Scanned and digitized a lot of old slides from my departed parents and me, going back more than 60 years, otherwise I've got nothing positive, yet. Just hunkered down in cold, grey, wet midwest USA.

• Like 1

First one - the kids on the island are going NUTS not being able to hang out yet out of school and work. They organized a huge parade and about 50 cars went by my house with signs saying things like WE MISS YOU and so on. Brilliant way to do something but not get within contagion reach of each other.

My 80 year old neighbour has told me he’s organised a fresh fruit and veg delivery for next week and did I want anything, also offered me some eggs......community spirit still working. :)

• Like 1

We are shopping for our elderly neighbor frequently, It is all good until she asked me to help build a sail for a miniature longboat for her son's ashes to be carried as the boat burns..

I was thinking WTF/ Cotton, Airex 350, Cuben Fibre, 3DL,  what is next?  Either way, we will try to help.

Sail Safe!

12 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Cotton is the only friendly thing to burn.

Could always burn the kid with some household trash and save the landfills.  Cardboard, used paper towels, sanitary napkins  

21 hours ago, mad said:

Crab will be along soon to complain about the tattoos :P

Someone has to say it - signs of low self esteem. :mellow:  But we support them and they deserve big tips because they look chilly!

Surprised nobody has mentioned GEICO...

THERE IS NO FOOD SHORTAGE!

Saw a clip on the local news that answered the question,

"Is there a food shortage or are panic buyers clearing the grocery shelves shelves?"

The CEO of Publix (major Florida grocery store chain) said shipments to the stores are much higher than normal and there's no reason to be concerned about shortages.

The bad side of this is panic buyers are making things worse for the rest of us.

There is no food shortage in the Ethiopian Famine sense of literally not having any food to eat. There very much is a shortage of people's favorites. My store has endless corned beef and no chicken :wacko:

5 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

There is no food shortage in the Ethiopian Famine sense of literally not having any food to eat. There very much is a shortage of people's favorites. My store has endless corned beef and no chicken :wacko:

You've heard of food deserts? You apparently live in a taste desert

FB- Doug

Sailing clubs in Shanghai starting to re-open. Still with limitations and caution but perhaps shows, Figures in China show about 80,000 positive tests and 74,000 already sent home.

Shows that this thing is beatable - tough times but beatable.

It's been a fucking horrible couple of months and we aren't out of the woods in China yet and the cost in lives and the economy has been painful to watch BUT I think we are turning the corner here.

• Like 4

The good news? I get to work from home which is my favorite place in the world and stay with my favorite people in the world, my family. 

• Like 2

Went for my walk yesterday; the air around Sandusky Bay was preternaturally clear and bright, almost glowing like the south of France. 

Happy chirping birds were everywhere flitting about. 

I'm thinking this situation is OK with Mum Nature

4 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Add a few table spoons on cayenne pepper to the broth of corned beef when cooking, it'll change your life. 

We got an e-mail from New Zealand immigration confirming that visitor visa will be automatically extended to September without our doing anything additional.

So it's nice not to have that worry, even if we have no idea where we can go next.

• Like 1

Want some evidence that the Corona shut-down is kewl with Mum Nature ? (Photos are NO2 levels around Los Angeles pre- and post lockdown.) 

maps_la-Artboard-945.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, toddster said:

New Baby Boom starting in December?

Pretty hard but not impossible to get pregnant whilst maintaining social distancing rules:P

1 minute ago, Priscilla said:

Pretty hard but not impossible to get pregnant whilst maintaining social distancing rules:P

With the whole world on "Netflix & Chill?"

I think it's a lost cause, within the household.  

Just now, toddster said:

With the whole world on "Netflix & Chill?"

I think it's a lost cause, within the household.  

Been a lost cause well before the virus for some.

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Want some evidence that the Corona shut-down is kewl with Mum Nature ? (Photos are NO2 levels around Los Angeles pre- and post lockdown.) 

maps_la-Artboard-945.jpg

China too

Ya want some good news? I'll give ya some good news !!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toddster said:

They’ll be Coronials!

