So all of Australia turned on the TV at 9:20 last night to be told we can't play football in the park or go to your Niece's 1st birthday party (Prime Minister's words not mine).

What a fucking joke.

1. Kids are like rats the disease might not have a big effect on them but they can pass it on.
2. Schools are under funded and crowded.  Do the math kids shouldn't be at school.
3. why was the first stimulus payment given to the un-employed and pensioners? There was no real change in the cost of living during this situation.  That money should have gone to businesses to help pay holiday leave.

what should have been said last night.

Schools are closed to kids as of now.
-Teachers to continue at school for a week to develop remote learning packages
-Teachers to continue to get paid during closure to administer remote learning

All non-essential shops to close as of now.
-Land lords not allowed to charge rent during shut down period
-mortgage holders not allowed to charge mortgages or apply interest. to loans.
-hairdresser is not an essential business.

Non-essential businesses to be encouraged to close down or at least minimize work by subsidizing leave payments. 
-Land lords not allowed to charge rent during shut down period where business has shut down
-mortgage holders not allowed to charge mortgages or apply interest to loans.
-social distancing to be built into worksafe laws and made an offence if not applied

All loans to be made interest free for the period of the shut down.
-Government to cut cash rate to -0.25 for period of shut down meaning banks and lends will be making money anyway

Domestic rent to be stopped for period of shut down.

Borders closed to everyone (citizen or not) in 7 days
-that's enough time for people to gt home if they choose (good luck finding an airline).

Business that don't shut down won't be eligible beyond loan/rent as mentioned above for assistance if COV19 appears in any part of their work force and they have to shut down later.

Well this is what happens when a govt gets it wrong and allows a massive demonstration to occur on March 8 in the country’s most populous city knowing that there is already a high infectious deadly virus circulating. 700 confirmed cases on the day on this demonstration. 

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-03-24/madrid-starts-using-ice-rink-as-morgue-for-coronavirus-victims.html?ssm=FB_CM_EN&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1585046772

.. the problem with just closing all the schools, is it forces parts of the workforce to shut down.  What about all the health care workers who have young children?  They now stay at home, too ?

What's happening (in NSW at least), is that school is 'stay at home if you can'.  My son's HS is < 10% attendance at the moment.   Seems like a pretty good compromise.

Every business shut down is a bigger recession.  We'll all be paying taxes for this for decades.

There are no perfect solutions in this situation. I reckon the grubbinment is making a pretty good fist of it in Aus.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

What's happening (in NSW at least), is that school is 'stay at home if you can'.  My son's HS is < 10% attendance at the moment.   Seems like a pretty good compromise.

The thing is this is counter to the government's message which is that it is safe to send kids to school.  Yes there will be ifs, buts and solutions that need to be found with regards to caring for some kids.  But they're the minority not the majority.

The message re schools is a total mess.  But that's because the State's can't agree, probably because there's no "right" answer and everyone's settling for what they think is the "best" answer ("least worst" in this case).

But for pity's sake, can we please leave the hairdressers open!

• Like 1

Nothing on your list about keeping people off your lawn. Por que ?

6 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

Nothing on your list about keeping people off your lawn. Por que ?

we don't have guns in our house holds so there isn't much Australians can do to keep people off our lawns.

Good news is I have a big dog.

22 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

The message re schools is a total mess.  But that's because the State's can't agree, probably because there's no "right" answer and everyone's settling for what they think is the "best" answer ("least worst" in this case).

But for pity's sake, can we please leave the hairdressers open!

This is a very good point.

The federation model in Aus does not allow the feds to impose any laws restricting schooling, gatherings, etc.  This is all the responsibility of the states.

People seem to misunderstand that, and blame Scotty.

38 minutes ago, duncan (the other one) said:

People  ......... blame Scotty.

And on that point, both my wife and I (affirmed Scotty dislikers) thought he came across well last night - probably undoubtedly the first time ever I have awarded him points for well done.  There is hope yet.

Geeze, I'm glad we don't have that fucking idiot the seppos brought upon themselves.

• Like 2

The point is if Scotty can't control schools he shouldn't actually be claiming to.  The school related section should have been "as already mentioned the virus is effecting states in very different ways and what is relevant to one won't be to another.  This is especially the case with school closures which by necessity must be left in the hands of the individual stage governments."

4 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Scomo never mentioned that Brothels must close, only RnT. Does that make them an essential service?

