MikeR80

Laser Hiking Bench Options?

I've recently had shoulder surgery and can't sail, thus am bringing the venerable suffer-fest known as laser sailing into my home gym.

As far as hiking benches, I dont have time to build one, what are the best pre-fabricated one?

Anybody tried the dynamic dolies bench?

Less than $10 and adjustable 

9D9692B6-46CD-455B-930C-87088ED70CBA.jpeg

• Like 3

$365 ?? Give me a fucking break! Sailors are getting soft if they can’t throw together a bench out of scrap lumber or an old hull. Save your money for carbon spars.....or hand sanitizer and toilet paper.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tink said:

Less than $10 and adjustable 

9D9692B6-46CD-455B-930C-87088ED70CBA.jpeg

I'll give you $20 + shipping for that! PM me where to send the $

• Like 1

btw, tink, did you mean $100? the rooster strap, blocks and lines i see there are at least $100

I'm not a fan of these.  I think being on a hard, unmoving surface is not at all boat like and could possibly cause an injury.  Do wall sits and core exorcises 

Really, Robbie? I think laser sailing is much more likely to cause injury than a hiking bench... think about it.  Its like going for a trail run on Mt Tam vs running on a treadmill, the trail run is far more likely to cause injury, because of all the dynamic forces at play that are stagnate on a treadmill. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

Really, Robbie? I think laser sailing is much more likely to cause injury than a hiking bench... think about it.  Its like going for a trail run on Mt Tam vs running on a treadmill, the trail run is far more likely to cause injury, because of all the dynamic forces at play that are stagnate on a treadmill. 

There's truth to that for sure.  I just think, (just my personal opinion) the bench can as well.  Why increase the odds?  

2 hours ago, RobbieB said:

I'm not a fan of these.  I think being on a hard, unmoving surface is not at all boat like and could possibly cause an injury.  Do wall sits and core exorcises 

I strongly agree with RobbieB , unless you are under 30, light and in incredible shape already. The stresses on the joints, the increase in blood pressure  and associated hiking stresses should be limited to when you you are sailing ( hopefully a lot anyway ). Otherwise, build up all the hiking muscles ( quads , hip , core and their antagonist muscles )with strength training and ride your bike (along with your stretching, massage, foam rollering, etc, etc . this sailing stuff is tuff on the old bod ).    

28 minutes ago, surf nazi said:

I strongly agree with RobbieB , unless you are under 30, light and in incredible shape already. The stresses on the joints, the increase in blood pressure  and associated hiking stresses should be limited to when you you are sailing ( hopefully a lot anyway ). Otherwise, build up all the hiking muscles ( quads , hip , core and their antagonist muscles )with strength training and ride your bike (along with your stretching, massage, foam rollering, etc, etc . this sailing stuff is tuff on the old bod ).    

I think it is a very clever design, and, if I were to take this path, I would pay the money rather than go with the MacGyver. But I am in agreement with Robbie and surf Nazi on the stresses on the body - especially for the Grand Master+ crowd...

19 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

btw, tink, did you mean $100? the rooster strap, blocks and lines i see there are at least $100

The hardware is from the spare box and not part of the $10

2 hours ago, surf nazi said:

Unless you’re heavily overweight and sat on the couch for twenty years you will be fine using a hiking bench alongside flexibility training and other exercise. My hiking while sailing as improved since building and the bench. 

PS very close to 55 years 

2 hours ago, Bill5 said:

I think it is a very clever design, and, if I were to take this path, I would pay the money rather than go with the MacGyver. But I am in agreement with Robbie and surf Nazi on the stresses on the body - especially for the Grand Master+ crowd...

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/6889927_Indicators_of_maximal_hiking_performance_in_Laser_sailors

1 hour ago, Bill5 said:

Just as I suspected:

image.thumb.png.1ca77e999c21148339b9b589abdc46da.png

Duh! 

4 hours ago, Tink said:

Unless you’re heavily overweight and sat on the couch for twenty years you will be fine using a hiking bench alongside flexibility training and other exercise. My hiking while sailing as improved since building and the bench. 

Truth.

5 hours ago, Tink said:

what are some good laser masters stretches and home gym training regimes?

Reach for a bottle of rum. Repeat.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

what are some good laser masters stretches and home gym training regimes?

I did "21 Day Beach Body" , (an on line workout program w/video).  When I see what the Laser trainer folks recommend it was ALL in the 21 day program.

It whipped me into shape pretty quickly.  The Yoga part is great for active stretch stuff.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bill5 said:

Just as I suspected:

image.thumb.png.1ca77e999c21148339b9b589abdc46da.png

F'me.  I was an English major.....