18 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Ya want some good news? I'll give ya some good news !!! 

• Like 1

I finally got the coin together and ordered a new mast and rigging, 2nd generation rudder and sails for my sportboat!

Time to enjoy again is on the way!

Sheltering in in place on a end tie in the tropics, kiddo doing homework and wearing father heart attack inducing cloths. Doing homework on the dock and getting exercise swimming by the boat everyday.  And of course a in house expert at sheltering in place should any questions arise.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Dont worry about a thing, Trumps in charge.

We are all going to die

On 3/26/2020 at 8:38 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

The seafood store is still open - I was reduced to buying rockfish and crab dip - the horror!

I'm sure Hemingway's is doing takeout.... 

Never thought I'd be considering this good news but I just got a confirmation email from Amazon on an order I set up months ago as recurring.  I told myself no way it's TP.  When I opened the email is was for coffee.  

Then I see another email and holy fuck!  It says the TP will be here April 6. 

I'll believe it when I see it.

Better hope it comes in a plain cardboard box.

23 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

maps_la-Artboard-945.jpg

Holy shit!

3 hours ago, Jules said:

Never thought I'd be considering this good news but I just got a confirmation email from Amazon on an order I set up months ago as recurring.  I told myself no way it's TP.  When I opened the email is was for coffee.  

Then I see another email and holy fuck!  It says the TP will be here April 6. 

I'll believe it when I see it.

Coffee coming in the mail is never a bad thing, either.

2 hours ago, IStream said:

Better hope it comes in a plain cardboard box.

I called the police and asked for protection.

8 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Holy shit!

News said NOx was down over 30% worldwide.

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

News said NOx was down over 30% worldwide.

It sucks it had to happen this way.But it’s proof we can do it.

Good news thread... It was a good day. Got the fields plowed, swapped snow tires for summer tires on the cars, dropped the chains and plow from the truck, started a camp fire, and got drunk with my daughter who is refusing here here from San Francisco. It was a good day. No, it was a great day. 

I so wish y'all were able to find some goodness today. Find your moment and relish it. Wishing y'all the best.

Peace.

• Like 1

For the first time in memory our town had no crime in the past 24 hours, no arrests, and no bookings in the jail. This is a town of 100,000. 

Spent today reporposing some old charts. If i can't go out sailing at least i can plan my next trip from the shitter. And each chart has great memories of fun times. 

20200329_170355.jpg

One possible outcome is the vanquishing of the anti-vaccine nutcases, Trump included.

• Like 1

I got the skiff into the garage for a little touch up. I’m going to strip the brightwork and stain and apply Awlwood as the finish. A former owner had used polyurethane and that is delaminating so it’s time to do it right.

Then I’m going to paint the topsides white to match my cutter.

6267CF26-9D61-4449-A73E-03817625E8F3.jpeg

01E0755B-0EB5-4AA3-8064-41C78B518C2F.jpeg

I finally got a truck illegally parked on my property gone with the help of the police after a monthlong dispute with a new renting neighbor. It almost wound up with me having to fight a fat dude and a slim 20 year old who were looking to fight. I’m pretty good at being the last man standing when shit goes bad, but I kept backing away when they approached so I wouldn’t get infected and give it to my old Dad. The fat guy tried to apologize later when the police made him move his truck, said we should get together and have a barbecue to mend our new relationship. I declined. :rolleyes:

Now I look out the window and see a nice wide open lawn without a 1997 Dodge pickup with rust sitting abandoned.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:42 PM, toddster said:

First Children, mainly....

On 3/26/2020 at 4:42 PM, toddster said:

With a generation of Quatanteens starting in 2033

Dr. Vladimir Zelenko has now treated 699 coronavirus patients with 100% success using Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Zinc and Z-Pak [UPDATES]

March 28, 2020

March 31 UpdateDr. Vladimir Zelenko provides important update on three drug regimen of Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate, Zinc and Azithromycin (Z-Pak) he used to effectively treat 699 coronavirus patients with 100% success

Last Wednesday, we published the success story from Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, a board-certified family practitioner in New York, after he successfully treated 350 coronavirus patients with 100 percent success using a cocktail of drugs: hydroxychloroquine, in combination with azithromycin (Z-Pak), an antibiotic to treat secondary infections, and zinc sulfate.  Dr. Zelenko said he saw the symptom of shortness of breath resolved within four to six hours after treatment.