:ph34r:

Only in Canberra

8 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Only in Canberra

In Strasbourg France, the EU Parliament sits there something like 2 days a month. The whole Parliament transfers there from Brussels (Dumb arse pandering to the French EU stupidity) and it is also inundated with hookers for those days. 

Sorry Scomo can't control the French Brothels, our constitution doesn't allow it.

The real problem, and I think source of much confusion, is the delay between messages.

The states meet and agree on a course of action, Scotty announces it, but then it takes the states a day to get their shit together and put the public health order in place.

NSW still hasn't updated theirs, as of midday today: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/pho-covid-19-gatherings.aspx

waxing salons to close. shit's gunna get hairy

• Like 2

4 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

The real problem, and I think source of much confusion, is the delay between messages.

The states meet and agree on a course of action, Scotty announces it, but then it takes the states a day to get their shit together and put the public health order in place.

NSW still hasn't updated theirs, as of midday today: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/pho-covid-19-gatherings.aspx

Tick tock - almost 4pm and still no change to the laws.

17 minutes ago, thetruth said:

Do you want to borrow Jacinda AGAIN?

Bloody oath!  But to be fair, we'll give you Scotty in return ... and Dutton, and that South African prick, and, and ...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

So all of Australia turned on the TV at 9:20 last night to be told we can't play football in the park or go to your Niece's 1st birthday party (Prime Minister's words not mine).

What a fucking joke.

Looking at the world comparison

Australia experienced the highest number of initial cases outside Asia in late January, one of the first to start a test/trace and isolate/treat strategy with a test rate today the second highest per capita in the world and instigated a "suppression" strategy early, including one of the first to close/restrict borders, only one to date to close internal borders moving to "lock-down" this week. 

Australia's Scorecard

- 65%/80% of the the US/UK's confirmed cases per capita

-  1/14th of the UK's and 1/5th of the US's deaths per population.

- 1/13th the UK's and 1/3rd the US's case fatality rate.

- Italy well say no more.

- Do the maths on number of ICU beds in Australia and expected cases requiring ICU.

Australia could have easily followed the US and UK by repeating Italy's mistakes of fumbling early in the contagion when it most mattered. They both initially sought to try and preserve both basic civil liberties as well as the economy and pushed saving lives onto the backburner, a fatal mistake.

ScoMo gets my vote.

5 hours ago, thetruth said:

Do you want to borrow Jacinda AGAIN?

Nope, piano mouth and Wintson are all yours. Hugs all round.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

ScoMo gets my vote.

Would LB do a better job?

But fuck me, you gotta love this place the same fuckwits that claim they could do a mainsail change on a 100fter a night while it's blowing 50kts are also pandemic experts. Who wooda thunk it?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

But fuck me, you gotta love this place the same fuckwits that claim they could do a mainsail change on a 100fter a night while it's blowing 50kts are also pandemic experts. Who wooda thunk it?

Haven't seen any pandemic experts here? Seen some that understand data though. Your contribution very valuable ..keep it up.

39 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

It’s a multi talented pool here! :P

1 minute ago, mad said:

It’s a multi talented pool here! :P

Yes indeed..Finn just shared a Chinese Bat Soup Recipe with his FaceFuck friends as being the cause of this pandemic.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes indeed..Finn just shared a Chinese Bat Soup Recipe with his FaceFuck friends as being the cause of this pandemic.

That’s a ridiculous idea...........

Everybody knows it’s a CIA op that went of the rails. 

23 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

What a fucking joke.

1. Kids are like rats the disease might not have a big effect on them but they can pass it on.
2. Schools are under funded and crowded.  Do the math kids shouldn't be at school.
3. why was the first stimulus payment given to the un-employed and pensioners? There was no real change in the cost of living during this situation.  That money should have gone to businesses to help pay holiday leave.

what should have been said last night.

Schools are closed to kids as of now.
-Teachers to continue at school for a week to develop remote learning packages
-Teachers to continue to get paid during closure to administer remote learning

All non-essential shops to close as of now.
-Land lords not allowed to charge rent during shut down period
-mortgage holders not allowed to charge mortgages or apply interest. to loans.
-hairdresser is not an essential business.

Non-essential businesses to be encouraged to close down or at least minimize work by subsidizing leave payments. 
-Land lords not allowed to charge rent during shut down period where business has shut down
-mortgage holders not allowed to charge mortgages or apply interest to loans.
-social distancing to be built into worksafe laws and made an offence if not applied

All loans to be made interest free for the period of the shut down.
-Government to cut cash rate to -0.25 for period of shut down meaning banks and lends will be making money anyway

Domestic rent to be stopped for period of shut down.

