicted. 

Our "Harbor-ques", as we call them, may never be the same.  

1568355071_4thofJulyHarborque2019lobsters.thumb.jpg.0249cf5fa0d6c409de1ae8017e7e112f.jpg

37 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I know nothing about boat or sculler. I grabbed the photo from Friends of Vintage, Classic and Traditional Boats, on FB. This shot of a Hinckley was just posted there. 

93250590_10207132677911530_8315892550116

This was Fourth of July on our harbor last season. Of note, my daughter holding the lobsters, escaped Brooklyn NY and has been working remotely from upstate with a few friends for weeks. My sister in law (in the white), a marathon runner in her 50's, is just now recovering from more than 14 days in one bedroom in their Brooklyn brownstone. Her husband, also afflicted by the virus slept in the living room. Their 2 teenage boys luckily (so far), haven't been afflicted. 

Our "Harbor-ques", as we call them, may never be the same.  

1568355071_4thofJulyHarborque2019lobsters.thumb.jpg.0249cf5fa0d6c409de1ae8017e7e112f.jpg

I think we will return to these days.  Cherished friends may be missing,  we may be a little more cautious but we'll gather again. 

• Like 1