Now, Dr. Zelenko provides updates on the treatment after he successfully treated 699 COVID-19 patients in New York. In an exclusive interview with former New York Mayor, Rudy Giuliani, Dr. Vladmir Zelenko shares the results of his latest study, which showed that out of his 699 patients treated, zero patients died, zero patients intubated, and four hospitalizations.

Dr. Zelenko said the whole treatment costs only $20 over a period of 5 days with 100% success. He defines success as “Not to die.” Dr. Zelenko first posted his Facebook video message last week calling on President Trump to “advise the country that they should be taking this medication.”

There are many other success stories about hydroxychloroquine across the country. Last week, Dr. William Grace, an oncologist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, said they’ve not had a single death in their hospital because of  hydroxychloroquine. “Thanks to hydroxychloroquine, we have not had a death in our hospital,’ Dr. Grace said.

Also, in a study conducted by the National Institute of Health (NIH) also confirmed some of Dr. Dr. Zelenko’s findings. The study by NIH showed that Zinc supplementation decreases the morbidity of lower respiratory tract infection in pediatric patients in the developing world. A second study also conducted by NIH titled: “In Vitro Antiviral Activity and Projection of Optimized Dosing Design of Hydroxychloroquine for the Treatment of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2),” also showed hydroxychloroquine to be more potent in killing the virus off in vitro (in the test tube and not in the body).

https://techstartups.com/2020/03/28/dr-vladimir-zelenko-now-treated-699-coronavirus-patients-100-success-using-hydroxychloroquine-sulfate-zinc-z-pak-update/

100% success hard to get any better than that.

Of course we should let public servants and government red tape get in the way of trying this out on critical patients.

I’ve heard that eating slightly corroded galvanized washers will give you zinc poisoning faster than new ones. Please experiment and report 

Some good news, paraphrasing Camus (from The Plague): every 24 hours you manage to live through this ordeal, is one day closer to the end of it. 

Grifters never stop grifting. 

I can setup a fake clinical trial with sugar pills and claim 98% effectiveness. 

The cruise industry is parking their ships off south Florida and the Bahamas. (Blue icons in Marine Traffic). The Zaandam is not one of these, it is still rounding the west end of Cuba.

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 7.30.06 AM.png

Here's a happy little tune about COVID-19 that should make you smile:

Hope y'all doing good. Today was good here, no great. After a week of flip-flops and shorts, winter returned. Monday morning we were getting 1" per hour of the fluffy stuff down where I live. Snowed all week, but largely melted at our place by late afternoon. Still, it was warm, sunny and snowing all at the same time, and it still is.

Things cooled off last night, and at 5 am this morning, we had several inches at our house. Screw work, I am self isolating today. Amazing day. Snowed most the day, with sun breaking out in the afternoon. Things really warmed up when the sun was out, but the next cloud brought more snow.

Made it home by 4:00, smiling, but exhausted from a great ski day. Just in time for a 4:20 tribute to John Prine. I sure hope our happiness (and smiles) somehow brings him (and y'all) a bit of comfort. We are listening to you John. What joy he gives us.

Hope y'all can find comfort in something. We will make it though this, or be smiling trying.

British Columbia's rate of new cases is steady. Social distancing and shutting everything down works. Going to park and hanging out with your friends or gathering at weddings, churches etc are bad.

Most of our cases were in long term care facilities - where staff worked at multiple locations and became the carriers!

image.png.c53c189de46c254df2d0eb09fe89551b.png

On 3/31/2020 at 9:33 PM, AnotherSailor said:

Some good news, paraphrasing Camus (from The Plague): every 24 hours you manage to live through this ordeal, is one day closer to the end of it. 

Was it Camus (or Sartre?) who said ‘Hell is other people’?  Other people with SARS CoV -2, at least....