Borders closed to everyone (citizen or not) in 7 days
-that's enough time for people to gt home if they choose (good luck finding an airline).

Business that don't shut down won't be eligible beyond loan/rent as mentioned above for assistance if COV19 appears in any part of their work force and they have to shut down later.

I agree with all but the last para. Yes businesses that are not essential should be closed but you can’t hold a business responsible for the actions of one staff member! And before you accuse me I was one of the first people in the country to voluntarily close my business to protect my staff and customers. Being in business is not a crime dipshit.

9 hours ago, FinnFish said:

As it happens I am out of work at the moment so ready to rule as soon as I get the call. I will be running the country from my boat where I am now in isolation from my own family due to their Biosecurity breaches. 

My cabinet can meet seated in dinghies an appropriate distance apart. Lydia will be my attorney general and I will make Randumb the minister for toilet paper and misinformation. If you have any canned beetroot I would eat it now because one of my first acts will be banning that shit. 

I will be holding regular press conferences - limiting the numbers of course. The ABC and the Guardian will both be banned but Alan Jones will be let in so that if anyone needs to sneeze rather that use their elbow they can use that insane old cunt.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I agree with all but the last para. Yes businesses that are not essential should be closed but you can’t hold a business responsible for the actions of one staff member! And before you accuse me I was one of the first people in the country to voluntarily close my business to protect my staff and customers. Being in business is not a crime dipshit.

Re-read what I said.  I'm not saying that businesses that keep operating should be punished if a case crops up just that they won't be eligible for proposed benefits created to support people who shut down.  You either shut down and get the support designed for people who do so or you continue to try and make money and what happens happens.  There is a carrot here but no stick, all I've done is limited how long you have to get access to the carrot.

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

You either shut down and get the support designed for people who do so or you continue to try and make money and what happens happens. 

It can't work exactly that way either. Some businesses currently rated "essential" are just as affected as everyone else. There's a big difference in going for rent relief if you've been ordered to shut by the government (e.g. nail salon, bar, etc.) vs shutting of your own accord for health, OHS or loss of trade (e.g. most retail shops). Business interruption cover likely does not cover pandemic, typically it works only on disaster scenarios (destruction of building, loss of access, etc.).

Issues with commercial leases are summarised here: https://hallandwilcox.com.au/thinking/covid-19-business-interruption-advice-for-landlords-and-tenants/

Businesses like dry cleaners are in a real pickle. They won't be ordered to close no matter how bad it gets because they're usually seen as an essential service. For the vast majority, trade has been slashed by 80 to 90% and if there's a general lockdown, maybe 100%. The argument is that they're essential for cleaning emergency services uniforms, hospital laundry, etc. but ES staff don't get their clothes dry cleaned (any with reflective tape can't be dry cleaned, it ruins the tape) and very few dry cleaners have health–related contracts as it's a specialty field. Even laundry is hugely reduced as people are staying home and have plenty of time to do it themselves, even if they have the money to pay someone else to do it for them.

The rent issue isn't that simple. Any government action on rent relief has to be nuanced, which of course takes time, thought and a lot of effort to implement, not to mention good will of those affected. The government has to provide direction through policy and leave it up to individual businesses to work things out. 

E.g. Where a business is:

1. Closed by order: 100% rent relief for period of forced closure
  2. Severely affected by C-19: rent reduction to the proportion of effect on the business, which can be calculated pretty easily from BAS returns or other means if BAS isn't suitable for a particular business. This:
    1. provides a guiding principle for businesses when deciding to stay open or close
    2. gives the business leverage when negotiating with a landlord and
    3. means if a business choses to close for a valid C–19 reason they have the same protection as one closed by order
  3. Facing eviction due to C-19: no evictions while any class of business (i.e. not just the class of business facing eviction) are closed by order

That's probably not prefect either, but I think gives businesses a chance to make good decisions and protect them from predatory landlords, while not allowing rouges to profit excessively from the situation.

• Like 2

My gut feeling is the fact it can’t be solveD in a 200 word statement is why we’re not in 100% lock down now.  There will be a whole lot of background work and negotiation at the big end of town to “try” and create a system that not only works health wise but also from an economic point of view.  They need a system where no-one but the government looses that also leaves the nation in a situation where it can trade itself out of debt in less than 100 years.