20 hours ago, Tink said:

You are wrong. You could say " you may be fine using a hiking bench " , you can't say "you will be fine " . Well, you can say it, but you'd be wrong, your experience notwithstanding.   

1 hour ago, surf nazi said:

You are wrong. You could say " you may be fine using a hiking bench " , you can't say "you will be fine " . Well, you can say it, but you'd be wrong, your experience notwithstanding.   

It is all so sailor-specific. I am in good shape, but have problematic knees and shoulders. As such, my focus is on strengthening around those areas and trying to develop as much flexibility as possible. Hiking does not bother my knees at all. But crouching and getting in "the downwind position" can be a big problem. Shoulders are OK - unless I dump and have to reach up to get on the centerboard. I also have some sloppiness in my brain at times while racing, for which I have yet to find a remedy.

I've had plans on my desktop for ages to build one.  I need to do that as I would go to regattas and not be able to last hiking as long as so many others.

hiking-bench-specs.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, surf nazi said:

Semantics, I have damaged my body a fair bit in the past 55 years and had to build up the use of the bench with stretching. It is your body and you have to work to your limits. I plan to sail dinghies for another good twenty years and fitness is critical to that plan.

If using a hiking bench is going to be too much you certainly shouldn’t only hike when sailing like you propose in post 10, simply not a good plan that may lead to injury.

Yes hiking benches are considerably more demanding than actually sailing. I have discussed this with a top Team GBR sports scientist and the Olympians find hiking benches considerably harder than sailing and spend considerably less time on them than they would sailing. 

I’m not saying hours on the bench, I started with 3 x 1 minute sets 3 times a week and as I said it has improved me hiking and I think protects me from injury while sailing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bill5 said:

It is all so sailor-specific. I am in good shape, but have problematic knees and shoulders. As such, my focus is on strengthening around those areas and trying to develop as much flexibility as possible. Hiking does not bother my knees at all. But crouching and getting in "the downwind position" can be a big problem. Shoulders are OK - unless I dump and have to reach up to get on the centerboard. I also have some sloppiness in my brain at times while racing, for which I have yet to find a remedy.

Yep.  Light air crouching is a killer for my knees.  Always have to make sure I keep my toes in a "pigeon toe" position to keep pressure off my knees.  I can feel them start to tweak if I get my feet point out.  Same with shoulder.  

On 3/26/2020 at 4:36 PM, Bill5 said:

About the same, I find it perplexing that many designs in the past 20/30 years have failed to consider light airs and downwind, kneeling simply is not an option, uncomfortable and unable to be dynamic 

Check out this Vid of Rodney Pattison on the !968 games. All interesting and from 6.50min onwards pictures of hiking benches

1 hour ago, Dart96 said:

Check out this Vid of Rodney Pattison on the !968 games. All interesting and from 6.50min onwards pictures of hiking benches

1min 50ish for me. Rodneys bio publishing last year , very interesting insight into sailing back in the late 60s to mid 70s 

On 3/25/2020 at 9:50 PM, Bill5 said:

Reach for a bottle of rum. Repeat.

Here's my cheap and cheerful hiking bench suggestion. The beauty of the ball is that it has natural movement to it (like whilst sailing), and isn't static (and painful) like a hard bench.  But gotta admit Bill, having a glass of rum within reach is preferred over the beer.

• Like 6

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:04 PM, aroy210677 said:

Here's my cheap and cheerful hiking bench suggestion. The beauty of the ball is that it has natural movement to it (like whilst sailing), and isn't static (and painful) like a hard bench.  But gotta admit Bill, having a glass of rum within reach is preferred over the beer.

I tried the ball today - it works great! I also tried one of those beanbag footstools and it worked very well, too. I tucked a 15k resistance band under my feet and effectively had a mainsheet in either hand to work. I then set a small stool beside me to place my rum.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 11:04 PM, aroy210677 said:

Very nice!

• Like 2

aroy: how is that strap secured?

I set mine up in my basement. Tied one end to a support post and the other to a frame in a storage shelf. I was just using it. Thighs caught fire in short order...

On 3/25/2020 at 9:42 AM, RobbieB said:

How about this:

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 9:37 AM, dgmckim said:

How about this:

Pretty cool.  What does he do to practice on port tack?

3 hours ago, RobbieB said:

That's for death roll practice

4 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Move it to the other end of the verandah of course, no brainer...lol.

4 hours ago, RobbieB said:

he has another boat for that. these pro setups, very posh.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dgmckim said:

he has another boat for that. these pro setups, very posh.

Probably on the other end of the porch

4 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Probably on the other end of the porch

he also has one port and one starboard boat from each of the manufacturers that might provide charter boats

On 4/6/2020 at 5:50 AM, RobbieB said:

He looks to the left

• Like 1