10 hours ago, Amati said:

Was it Camus (or Sartre?) who said ‘Hell is other people’?  Other people with SARS CoV -2, at least....

Sartre, in the play 'No Exit'.  Put it on your Corona reading list.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bugsy said:

In graduate school, I lived next to the ‘No Exit Rooming House’!  It’s on my bookshelf.  (The Play). I’ve got lots of time to reread.  Thanks!

Spring is the best time of year, even staying home I can appreciate it.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:23 AM, toad said:

Dont worry about a thing, Trumps in charge.

We are all going to die

You have to laugh that he won’t wear a mask in front of other world leaders because he would look stilly. The fund to get a black op mission to kidnap Boris and deliver him to the Oval Office has reached $1.56 Billion 

On 4/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, Bugsy said:

L'enfer, c'est les autres.

2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

L'enfer, c'est les autres.

sans doute!

But I found a better stash... It is a long story to peck into my phone, so when it lacks coherency, please leave at any time.

This story starts about 10 years ago. My wife receives a call from a neighbor... "Can you please stop by and help me out?" Bit weird, but she agrees to stop by on her way to town, which is about 25 miles away. The neighbor is an amazing craftsman. He salvaged a mansion back in Illinois, and built a house here completely trimmed out from the wood he salvaged. It is truly amazing. Absolutely beautiful house.

He and is wife are into fused glass and he has a monster kiln in his basement, not to mention my envy of his shop. Totally different league than us. Things we only dream about. He is also into glass blowing, and did a class in Hawaii. 

Okay, back on topic... oh, but did I mention the safe room? They has a completely hidden and secure safe room. Never heard of them before, and I just didn't understand the concept.  Okay, back on topic...

So, my soulmate (wife) arrives and our neighbor starts filling her car with 2-foot tall, perfectly manicured marijuana plants, sativa. He picked up a slew of seeds that he could safely fly back with from Hawaii. His house was for sale and he was tired of hauling all his plants between the green house and safe room whenever there was a showing, so he wanted to unload some.

Cool. Once loaded, my wife proceeds to town, and about 10 miles in, the fragrance brings her to her senses and she does a Uee, turning back, overwhelmed with paranoia. 

Once home, she moves the plants between the raised beds in our garden. Come fall, it was scary and amazing at the same time. We shared what we could, and consumed our share (which really is not that much), kept some on hand, then vacuumed sealed and stuck the rest in the freezer of an old fridge that I converted to a kegerator, with multiple taps for homebrew. 

Well, about two years ago, that fridge didn't quite die, but our main fridge did. Replaced the main fridge and ordered a new compressor fan motor for it. Yikes, $200 for a frigin fan motor. 

So let's replace the beer fridge with the newly repaired one. Bonus, how cool would it be to convert the water dispenser on that fridge to be a beer dispenser. 

I forgot where this story was... but I unplugged the old fridge and started mopping up water and chipping ice out of the totally iced over freezer. After about an hour, something stared to emerge from that ice filled cavern. Hour or so later, I finally resurrected the hidden object. Holy shit, about a pound of nicely preserved, vacuum sealed bags of homegrown sativa. That made my day.

About 7 o'clock tonight, I went out to go fetch our mail. About a dozen deer were running across our pasture, but one got hung up in our barbless wire fence. She was upside down and lifeless. I thought she impaled herself on a post.

Went back to the house to get a pistol and knive. Five minutes later, still no movement. I was sure she was dead. But as I approached, she made some noise. There was no sign of physical injury, but somehow she got one of the middle wires behind a front leg and in front of her chest, flipped and got her head on the other side of the next wire down. She was literally suspended upside down, between the wires, supported by just one wire.

After accessing the situation, I went back to fetch the fencing pliers. She struggled as I approached a second time, so I gave her a wide berth, went to the nearby corner post and undid the wire supporting her.

Once loose, she fell to the ground, but promptly got up, ran down the driveway and leaped over two more fences, this time giving them a wide berth.

That was pretty cool.

The alternative would have horrific. Eaten alive by coyotes.