I my complaint is I don’t feel like the planing and negotiations really started much more than 2 weeks ago.

We had our wedding scheduled for early April - had 20-30 people coming from kiwi land - Jacinda, sorted that out first with isolation on the return, then ScoMo trumped that with isolation this side when incoming ...

we pulled the pin on the reception, but decided to still go ahead with the ceremony as our local guests were still keen - fuck the Rona

then the other night that all got canned - now we are at 5 people

funny thing is that from the outset, we always joked about having something small and intimate - we've now got that sorted!

but, ... fuck the Rona, were still going ahead 

• Like 1

Scarecrow, your rant is too simplistic work.  There are too nuances that have to be worked through.  I suspect the real reason for the rant is you hate the Coalition and you had hoped Labor would have won the election last year.  Hence your comments "the big end of town" straight out of the mouth of Shorten.

18 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Scarecrow, your rant is too simplistic work.  There are too nuances that have to be worked through.  I suspect the real reason for the rant is you hate the Coalition and you had hoped Labor would have won the election last year.  Hence your comments "the big end of town" straight out of the mouth of Shorten.

of course its to simple to work, we're on a sailing forum.  Funny comment about you assumptions from my using "big end of town", I own two small businesses and have never voted labour in my life.  Of course the government is going to talk to the big banks etc when coming up with policies.  A times like this they can't just "hope" the lenders etc will respond how they want them to (ie what never happens when they drop the cash rate), they have to talk to them and make sure they will.

OK time to own up....which of you free thinker cunts has shared the Chinese Bat Soup Vid and 5G rollout ConVid conspiracy with your FaceFuck friends?

ET0A9UyXsAAJVzK.jpeg.d9ed306c42ab8cfc4f2238ee8e5c5a8c.jpeg

IMG_20200324_220259.jpg.983fbdd1e8437de1d2f520c48ef3d772.jpg

31 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

OK time to own up....which of you free thinker cunts has shared the Chinese Bat Soup Vid and 5G rollout ConVid conspiracy with your FaceFuck friends?

appears it was just you

8 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

My gut feeling is the fact it can’t be solveD in a 200 word statement is why we’re not in 100% lock down now.  There will be a whole lot of background work and negotiation at the big end of town to “try” and create a system that not only works health wise but also from an economic point of view.  They need a system where no-one but the government looses that also leaves the nation in a situation where it can trade itself out of debt in less than 100 years.

I my complaint is I don’t feel like the planing and negotiations really started much more than 2 weeks ago.

Your gut feeling and how many years of medical training?

18 minutes ago, FinnFish said:

Your gut feeling and how many years of medical training?

I had three med student flatmates at uni. 20 years ago does that count? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

I had three med student flatmates at uni. 20 years ago does that count? 

Definitely, call the Chief Medical Officer he's waiting by the phone. If you can you make balloons from surgical gloves you're hired.

A second Chinese property company based in Sydney flew more than 80 tonnes of medical supplies on a corporate jet to Wuhan in late February, at the time coronavirus was devastating the regional city.

Sneaky fucken rice burners.

• Like 1

Sending your kids to school is optional here... apparently the skateboard parks are packed with the little disease carriers...

• Like 1

I am told that the local council has woken up, and closed the skateboard parks now. Need to start beating the parents around the head with sticks tho'

On 3/26/2020 at 12:17 PM, SCARECROW said:

Here's some figures:

24 million people in Australia. If we take a few basic precautions = 60% infection rate and 1% fatality amongst those = 144,000 or 0.6% of the population.

Now, most of these 144,000 people are very old and/or have serious health issues and wouldn't have lived another 12 months anyway.

Who thinks that locking up the other 99.4% of the population, ruining their livelihoods and crashing the economy is a good idea?

Just so some very elderly and sick people can live a few more (often miserable and painful) months?

Somewhat akin to burning your house down to get rid of a small termite infestation.

Perhaps identifying as many of the 0.6% as possible and protecting them would be a better idea. It hasn't been tried.

• Like 1

Jesus, you sound like total Nazi, why dont you save time and round them up and chuck them in ovens right now you cunt

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, toad said:

Jesus, you sound like total Nazi, why dont you save time and round them up and chuck them in ovens right now you cunt

Really? The "Nazi " comeback shows that you aren't too bright.

The Spanish flu picked off the young and healthy. This one picks off the old and sick.

You must have missed the bit where I said we should identify and protect this group.

You have learning difficulties?

BTW, my mother is 96 and in the care unit of a rest home. She is vulnerable.

I still don't think this is worth panicking to the stage where we trash the world economy.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:27 PM, DanimalNZ said:

We had our wedding scheduled for early April - had 20-30 people coming from kiwi land - Jacinda, sorted that out first with isolation on the return, then ScoMo trumped that with isolation this side when incoming ...

we pulled the pin on the reception, but decided to still go ahead with the ceremony as our local guests were still keen - fuck the Rona

funny thing is that from the outset, we always joked about having something small and intimate - we've now got that sorted!

Cut each other's hair and you can have 1000... but in reality, I attended a wedding the other week, and no one will ever forget it as the most awkward avent ever -  everything done right, but try social distancing at such an event! 

On 3/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, SCARECROW said:

we don't have guns in our house holds so there isn't much Australians can do to keep people off our lawns.

Good news is I have a big dog.

Australian’s have 500m2(1/8th acre) house blocks. Once you put a house and a sidewalk down there’s not much room for lawn. The lawn that’s in front of the house is owned by the Crown. Most people maintain it. Anyone can and does park on it since it’s public property. 

On 3/25/2020 at 6:50 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Looking at the world comparison

Australia experienced the highest number of initial cases outside Asia in late January, one of the first to start a test/trace and isolate/treat strategy with a test rate today the second highest per capita in the world and instigated a "suppression" strategy early, including one of the first to close/restrict borders, only one to date to close internal borders moving to "lock-down" this week. 

Australia's Scorecard

- 65%/80% of the the US/UK's confirmed cases per capita

-  1/14th of the UK's and 1/5th of the US's deaths per population.

- 1/13th the UK's and 1/3rd the US's case fatality rate.

- Italy well say no more.

- Do the maths on number of ICU beds in Australia and expected cases requiring ICU.

Australia could have easily followed the US and UK by repeating Italy's mistakes of fumbling early in the contagion when it most mattered. They both initially sought to try and preserve both basic civil liberties as well as the economy and pushed saving lives onto the backburner, a fatal mistake.

ScoMo gets my vote.

ScoMo has little to do with it. The people in charge: AUCDC, Dept. of Health, Medicare and a group of real experts had a meeting. Then they told Scotty and Parliament what was happening and what the government would do about it. 

The politicians did what they are good at:  Spending money. They have dealt with the financial issues. The other guys have dealt with the health & science shite. 

In my opinion, Australia is doing a very good job at managing a huge multivariable problem. 

Scotty(not a fan)has impressed us with his articulate explanations and fair non-evasive question taking. I’d consider Hunt for PM. 

Currently, per capita Adelaide is the most tested city in the world.

Some smart guys in Melbourne have developed a 15 minute Corona test that looks like a pregnancy test. 

Give the fuckers a break. Be thankful that our government let’s the smartest guys in the room make decisions when the shite hits the fan. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dorydude said:

Now, most of these 144,000 people are very old and/or have serious health issues and wouldn't have lived another 12 months anyway.

Just so some very elderly and sick people can live a few more (often miserable and painful) months?

Somewhat akin to burning your house down to get rid of a small termite infestation.

Really go tell that to those with kids..young and middle aged parents who have it ..hope you get it cunt 

ETRSdK5WAAcKYpS.jpeg.de53d11824e9648f8772408b9fe1ec46.jpeg

11 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

right -- so the trashing of the economy won't cost any lives?

You have been trained over your lifetime to bow at the altar of the stock market with its high priest economists, as a reward for your fealty you have been given a few crumbs as long as you don't question the system.

Here we are in the middle of a crisis that will kill vast numbers of Australians who by the way are the engine of the economy and the supposed reason for the economy, yet here you are saying let them die because they are old or .1 percent of some number? Reduced to numbers and statistics its easy to kill people- whether by omission or commission.

Every wondered how normal people standby and let their armies prosecute endless wars against poor people or commit genocide? It's the easy banality of it that always surprises me.

Every considered the possibility that since the US fed can make 14 trillion available overnight or that govts around the world can suddenly find vast sums of money that perhaps the system isn't quite what you think it is and can look after the little guy instead of the elite?

a-screenshot-of-a-cell-phone-description-automati-510x307.png.70e3c346ab04e19a536b98a612e14eae.png

So who's economy should we rescue?  

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Really go tell that to those with kids..young and middle aged parents who have it ..hope you get it cunt 

ETRSdK5WAAcKYpS.jpeg.de53d11824e9648f8772408b9fe1ec46.jpeg

You do realise that seasonal flu kills young people as well? Welcome to reality.....cunt.

There are also young people with cancer and other diseases that mess with their immune systems. These are the group that I proposed we identify and protect, rather than shut countries down to protect 0.008% of under 20 year olds.

If you could understand the figures in the right hand column, you would realise that the percentage risk is minute. 

Also realise that these figures are way too high as there has been very limited testing of populations and mild/ asymptomatic cases haven't been counted.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:09 PM, jack_sparrow said:

No just this one.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, DanimalNZ said:

Weddings are nothing more than a very complicated and expensive way to start a Holiday. But congratulations never the less,

4 hours ago, dorydude said:

You do realise that seasonal flu kills young people as well? Welcome to reality.....cunt.

There are also young people with cancer and other diseases that mess with their immune systems. These are the group that I proposed we identify and protect, rather than shut countries down to protect 0.008% of under 20 year olds.

If you could understand the figures in the right hand column, you would realise that the percentage risk is minute. 

Also realise that these figures are way too high as there has been very limited testing of populations and mild/ asymptomatic cases haven't been counted.

The right hand column is the body bag count after treatment, it is not a fatality risk factor before treatment moron.

You obviously haven't a fucking clue about the general and ICU/ventilator bed count in Australia, the expected number requiring hospitalisation and ICU ratio. Work that out and you might shut the fuck up, but I somehow doubt that.

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No just this one.

Fucking disgraceful.....

so glad my daughter is off the formula now so we can concentrate on finding TP.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The right hand column is the body bag count after treatment, it is not a fatality risk factor before treatment moron.

You obviously haven't a fucking clue about the general and ICU/ventilator bed count in Australia, the expected number requiring hospitalisation and ICU ratio. Work that out and you might shut the fuck up, but I somehow doubt that.

I actually have a very good idea, dickhead. I have a very close friend running a major hospital.

I am also very well aware that shutting the economy down will do fuck all except make ICUs a little less hectic for a month or so. While I sympathise with their plight, they are in no worse position than the volunteer firefighters were late last year.

Whatever you say, the risk to healthy people under 50 is minimal.  Again, killing the economy ain't worth it.

Sure , close the country's borders, strictly quarantine anyone from overseas and isolate those who test positive or in a high risk group. Then leave the rest of the country to get on with their (social distancing) lives.

10 minutes ago, dorydude said:

Whatever you say, the risk to healthy people under 50 is minimal.  Again, killing the economy ain't worth it.

Let me guess - you are under 50?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Let me guess - you are under 50?

Well over, actually. What does it matter?

We have made major lifestyle changes without being stupid. Still play a bit of golf and take the boat out , but no socialising, bars, restaurants etc....and prepared to keep doing it.

Just now, dorydude said:

Well over, actually. What does it matter?

I just got the impression that you were one of those sensitive souls who think the economy is so important that anyone over, say 50, should be pleased to be sacrificed to save it.

Or do you set the threshold a little higher?  Where do you think the line should be drawn?

25 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

I just got the impression that you were one of those sensitive souls who think the economy is so important that anyone over, say 50, should be pleased to be sacrificed to save it.

Or do you set the threshold a little higher?  Where do you think the line should be drawn?

You clearly haven't read my posts.

All along I have stated that "at risk" groups should be identified, informed and protected if necessary. I haven't suggested sacrificing anyone.

You are losing sight of the fact that this is just a bad  flu. It joins a group of four or five corona viruses that do the rounds every year. It's not the fucking bubonic plague!

We have flu seasons every year and it picks off nearly a million people globally. We don't shut down the planet and crash the economy every flu season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dorydude said:

actually have a very good idea, dickhead. I have a very close friend running a major hospital.

So nothing on your right column fatality risk shit anymore??? 

A close hospital friend. If that the case you are even a bigger moron than I thought.

I am also very well aware that shutting the economy down will do fuck all except make ICUs a little less hectic for a month or so. While I sympathise with their plight, they are in no worse position than the volunteer firefighters were late last year.

So it is the workload on medical staff you think is driving this, not ICU bed/Vent demand exceeding capacity. You draw the parallel with firefighters. What about the person who needs to be on a ventilator to stay alive while being treated? Let me guess they are like trees and property? 

Risk to people under 50 is minimal? Maybe you should take that up with the experts who say otherwise. 

Sure , close the country's borders, strictly quarantine anyone from overseas and isolate those who test positive or in a high risk group. Then leave the rest of the country to get on with their (social distancing) lives.

So don't suppress beyond social distancing and anyone who tests positive gets isolated, not treated as hospital capacity is overwhelmed. Are you in a competition for picking Australian fatalities and you draw out of the hat was a really high number?

As I said, your response not unexpected. Really glad your not running the show.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

11 minutes ago, dorydude said:

You are losing sight of the fact that this is just a bad  flu.

^^^^^^^^^^

ETfVDc5WkAQj6VE.jpeg.4d7250c88d023ae578268576b67ad9ee.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dorydude said:

You clearly haven't read my posts.

All along I have stated that "at risk" groups should be identified, informed and protected if necessary. I haven't suggested sacrificing anyone.

You are losing sight of the fact that this is a bad  flu. It joins a group of four or five corona viruses that do the rounds every year. It's not the fucking bubonic plague!

We have flu seasons every year and it picks off nearly a million people globally. We don't shut down the planet and crash the economy every flu season.

Apologies if I haven't recognised your posts.  But I don't think I'm losing sight of anything.  I am not a medical expert, but I have just today been working to implement further travel restrictions that are considered necessary by Chief Health Officers around the country.  If your expertise exceeds theirs, I wonder why you aren't in charge of the pandemic - oh, sorry, everyday event.

There would be a lot of people in Italy and Spain who couldn't give a fuck about your concern for the economy, as they mourn their dead family members.  

And I am in the category that probably wouldn't be triaged to receive a ventilator, so you'll have to excuse me if I think you are being a cunt.

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

If that the case your are even a bigger moron than I thought.

So it is the workload on medical staff you think is driving this, not ICU bed/Vent demand exceeding capacity. You d onraw the parallel with firefighters. What about the person who needs to be on a ventilator to stay alive while being treated? Let me guess they are like trees and property? 

Risk to people under 50 is minimal? Maybe you should take that up with the experts who say otherwise. 

So don't suppress beyond social distancing and anyone who tests positive gets isolated, not treated as hospital capacity is overwhelmed. Are you in a competition for picking Australian fatalities and you draw out of the hat was a really high number?

As I said, your response not unexpected. Really glad your not running the show.

The Italian National Health Institute ISS has published a new report on test-positive deaths:

• The median age is 80.5 years (79.5 for men, 83.7 for women).
  • 10% of the deceased was over 90 years old; 90% of the deceased was over 70 years old.
  • At most 0.8% of the deceased had no pre-existing chronic illnesses.
  • Approximately 75% of the deceased had two or more pre-existing conditions, 50% had three more pre-existing conditions, in particular heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
  • Five of the deceased were between 31 and 39 years old, all of them with serious pre-existing health conditions (e.g. cancer or heart disease).
  • The National Health Institute hasn’t yet determined what the patients examined ultimately died of and refers to them in general terms as Covid19-positive deaths.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_17_marzo-v2.pdf

Yep, I'd say under 50 was low risk.

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No just this one.

In the old days could have just gone to car, pulled out the shotgun and told the cunts no one is going to be calling the cops and you have 5 minutes to put that stuff back on the shelves or you will need those shopping bags to put your heads in.

6 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Apologies if I haven't recognised your posts.  But I don't think I'm losing sight of anything.  I am not a medical expert, but I have just today been working to implement further travel restrictions that are considered necessary by Chief Health Officers around the country.  If your expertise exceeds theirs, I wonder why you aren't in charge of the pandemic - oh, sorry, everyday event.

There would be a lot of people in Italy and Spain who couldn't give a fuck about your concern for the economy, as they mourn their dead family members.  

And I am in the category that probably wouldn't be triaged to receive a ventilator, so you'll have to excuse me if I think you are being a cunt.

Then, dickhead, if you are in that category, isolate yourself and practice common sense - as I have done. Don't expect the whole fucking country to close down. That's just selfish.

My wife has a 93 year old fiend. We keep checking on her, and she's never home. Turns out she's getting on with life. She knows the risks , but says she would rather die of the virus than die of boredom. Her choice.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dorydude said:

The Italian National Health Institute ISS has published a new report on test-positive deaths:

• The median age is 80.5 years (79.5 for men, 83.7 for women).
  • 10% of the deceased was over 90 years old; 90% of the deceased was over 70 years old.
  • At most 0.8% of the deceased had no pre-existing chronic illnesses.
  • Approximately 75% of the deceased had two or more pre-existing conditions, 50% had three more pre-existing conditions, in particular heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
  • Five of the deceased were between 31 and 39 years old, all of them with serious pre-existing health conditions (e.g. cancer or heart disease).
  • The National Health Institute hasn’t yet determined what the patients examined ultimately died of and refers to them in general terms as Covid19-positive deaths.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_17_marzo-v2.pdf

Yep, I'd say under 50 was low risk.

Nice stats. However you conveniently missed the bit about Italian triage culling older people out for no treatment on account treatment capacity was swamped even after hard lockdown on account slow off the mark. That is exactly your plan.

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No just this one.

It's not xenophobic, nor racist, to despise cunts who do this shit. 

Several days after Cyclone Tracy, the water supply people installed taps on the pipeline running into town, to give access to fresh water.  A certain ethnic group used the water to wash their cars.  They were not treated well.   I wish the same had happened to this mob of fucking maggots.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dorydude said:

Then, dickhead, if you are in that category, isolate yourself and practice common sense - as I have done. Don't expect the whole fucking country to close down. That's just selfish.

Well, dickhead, I live in a semi-rural hinterland location, where social isolation is a daily reality, and I am practicing common sense - what fucking clue have you latched on to that gave you the idea I wasn't. 

I am not EXPECTING the whole country to close down - I am working with people who are trying to keep as much open as possible, consistent with saving lives.  You are foolishly believing your own bullshit - that you know best.  Guess what - you don't.   

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Well, dickhead, I live in a semi-rural hinterland location, where social isolation is a daily reality, and I am practicing common sense - what fucking clue have you latched oguen to that gave you the idea I wasn't. 

I am not EXPECTING the whole country to close down - I am working with people who are trying to keep as much open as possible, consistent with saving lives.  You are foolishly believing your own bullshit - that you know best.  Guess what - you don't.  

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Seems that Vid last December during baby formula shortage in China. LB. you are now Fake News conduit for Pauline Hanson. :P

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thoughts-on-this-woolworths-video-exposes-chinese-shoppers-secret-tactics-051915890.html

Jack - am I missing something?  Your link says it was filmed at Woollies at Docklands - I couldn't find any reference that said it was filmed in China.  I had heard of the video in the last week or so, but had never seen it.

20 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

I couldn't find any reference that said it was filmed in China.

Rec I don't know if you recall but just before Xmas there was a shortage of baby formula in Aust on account Aust Chinese were buying and sending to China on account they value Aust supply as safe where they have had issues there. Scandal of kids dying from formula mixed with melamine comes to mind is one from some time ago.

31 minutes ago, dorydude said:

Dory good to see you have waved the white flag in defeat. Sensible move.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Well, dickhead, I live in a semi-rural hinterland location, where social isolation is a daily reality, and I am practicing common sense - what fucking clue have you latched on to that gave you the idea I wasn't. 

Former Israeli Health Minister, Professor Yoram Lass, says that the new coronavirus is „less dangerous than the flu“ and lockdown measures „will kill more people than the virus“. He adds that „the numbers do not match the panic“ and „psychology is prevailing over science“. He also notes that „Italy is known for its enormous morbidity in respiratory problems, more than three times any other European country.“

A new French study in the Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, titled SARS-CoV-2: fear versus data, concludes that  „the problem of SARS-CoV-2 is probably overestimated“, since „the mortality rate for SARS-CoV-2 is not significantly different from that for common coronaviruses identified at the study hospital in France“.

The UK has removed Covid19 from the official list of High Consquence Infectious Diseases (HCID), stating that mortality rates are „low overall“.

2 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

This is how our Anzac cousins Australia are extending the hand of assistance to Kiwis in need.

Not content with denying long term NZ residents to welfare relief now this.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120653206/coronavirus-new-zealanders-stuck-in-peru-axed-from-charter-flight-lifeline

With no direct flight to NZ isn't that NZ responsibility to organise a Sydney to NZ transit, not Australias??

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Dory good to see you have waved the white flag in defeat. Sensible move.

Nah, just checking my references...

• The director of the German National Health Institute (RKI) admitted that they count all test-positive deaths, irrespective of the actual cause of death, as „coronavirus deaths“. The average age of the deceased is 82 years, most with serious p